Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
For gimmicks that are worlds apart, Fatu was portrayed as a savage Samoan who couldn’t even figure out how to wear boots to being a street-savvy community activist. He then became a sultan and then a sumo guy who danced to hip hop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Meanwhile Jamal did the opposite, going from a street thug for hire to some kind of Samoan headhunter

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Are there any remotely good books on the AWA? I've brought up a bunch of my dad's memories and I think he'd enjoy reading it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There are too many successful racist or homophobic heel gimmicks to list, but the ones that exploited global tragedies are on another level.

Was Sgt. Slaughter, Iraqi Sympathizer or Muhammad Hassan over with fans? I know Slaughter got death threats and Hassan/Daivari were hated, but I don't know if the angles were big draws. I wasn't watching the Hassan stuff and it sounds like something that would have go away heat with a lot of people even in 2004.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The whole Irag war angle tanked business to the point they had to move 'Mania to a much smaller arena and spread a phony bomb threat story to cover it.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

My fan group in college I think ironically liked Muhammad Hassan but then one time he took over the ring with masked "terrorists" and we were all "oh...poo poo".

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Halloween Jack posted:

There are too many successful racist or homophobic heel gimmicks to list, but the ones that exploited global tragedies are on another level.

Was Sgt. Slaughter, Iraqi Sympathizer or Muhammad Hassan over with fans? I know Slaughter got death threats and Hassan/Daivari were hated, but I don't know if the angles were big draws. I wasn't watching the Hassan stuff and it sounds like something that would have go away heat with a lot of people even in 2004.

If I remember correctly, Hassan had "I dont know what the hell this is" heat. WWE pushed him hard with an Undefeated streak, a group elimination when he entered the Royal Rumble and had him with Hogan at WM21. I dont think he really got go away heat until the London Bombing thing

Q: What was the reasoning that Battle of Los Angeles 2011 was only 1 night? It's the only BOLA that is one night and Never remember hearing a reason why.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
JBL's world title run killed my interest in wrestling for a long time, but I feel like Hassan might've had go-away heat with me had I still been watching regularly... well, that's not entirely fair, I feel like WWE would've had go-away heat with me for having the nerve to do such a blatantly jingoistic and offensive angle. La Resistance and The Un-Americans were bad enough, but I could still just about get away with liking them "ironically", because at least there weren't obvious war crimes being carried out against France, Canada and the UK. I've seen people defend the Hassan angle by saying that at least he just started off as someone from the Middle East who hated the way Americans/westerners stereotyped him... but this was not something emphasised by the commentators (at the Royal Rumble, :bahgawd: "Aw now here's someone I wish WASN'T on Raw!!") and then he just flat out became a terrorist at the same time as the London bombings. Awful, just awful.

I hope it didn't draw. Everything I've read about Turncoat Sgt Slaughter suggests that it wasn't a draw either, which is good as that angle was also vile. That said, it was sort of hilarious when they realised how much they had hosed up and had Sarge WANT HIS COUNTRY BACK within months of burning an American flag a Hulk Hogan t-shirt.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TUS posted:

If I remember correctly, Hassan had "I dont know what the hell this is" heat. WWE pushed him hard with an Undefeated streak, a group elimination when he entered the Royal Rumble and had him with Hogan at WM21. I dont think he really got go away heat until the London Bombing thing

Q: What was the reasoning that Battle of Los Angeles 2011 was only 1 night? It's the only BOLA that is one night and Never remember hearing a reason why.

I think that BOLA had a lot of cancellations for travel

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I remember a shoot interview with Slaughter where he said he was about as dumbfounded as anyone when they told him he was winning the title. Like, even he didn't think that was a good idea but it isn't like he was going to say no

Actually as I recall, he was all for the heel turn when it was just Slaughter bemoaning how cowardly America was for not declaring war. Then they *did* declare war and he was like, oh gently caress

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 22, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathChicken posted:

I remember a shoot interview with Slaughter where he said he was about as dumbfounded as anyone when they told him he was winning the title. Like, even he didn't think that was a good idea but it isn't like he was going to say no

Actually as I recall, he was all for the heel turn when it was just Slaughter bemoaning how cowardly America was for not declaring war. Then they *did* declare war and he was like, oh gently caress

yeah, Sarge handled it about as well as could be expected. Nobody could reasonably expect him to turn down making good money, it just all fell apart when war actually happened.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hassan was the best kind of heel.

The technically correct heel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Randaconda posted:

The whole Irag war angle tanked business to the point they had to move 'Mania to a much smaller arena and spread a phony bomb threat story to cover it.

The bomb threat came from inside Titan Tower

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endless Mike posted:

The bomb threat came from inside Titan Tower

"There's a bomb, dude. It's gonna kill a whole lotta people, JACK,"

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Halloween Jack posted:

septiembre negro

luchador whose gimmick was based on the terrorist group that executed the munich massacre

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oldpainless posted:

One thing I want AEW to do with MJF is have him participate in a rumble or scramble post Wardlow split, and lift the spot from Hassan's rumble appearance where as soon he enters everyone drops what they're doing to light him up because he's such a poo poo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

This is the worst kind of heel, the best kinds of heels are just evil sociopaths who revel in being dicks.

