Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just got a message from a friend of a friend on Facebook.

"Yo...so my mom is sending me all of my baseball cards from my childhood. Just found a bunch of MTG cards from circa 1993. Are there any potential cards that you would like? Was thinking of cataloguing to see what’s there but won’t bother if they’re outdated."

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would be excited for old art stasis done as a masterpiece/borderless/super secret rare parallel foil card. MTG art still hasn't beaten Stasis as best card art, after all these years

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

I would be excited for old art stasis done as a masterpiece/borderless/super secret rare parallel foil card. MTG art still hasn't beaten Stasis as best card art, after all these years

"Look at me, I'm the DCI"

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Owlbear Camus posted:

"Yo...so my mom is sending me all of my baseball cards from my childhood. Just found a bunch of MTG cards from circa 1993. Are there any potential cards that you would like? Was thinking of cataloguing to see what’s there but won’t bother if they’re outdated."

Tell him to send over any cats and pitch the rest?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I think my favorite old school artist is DiTerlizzi. Very cool, versatile style but also very clean and easy to parse what's going on in the scene. As far as modern artists Jason Chan and Igor Kieryluk come to mind as standouts, although that might be because they've both done their fair share of marquee cards.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I still associate DiTerlizzi with AD&D Dark Sun. Jason Chan has some really cool art, I always liked Twilight Shepherd. The spirit avatar cycle really got my attention in sets I already loved the art for, Shadowmoor and Eventide. Greg Staples' Divinity of Pride and Chippy's Overbeing of Myth especially.

Willeh posted:

Did anyone mention Richard Kane Ferguson yet for favorite artist? His Dakkon Blackblade is one of the most iconic characters imo.

RKF and Dakkon were my favorite in the 90s for sure. Christopher Rush and Jesper Myrfos in The Dark.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bagrada posted:

I still associate DiTerlizzi with AD&D Dark Sun. Jason Chan has some really cool art, I always liked Twilight Shepherd. The spirit avatar cycle really got my attention in sets I already loved the art for, Shadowmoor and Eventide. Greg Staples' Divinity of Pride and Chippy's Overbeing of Myth especially.

RKF and Dakkon were my favorite in the 90s for sure. Christopher Rush and Jesper Myrfos in The Dark.

Dark Sun was mostly Thomas Baxa and Brom. DiTerlizzi was far more involved with Planescape. rk post did a bunch of Planescape, as well as TSR's later sci-fi RPG, Alternity.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bust Rodd posted:

The worst part is that they just did the Anime walkers, the glass walkers, and the absolutely BONKERS comic-book Ikoria alternates which is some of the coolest looking magic cards ever printed. They could go so weird and cool and I would be completely about it.

Sadly, they've realized they can just sell different art styles, whether through ultra rare cards / collectors packs or secret lairs. I'd say the odds of weird art coming back to regular cards are lower than they've ever been.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Bust Rodd posted:

The worst part is that they just did the Anime walkers, the glass walkers, and the absolutely BONKERS comic-book Ikoria alternates which is some of the coolest looking magic cards ever printed. They could go so weird and cool and I would be completely about it.

God those comic book art cards were amazing. Too bad they’re mostly mutate creatures that are totally useless outside draft and Otrimi commander decks.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Arivia posted:

Dark Sun was mostly Thomas Baxa and Brom. DiTerlizzi was far more involved with Planescape. rk post did a bunch of Planescape, as well as TSR's later sci-fi RPG, Alternity.

And BROM has done a bunch of mtg cards as well including some very iconic cards. Most of it is tempest - urzas era, but nothing since Mirrodin though. :(

edit oh poo poo Baxa has as well. More than 2x the amount BROM did, and quite a few iconic ones.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait Christopher Rush died?! gently caress! Next to ron spencer, he is up there for my favorite mtg artists :smith:

Owlbear Camus posted:

Back in the 90s I had a Merfolk deck and really dug the art on Merfolk Assassin by Dennis Detwiller.

I am a sucker for art that has a sort of "narrative flow" to it and draws you in to imagine the "story" going on. Who was in the boat? Was this business or personal for this merman?

Even baked in some synergies to get some use out of his weird niche ability.

