Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

$500 car
$1000 Home Depot shed
$5400 driveshaft

Those are FWD. I'm actually a bit impressed by the idea.

Those vans are dirt cheap here in Texas... Hmm.....

I just became the OSHA, didn't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Probably posted here before but hey, it still terrifies the gently caress out of me.

https://i.imgur.com/fB8DU4q.gifv

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
:stonk:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nope!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Musluk posted:

Probably posted here before but hey, it still terrifies the gently caress out of me.

Holy gently caress. I was like, am I watching someone die? :gonk:

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

I still have one of those stab-lok boxes in my house, estimates are always like $2k to replace it so I've never been able to do it. I suppose with the current situation I actually have money laying around, maybe it's time to find some plague bearers to give some new quotes

Depending on your local ordinances, replacing your own breaker panel is fairly easy and cheap--size out your current panel (if it's built into the wall, you'll want a box of the same or smaller dimensions, make a list of all your existing breakers--say, 2 50-Amp dipole (Oven, Dryer), 10 20-Amp singles (various outlets, lights) 1 20-Amp dipole (well pump), 10 15-Amp singles (various lights, outlets); pull the cover off (carefully) to make sure some jackass didn't run multiple circuits to a single breaker (in which case you'll need additional breakers--one breaker per circuit.) Then go to Lowes/Home Despot and grab a new 150/200 amp panel--with a main breaker--as appropriate for your existing feed amperage, and the matching model/brand breakers to fill it in. Also purchase appropriately-sized wire clamps for the knockouts you'll be putting in the box. You shouldn't be out more that $3-400 for the replacement components. Square-D Homeline has been my go-to; QO is a little better but a bit pricier. Unless you have 3-phase coming in to your house, you really don't need QO.

Depending on your electricity company, you'll need to call in to have them cut off service or tell them you'll be pulling the meter and to send someone out to re-tag it on such-and-such a date. If you're really lucky, you'll have a separate cutoff for the meter feed and won't need to have the meter pulled. I had that at this house...unfortunately, the cutoff was a Federal Pacific 200 Amp breaker (not Stab-lok) so I just pulled the meter and replaced the whole thing.

Pull your panel cover off, survey the wires and where they come into the box, remove the appropriate knockouts in the new box and install the clamps so you can slip the wires through. Then cut off the main breaker--make sure there's NO electricity passing through the old panel, and--this is where we go OSHA--go outside and pull your meter (or have your electrician pull the meter.) (If you have any electricity still flowing, you run into the possibility of arcing when you pull the meter. The proper method for pulling the meter allegedly involves a whole bunch of arc-protection PPE that I've never seen any electrician use when working on residential feeds.)

With power cut, remove the old panel, install the new one, carefully wrestle the wires into the box, then install them properly in the appropriate places--hots to the breaker, neutrals to the neutral bus, grounds to the grounding bar. If this is your main panel (the panel that the meter feeds), you'll need to install the bonding screw to bond neutral to ground (per local code,)--unless you have a ground coming from the transformer; most homes have a separate ground (copper-clad stake in the ground and a bare wire fed to the panel), which requires neutral bonding at the service disconnect panel.

The mains will be thick and a lot of fun to deal with--I had 2/0 AWG for my mains and for runs to a subpanel, it was like trying to wrestle a steel octopus. Make sure everything is tight and connected properly, all breakers off, reinstall the meter, and bring up the main bus and the breakers one-by-one. Easy-peasy. There's tons of resources out there to walk you through this. If your local ordinances require it, have it inspected before reinstalling the meter and powering it back up. And leave a bit of spare capacity so you can add circuits later.

You'll probably find yourself un-loving existing unsafe stuff in the box, like a lack of grounds, damaged wires, etc.

Don't take these steps as gospel, I'm going off the top of my head. Fortunately, I had a cousin who is an electrician to review my work and give it the thumbs up (and laugh his balls off at my nervousness when pulling the meter.) It's not rocket surgery if you understand the relevant code, especially when it just comes to regular household single-phase.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Musluk posted:

Now make a version with the last few seconds cut off.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i don't like stuff like that. how do you know a fat dude didn't jam the hole up with his bloated corpse?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He’s probably not submerged completely in water and it was like standing underneath one of those mushroom things at the waterpark. Still wouldn’t do it, lol.

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

That dude going through the underwater cave made my palms sweat. So terrifyingly crazy to even think that is something I would even consider doing. gently caress. That. Noise.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

someone had to try that first. oh god

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to guess that if you could see it from his angle, there's a narrow gap leading to a tall chamber that you can stand up (or at least isn't full of water) in which is open to the face of the waterfall. Dude scrambles through the oepning, then takes his time in the bit under the rock - probably to make sure he doesnt gently caress up his ankles more than for dramatic effect - then jumps out of the hole in the cliff.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah it's terrifying because you imagine it being a tube that gets a lot smaller as it goes, and water pressure builds up on top of you after you discover it.... aaaaaaaagh.

