Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Those prototype tunes would be great in some forgettable Genesis game, but they pale in comparison to the MJ tunes. Dude may have been a creep, but he knew how to make poo poo slap. I'd say Sega should just pay the royalties and re-release Sonic 3 and Knuckles so this generation can see a truly, truly good 2D Sonic game.

Mania was good, but it's not on the level of S3K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've never been hugely into the S3&K soundtrack myself, and even though Ice Cap is the best of the three replacements I'm also not a major Hard Times fan. That said the prototypes did sound like they needed some polish before primetime.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

Mania was good, but it's not on the level of S3K.

As much as I loved the remixed zones it's a bummer Sega didn't give them the time and money to make a wholly new game. It's the one big strike against it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think Mania’s a more consistent game than S3&K and overall quality wise it’s almost neck and neck. S3&K will always be my favorite but it’s close.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

The prototype Carnival isn't half bad - and I feel like I've been seeing people refer to MJ Carnival Night as "clown music" in a derogatory fashion? So I kinda believe it.

What are the levels with alt. tracks? Carnival, Ice Cap and Launch Base? I don't remember the rest of the prototype tracks feeling too far off from their final vibe. Maybe a pass could help, but they did stick those prototype tracks into PC, so it's not like there was anything missing? Unless putting them into the PC version in their existing state was a purely desperation move. Also, while Hard Times is excellent, having a re-listen the prototype Ice Cap isn't half bad. I think Launch Base prototype might be the weakest?

It's probably just a lot of just what I grew up with, but listening to proto Launch Base, it just doesn't feel like it sits beside something like Hydrocity?

e: Like, I generally have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to music, but it really almost feels like the style between the prototype unique tracks just feels totally different then the style of everything else?

It sounds like clown music.
In a good way.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

It doesn't fit at all. Carnival Night is a night spent at a run-down lovely place that's half-flooded and has unreliable electricity. The MJ version gets that across with its crusty percussion and sparse, repetitive instrumentation (going outright silent sometimes!). Like a broken calliope running by itself with absolutely no one else around. The prototype is just way too peppy by comparison, it sounds more like the background music for an exciting game show or something. There's barely any scumminess, it's too earnest. And keep in mind it's the third-to-last level of the game, we're getting pretty deep into Robotnik's territory, that's not the time for music that light and carefree.

And to head it off because it comes up all the time in these discussions: no, it's not just because I grew up with the MJ version. The songs are too drastically different to write off the preference as mere nostalgia.

I am skeptical that any human being would prefer the MJ version if it weren't for nostalgia, but there is something in this post that bothers me a lot more, and it's that Carnival Night is the 9th last level in the game, not the 3rd. That's the way it was designed and that's the way 99% of people who have ever played the game or who ever will play the game have experienced it.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I think Mania’s a more consistent game than S3&K and overall quality wise it’s almost neck and neck. S3&K will always be my favorite but it’s close.

Yeah it's pretty close. I like the level gimmicks a little more in Mania but the final boss is lackluster while S3&K's is the gold standard by which all platformers are measured.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 22, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Super Sonic final boss in Mania is lame. My only major criticism of the game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bodyholes posted:

I am skeptical that any human being would prefer the MJ version if it weren't for nostalgia

It actually sounds more like a carnival song though.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Also it sounds a lot like Jam, a good MJ song? Get the gently caress outta here with "people only like it for nostalgia"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xad posted:

Also it sounds a lot like Jam, a good MJ song? Get the gently caress outta here with "people only like it for nostalgia"

Yeah the end of the track is straight out of Jam.

We can all agree this is the best version of any Sonic song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5g8XIlVYLI

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It’s not technically Sonic news, but Yuji Naka and Naoto Oshima have reunited, something I never thought I’d see. And at Square Enix, no less! It’s a shame they didn’t get Yasuhara as well but he works at Unity and teaches class now rather than developing games, I believe.

Balan Wonderworld is very Oshima-ish, and reminds me of that kind of 3D platformer that mostly died out with the Wii. It’s kind of a mix between NiGHTS, Billy Hatcher, and Mario Odyssey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVNsnrPkCI8

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

It looks fantastic and I hope it's good.