And if he was technically correct you are saying all Muslims are terrorists because he turned out to be a terrorist so I don't think he was remotely correct.

Maigius posted:

Are there any remotely good books on the AWA? I've brought up a bunch of my dad's memories and I think he'd enjoy reading it.

There's only one that I've heard of and I've never seen any reviews or historians talking about it, unfortunately. It's a shame because there have been good Memphis, JCP and World Class docs but none really about the AWA, and no good books like we got for San Francisco or Montreal.

Edit: drat even the Ray Stevens tribute episode of Wrestling Observer Live isn't on Youtube, that had some great stories from Bockwinkel and Heenan about Stevens and the AWA.

Only a couple of clips that I uploaded awhile ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygdM5pdz9IE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 22, 2020

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Hogan and Sarge should have feuded over having the best Hasbro fig.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Not that it really matters, but is there a ballpark figure for how much the recent round of ex-WWE guys picked up by IMPACT are getting paid? Or how their deals are different from that of WWE other than being able to do indies?

Also piggybacking off of that, I do wonder what IMPACT has to gain by hiring dudes like Hawkins or even Heath (who is cool and good). The Good Brothers I understand, but it just seems like a bit of a step backward from developing new talent. Are they going to move the needle at all? Maybe it's apples and oranges but just thinking about guys like Sandow where it's like "Oh, wait until they're out of the WWE's system" and then they suck poo poo.

On that note, I'm legitimately happy that they're getting paid and it's dogshit that they got let go in the first place. If it's partially a show of goodwill and solidarity then that's reason enough. I also don't really know IMPACT's financial situation anymore.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Orange Cassidy used to be Fire Ant, whose gimmick in Chikara was based around being super energetic and doing crazy spots.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Also piggybacking off of that, I do wonder what IMPACT has to gain by hiring dudes like Hawkins or even Heath (who is cool and good). The Good Brothers I understand, but it just seems like a bit of a step backward from developing new talent. Are they going to move the needle at all? Maybe it's apples and oranges but just thinking about guys like Sandow where it's like "Oh, wait until they're out of the WWE's system" and then they suck poo poo.

Hawkins/Myers has had a run or two with them before and Heath has that Rhino thing so I imagine its people within the company advocating for guys they think will be good for the roster (which has had a deficiency for awhile). None of it really moves the needle for me but as far as "developing talent" goes they crowned Chris Bey X Champ at the same show they debuted/returned most of these guys and it seems to have gotten no buzz.

Weirdly the returns that seem to have had the most affect on the card and buzz are the MCMG, the guys they didn't get from WWE.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's amazing to me that WWE brought Shelley in, reunited the Time Splitters... and had them lose in the first round of a tournament, despite apparently having literally no plans for KUSHIDA except 'stop him working for NJPW or AEW'.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Orange Cassidy used to be Fire Ant, whose gimmick in Chikara was based around being super energetic and doing crazy spots.

Chuck Taylor finally scrubbed his YouTube so I am just going to quote the video:

Fire Ant is a bad motherfucker
He's going to kick you in the brain
Going to give you the stone cold stunner.
Kicking rear end
Smoking Grass
But he really loves cocaine
Fire Ant loves cocaine, baby.

Gaz-L posted:

It's amazing to me that WWE brought Shelley in, reunited the Time Splitters... and had them lose in the first round of a tournament, despite apparently having literally no plans for KUSHIDA except 'stop him working for NJPW or AEW'.

He didn't sign a contract and was going to continue taking indie bookings as he wanted. It makes sense that you would treat him like a one shot and not give Alex Shelley any shine since he decided he wasn't going to become a cog in your machine.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

what about this is amazing to you. ruining wrestlers/acts that got over in new japan or didnt get over in tna/roh is wwe's entire thing

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

what about this is amazing to you. ruining wrestlers/acts that got over in new japan or didnt get over in tna/roh is wwe's entire thing

I suppose the sheer consistency with which they do it and yet somehow convince a big chunk of their audience and recruits that they're 'the best' at getting people over.

karmicknight posted:

He didn't sign a contract and was going to continue taking indie bookings as he wanted. It makes sense that you would treat him like a one shot and not give Alex Shelley any shine since he decided he wasn't going to become a cog in your machine.
Then why book him at all? It'd be like booking Jushin Liger to get squashed on the NXT taped before a Takeover that no-one watches because it's 60% clips of the PPV. You're spending money that you don't need to in order to achieve basically nothing.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I think the assumption was that they would get their way and Alex Shelley's soul would belong to them.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Something that is not said about the Iraqi-Sympathizer Sgt. Slaughter Angle is that they had The Iron Sheik playing General Adnan(?).