I'm horribly claustrophobic. Like my worst nightmare is getting stuck in a cave or hole like that guy posted a while back.

This one:

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 23, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do we have to post that cave diving video again where people have to take all their equipment off and exhale to fit through?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah it's terrifying because you imagine it being a tube that gets a lot smaller as it goes, and water pressure builds up on top of you after you discover it.... aaaaaaaagh.

I'm horribly claustrophobic. Like my worst nightmare is getting stuck in a cave or hole like that guy posted a while back.

This one:

whatever is left of that dudes corpse is sealed up down there forever

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

$500 car
$1000 Home Depot shed
$5400 driveshaft

Where are you spending 5400 dollars for black steel water pipe and two U joints?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

what ive learned over the last couple days from this thread is that if I'm going to ever try to squeeze through a tight space I should enter it with a full chest of air and if I can't make it then just step away

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

This one:

I'm getting claustrophobic just by looking at the cross section diagram.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

what ive learned over the last couple days from this thread is that if I'm going to ever try to squeeze through a tight space I should enter it with a full chest of air and if I can't make it then just step away reconsider.

Fixed for me

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just never go into any space where you don't know if you'll be able to get back out again. I used to craw around under the raised floor to run cables, but that was because I knew that getting me out was as simple as lifting up some carpet and unscrewing the tile above me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

null_pointer posted:

Holy gently caress. I was like, am I watching someone die? :gonk:

I would do every single height-related thing I've ever said 'nope' to twice before I did that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LloydDobler posted:

I didn't like The Descent because it started out as horribly scary movie of a group of people stuck in a claustrophobic cave and then ended up being a much less scary monster movie.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well of course they are used. Like the listing says, "these are the old style and no longer made" so you can't get new ones. Duh.

There seems to be a weird used market for stab loks. Like this listing:

I checked the HomeDepot.ca and you can get a brand new 40+ slot breaker for under 300 canada bucks, so 500 for used doesn't seem like a great deal at all. I guess the used panel also includes some used breakers, but still.

Kinda looks like our house breaker!

:thunk:

is this why the city wants us to replace it and electricians are charging us for $3k ?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Also, make sure that there's oxygen in any confined space you're wriggling in to. No issue there for that cave the swimmer crawled in to, but one time I nearly asphyxiated in the space between the hull and the deck on a boat that was being constructed (we needed to x-ray a hull weld repair and that was the only way I was going to be able to place the film). They opened up the hatch and I just slipped in without thinking, "hey, how long has this been sealed up?" I crawled about 10 feet in before my vision started to get blurry at the edges and I noticed I felt funny. I had to drop all my equipment where it was and pull myself back to the hatch before I blacked out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Also, make sure that there's oxygen in any confined space you're wriggling in to. No issue there for that cave the swimmer crawled in to, but one time I nearly asphyxiated in the space between the hull and the deck on a boat that was being constructed (we needed to x-ray a hull weld repair and that was the only way I was going to be able to place the film). They opened up the hatch and I just slipped in without thinking, "hey, how long has this been sealed up?" I crawled about 10 feet in before my vision started to get blurry at the edges and I noticed I felt funny. I had to drop all my equipment where it was and pull myself back to the hatch before I blacked out.

Is there no oxygen because rust has consumed it?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is there no oxygen because rust has consumed it?

It was new and under construction so it wasn't rust. I'm not sure why it was low in O2 tbh, all I know is they had to lug over a blower to run some air under the deck for a bit before I could go back in.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

You should read Blind Descent by James Tabor. Great book and a lot of "nope nope nope" moments.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/GGopO4d.gifv

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

LloydDobler posted:

This one:

imagine being killed by nutty putty

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

guys, i was just talkin about trying to get through a cat door or something. not go cave diving

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

KoRMaK posted:

guys, i was just talkin about trying to get through a cat door or something. not go cave diving

Well a cat door would be a funny way to asphyxiate yourself, at least.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Caves are cool, I love going to Mammoth Cave, but the tours stick to maintained paths. They have a wild cave tour where you can crawl through some pretty narrow spaces, but even though those routes are mapped out and safe, I don't think I could bring myself to do it. Especially when one of the most famous stories around the cave system is a guy who became nationally famous for getting stuck and a tourist attraction as he slowly withered away.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Collins

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Cursed since they cut the pizza at 90 degrees at the end when everyone knows it's best to do it at 60 degrees so you make 6 perfectly sized slices.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Uthor posted:

I didn't like The Descent because it started out as horribly scary movie of a group of people stuck in a claustrophobic cave and then ended up being a much less scary monster movie.

I still liked it but yeah your assessment is right on.

Also let's lighten it up.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/JIZaEcU.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Demi-trailer? Quadrant-trailer?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

He put a "Peligro" sign on it, what more do you people want?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/CVBHB.gifv