Between that, the new PSO announcement, and the Lethal League team making a Jet Set Radio successor (with Hideki Naganuma), I'm in heaven.

Well, a sonic game announcement would be nice too

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

I'm not personally a fan of the lethal league games, but these devs do solid work so this sounds great

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Getting serious Nights vibes from that. Hopeful for an eventual PC port!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It’s not technically Sonic news, but Yuji Naka and Naoto Oshima have reunited, something I never thought I’d see. And at Square Enix, no less! It’s a shame they didn’t get Yasuhara as well but he works at Unity and teaches class now rather than developing games, I believe.

Balan Wonderworld is very Oshima-ish, and reminds me of that kind of 3D platformer that mostly died out with the Wii. It’s kind of a mix between NiGHTS, Billy Hatcher, and Mario Odyssey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVNsnrPkCI8

this looks delightful

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looks a bit meh to me but it’s pretty. Maybe I should finally play Nights.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

azurite posted:

Getting serious Nights vibes from that. Hopeful for an eventual PC port!
There was a Steam logo present so I think you're good there

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Looks a bit meh to me but it’s pretty. Maybe I should finally play Nights.

8 bucks on Steam and worth every penny.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Groovelord Neato posted:

8 bucks on Steam and worth every penny.

I already got it for free somehow on Steam.:)

I’ve tried to casually try it a few times but I didn’t know what I was doing. This time I’ll actually read the tutorials.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

You’ve never truly played NiGHTS unless you played it with the giant Saturn 3D controller

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Did they ever fix the PC version to include analog controls?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Nights, was the Wii sequel any good?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's very different structurally but not having played the first game, I liked it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Larryb posted:

No.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

If you only play the classic style levels it’s decent, but those are only a fraction of them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The other levels are mostly fun.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dabir posted:

The other levels are mostly fun.

It's pretty much either a transformation level (ok), some gimmicky level (short but ok), or the kid missions (long and not fun).

The game is alright though it is pretty different. The general levels and music are still pretty good which is mostly what matters, though the bosses aren't nearly as cool imo (though the had sick music).

Edit: Ok I also forgot the IR sensor for the main menu might be one of the slowest/laggiest there is on the Wii, and I never understood why. It doesn't really matter, but god help you if you tried to play with just the Wiimote

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

the best NiGHTS game is SRB2

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

azurite posted:

Did they ever fix the PC version to include analog controls?

I don't believe so, still 8-direction afaik.

I wanted to point out that Naka and Ohshima's new game, Balan Underworld, is not an Xbox exclusive and is also coming to PS4, Switch, and PC. So everyone can play it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
There is no such thing as a third party xbox exclusive.

Also kinda getting a billy hatcherish vibe from the trailer, hope it's good.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
sick i'd love a joker and the chocolate factory game.

too bad they didn't get the lady that did most of nights ost, it's still one of my favorites.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, amazing.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1287808367084228609?s=19

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
A)
Trailer for this year's SAGE is out. It's mind-crushing how many games doing different things are in there, even more so than ususal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nElBxexdMBw
B)
For those following the Sonic games for Mobile, treasure-hunting versions of Knux and Rouge are coming to Dash (and probably Forces). The Knux one includes the Dundee hat from the OVA.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I don't know why but just seeing the name "Sonic DVD" just makes me giggle, in a good way

There's so many different games there, it's really impressive, but maybe it's cause I haven't kept up with SAGE in forever

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MatthewCappucci/status/1294759244722581505

Silver's future was apparently 2020

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Posting my old video again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ENYCbmp6Xg

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

lmao this is so good

Veotax
May 16, 2006

This is neat, someone made a tech demo remaking Green Hill Zone, Act 3 (sans-boss) on the SNES. Looks like it works pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4LNM8b9Vg4

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJrvXvh2hXI

Sonic 2 Hidden Palace recycled into a tech demo for another game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dehry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJrvXvh2hXI

Sonic 2 Hidden Palace recycled into a tech demo for another game.

I’ll be elderly and still be finding out more Hidden Palace Zone details.