Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
We have a sewing machine, but almost no flat space to actually work.

I still need to do more sewing projects, but it's just another in the long list of things I can find minimal motivation for because the things I'd be making are for LARPs largely and they;'re all cancelled for at least a year.

E: 315 years ago on 23 July 1705, this guy was born who is apparently notable enough to have a wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Blomefield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Real life can be larping if you're brave enough.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

We don't even have space to loving paint miniatures, which my wife was thinking of taking up last year so we could do our D&D characters on HeroForge.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I would dearly love a catte - its 7 years now since my last kittie shuffled off and I now feel ready for another (though until maybe last year it would have felt like a complete betrayal of the two kitties I had for 16/17 years to get a new kittie.)

But my lease forbids it (I'm an owner - in our flats we're all both leaseholders and also share of freehold.) American friends can't get their heads around me owning my own place and not being allowed a pet even though it's not unheard of in leaseholds.

I figure maybe I'll do any long distance travelling (haha) and then perhaps go for an older cat (and hope no one notices!)

Someone mentioned earlier that pets is a 'boomer' thing. For a lot of older people especially those with mobility problems, the only person they get to 'speak' to for days or weeks on end is their pet. They're very much companions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But my lease forbids it (I'm an owner - in our flats we're all both leaseholders and also share of freehold.) American friends can't get their heads around me owning my own place and not being allowed a pet even though it's not unheard of in leaseholds.

That's weird given the US concept of homeowner's associations.

Which is like if you had a landlord except your landlord was an amalgamation of the biggest assholes on the street, and also was invented because of racism.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I would dearly love a catte - its 7 years now since my last kittie shuffled off and I now feel ready for another (though until maybe last year it would have felt like a complete betrayal of the two kitties I had for 16/17 years to get a new kittie.)

I figure maybe I'll do any long distance travelling (haha) and then perhaps go for an older cat (and hope no one notices!)

Someone mentioned earlier that pets is a 'boomer' thing. For a lot of older people especially those with mobility problems, the only person they get to 'speak' to for days or weeks on end is their pet. They're very much companions.

Leaseholds is just another form of landlordism TBH, and almost uniquely British one at that.

Other countries also have systems in place for taking care of common land and they can sometimes ban pets too, they're just generally less explicitly capitalist/feudal ones which don't somehow substitute ownership for a long-term lease. Even if it's very-close-but-not-quite ownership in practice.

e: Like as Owl said especially the US HOAs are pretty crazy too, but in different ways and don't involve shared ownership. They're mostly insane for sometimes preventing you from selling your property without their consent and being able to levy fines. Oddly quite similar to what USSR used to do.

Well I guess China does the lease thing too, but at least it's from the government.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 23, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

That's weird given the US concept of homeowner's associations.

Which is like if you had a landlord except your landlord was an amalgamation of the biggest assholes on the street, and also was invented because of racism.
Also condos, where you own the apartment outright, but there's a bunch of weird rules because it's part of a block (and some sensible ones like you can't dynamite your supporting walls, but which are an infringement of the natural liberty to dynamite your supporting walls to some Americans).

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

90% of pet owners should just get tamigotchis

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah, pets aren't allowed in my building without explicit permission from the landowner. When we 'bought' our flat(it's a leasehold ofc) I insisted on getting said permission in writing from them before I'd sign anything so they couldn't change their mind at the last minute. Trying to find a place to rent with cats was miserable, nine out of ten places I enquired about just gave me a flat 'absolutely no pets allowed, no, never' and several that did allow them wanted to add on a frankly ridiculous charge to the rent.

Adopting those cats was probably the best thing I've ever done though, I don't regret it for a second.

Well, maybe for a second when they do a big stinky poo poo in the litterbox next to my desk while I'm working.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

Leaseholds is just another form of landlordism TBH, and almost uniquely British one at that.

On the whole, yes. However, my lease is for nearly 200 years and as I said, in this particular case, we (the leaseholders) are ALSO the freeholders so we don't have ground rents (peppercorn) and we also manage our own service charges and so forth.
Not a common arrangement, that I'm aware of!

