Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Its important to know what the landlord was eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Just had the same door to door "garden clearance" people knock despite being told politely (me) and less politely(my family) to piss off even before the global pandemic. I'd get a "no cold callers" sign but I doubt it works.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

floofyscorp posted:

Yeah, pets aren't allowed in my building without explicit permission from the landowner. When we 'bought' our flat(it's a leasehold ofc) I insisted on getting said permission in writing from them before I'd sign anything so they couldn't change their mind at the last minute. Trying to find a place to rent with cats was miserable, nine out of ten places I enquired about just gave me a flat 'absolutely no pets allowed, no, never' and several that did allow them wanted to add on a frankly ridiculous charge to the rent.

One thing Ontario gets right is that it's in provincial law that if you're renting out a home you can't have a "no pets" clause. Should really just be a thing everywhere.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fatty posted:

Yeah, you got free cats without having to worry about vet bills, despite the fact you may have been doing them active harm with what you were feeding them.

Personally, I'd be furious if someone fed my cat without talking to me first.

If a cat is allowed outside and has any kind of health/dietary issues, it should really have some kind of tag on its collar that says not to feed it.

Random folk in the street feed cats (there's a lady who lives near me and takes cat treats out whenever she goes for a walk, in case she sees a cat) let alone people in any houses the cat might go into. I know a fair few people where a clearly owned cat has started treating their cat like a second home, and they've ended up giving it food - sometimes with no idea where the cat's real home is.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't own any pets, our companions are the foxes screaming at each other at night.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Which is like if you had a landlord except your landlord was an amalgamation of the biggest assholes on the street, and also was invented because of racism.
Exactly like having a landlord then :v:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But my lease forbids it
I'm a leaseholder, every lease in the building forbids pets but about half the building has dogs anyway. The freeholder is just some nameless company that does literally nothing except cash cheques & occasionally-but-usually-not answer emails from my lawyers about 6 months after the event, so they have no interest whatsoever in enforcing terms. Possibly also helps that there's very few owner-occupiers in the building (all but me being pet owners) who might kick up a fuss.

Not useful to you specifically given the very different circumstances, but imo leaseholders in general should p much just ignore the lease entirely, everyone else does, & it's such a pain in the arse to enforce anything except money terms that it's not really worth much of a drat. Mine even says that at least half of the occupiers must be over 50, but that doesn't stop BTL landlords buying up all the flats and putting whomever in.

(this is not legal advice, it's still technically possible for someone to bring an action for specific performance requiring doggo to move out, just that's not actually at all likely to happen in most "typical" blocks of flats)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cool just found out i'm now going to be unemployed as of august

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jose posted:

That sucks, man.

Hope you can keep your poo poo together in this fucker of a time.

In other news, it seems that Corbyn legal fundraiser is legit. Going to dump the money I've saved since stopping my Labour direct debit his way, at least.

https://twitter.com/JamesEFoster/status/1286276858279993345

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

Fatty posted:

Yeah, you got free cats without having to worry about vet bills, despite the fact you may have been doing them active harm with what you were feeding them.

Personally, I'd be furious if someone fed my cat without talking to me first.

Agreed, imagine if they'd killed something and eaten it because they're outdoor cats. Makes me furious.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Just had the same door to door "garden clearance" people knock despite being told politely (me) and less politely(my family) to piss off even before the global pandemic. I'd get a "no cold callers" sign but I doubt it works.

I probably gonna sound like a nob but when we were students living in Coventry we'd get charity workers going door to door every day and it properly pissed me off. Not as bad as the wankers on the street who try to block you from walking past and are creepy as gently caress but still.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Something like only 150000 people have been laid off, but over 9 million are furloughed?!? If being furloughed is just to stave off unemployment things are going to get horrible

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

Something like only 150000 people have been laid off, but over 9 million are furloughed?!? If being furloughed is just to stave off unemployment things are going to get horrible

Absolutely, the back half of this year is going to be brutal.

The National Trust currently has 65-70% of its staff on furlough, and is looking to cut wage spend by around 20% which is something like 3000 people to be announced next week.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jel Shaker posted:

One thing that is annoying me is the people on my FB saying "if they can go to the beach why can't they go to work instead of furlough". I'm sure there are a lot of people not involved in furlough who think it's a choice people make. Possibly it is in a minority of cases, but for most people it wasn't a choice.

I saw something earlier, probably on twitter which I can't access now haha saying the govt has been talking with the military about contingency plans for the end of the year when they are expecting major civilian unrest as the fallout from covid 19 first wave, incoming 2nd and 3rd waves and brexit all collide. (Let alone over the winter in my neck of the woods in the last 5 years we've had severe flooding 2 years and very heavy snowfall 1 year .

