Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The large rubber respirators still probably aren't the best solution for health care workers. For one thing most hospital central processing departments aren't really set up to handle large scale decontamination of PPE like that. Like there's a reason disposables are so popular and it ain't just cost.

I had colleagues involved in the N95 decontamination set up at the hospital I'm at and by all accounts it was a drat nightmare. Basically the whole process and facilities had to be built from scratch, everything had to be validated by Health Canada, and there were near riots from the nurses at the idea of having to use the same PPE twice (we were limiting it to a single reuse and only in the situation where a surge happened and our stocks were going to legitimately run out), let alone daily decontamination. Like with the processing rate and volume alone you'd probably still need to provide multiple per HCP if you want to decontaminate them properly.

Again best case scenario is still enough disposables to allow multiple per day per HCP, anything else is really just a stopgap.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Mithaldu posted:

The work the Lincoln Project does to target boomer brains is admirable even if some in their team are reprehensible in their own ways.
It’s been pretty gratifying to finally see it from someone after waiting so long for the Democrats to pick up on it. I’m wondering if they still haven’t done it because they still somehow believe in decorum and bipartisanship despite everything or some political consultant said those voters are unreachable and positive ads help more with motivating the base.

zer0spunk posted:

where i am the min wage is 15/hour, as it should be nationally

so any rear end in a top hat that tries to complain is quickly shut down when you tell them 600= 15/hr X 8 hr days x 5 day weeks..which is literally min wage and if you were making less then that you were exploited

without the pretense of "i'm only roundabout advocating exploiting workers" it just becomes "gently caress the working class" and that's not exactly a tenable position for debate right now go figure
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world only marxists commit class warfare.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's the history of all hitherto existing society, really

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Facebook Aunt posted:

Those are good for single use disposables, but every brand seems to have a significant number of negative reviews with complaints like too large, too small, too slippery, tangles in hair because it's not slippery enough, too brittle, too stretchy and so on. Basically a good product, just not good for that specific customer's head.

For a cloth ear loop mask or a handful of disposable N95s that you reuse, I wonder if just yarn or a soft cotton cord to tie the back of the ear loops together wouldn't work better? You can tie it the perfect length for your particular goony head. String won't get lost like a piece of plastic can. It can go right in the wash with your cloth masks.

String would be inconvenient if you were changing masks a dozen times a day, but most people aren't doing that.

I probably will buy some. I get a good fit on the Staples masks, but can never be too safe. A shoestring that you just thread through the loops on both sides and tie it behind you head. I'll try it on a 10 cent surgical mask to see how tight you can get before breaking the straps.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

poty posted:

A coronavirus (same family as 2002's SARS, but also other harmless stuff) has been reported in China, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, Japan and (announced just now) the US. One case so far in Seattle, the CDC says they expect further cases.

It has killed six people so far in the Wuhan area of China since December. There are 308 confirmed cases (also in China I think). Experts from Imperial College estimate the actual number of patients at 1700.

Wow, remember the good old days? Have to give it to the CDC, they nailed that prediction

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Is there a nice way to tell someone that I think their demented world view is causing them to possibly murder people with their selfishness?

Also that they're a whiny baby for pretending they can't breath through a mask.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

zer0spunk posted:

where i am the min wage is 15/hour, as it should be nationally

so any rear end in a top hat that tries to complain is quickly shut down when you tell them 600= 15/hr X 8 hr days x 5 day weeks..which is literally min wage and if you were making less then that you were exploited

without the pretense of "i'm only roundabout advocating exploiting workers" it just becomes "gently caress the working class" and that's not exactly a tenable position for debate right now go figure

Sorry, but what? I make 15 an hour at my essential job and literally everyone I worked with that got "furloughed" due to the pandemic is getting their regular paycheck -plus- 600 a week.

That means they are literally making 2 1/2 times more than I do to stay safe at home. Meanwhile I've been working non-stop since January with 90% of my co-workers gone, which means I'm doing the work of 7 other people, alone, with no hazard pay, while every other motherfucker keeps strolling in and treating us like Baby's Day Out on The Town.

