Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A Russian troll farm posted:

A mountie might have killed a guy(:nms:) yesterday in sherwood park, AB

i can't wait for this disgusting person to get a bunch of free money and vacation time for his attempted murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I got a really bad feeling after watching that video. I mean, aside from the obvious. More like dread for what's coming, like for all our pretensions of being better off than the US, we're just a little behind the curve, and in 10 years we'll have unidentified federal agents snatching people off the street too

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

in 10 years we'll have unidentified federal agents snatching people off the street too

we had that 10 years during the toronto G20

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I got a really bad feeling after watching that video. I mean, aside from the obvious. More like dread for what's coming, like for all our pretensions of being better off than the US, we're just a little behind the curve, and in 10 years we'll have unidentified federal agents snatching people off the street too

The RCMP are worse than the FBI

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BattleMaster posted:

we had that 10 years during the toronto G20

they detained people in chain link cages without access to food, water, or medical attention for up to 48 hours, without charges

the only repercussion after years of inquiries was one senior officer getting tossed under the bus, and being sentenced to lose some banked holiday pay.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

infernal machines posted:

they detained people in chain link cages without access to food, water, or medical attention for up to 48 hours, without charges

the only repercussion after years of inquiries was one senior officer getting tossed under the bus, and being sentenced to lose some banked holiday pay.

we were being a little more monarchy in our democratic monarchy that day

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah but Nobody got hurt at Queen's Park

(https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/how-a-man-named-nobody-became-the-battered-face-of-g20-protests/article1320838/)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wrong; the main repercussion is that the guy in charge of all of that is now the federal Minister of Public Safety.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eXXon posted:

Wrong; the main repercussion is that the guy in charge of all of that is now the federal Minister of Public Safety.

oh, no, you're mistaken, bill blair wasn't in charge. i can't imagine why you'd think he was. no, it was all mark fenton.

nobody got a broken arm and was denied medical attention

nope

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the worst part of that video isn't the violence but the cop just sitting there with the guy's head bleeding, not doing a drat thing

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
what did I tell you?

Doesn't even look at the guy...

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Dreylad posted:

the worst part of that video isn't the violence but the cop just sitting there with the guy's head bleeding, not doing a drat thing

this seems to be a common theme and i dunno where it comes from. is it a "not my job" thing? avoiding disturbing a crime scene? trained to assume someone's faking it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it comes from complete dehumanization of the victim in the eyes of the police officer

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

pokeyman posted:

this seems to be a common theme and i dunno where it comes from. is it a "not my job" thing? avoiding disturbing a crime scene? trained to assume someone's faking it?

why would you go to all that work to kill someone and then try to keep them alive?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

pokeyman posted:

I have no loving idea, if I hurt someone and first aid training (which all cops should have, right?) I would try to help them. Unless there's something about head wounds where you aren't supposed to stop the bleeding that I'm not aware of

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Babak Andalib-Goortani posted:

I didn't crack that guy's skull open by accident

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

pokeyman posted:

a general disdain for the public and an inability to take any responsibility for their own actions, I think

also this

it comes from complete dehumanization of the victim in the eyes of the police officer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

In 2013, Andalib-Goortani was convicted of assault with a weapon for his role in Nobody's beating. The trial judge, Ontario Court Justice Louise Botham, commented that "a police officer is not entitled to use unlimited force to affect an arrest." Botham, who was brought in to Toronto from Brampton to hear the case, subsequently sentenced Andalib-Goortani to 45 days in jail. In her ruling, Botham indicated that the sentence was heavy influenced by video of Andalib-Goortani, along with a number of other officers whose disciplinary charges were dismissed, punching, kneeing, kicking, and striking the victim with a baton; stating that the period of incarceration was necessary to uphold the public's faith in the justice system.

Less than 10 minutes after Botham announced the sentence in her Brampton courtroom, a Toronto court granted bail to Andalib-Goortani pending appeal. While Andalib-Goortani awaited appeal of that assault conviction, another assault with a weapon charge, for a G20 attack on journalist/blogger Wyndham Bettencourt-McCarthy, was thrown out when the photograph taken a she was about to be hit with the baton, showing a riot-geared officer which another officer was ready to testify was Andalib-Goortani, was ruled inadmissible because the photo had been obtained through an anonymous website posting and the photographer could not be called to testify.