I follow the artist on Twitter because he's also one of my fave RPG writers, and he recently did a redux version which may be better "technically" excecuted but loses some of the comic-booky charm of the original:

Gimme all your "thing in background with goofy motherfucker mean-muggin' the camera" cards like merfolk assassin

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I swear at some point ~ 5 years ago Maro was saying they were shying away from alternate art promos because people use the art to identify cards while playing far more than the actual text.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
For me it's RK Post, I got to meet him at GP Philly back in '12 and he was the nicest guy, super into doing alters. I still use the signed alt art Morphling playmat I got there. His stuff had a good mix of clean photorealism but could also knock out the alien aspect of Magic too.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was always a fan of Jesper Myrfors. At one point I was trying to make a Myrfors deck.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Please keep us posted, old MTG collections are always a fun lottery to hear about. I had a similar situation with a friend once but the only non-chaff card was a whiteborder Lord of Atlantis.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Jeff Laubenstein has been one of my favorites since I met him at a GP ages ago. Super nice guy with a pretty fun cartoony style you don’t get these days.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Arivia posted:

Oh right I did mix him up with Brom. DiTerlizzi was in the Planescape monster manuals I had.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Can you flicker a meddling mage to act like a counter?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Can you flicker a meddling mage to act like a counter?

no, because the card has already been played.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Crackbone posted:

I swear at some point ~ 5 years ago Maro was saying they were shying away from alternate art promos because people use the art to identify cards while playing far more than the actual text.

It was probably true then. New WOTC is nothing like 5 years ago. Basically they discovered the concept of whales and/or someone realized what people spend on the secondary market and realized all that money was being left on the table. They've charged full speed ahead to embrace customers who will spend stupid amounts of money while trying to have products for non-whales so they have someone to play with more or less. The only thing they haven't done yet is premium product cards with higher power level, but I'd be shocked if they weren't exploring it in some way. The $100 pack is irresistible from a corporate standpoint, because as long as you forecast reasonably well you're going to make tons because your production costs for the cards don't go up, but get to mark it up a zillion %. None of the outrage matters from "the community" because they know they have customers for the product.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jassi007 posted:

It was probably true then. New WOTC is nothing like 5 years ago. Basically they discovered the concept of whales and/or someone realized what people spend on the secondary market and realized all that money was being left on the table. They've charged full speed ahead to embrace customers who will spend stupid amounts of money while trying to have products for non-whales so they have someone to play with more or less. The only thing they haven't done yet is premium product cards with higher power level, but I'd be shocked if they weren't exploring it in some way. The $100 pack is irresistible from a corporate standpoint, because as long as you forecast reasonably well you're going to make tons because your production costs for the cards don't go up, but get to mark it up a zillion %. None of the outrage matters from "the community" because they know they have customers for the product.

Secret lair could have not only been very profitable for WOTC ( i mean it currently is no question), but it also could be been infinitely more well received if they just could have a bit of self control. Imagine a world where certain cards needed reprints but were too problematic to put into a set? Bam, secret lair that poo poo for a reasonable price and you profit while getting good pub. Instead, they printed sets of fetchlands at what they cost currently in the second market and got bad pub.

There is just a point where this negitively affects the player base too much and implodes right?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Chamale posted:

Please keep us posted, old MTG collections are always a fun lottery to hear about. I had a similar situation with a friend once but the only non-chaff card was a whiteborder Lord of Atlantis.

I mean we're talking ABU and early expansions if he's right about when the cards are from. I'll let the thread know what's in the pile.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

There is just a point where this negitively affects the player base too much and implodes right?

There's a chance that paper magic just doesn't recover from the pandemic-induced slump, yes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

There's a chance that paper magic just doesn't recover from the pandemic-induced slump, yes.

It's a possibility, though it's also totally possible that paper will bounce back hard in 2021 or early 2022 because people will be very eager to get out and be social again.

Like everything else, the future is uncertain right now.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Magic isn't too big to fail, but if it does it's death will be a slow one. There's enough of a full economy built around M:tG out there that is partially, if not completely, dependent on Magic's success to keep existing that people will spend entire personal fortunes and every bit of social capital they've acquired. It's death could take years to complete, even after a point where it's entirely irreversible, simply because there's enough people invested in it not failing.