The CARES act was cool and all, and definitely helped people not starve or be homeless, but there's a whole fuckton of people who didn't get jack or poo poo, while also working through some of the worst conditions possible.

Of course, the HEROES act, which was supposed to be the flipside of the coin, has just been languishing around on Mitch McConnell's desk for like two months while he flosses his teeth with a crisp benjamin after eating his fourth wagyu steak of the morning, seasoned only with the tears of the underclass.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

zer0spunk posted:

I can get a 3m half mask pretty easy right now for 20-30 bucks, goggles aren't hard to find either or expensive. The mask filters are also being produced like crazy and have been pretty available (at least the default ones, the 22xx line is backordered like crazy but those are kinda luxury at this point, better air flow p100 filters don't change the protection aspect at all)..you can find 2091/2097 p100 rated filters for like 8-15 bucks a pair, more than likely even cheaper locally if you have hardware stores in your area

so reusable is, multi use, cheaper and way easier to source then legit x95 disposables. it feels like people are ignoring this option either just from not being aware or thinking the look of it being more intense isn't worth the hassle. it's easier to deal with for extended lengths personally, especially in the summer. other bonus is you can get enclosed in plastic versions of the filters that won't get soaked in the rain
Links please? I was just talking to a medical worker who said he could only find respirator filters on the black market, and the ones that had been like $5 were up to $60.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Galvanik posted:

Is there a nice way to tell someone that I think their demented world view is causing them to possibly murder people with their selfishness?

Also that they're a whiny baby for pretending they can't breath through a mask.

Is it someone who is unironically into performative masculinity or patriotism?

Some low effort options if nothing else:

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 23, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

postmodifier posted:

Sorry, but what? I make 15 an hour at my essential job and literally everyone I worked with that got "furloughed" due to the pandemic is getting their regular paycheck -plus- 600 a week.

That means they are literally making 2 1/2 times more than I do to stay safe at home. Meanwhile I've been working non-stop since January with 90% of my co-workers gone, which means I'm doing the work of 7 other people, alone, with no hazard pay, while every other motherfucker keeps strolling in and treating us like Baby's Day Out on The Town.

The CARES act was cool and all, and definitely helped people not starve or be homeless, but there's a whole fuckton of people who didn't get jack or poo poo, while also working through some of the worst conditions possible.

Of course, the HEROES act, which was supposed to be the flipside of the coin, has just been languishing around on Mitch McConnell's desk for like two months while he flosses his teeth with a crisp benjamin after eating his fourth wagyu steak of the morning, seasoned only with the tears of the underclass.

Where the hell do you live that unemployment isnt a little under half your normal take home?
Not an attack, I want to move there. In the vast majority of America to make just the same amount you did at work with you needed to make less than 30k a year. That's below the poverty line.

What I'm getting at here is that your coworkers that got bailed out aren't your enemies. It your bosses and the aforementioned jackasses in Congress sitting on bailing you out.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

poty posted:

Wow, remember the good old days? Have to give it to the CDC, they nailed that prediction

reading the first few pages of this thread is a real trip

The Real Amethyst posted:

I'll start worrying when it gets to SARS or Swine Flu levels of outbreak.
Heck even ebola wasn't all that worrying for anybody in the west.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

FoolyCharged posted:

Where the hell do you live that unemployment isnt a little under half your normal take home?
Not an attack, I want to move there. In the vast majority of America to make just the same amount you did at work with you needed to make less than 30k a year. That's below the poverty line.

What I'm getting at here is that your coworkers that got bailed out aren't your enemies. It your bosses and the aforementioned jackasses in Congress sitting on bailing you out.

I live and work in the part of upstate NY that is just slightly too far removed from NYC itself to have dodged the blanket minimum wage increase, so 15 an hour for me is based on my role and experience, rather than the standard wage.