Ed: and as a part freeholder, I am also about to become Chair of the residents' group (the freeholders) and maybe I can flex the pet bit. After all, there is a clause about not running a business from home but apparently the previous occupant of my flat did exactly that (I mean a business that has customers visiting) and no one did anything about it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 23, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I know someone in an arrangement like that, it seems to most often happen when a big old building like a church or hospital is divided into residences, but they want to sell all the residences rather than rent farm them.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I know someone in an arrangement like that, it seems to most often happen when a big old building like a church or hospital is divided into residences, but they want to sell all the residences rather than rent farm them.

My block is a purpose built mid-1990s 'over 55s' not a conversion so quite rare.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I listened to a bit of radio 4 earlier where they interviewed a ‘typical family’ about their opinions of the government and Johnson. Some of them were first time Tory voters in 2019. They all said that Johnson and the government are doing a good job, the pandemic would tough for anyone to manage, Johnson getting COVID-19 was an ‘equaliser’, etc. Even the Labour voter praised Sunak. There was no mention of the shocking death toll, the signs pointing towards an NHS sell off, the lack of progress in EU trade talks.

Made me a bit depressed but also made me wonder if I’m just out of touch with the average voter - they don’t care about a lot of the stuff I do and are so different in terms of opinions. It’s also hard not to retreat to a form of spite - if people are happy with this shitshow of a country, maybe they deserve it?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Anyone recommend a good website blocker for Google Chrome?
I need to block twitter for a few days as I'm getting obsessive.
(I know I could still access it from other devices / browsers but I want the easy 'go to' blocked.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Your router might be able to block sites, what type is it?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Just jokingly threaten to kill someone on there, that'll sort your problem.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

uBlock Origins is a good extension that can do that

Just add *twitter.com as a filter

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Your router might be able to block sites, what type is it?

It's a 4G Huwaiwei home hub thingy. I'd rather just do it on the browser so if I get desperate and start clawing the walls I can override it.

Ratjaculation posted:

uBlock Origins is a good extension that can do that

Just add *twitter.com as a filter

Cheers, I'll try that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lady Gaza posted:

if people are happy with this shitshow of a country, maybe they deserve it?

They do, my issue is that they see fit to inflict it on me as well.

If we could put them in some sort of hell country and build a big wall around it and let them fester that would be nice but sadly that isn't how it works.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's a 4G Huwaiwei home hub thingy. I'd rather just do it on the browser so if I get desperate and start clawing the walls I can override it.
Most of those have Parental Controls under the Security tab in the settings page that can block a site by url, and you can just turn it off if you want to access it.

That covers all devices too, but it might be more time consuming to turn on and off than a browser plugin.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just say some stuff critical of Xi Jinping on Twitter and it'll be blocked soon enough.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Lady Gaza posted:

I listened to a bit of radio 4 earlier where they interviewed a ‘typical family’ about their opinions of the government and Johnson. Some of them were first time Tory voters in 2019. They all said that Johnson and the government are doing a good job, the pandemic would tough for anyone to manage, Johnson getting COVID-19 was an ‘equaliser’, etc. Even the Labour voter praised Sunak. There was no mention of the shocking death toll, the signs pointing towards an NHS sell off, the lack of progress in EU trade talks.

Made me a bit depressed but also made me wonder if I’m just out of touch with the average voter - they don’t care about a lot of the stuff I do and are so different in terms of opinions. It’s also hard not to retreat to a form of spite - if people are happy with this shitshow of a country, maybe they deserve it?

Average voters watch and read the news, and all the news is run by Tories.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lady Gaza posted:

Radio 4's idea of "typical" is not exactly going to be representative of the country

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kingturnip posted:

Radio 4's idea of "typical" is not exactly going to be representative of the country

It's grim up north london.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Talk radio are going for the antisemitism in labour story again like it’s 2019 again so I’m not surprised that the worst government in living memory isn’t thought of as such

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ublock origin is also the best adblocker now so you got that going too.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

All fudge orders have been shipped/dropped off!

Again, please refrigerate the goodies once they arrive to enjoy them at their best- the warm weather is making fudge very gooey!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was in a similar boat. My wife and I had been renting an apartment in Dublin for two years. While it was nice being on our own, I didn't like city life. And we both hated not being able to keep being able to keep pets.

