Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
dad PRIDE, so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I better hope I never get a horrible jaw disease, because my teeth getting real wobbly and falling out happens often enough in my dreams that now when it happens I think 'oh ok this is a dream no need to panic just wait to wake up' except sometimes I only dream that I wake up and have to go through that a few times.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that also happens with severe radiation poisoning but the good news is that you don't have to do anything about that because by the time it happens you're already hosed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hello, Pride. I'm dad.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Carbon dioxide posted:

You know lucid dreaming? That thing where you're dreaming but you're aware of it so you can control your dream?

No, not like inception, that movie isn't factually accurate.

Recognizing you're dreaming can be trained but usually it's a crapload of work for very little reward. The common way is to train your brain to recognize things that are 'off' in dreams which can make you lucid halfway through.
There's a much more difficult, advanced technique where you can lucid dream by somehow staying aware all the way from wakefulness directly into the dream state, so you can be lucid from the start. It's called WILD (wake-induced lucid dreaming), in contrast to techniques such as MILD (mnemonic-induced lucid dreaming).

From your description, I'm pretty sure you're about 90% there to mastering that advanced technique.

I've never managed to go into a dream lucid, but I've gotten real good at telling when I'm dreaming. My tell is when the sky is all hosed up, like the moon is crazy huge or theres multiple planets visible or its spinning like crazy. I've never been able to control my dream though :( I learned my tells because I used to have super vivid nightmares all the time about my limbs getting ripped off and poo poo, so I also found out I can force my eyelids to open while I'm asleep. You envision a second set of eyelids in front of your own and focus on opening those eyelids with your own as hard as you can. It's not pleasant but it's better than the poo poo I used to dream about

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That is an impressive skill

I have the opposite problem in that my dreams are super dull and have this sort of vaseline haze layered on top if they go anywhere surreal

I really have to go to town on the the aged cheese to get anything vivid. Otherwise I dream of work and sitting around the house.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Jul 23, 2020

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

If you want to have vivid dreams, smoke weed for a while then stop smoking it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/mikescollins/status/1286357284877148161

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Man door hand hook car door?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Hello, Pride. I'm dad.

Hello dad, this is dog.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

man at this point I only smoke on weekends and boy howdy monday night's fun.

oddly restful though

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

how is this loss?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

A Moose posted:

how is this loss?
Are you familiar with the Montreal cognitive assessment.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Man Receptionist Doctor Wife Desert

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Man, Doctor, Circus, Clown, Tears

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

hawowanlawow posted:

This + take some melatonin because you were using weed to sleep.

Good sleep but holy poo poo the dreams

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Trazodone is great at vivid dreams

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Once a week or so I wake up in my dream a few minutes before I wake up in real life, and I scramble to do something cool before the dream fades. I've never managed to fly, but I think that's because I don't know what any part of flying feels like so I don't have any experience to anchor me.

Had a lot of sex with celebrities, though

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
Take Effexor every night for two years straight, and then out of nowhere get severe diarrhea at like 3AM.

Trust me, it's the only way to fly.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell yeah it is

I wish it was half as good at treating depression, tho

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I have the opposite problem in that my dreams are super dull and have this sort of vaseline haze layered on top if they go anywhere surreal

Yeah same, that's why I don't bother anymore with trying lucid dreaming. No matter what I do I can't make them interesting.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

rear end door dream man meme?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

When I’m lucid in my dreams I’m pretty much all-powerful, which is most dreams I have. But then I don’t want the responsibility of total power so I usually do nothing because dreams don’t matter anyway so I just try to be as sedate as possible so I don’t gently caress up my sleep and and stay super tired all day.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Stex T posted:

Take Effexor every night for two years straight, and then out of nowhere get severe diarrhea at like 3AM.

Trust me, it's the only way to fly.

How many fresh cherries will give an adult human the runs?
I collected incomplete data, but the answer is somewhere between 1 and the ~20 I ate yesterday

(no regrets, they were awesome. and it was like a toothbrush for my colon)

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
The last dream I had where I realized I was dreaming was because I had a better relationship withe my friends and family and that people liked being around me.

I only woke up from the dream when I thought to myself "Oh, maybe things aren't as bad as I thought after all" and then immediately woke up exhausted and with a headache.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

but cherries

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Trazadone had absolutely no effect on me, I might as well have been taking sugar pills.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

One thing I've noticed in adult life is that nightmares no longer provoke panic or fear, but instead kind of an exhausted annoyance. Like when my teeth start falling out or my apartment turns out to be entirely filled with spiders, my emotional response is "ugh, for gently caress's sake. This is going to cost a lot to fix."

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

RaspberryCommie posted:

The last dream I had where I realized I was dreaming was because I had a better relationship withe my friends and family and that people liked being around me.

I only woke up from the dream when I thought to myself "Oh, maybe things aren't as bad as I thought after all" and then immediately woke up exhausted and with a headache.

Extremely :same:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

freeedr posted:

When I’m lucid in my dreams I’m pretty much all-powerful, which is most dreams I have. But then I don’t want the responsibility of total power so I usually do nothing because dreams don’t matter anyway so I just try to be as sedate as possible so I don’t gently caress up my sleep and and stay super tired all day.

That's dumb

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Moon Slayer posted:

Trazadone had absolutely no effect on me, I might as well have been taking sugar pills.

I did that but then I discovered that there is definitely a dose at which you will feel it, do not find that level

ahem

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Triarii posted:

One thing I've noticed in adult life is that nightmares no longer provoke panic or fear, but instead kind of an exhausted annoyance. Like when my teeth start falling out or my apartment turns out to be entirely filled with spiders, my emotional response is "ugh, for gently caress's sake. This is going to cost a lot to fix."

I had a dream last night where I was waiting at an airport for my flight, watching the planes take off, and a Qantas plane had a wing fall off as it just got airborne. My first thought was "poo poo I better go get a hotel room before they all go because there's not going to be any planes taking off for a while".

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Is this this years homestuck?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Triarii posted:

Millennials.txt

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RaspberryCommie posted:

I've fallen in love in dreams maybe twice. Waking up and reaching for a loved one who doesn't exist will really put a damper on your mood for a day or two. I'd advise against it, or at least warn yourself when you start to wake up.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Just Offscreen posted:

Is this this years homestuck?
The plot's way too simple to be a homestuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Triarii posted:

The worst dreams I've had recently are the ones where I dream I did something really cool in my 20s that I can look back on fondly with pride, and then I wake up and, welp.