NY's unemployment is pretty robust in terms of giving you close to your full wage, especially if you are below the poverty line, like a lot of people are, but they also have a draconic system of making you justify it every week, auditing you at the drop of a hat, and they also cap the weeks you can claim it, lifetime, period. The cap got raised due to the CARES act, which is good, because otherwise basically anyone who had used the system proior to the pandemic, at any point in their history, would have been exempt.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

postmodifier posted:

I live and work in the part of upstate NY that is just slightly too far removed from NYC itself to have dodged the blanket minimum wage increase, so 15 an hour for me is based on my role and experience, rather than the standard wage.

NY's unemployment is pretty robust in terms of giving you close to your full wage, especially if you are below the poverty line, like a lot of people are, but they also have a draconic system of making you justify it every week, auditing you at the drop of a hat, and they also cap the weeks you can claim it, lifetime, period. The cap got raised due to the CARES act, which is good, because otherwise basically anyone who had used the system proior to the pandemic, at any point in their history, would have been exempt.

lol america is insane

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The +600 sounds similar to the Florida unemployment model (if you can get on to unemployment that is). So the small company I'm working for are losing people because nobody wants to work among other people when they can stay home and make more money. Hell, I can't blame them. So we get applications, then lots of no-shows for the interview.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

postmodifier posted:

i uh

not sure what you want me to say here, sorry NYC has a min wage of 15/hour? sorry that the national min wage has been 7.25 since 2009

start writing letters, vote, protest, idk what other options you have. being mad at unemployment and the people on it while you're at work gets no sympathy from me though, we aren't the problem

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Gonna throw this question into the ring for the hell of it: HAs anyone of these forums who's gotten covid died from it? I'm honestly just curious.

Was feeling mostly ok about mine and my roommates safety but just now read an article about a healthy 13 year old in CA who likely died from it. Spookiest of all? The family had been diligent about being safe so nobody knows where the hell he got it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

i got the covid and died from it, op

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Polio Vax Scene posted:

ghost covid is the worst form

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Anne Whateley posted:

Links please? I was just talking to a medical worker who said he could only find respirator filters on the black market, and the ones that had been like $5 were up to $60.

Go to an autobody paint supply store. Not an autobody shop that fixes cars, but someplace like a Sherwin Williams Auto Paint store, Finishmaster, some Napas, or any of the mom and pop places that carry paint and autobody supplies. Most will have 3m or Gerson half masks with P100 filters that filter better than N95 with the added benefit of being oil proof which is probably not much of a concern for hospital use but probably better than buying sketchy N95s from Vladimir in a dark alley for a huge premium. The ones around here all still have them at least as it's how I've been keeping myself busy during quarantine.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 23, 2020

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Polio Vax Scene posted:

RIP

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Go to an autobody paint supply store. Not an autobody shop that fixes cars, but someplace like a Sherwin Williams Auto Paint store, Finishmaster, some Napas, or any of the mom and pop places that carry paint and autobody supplies. Most will have 3m or Gerson half masks with P100 masks that filters better than N95 with the added benefit of being oil proof which is probably not much of a concern for hospital use but probably better than buying sketchy N95s from Vladimir in a dark alley for a huge premium. The ones around here all still have them at least as it's how I've been keeping myself busy during quarantine.

until a month ago N100s were like half the cost of N95s on McMaster cause the lunatics hoarding them only looked for the magic CNN number lol

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 23, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

LemonLimeTime posted:

Gonna throw this question into the ring for the hell of it: HAs anyone of these forums who's gotten covid died from it? I'm honestly just curious.

Was feeling mostly ok about mine and my roommates safety but just now read an article about a healthy 13 year old in CA who likely died from it. Spookiest of all? The family had been diligent about being safe so nobody knows where the hell he got it.

It's not exactly like the dead can come back and post they died. Especially in a thread moving this fast it would look like they just stopped posting if anyone noticed at all.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
A handful of my friends (not goons) have died. And weaker connections like my favorite local restaurant's chef/owner, my friendly neighbor's kid's bestie, people in my apartment building, and other acquaintances.