Some 16 months after being sentenced to jail time and released on bail, Toronto Superior Court Justice Brian O'Marra overturned the sentence and, without providing reasons for his decision, instead ordered that Andalib-Goortani do 75 hours of community service with one year's probation. In November 2015, retired Toronto judge Lee Ferrier, presiding over the Toronto Police Service's disciplinary hearing of Andalib-Goortani, docked Andalib-Goortani five days pay for the incident, thus returning the officer to patrol the streets of Toronto.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
its also cool that we have that law that allows the government to hold someone deemed a "terrorist" indefinitely with no actual definition of what a terrorist is

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DariusLikewise posted:

its also cool that we have that law that allows the government to hold someone deemed a "terrorist" indefinitely with no actual definition of what a terrorist is

a terrorist is anyone that is being held indefinitely

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
it's anyone not considered white.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

what the gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

for all the pissing and moaning about suspension with pay while being investigated, i think being docked vacation pay in lieu of jail time is probably more egregious. same thing happened to mark "sacrificial lamb" fenton over his charges for the g20 abuses, and even then he appealed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the period of incarceration was necessary to uphold the public's faith in the justice system.

how ironic

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

how ironic

indeed.

i sorta glossed over the part where several other officers were caught on the same video assaulting people, but had the charges against them dropped for reasons. also not mentioned, initially none of the officers were identifiable from the video because they had all removed or obscured their name tags. Andalib-Goortani only got charged because he was beating so many people all day that he was caught on another video before he had obscured his name tag, and that was used to identify him in the video that precipitated the charges. dozens of other officers with fully visible faces, photographed and recorded assaulting people, were deemed "unidentifiable" by the courts and were never charged for their crimes.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Is it true that fhe gov is seriously considering asking people to pay back their cerb

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

albany academy posted:

Is it true that fhe gov is seriously considering asking people to pay back their cerb
Only if you weren't 'entitled' to it in the first place.

So many of my patients took CERB even though they were unemployed (and I can't blame them, they're homeless!). It's gonna come back to turbofuck them in the future when they're asked to pay it back, and of course have no money.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Why the gently caress wasn't it just a general unemployment benefit to fix the patchwork garbage we have

Oh right whining businesses complaining about not being able to pay their workers minimum wage

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The uncertainty around who is and isn’t entitled to CERB causes a ton of confusion.

I was laid off and qualified for about a month. Got partially recalled to work and those couple days a week should put me over the $1k/month threshold. I’ve reported my income accurately every two weeks, yet the deposits keep coming.

I have no idea if I’m broke because all that money needs to be saved to pay back come tax time in April, or if I’m ok. If I spend it on rent/groceries/etc there’s no way in hell I’ll earn enough between now and tax time 2021 to be able to pay back several thousand dollars.

The opposition parties would be wise to force an election in late April/early May of 2021. Tax time will be an enormous clusterfuck. I doubt the Libs are smart enough to just write it all off and not claw back CERB from desperate people in a pandemic.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I've been working from home doing call centre work, pretty glad tax nonsense isn't a worry, but man has it trained me to hate people.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BGrifter posted:

The uncertainty around who is and isn’t entitled to CERB causes a ton of confusion.

I was laid off and qualified for about a month. Got partially recalled to work and those couple days a week should put me over the $1k/month threshold. I’ve reported my income accurately every two weeks, yet the deposits keep coming.

I have no idea if I’m broke because all that money needs to be saved to pay back come tax time in April, or if I’m ok. If I spend it on rent/groceries/etc there’s no way in hell I’ll earn enough between now and tax time 2021 to be able to pay back several thousand dollars.

The opposition parties would be wise to force an election in late April/early May of 2021. Tax time will be an enormous clusterfuck. I doubt the Libs are smart enough to just write it all off and not claw back CERB from desperate people in a pandemic.

the NDP should do this and run on a campaign of "we won't make you pay back CERB"

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

the NDP should do this and run on a campaign of "we won't make you pay back CERB"

8.34 million unique applicants, 37.59 million Canadians. Ignoring voting age because this whole post is a low effort joke, that's 22.2%.

Of them, a certain chunk would never ever vote NDP no matter what, and hey, look at that, now we're in the mid-high teens (as usual).

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

When you realize that the CERB is just an economy stimulus sent directly to the populace instead of to whoever the government choses - it's quite possibly the best and most fair economic stimulus I've seen in my lifetime in Canada.

The cons love to say people are squirreling it away and it's being abused - but surely it's mostly going into either debt repayment or into the economy; if it was squirreled away; it's sitting in a 2% HISA at best doing nothing, no big deal.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/Tim_Bousquet/status/1286334920739217413?s=19

https://twitter.com/Tim_Bousquet/status/1286334997981536256?s=19

What a crock of poo poo

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the tried and true tradition of getting some rich old white people together in secret to make things worse

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BGrifter posted:

I doubt the Libs are smart enough to just write it all off and not claw back CERB from desperate people in a pandemic.

it's really going to depend how many people took it. i have to imagine basically every homeless person with access to wifi applied, i mean why wouldn't they. those people will never be able to pay any money back. what then? is the government going to imprison every homeless person in Canada? seems like it would be cheaper to just build them an apartment in the first place

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rutibex posted:

it's really going to depend how many people took it. i have to imagine basically every homeless person with access to wifi applied, i mean why wouldn't they. those people will never be able to pay any money back. what then? is the government going to imprison every homeless person in Canada? seems like it would be cheaper to just build them an apartment in the first place

I remember a couple homeless agencies going on record and saying "yep, we helped our clients apply because they need the loving money and gently caress the rest of the poo poo."

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

let's check in on Lindsay Shepherd

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wow, she's a "fellow" at true north?

really moving up in the world lindsay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
kooky person says her kooky positions don't make her kooky