One loophole I found (lawyer here.) Is the details said I couldn't keep pets.
But they said there was nothing against leaving out bowls of food for neighbourhood cats and befriend them.
(We got about three cats who would even come into the house and let us pet them because we fed them.)

Maybe it will help your situation?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Lady Gaza posted:

Even the Labour voter praised Sunak.

He's so obviously going to be the next PM, so much so in fact I'm surprised he hasn't been reshuffled. Give it a year and he'll be the man who singlehandedly saved the economy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

He's so obviously going to be the next PM, so much so in fact I'm surprised he hasn't been reshuffled. Give it a year and he'll be the man who singlehandedly saved the economy

In a year, we'll have had a diamond-hard Brexit.

What economy?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I think i would wager that Sunak won't ever be PM. This always happens in the downseason, someone comes across as competent, the entire liberal commentariat collectively creams their jeans and bigs them up. David, Stewart, hell even Patel had this effect shined on them at various times recently.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Darth Walrus posted:

In a year, we'll have had a diamond-hard Brexit.

What economy?

Yeah he'll be the face of cutting off your furlough and more benefits caps to keep the debt down this time next year while everything is getting asset stripped so favourable opinion now won't last.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah Sunak will be reshuffled before he can make a play for the leadership, and even if he tried it I imagine a lot of tory mps wouldn't back him because mysteriously they find him a bit "uppity" and "full of himself" for some reason.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

The Question IRL posted:

I was in a similar boat. My wife and I had been renting an apartment in Dublin for two years. While it was nice being on our own, I didn't like city life. And we both hated not being able to keep being able to keep pets.

But they said there was nothing against leaving out bowls of food for neighbourhood cats and befriend them.
(We got about three cats who would even come into the house and let us pet them because we fed them.)

Did you know the owners and get permission? Ask them about any special diets?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

I never see any cats around here! In my last flat 5 mins walk away I never saw any either.
It's so weird after Cairo where they are everywhere (albeit feral skinny scrappy little things.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Fatty posted:

Did you know the owners and get permission? Ask them about any special diets?

Of course not.
Because I didn't own these cats.

We had asked the owner if we could get a cat and were never given an answer, which we took as a no.
And we respected that decision.

Instead what we did was we saw cats come up to our "Living Room/Kitchen" window and meow at us.
We then got some bowls and would periodically feed these cats, let them inside and pet them. And eventually let them out when they wanted to leave.

But we never owned these cats.
We couldn't control them or summon them on demand.
But we did get to give them scratches and the odd belly rub.

One time, this big orange tabby cat we called Bruiser because he looked like a big, tough fighting cat. (Turned out his name was Joe.)

One morning we see Bruiser on the roof of the garden shed outside our apartment. He was being attacked by two magpies. One would start flapping its wings, getting in his face while the other would pull at his tail. Then when Bruiser would turn around, the other magpie would attack the tail.

In the end Bruiser just kind of meekly rolled onto his back with his paws up to try and get them to stop.

He then slid off the roof of the garden shed and fell onto the ground.

It was the saddest thing ever. We went outside and had to let Bruiser hid inside our apartment until the Magpie's left. Poor Bruiser, he was a huge softy.

But never owned any cats at the apartment. So never broke any terms of the lease.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah Sunak will be reshuffled before he can make a play for the leadership, and even if he tried it I imagine a lot of tory mps wouldn't back him because mysteriously they find him a bit "uppity" and "full of himself" for some reason.

Or he'll be left carrying the can when there's a no deal brexit hit to the economy and that nice shine will be gone very quickly.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I never see any cats around here! In my last flat 5 mins walk away I never saw any either.
It's so weird after Cairo where they are everywhere (albeit feral skinny scrappy little things.)

That's so strange. Cats are normally everywhere. They love exploring and patrolling.
The fact that there is no cats at your location should paradoxically make cats want to go there even more and claim it as virgin territory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

Of course not.
Because I didn't own these cats.

We had asked the owner if we could get a cat and were never given an answer, which we took as a no.
And we respected that decision.

The owners of the cats, I think, not the owners of the property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Yeah, you got free cats without having to worry about vet bills, despite the fact you may have been doing them active harm with what you were feeding them.

Personally, I'd be furious if someone fed my cat without talking to me first.