I've been going out just for groceries, wearing a respirator, washing my clothes and taking Silkwood showers as soon as I get back. About a week ago, I started to cough. Could be just some new allergy, or the AC drying out my throat, or not! Who knows! Fun questions!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Anne Whateley posted:

maybe i'm misunderstanding what you're looking for but 3m bayo mount filters are pretty easy to find, tell them to just google that

here's a staples link

https://www.staples.com/3m-particulate-filter-p100-nuisance-level-organic-vapor-2-pack/product_MMM2097

i would try local hardware stores, janitorial hardware stores etc first since the markup has been way lower than online places

from what i gathered knockoffs are pretty easy to spot too, the filters look much flatter making it obvious..low margins for knockoffs though and the filters are used for so many hardware purposes beyond covid (like dust, organic vapors, yadda yadda)

here's a 3m link to see what each number filter does..2091/2097 are still pretty available..i still think itll get strained like i mentioned the last time it came up but another goon seemed to think they'd still be plentiful no matter what thanks to 3m cranking them out

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/565214O/3m-cartridge-filter-guide-and-brochure.pdf

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 23, 2020

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Anne Whateley posted:

A handful of my friends (not goons) have died. And weaker connections like my favorite local restaurant's chef/owner, my friendly neighbor's kid's bestie, people in my apartment building, and other acquaintances.

I've been going out just for groceries, wearing a respirator, washing my clothes and taking Silkwood showers as soon as I get back. About a week ago, I started to cough. Could be just some new allergy, or the AC drying out my throat, or not! Who knows! Fun questions!

What part of the country are you at?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Local options have probably been dry for months here -- I live in Queens.

I've had a respirator since before everything, so I haven't looked at filters. It's good to know they are still available, I'll try to call and tell that nurse.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

postmodifier posted:

That means they are literally making 2 1/2 times more than I do to stay safe at home. Meanwhile I've been working non-stop since January with 90% of my co-workers gone, which means I'm doing the work of 7 other people, alone, with no hazard pay,

just do your job slow so you get fired and make more money

also why did you put the scary quotes around furloughed. did they not actually get furloughed or

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Anne Whateley posted:

Local options have probably been dry for months here -- I live in Queens.

I've had a respirator since before everything, so I haven't looked at filters. It's good to know they are still available, I'll try to call and tell that nurse.

I copped at my local family owned hardware store this last go around in Bushwick. I don't think you'll end up saving much trying to get it locally, the online prices never seem to be over 20 a pair at the most extreme/gouging that i've seen so far..i'm sure ebay/ali is a free for all like always

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

LemonLimeTime posted:

We have had cases here where I live of people who claim they don't know where they got it. But it always turns out lots of them where working, ordering food, or caught it when they went to the supermarket. Scratching their eyes, removing their masks once, etc. It seems it takes just one tiny mistake to get that poo poo. (There's also the married guys with lovers/still hiring sex workers who claim to their wives and media that's all a mystery~).

Anne Whateley posted:

A friend's dad died recently. Her dad was the coolest dad out there who would always give us free booze when we were in college. A friend's aunt died. Several friends have lots relatives or friends. My uncle who lives in Tijuana and his whole family got that poo poo, and survived. A cousin got it, beat it, but we suspect he got sick again as he was send to work again. We also suspect another uncle died from it, or by complications with another illness. He went to a checkout because he had liver problems, got treatment, and told they had found a tumor on his stomach, got a biopsy and two days later was gone. His girlfriend told us before going he had high fever and was delirious, also complaining about not breathing well. We don't know, he went too fast :smith:

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 23, 2020

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Welp, don't think I will see my dad again until we all get the jab, so like 2022. I was going to go over to his place the next 5 or so days while they do my windows and a brand new ac, i guess, the property manager gets ripped the f off all the time, i just thought it need a good cleaning and seal and refill. Anyway, they won't be working on Sunday and maybe not Sat, but what are some places to go with my cat for 9 hours a day, my ac doesn't work in my car or I would just sit in the parking lot.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I'm having an increasingly worse toothache but thankfully I got denied state health insurance in the middle of the pandemic anyways so the fact that a dentist wouldn't see me isn't a problem :smithicide:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Michael Corleone posted:

Welp, don't think I will see my dad again until we all get the jab, so like 2022. I was going to go over to his place the next 5 or so days while they do my windows and a brand new ac, i guess, the property manager gets ripped the f off all the time, i just thought it need a good cleaning and seal and refill. Anyway, they won't be working on Sunday and maybe not Sat, but what are some places to go with my cat for 9 hours a day, my ac doesn't work in my car or I would just sit in the parking lot.