The iron Sheik is Iranian. A proud Iranian who represented his country at the Olympics. So they had him represent an Iraqi military officer. Iran and Iraq had fought an extremely bloody 8 year war very recently.

So they were making Sheik represent a general that had most likely ordered the deaths of thousands of his own countrymen, but that was OK because he is brown and foreign, so the audience wont know the difference anyways.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BrigadierSensible posted:

Something that is not said about the Iraqi-Sympathizer Sgt. Slaughter Angle is that they had The Iron Sheik playing General Adnan(?).

The iron Sheik is Iranian. A proud Iranian who represented his country at the Olympics. So they had him represent an Iraqi military officer. Iran and Iraq had fought an extremely bloody 8 year war very recently.

So they were making Sheik represent a general that had most likely ordered the deaths of thousands of his own countrymen, but that was OK because he is brown and foreign, so the audience wont know the difference anyways.

Sheik was Col Mustafa, Sheik Adnan Al-Kasee became Gen Adnan. Also, Al-Kasee was a former WWF Tag Team Champ ... as the Native American wrestler Billy White Wolf.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You know I know proud Iranian was his gimmick but didn't he expatriate because the government killed his friend and he was afraid he was next? is that story bullshit? Dunno how patriotic you can be after something like that.

Also; Hassan's gimmick was doomed because Americans are dicks who weren't going to cheer a Muslim right after 9/11 so he couldn't be face but he was so completely justified that no face could play foil to him without coming off as the biggest nationalist dick imaginable so he couldn't be a very good heel either. Maybe don't have a Muslim gimmick right after 9/11 (Hassan himself was Italian anyway).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The idea as it originally played out was a bit like if MJF started going "You people just can't stand to see a Jew be successful" while continuing to be MJF in every regard. Way the gently caress too layered for a WWE audience

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I feel like Hassan being a poo poo while blaming the crowd for hating him on Islamophobia would have it's own problems. I'm not quite sure how MJF gets away with it. Probably because it's such a muted part of his gimmick that you can kinda ignore it. MJF being Jewish is secondary to MJF being MJF. Hassan was more 'HEY LOOK AT ME I AM A MUSLIM!'

Capn Combustible
May 30, 2013

I'm watching you.

ChrisBTY posted:

I feel like Hassan being a poo poo while blaming the crowd for hating him on Islamophobia would have it's own problems. I'm not quite sure how MJF gets away with it. Probably because it's such a muted part of his gimmick that you can kinda ignore it. MJF being Jewish is secondary to MJF being MJF. Hassan was more 'HEY LOOK AT ME I AM A MUSLIM!'

It works because when MJF brings it up I can believe that it's real and that it's coming from him, not a writer or executive in the back. It's a testament to how scummy the business is that making an Italian-American guy pretend to be an Arab to cash in on post 9/11 fear-mongering probably doesn't even crack the top 100 terrible things the WWE has done.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think he only tried out for a spot on the Iranian team, didn't he? Then was a coach on the American team later?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I’ve been thinking about watching through Lucha Underground as I’ve never seen it beyond a few matches.

Is there a pared down watch list of episodes to to go through to see kind of the main story beats and best matches, or should I just watch it in its entirety?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dacap posted:

I’ve been thinking about watching through Lucha Underground as I’ve never seen it beyond a few matches.

Is there a pared down watch list of episodes to to go through to see kind of the main story beats and best matches, or should I just watch it in its entirety?

I'd just recommend watching the first three seasons in its entirety. After that, you could watch season 4, but you're going to come out of it extremely disappointed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its really story and continuity heavy. A lot of what made Lucha Underground so unique was that it was much of a serialized tv show than most any other wrestling show.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How long after Taker’s debut did Paul Bearer show up? I know he came out with Brother Love at the ‘90 Survivor Series, but I don’t remember if it lasted all that long.

EDIT: It always amused me that we don’t know his name. It didn’t matter much until Kane showed up and Bearer was all “Your brother Kane is coming!” but then Kane has to refer to him as Undertaker instead of, you know, a name.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 23, 2020

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How long after Taker’s debut did Paul Bearer show up? I know he came out with Brother Love at the ‘90 Survivor Series, but I don’t remember if it lasted all that long.

EDIT: It always amused me that we don’t know his name. It didn’t matter much until Kane showed up and Bearer was all “Your brother Kane is coming!” but then Kane as to refer to him as Undertaker instead of, you know, a name.

Wikipedia says that Paul Bearer debuted in February of 1991, so Taker was only with Brother Love for like three months.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dacap posted:

A common answer is to start with Aztec Warfare 1 because season 1 is kind of stalling for time while they get everyone's visa issues worked out at first.

And yeah I agree watch the first three seasons. Four has some good wrestling but the show just isn't what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did the WWE ever use nameplates on their belts before they bought WCW? It seems that they started once they had possession of the big gold belt and next thing you know people are getting personalized titles and custom plates for the sides and everything. Before 2001 I only remember the smoking skull belt and I know there was one commissioned for the Rock that they never ended up using.