The problem is, of course, that Wizards and Hasbro has made it very clear that they know this and it would take more then some really hateful anti-consumer business practices to kill Magic at this point

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know if Hasbro/wotc are smart enough to realize that magic isn't too big to fail imo. they're going to keep pushing the envelope and when each thing they do doesn't immediately kill magic, they'll conclude that the market can handle it and stay the course

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You guys, I dunno how to break this to you, but MtG has probably made more money from Arena whales in the last 2 years than they’ve made off paper cards over the last decade. Typically paper players see paper magic and OP magic as the juggernaught of the game but times have changed and there is no doubt in my mind that Hasbro recognizes that Arena is absolutely their chief income source moving forward.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The Klowner posted:

I don't know if Hasbro/wotc are smart enough to realize that magic isn't too big to fail imo. they're going to keep pushing the envelope and when each thing they do doesn't immediately kill magic, they'll conclude that the market can handle it and stay the course

They may not be, but to Mr. Locke's point look at large businesses that have failed. Kodak, Blockbuster, Toys'R'Us. They continued for years being unprofitable trying this and that to right the ship. WotC is one of the most profitable arms of Hasbro, so they're no where near death. If you'd see a sustained downturn in their profits the first thing you'll see is all sort of key leadership changes, like they'd retire Maro and Aaron Forscythe etc. Frankly as poo poo as it may be, they're currently on an upswing increasing profits from a small but lucrative segment of their customers.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Mox Opal (as was leaked) and Ensnaring Bridge, both at Mythic.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Chill la Chill posted:

They should reprint it with modern super realistic looking art but depicting the same scene of a blindfolded kangaroo with a ball, pierrot clown and artists palette on a seesaw under moonlight.

Sebs new art is beautiful though, despite the lack of kangaroos.

Also double masters starting to look not bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not for nothing but many Asian streamers and content creators are SUPER DUPER pissed about the new bob art. I looked around for clips and found a lot of Chinese and Japanese clips (but not in English) but holy crap that art is, potential racism notwithstanding, extremely bad.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Most of the box topper art has been pretty bad imo. Although I actually like the MM bob art more than the ravnica original.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

WotC has greenlit some objectively lovely art lately, e.g.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ll just come out and say that the art for C21 is the worst in years and all the dogs look FUCKIN STUPID.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ll just come out and say that the art for C21 is the worst in years and all the dogs look FUCKIN STUPID.

Thank you for this brave stance and interesting post

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Everything about this sucks, from the insane perspective warping to the bloated Rob Liefield thighs to the impossibly stupid idea of dog armor, I hate this set lol... too bad PawBlade is the only fun standard deck right now. At least I can play with Winota somewhere.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The cat art, on the other hand, is wonderful. 🐾

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Bust Rodd posted:

Everything about this sucks, from the insane perspective warping to the bloated Rob Liefield thighs to the impossibly stupid idea of dog armor, I hate this set lol... too bad PawBlade is the only fun standard deck right now. At least I can play with Winota somewhere.

i, too, will die on the "dogs in the magical childrens game would not be wearing armor" hill

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
apologies for the "haul post", but I got around to opening the other two booster boxes I had picked up alongside the first. Are these fairly indicative of the outcomes of a typical booster box nowadays? the mythics/rares and any foil mythics/rares shown, not the foil commons/uncommons.

one box was a loving banger with the foil borderless ugin and a regular ugin as well, as well as terror of the peaks, full art massacre wurm, among others(and like 4 of that adorable dog card that's a beagle in armor happily charging to the rescue). then a seemingly decent box with a non-foil ugin and some borderless foils, and a third fairly nondescript box.

Getting three Massacre Wurms makes me want to make a deck around them, plus they're creepy as hell.

and each box had about a booster's worth of foils, which is nicer than the like, 3 foils you'd get in the booster boxes when I was playing during urza block. though I think I liked the way those foils looked better(outside of the new ones that incorporate the foil aspect into the card art itself, like the one where it's a screaming face and his entire mouth and eyes are just all foil)

I'm the sort of person who will buy a lego set and immediately build something other than the instructions say, using only the parts in that set. I would do similar things with magic cards; only buy boosters and trade for anything I wanted to put in my decks from other people in the game store rather than go buy singles, not that I could afford them. it was a different beast though, since ebay wasn't really a big thing yet and so the LGS was the only reliable source for rares, which were invariably pricey. 15 dollar Emperor Crocodile, anyone?

Thinking I'll sell the three Ugins and come out with a sizeable collection for comparatively little. Anything else I should offload, or are just the Ugins worth selling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bust Rodd posted:

no that dog rules and is going to save the day