I've told my mum she has to get 3 months worth of supplies in - food, oil, wood - (she's right out in the styx, if the weather's bad people won't be able to get to her, her heating is oil-fired / wood fired and the nearest shop to her is 4 miles away). We also bought her a phone that plugs into the phone hole instead of the walking about phones which cut off in a powercut (I don't mean mobiles - there is zero signal for about 2-3 miles around her house on any network.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 23, 2020

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jel Shaker posted:

My company was estimated to make ~£6m profit this year. We're now looking at a a loss of around £400,000 and that's on the assumption that everyone currently furloughed (including me) is immediately made redundant unless there is confirmed business that specifically pays their salary from the day the furlough scheme ends. That's about 40 people, just under 40% of the workforce, and has been described in this week's board meeting as "a best case scenario".

Feral Jesus
Oct 9, 2003

Jose posted:

Going to be a lot of this with companies having to cover the NI payments from August.

I've been expecting to hear the same as I think they'll be keen to reduce costs as much as possible and are really unlikely to ever bring me back anyway. They forced everyone to use their available holiday during July (where they pay the extra 20% for those dates) to make it extra lovely for people too.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Feral Jesus posted:

I've been expecting to hear the same as I think they'll be keen to reduce costs as much as possible and are really unlikely to ever bring me back anyway. They forced everyone to use their available holiday during July (where they pay the extra 20% for those dates) to make it extra lovely for people too.

Not a lawyer but I thought that wasn't legal?

Not that that ever stopped a poo poo company.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

sebzilla posted:

In other news, it seems that Corbyn legal fundraiser is legit. Going to dump the money I've saved since stopping my Labour direct debit his way, at least.

£100 from an American here. He doesn't deserve this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Ned_Donovan/status/1286246281430667264?s=20

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Private Speech posted:

Not a lawyer but I thought that wasn't legal?

Not that that ever stopped a poo poo company.

They're not allowed to reduce your holiday allowance because you're on furlough (because you're still an employee and so still accrue holiday).

They can, with reasonable notice, require you to take holiday - including when you're on furlough - but you have to receive your full rate of pay for any holiday you take.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If you're sacked or made redundant you should report your employer to the HMRC about furlough payments, I'm sure there's a few stray e-mails here and there that'd make it awkward for some.

Cat chat: I've had a cat and rented for the last 10 years in about 12 or so different houses, mostly terraces, a first floor flat and a semi-detached. Most of the time I just didn't tell the landlord I had a cat and only got caught once where the landlord told me to get rid of it (I didn't)

This way involved a lot of fretting if the landlord was going to come round and hiding litter trays and worrying the cat would be sat on the windowsill meowing whilst a landlord made an inspection, but overall I was lucky. More recently I've moved away from the city and landlords have been more relaxed, I've offered to pay for carpets being cleaned and most were unfurnished anyway. I find it kind of dumb you aren't allowed a cat but are allowed babies that make more of a muck everywhere? But then, I wouldn't be surprised if landlords found a way to ban that too (leave a window open for 8 hours in winter to prevent mold, also hide your baby under the floorboards like that bit in schindler's list in case an estate agent comes round)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fergus Wilson already tried that as part of his publicity campaign to become Britain's worst landlord.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kreeblah posted:

£100 from an American here. He doesn't deserve this.

I'll stick some money in if the legal action actually happens. It's all just John Ware huffing and grumbling so far, not a formal case being bought.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

sebzilla posted:

Absolutely, the back half of this year is going to be brutal.

The National Trust currently has 65-70% of its staff on furlough, and is looking to cut wage spend by around 20% which is something like 3000 people to be announced next week.

The same National Trust that has over a billion in various investment schemes for a 'rainy day'?

So glad I don't have to deal with that poo poo anymore.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

That sucks, man.

Hope you can keep your poo poo together in this fucker of a time.

Corbyn's wife is saying nice things about it too, so I guess they really are considering putting it to use.

https://twitter.com/lauraalvarezjc/status/1286314286399328256?s=21

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its almost double that already. Although it is only 2.8k people not millions and is she calling him her leader? Bit odd.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is how the extraparliamentary stuff starts happening.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jose posted:

ah nuts. the goon hardship fund should be good for a couple of thousand. what job were you doing?

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
I work for a regional law firm and we've all had to accept a 10% pay cut with a further 15% of staff (about 40 people) laid off. I was furloughed but have recently been told I'm not a risk of redundancy and brought back from furlough.

My firm have actually been pretty decent to those being made redundant, they've been kept on for the duration of the furlough period and then are getting there statutory plus notice period plus 2 months pay on top once furlough ends. Almost all the redundancies were voluntary.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

The same National Trust that has over a billion in various investment schemes for a 'rainy day'?

So glad I don't have to deal with that poo poo anymore.

That's them/us. As I understand it most of the money you're referring to is tied up in legacies for various specific things (Old Mrs Jones dies and leaves £x000 to her favourite property for conservation of tapestries, etc.) and can't legally be used for other stuff like paying staff, unfortunately.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

Corbyn's wife is saying nice things about it too, so I guess they really are considering putting it to use.

https://twitter.com/lauraalvarezjc/status/1286314286399328256?s=21

It's almost doubled since Foster posted it, so yeah.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

sebzilla posted:

That's them/us. As I understand it most of the money you're referring to is tied up in legacies for various specific things (Old Mrs Jones dies and leaves £x000 to her favourite property for conservation of tapestries, etc.) and can't legally be used for other stuff like paying staff, unfortunately.

