Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

charliebravo77 posted:

My wife brought home some farm fresh rainbow carrots from work today so I decided to try something a little different.

Sous Vide Salmon with Carrot Top Chimichurri and Pink Peppercorn Glazed Carrot Ribbons

Salmon w/Carrots & Chimichurri by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Well this is art.

Crossposting from the smoking thread:

Decided to inaugurate my smoker today, so popped down to the garden centre, picked up some coal and olive wood, and got to business.

Ended up deciding on running a couple of whole chickens, simply because I've never used one of these things before, and they seem a little friendlier to higher temperature (with some extra stuff thrown in just to gauge cooking times, effect, etc - nothing fancy, just pork steaks, burgers, halloumi, etc). Simply salted, I wanted to see what olive smoke was like on it's own (and this was definitely a decision I do not regret - it's a very sweet, almost herbal flavour that it imparts to the meat, with some light medicinal notes that are really nice... having easy access to olive wood in the UK is probably gonna pay off pretty well.) About 2 and half hours at 300-ish; temperature isn't the most inaccurate, as, being second hand, the temperature gauge is really sticky and needs tapping to swing. (It's early on the list of things to replace.)

Really fun tending the fire, watching how it's burning, making sure to adjust airflow if you start seeing white smoke and to control temperature, etc - it's certainly really hands on, and really enjoyable. This thing is gonna see a LOT of use. Might get some extra tools, a decent charcoal starter, etc, too.

Wife's told me that A: I'm obsessed with the thing, and after tasting the food, B: I need to be running this more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Those are some drat fine birds

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

My friend made a joke about dumping a can of chili on a pizza I made so I wanted to show him up

Surprisingly delicious to be honest, just needed a squeeze of lime juice.

The frito pie i didnt know i wanted until now

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Not the best picture, but the last one taken before we ate. Char siu chicken, cumin potatoes, and veggie gan bian.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Olpainless posted:

Crossposting from the smoking thread:

Meat smoking thread had a good day yesterday :hfive:

Here’s my pulled pork...

Get ready for a week of vegan/vegetarian posts from me after I eat all this loving meat.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Posting noodles. Wish the broth was whiter but otherwise a good pressure cooker tonkotsu attempt.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Tonight: chicken adobo, sesame cucumber salad, and cilantro lime rice.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Veggie curry

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kumba posted:

Veggie curry

that looks great! got a recipe?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
you got it! it's not so much a recipe as it is just a vague list of steps i follow when making curry with anything, also i've never made my own curry paste cause patak's is delicious and i'm lazy

gather ingredients:
your favorite neutral oil
1 russet potato, cubed
1 large zucchini, cut in half length-wise then sliced
1 lb your favorite mushrooms, sliced
3 carrots, sliced
1 large onion, diced-ish
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp ginger, minced
1 can full-fat not-bargain-brand coconut milk, do not shake the can
1 can diced tomatoes, not drained
your favorite curry paste - this one we used 1/2 jar patak's spicy tikka masala
salt, pepper, chili powder if you feel like bringing the heat
cilantro for garnish

preheat oven to 400F. lay potatoes & carrots on baking sheet, salt + pepper + oil. bake for ~25 minutes

while that cooks, in a dutch oven:
heat some oil on medium. cook the mushrooms for 10 minutes or so, stirring frequently so those fuckers don't burn. don't salt them towards the beginning, salt & pepper near the end. remove from pan.
heat more oil and fry the onion. after 5-7 minutes, add garlic, ginger, salt, pepper; cook for a minute or two until fragrant but not burned. remove from pan
add some more oil, fry the zucchini until softened (another 5-7ish minutes). remove from pan. lower heat to medium-low.
gently open the can of coconut milk, being careful to not shake it or violently disturb it. scoop out the top 1/2 can or so of mostly solid coconut cream from the top. if your can doesn't have this layer of cream, you bought the 99¢ or low-fat variety. weep in shame. add to the dutch oven, scraping up the fond as you can, and let that simmer while stirring constantly. cook this until it's roughly the texture of yogurt, it'll probably take 5-10 minutes depending on how hot the pan is
add your curry paste, let that fry for a few minutes. this is where i add chili powder if i want something spicier
then, add the rest of the can of coconut milk + the can of diced tomatoes. bring to a boil, raise the heat back up to medium or you'll get impatient because it smells so good you just want to eat it right then and there
add the rest of your ingredients back into the pot, plus the potatoes & carrots that should be finished roasting by now. reduce heat once simmering, let it all meld for a few minutes.
top w/ cilantro, serve w/ yogurt & naan

kumba fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 20, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Got one last meal out of that pork shoulder. Now it is only a memory :allears:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Got one last meal out of that pork shoulder. Now it is only a memory :allears:

oh my

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ZombieCrew posted:

The frito pie i didnt know i wanted until now

ditto

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

beef short ribs in a cajun wine and tomato sauce + polenta with a buttload of smoked gouda

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I eat this everyday. Just spiced pan fried rice and vegetables. I should start using lentils again. I use coconut oil, coconut milk, sour cream, yellow mustard, garam masala, ginger powder, spicy indian pickle, msg, garlic powder, tumeric, cayenne. So it's real flavorful.