You can call shelters in your area and ask if they are able to hold your cat temporarily.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Inept posted:

just do your job slow so you get fired and make more money

also why did you put the scary quotes around furloughed. did they not actually get furloughed or

Yeah, furloughed is coded language that a lot of establishments are trying to use to get around unemployment payouts, so you're essentially fired forever, but you're still a paid employee, just scheduled for zero hours a week. Some states have coverage for this fuckaround, so that you still qualify for unemployment if you're still employed but your hours got cut by ×% amount.

Meanwhile everyone got told "don't worry we still love you and the second we can take you back we will" while internal documents were immediately circulated saying "haha but no, hire new people at minimum wage instead of bringing old people back at their previous rate, also if they really want to come back ok sure, but they gotta take a pay cut."

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Polio Vax Scene posted:

You can call shelters in your area and ask if they are able to hold your cat temporarily.

I think I will just pay for a weekly rate at a scum bag motel and hope I can find some Lysol. I don't trust any of my friends to stay with them either. They have to be hurting for business, right? I will sneak my cat in regardless of the rules. Can't be more than 200 bux, hopefully less.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If anyone is still hunting for some disinfectant spray, you can place an order for this one for shipping on/around August 8:

https://www.amazon.com/Windex-Multi-Surface-Disinfectant-Cleaner-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B01GFLZ46W/

edit: from the EPA, you'll want to leave it on for at least 5 minutes to kill COVID-19:

astral fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 23, 2020

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Just ordered 2, thanks OP!

Sounds good yeah, but what if I just want to jump in the the ballpit at McDonalds really quick?

Michael Corleone fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 23, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Michael Corleone posted:

Just ordered 2, thanks OP!

Sounds good yeah, but what if I just want to jump in the the ballpit at McDonalds really quick?

Best to hold off for now. By the time you'd get about halfway done spraying them individually, someone else would have probably jumped in and you'd have to start all over again.

astral fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 23, 2020

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I'm still struggling with making my own cloth masks because public school hosed me over by not having home-ec class, which means I'm having to learn all this poo poo the hard way.

First I was using fabric straight off the bolt and that was fine, but then I found out I have to prewash cotton in order to shrink it. Only problem with that is, once you wash the sizing out of the fabric it gets all wrinkly so now you have to press it with an iron to flatten it out again. Had to go find an iron at the thrift center because I've literally never ironed a piece of fabric before (usually I just throw a wet towel in the dryer with a wrinkly garment).

This is such a pain in the rear end I should just keep buying masks made by other people, but I have all this cute fabric I wanna use. :sigh:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

With my regular unemployment plus $600 COVID bonus plus having all day long to give $50 blowjobs I’m making more money than I ever have in my life

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
goons, i feel dumb as gently caress

in terms of quarantine, i can count on one hand the people ive come into direct contact with since March, and I've been wearing a mask but I've been wearing one of these:

https://rzmask.com/collections/m2-5-masks

there is a carbon filter within these masks between the wearer and the valve, but apparently these only protect the wearer, not others. in terms of actual "exhaust" coming from my mouth it doesn't seem like much gets out at all but I don't know. Would a strip of cloth over the valves make these acceptable? ughhh i feel loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Yeah, I was going to go to a fleabag motel, but I might just stay here, and take him around with me in the house or even to the park, not worth wasting the money in this economy. I would do it but I probably have higher chance of getting C19 at a motel than here with a mask, since I can't find any Lysol. I was promised they would be wearing a mask, but we'll see. I work at home, only reason the shelter thing isn't really a good option for both of us. OK gotta be up at like 4 to move things AGAIN and perfect my plan.