If the national trust goes under what happens to all those aristocrats who “gave up” their properties to be tourismed by the filthy public every day, on the condition they get to live in the mansion for free?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarkSeddon1962/status/1286205705532444674?s=20

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

if Corbyn ran as an independent he'd get my vote ;)

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its almost double that already. Although it is only 2.8k people not millions and is she calling him her leader? Bit odd.

I think you're overthinking it. Millions of people supported Labour under Corbyn and he's still a leader in the generic 'prominent public figure' sense if not the literal leader of Labour anymore.

justcola posted:

if Corbyn ran as an independent he'd get my vote ;)

Unless I missed it I've seen nothing apart from that once tweet about 'sources' so it's probably just a stunt to foment angry twitter mobs and provide them with handy screenshots of the ANGRY ABUSIVE HARD LEFT MOB.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The jewish chronicle ran an article where some lawyer confirmed he had been asked to pursue a case against corbyn.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

john ware has sued for libel after 3 of his other documentaries and lost every time lol

edit

https://twitter.com/jeremywh0rebyn/status/1286356405109362688?s=20

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

OwlFancier posted:

The jewish chronicle ran an article where some lawyer confirmed he had been asked to pursue a case against corbyn.

I meant about Labour withdrawing the whip from Corbyn, which is the only scenario he'd end up running as an independent.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm so sorry for everyone losing their jobs because of this. In places with local lockdowns (like Leicester) it'll be even worse because the government apparently isn't extending any help, meaning businesses will have to close and pay full staff wages.

Lady Gaza posted:

I listened to a bit of radio 4 earlier where they interviewed a ‘typical family’ about their opinions of the government and Johnson. Some of them were first time Tory voters in 2019. They all said that Johnson and the government are doing a good job, the pandemic would tough for anyone to manage, Johnson getting COVID-19 was an ‘equaliser’, etc. Even the Labour voter praised Sunak. There was no mention of the shocking death toll, the signs pointing towards an NHS sell off, the lack of progress in EU trade talks.

Made me a bit depressed but also made me wonder if I’m just out of touch with the average voter - they don’t care about a lot of the stuff I do and are so different in terms of opinions. It’s also hard not to retreat to a form of spite - if people are happy with this shitshow of a country, maybe they deserve it?

On the other hand, one of my Boris-voting elderly relatives is absolutely furious with him and is fully aware that the government wants the 70+ population to die off (wasn't there something in the news last year about the majority of the Tory's funding coming from bequests, lol).

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I saw something earlier, probably on twitter which I can't access now haha saying the govt has been talking with the military about contingency plans for the end of the year when they are expecting major civilian unrest as the fallout from covid 19 first wave, incoming 2nd and 3rd waves and brexit all collide. (Let alone over the winter in my neck of the woods in the last 5 years we've had severe flooding 2 years and very heavy snowfall 1 year .

I've told my mum she has to get 3 months worth of supplies in - food, oil, wood - (she's right out in the styx, if the weather's bad people won't be able to get to her, her heating is oil-fired / wood fired and the nearest shop to her is 4 miles away). We also bought her a phone that plugs into the phone hole instead of the walking about phones which cut off in a powercut (I don't mean mobiles - there is zero signal for about 2-3 miles around her house on any network.)

Every country is three square meals away from revolution.

I'm seeing a lot of people talking about 3 months worth of supplies. Possibly Covid has been a lesson in just how long it can take for supply chains to reconfigure themselves. But I just don't think there will be an uprising against the government: any second-wave will either be hidden because the government will stop releasing Covid figures and blame 'winter pressures' if the NHS struggles, or it will rise slowly so that people gradually accept that a few hundred people die each day from it, and that's what life is now. Unemployment will be the fault of the global pandemic or the nasty EU, not the Tory's mismanagement of both. If we have a bad winter then I guarantee the government will blame disruption to supply chains or utilities on the weather instead of Brexit (not that I'm suggesting utilities might go off due to Brexit, and it's not like anyone can really mitigate for that). Everythign will be somebody else's fault, and as Lady Gaza pointed out, there will plenty of people ready to downplay it as an unfortunate series of events.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I meant about Labour withdrawing the whip from Corbyn, which is the only scenario he'd end up running as an independent.

does anyone actually expect that to happen? any suggestion of it is just loons poo poo stirring on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jose posted:

john ware has sued for libel after 3 of his other documentaries and lost every time lol

Really? He caught himself in a pretty daft lie then cos hes said:

John ware posted:

There’s an unwritten code that says we journalists should never sue because however offensive or defamatory criticism of our journalism may be, we hold free speech sacrosanct.

It was a rule with which for decades I agreed. I no longer do.

That is why my proceedings against Labour are only the first of several I have begun against alternative media outlets and individuals.