UPDATE: my stomach hurts

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 22, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

After all the smoked pork, time to rapidly switch gears.

Tofu “Egg Salad”.

I just replace the eggs with tofu, and the mayo with avocado. Every other ingredient to an egg salad I leave the same except I add a little bit of olive oil. Really quick weeknight meal when I don’t feel like turning on the stove or firing up the grill.

Goes good with a little hot sauce.

Well enough stalling, here’s my vegan dinner.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Marinated some chicken strips in wing sauce and fried them

They were delicious, served with some roasted asparagus

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Meal prepped some mapo tofu dinners to keep me regular in the mornings. And for lunch, a buffalo chicken sandwich and a kale with roasted grapes salad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why isn't it red.

This is not a question it's an accusation.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
did you drain the liquid from your mapo tofu? :stare:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'm not too sure, honestly. I think it's because I didn't have any of the doubanjiang I normally use, so I figured Guilin chili sauce was close enough. I was hoping adding a some extra chili oil would make it more red. It still tasted pretty great though.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

made some basil pecorino gnudi and put them in a tomato sausage broth

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Had a frozen tuna steak to use up so I made a salade niçoise:

Tuna cooked sous vide from frozen at 105 for about an hour and a half and then quickly seared, turned out better than I thought it would.
Boiled potatoes, blanched beans, boiled egg, cukes, corn on the cob boiled then finished on the grill, all served cold with parsley, dill, capers, spring onions, and the sauce is just olive oil + lemon juice + dijon with a small dollop of honey whisked in.

I completely forgot to put on some of the pickled red onion I made earlier.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Salmon, rice, and veg here.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

After all the smoked pork, time to rapidly switch gears.

Tofu “Egg Salad”.

I just replace the eggs with tofu, and the mayo with avocado. Every other ingredient to an egg salad I leave the same except I add a little bit of olive oil. Really quick weeknight meal when I don’t feel like turning on the stove or firing up the grill.

Goes good with a little hot sauce.

Well enough stalling, here’s my vegan dinner.

tofu egg salad sounded ridiculous to me at first glance, but hot drat if i wouldn't scarf that down and likely love it. Job well done

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
End of week, running out of stuff. Using up some stuff, ended making a “shawarma burger” on garlic naan. Labne for the sauce, am totally out of veg so no cucumber etc.
it’s still turned out WAY better than it should have.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sada aloo chorchori, aka Bengali potato flavored with nigella seeds, the newest addition to the potato thread. Very tasty, very simple.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Near the beginning of quarantine I made a tofu po'boy on a whim because I felt nostalgic for the po'boys my mom used to make, and I've been tinkering with them off and on since then. Here's my favorite one yet-- tossed with spices, cornstarch, and some thick-ish hot sauce, dredged in half panko and half cornmeal, served with Hungarian wax peppers and the sad last dregs of the lettuce and cherry tomatoes we had. I also threw together a really quick vegan remoulade and after I took this picture I covered everything up by dumping on pickles and Shaquanda's Hot Pepper Sauce. I was really happy because I'd been doing these on crummy old hot dog buns but we happened to get some beautiful rolls from the CSA this week that made the whole thing come together so much better.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Braised chicken and leeks, salt potatoes, watermelon salad.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
shrimp, cherry tomatoes, garlic, cilantro over rice

tonight was miso chile eggplant with soy ginger lime shishitos

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lunch in the style of okonomiyaki:

Burgs with cheesy curly fries for dinner.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
That all looks super photogenic
Here is the slop I eat everyday. Now with lentils

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Shrimp and broccoli in a vaguely Sichuan pepper style.

Veggie lo mein.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Had some in-laws come to the house over the weekend. I planned on just grilling, but my wife talked me into making an eggplant parm on a brutally hot day. She’s always raving to her family how good my eggplant is, so I really brought this on myself. Eggplant parm is pretty much my signature dish in the family. Came out delicious.

No photos of beautiful cross section pieces, but there will be more eggplant parms.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:worship:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Trying to make split pea soup but it is taking forever. The water took at least 4 hours to come to a boil and the peas are still hard. Of course I used lots of tumeric and stained my roommate's ladle green

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sounds like you need to get rid of that crockpot.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

excellent bird guy posted:

Trying to make split pea soup but it is taking forever. The water took at least 4 hours to come to a boil and the peas are still hard. Of course I used lots of tumeric and stained my roommate's ladle green

Boil water then add to crockpot.

Alternately: remove crockpot, add Electric Pressure Cooker and never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Gotta say, since I bought my pressure cooker the only thing I use my crockpot for is keeping things warm at parties.

It’s weird how they do opposite things but can produce similar results.

:black101:FAST AND HOT 4 LYFE:black101: