Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

MomJeans420 posted:

Interesting theory if I'm reading this right - a huge portion of their accounts receivable balance is unpaid regulatory credits because their EU demand has collapsed and it may gently caress over FCA? I think the 40% number was on the Tesla call today, but I also don't trust Musk to not just pull numbers out of his rear end

https://twitter.com/evebitdap/status/1286086180006694922?s=20

*edit*
Or it's let me recognize revenue now but you'll pay me in the future when the cars are sold
https://twitter.com/Convertbond/status/1286066411513819136?s=20

I'm dumb, what crimes has musk commited now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

wargames posted:

I'm dumb, what crimes has musk commited now?

some variety of carbon credit fraud they're alleging

my very shaky understanding is they have commitments to sell <x> number of zero emission vehicles, for which they'll receive <x> number of regulatory credits, and they've sold the hypothetical credits to other manufacturers already and booked the revenue. they may or may not have actually sold the cars that begat the credits in the first place, and they haven't actually received the money they've claimed as revenue

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 23, 2020

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

infernal machines posted:

some variety of carbon credit fraud they're alleging

my very shaky understanding is they have commitments to sell <x> number of zero emission vehicles, for which they'll receive <x> number of regulatory credits, and they've sold the hypothetical credits to other manufacturers already and booked the revenue. they may or may not have actually sold the cars that begat the credits in the first place

lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

at least he's trying!!!!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm not knowledgeable on accounting rules for public companies so I can't say if it's illegal or just pushing the rules (if that), but my understanding for the EU credits is that they're pooled by year so Tesla and FCA have to agree to pool for all of 2020. I could be wrong on that, and who knows what the actual contract between the two companies says in terms of all sorts of issues that may arise. It sounds like they expect to recognize a much smaller amount of regulatory credits for the second half of 2020, so what I think is happening is Tesla has taken whatever FCA would owe them in Q3 and Q4 and pulled a lot of it forward to Q2 in order to post a profit, which is why their accounts receivable grew by a large amount (FCA is not going to pay Tesla until they actually sell those cars, or that's the theory at least).

Tesla's disclosure statements say this:

We recognize revenue on the sale of automotive regulatory credits at the time control of the regulatory credits is transferred to the purchasing party as automotive revenue in the consolidated statement of operations.

What the that actually means, who knows? It certainly looks like they're not being paid for these credits at the moment.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think this is another case of "sure, it's shady as hell, but is it actually fraud?"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol he's kiting carbon credits

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/DomDiFurio/status/1286059519315976192

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so like under $15/hour once benefits are accounted for

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

so like under $15/hour once benefits are accounted for

significantly under, ever looked at a "total compensation" statement?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

significantly under, ever looked at a "total compensation" statement?

I have but I'm guessing it won't be actual good benefits

seems like a stretch in texas where there's tons of actual industrial jobs that pay significantly better

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

seems like a stretch in texas where there's tons of actual industrial jobs that pay significantly better
in the covid economy with double-digit unemployment those jobs might be hard to come by

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

qirex posted:

i don't know poo poo from shinola down there, but couldn't you work as a labor monkey at an oil refinery and earn at least a high 5 figs?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

even crap benefits would eat up half of that

looks like the gm plant in arlington pays their line workers between $20 and $30 an hour in actual money

and the toyota plant in san antonio seems to be a little bit higher than that at $25-35, but that might be outdated

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Roosevelt posted:

i don't know poo poo from shinola down there, but couldn't you work as a labor monkey at an oil refinery and earn at least a high 5 figs?

yes, i've done that work and it's fairly dangerous but pays well for unskilled labor

and then once you do the training to become a plant operator it's like white collar good and you're set

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

oil is very cyclical and its currently in a down part so good luck getting hired

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

i think this is another case of "sure, it's shady as hell, but is it actually fraud?"

thats a decent portion of enrons early years until the fraud snowballed into the collapse of the company. just lots of increasingly daring moves to push the envelope with fancy numbers, which tesla seems intent on mimicking to the fullest degree with no lessons learned and more public fumbling

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i only ever male it about 40% of the way through the enron book but even then it was just one clever bad move after another. tesla is that minus the dozen or so senior execs trying to outmaneuver for paydays and one ceo filing all those roles in the story

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/djulik/status/1286053695956881409?s=20

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
oil also means you have to live in houston.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

he's such a piece of poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:vomarine:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
https://twitter.com/mchrishawkins/status/1286295229394382849

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

There is no way to become a multiplanitary species without first filling the sky with garbage and making our planet uninhabitable.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if I don't see computers everywhere how am I to remember that technology is everywhere

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
reminder that the current starlink satellites are broken and can never fulfill the original mission goals. they are literally missing parts needed to execute the idea. they are actual space junk.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Jonny 290 posted:

reminder that the current starlink satellites are broken and can never fulfill the original mission goals. they are literally missing parts needed to execute the idea. they are actual space junk.

Can I get a source on this? I have a fanboy I want to sandbag with FACTS and LOGIC

I do know they got slapped down by the FCC for misrepresenting theoretical latencies. Is there anything on provable bandwidth?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm actually steamed whenever I remember that some jagoff sent a bunch of trash into space and the global community's space agencies couldn't slap a fine on his rear end so big it'd drop his hairline back.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

on the plus side, maybe it's a moral imperative to instigate kessler syndrome so that we never make it off this rock and pollute space with our brand of horrorcapitalist culture

like, 'alien' was just as much about the evils of spacecapitalism as aliens (arguably way more)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1286212775048617985

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

marky z wants you to put your whole life on facebook but he bought the four houses surrounding his house so that no one can see where he actually lives

elon musk wants you to put your life in the hands of his carputers but he won't even connect his oven to the wifi

hmmmmmmmmmmm

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Not a Children posted:

Can I get a source on this? I have a fanboy I want to sandbag with FACTS and LOGIC

I do know they got slapped down by the FCC for misrepresenting theoretical latencies. Is there anything on provable bandwidth?

i'm not sure what you want for a source exactly, they were sold as being able to mesh route between sats (see: https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/elon-musk-starlink-space-simulation/), as of this date they cannot

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/26/tech/spacex-starlink-elon-musk-tweet-gwynne-shotwell/index.html posted:

The 60 satellites that we already flew are capable of operations, but the next version will have upgraded technology.* By late next year, we'll be flying satellite with lasers that allow them to talk to each other in space and share data, which ensures customers will never lose service.

*i.e. not any of the versions they've launched to date

the fcc's skepticism is warranted because their latency claims appear to assume there are zero hops other than ground to orbit and back, and the latency is only time-of-flight to/from orbit, both of which are untrue

the bandwidth will be a function of the bandwidth per sat and the number of users per sat, which given their orbits will probably be all over the place, so i don't know of anything that isn't purely hypothetical. suffice it to say anyone making calculations showing more than a few mbps is making some wholly unfounded assumptions based on musk's marketing bullshit.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 23, 2020

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

The Little Death posted:

I actually remember reading a sci-fi novel where people get neural wetware istalled as kids so that their neural systems are able to adapt. It even had the hormone regulator function, so you could tune down things like anger and fear when they weren't useful to you.

One of the specific premises was that even if everyone got one because you needed the implant to navigate society, poor people got worse versions and it put them at a perpetual disadvantage that reinforced class structure.

So right up Elon's alley.

E: Remebered the name. It was This Alien Shore

so-called "poors": 95% of them have neural implants

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Am I right in saying that not only is their laser-meshed sattelite network not on the Starlink sats, but it's not currently a thing that's been shown to work at all? There's no ground based test mesh that has shown you can wirelessly send a piece of data from one moving node to any other node across the constantly shifting network at high speed and minimal latency? In which case they've launched temporary sattelites that are just waiting to fall back down becauce they don't have a necessary technology on board because it doesn't actually exist yet. They explain by telling you it's all fine, this is for the greater good and you should just pretend that these things actually do something other than clutter up part of the earth's orbit.

I am wondering if this would actually be any better than cables at ground level or if they're just doing it because they can and not because they should. For any normal tech company, I would assume that the majority of this kinda works and has been shown to be a real improvement in some regard if they had progressed to actually launching sattelites, especially sattelites that have to be constantly renewed. But this isn't a normal tech company, and I could fully believe Musk is firing off sattelites just to look like he's doing something and inflate his own ego.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

you can’t bury fiber with falcon 9s

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the starlink poo poo currently exists solely as artificial demand for spacex launches.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TheDarkFlame posted:

Am I right in saying that not only is their laser-meshed sattelite network not on the Starlink sats, but it's not currently a thing that's been shown to work at all? There's no ground based test mesh that has shown you can wirelessly send a piece of data from one moving node to any other node across the constantly shifting network at high speed and minimal latency? In which case they've launched temporary sattelites that are just waiting to fall back down becauce they don't have a necessary technology on board because it doesn't actually exist yet. They explain by telling you it's all fine, this is for the greater good and you should just pretend that these things actually do something other than clutter up part of the earth's orbit.

I am wondering if this would actually be any better than cables at ground level or if they're just doing it because they can and not because they should. For any normal tech company, I would assume that the majority of this kinda works and has been shown to be a real improvement in some regard if they had progressed to actually launching sattelites, especially sattelites that have to be constantly renewed. But this isn't a normal tech company, and I could fully believe Musk is firing off sattelites just to look like he's doing something and inflate his own ego.

stationary point to point optical links are possible, and mesh networks are possible, but no, to my knowledge no one has done mobile optical point to point links, certainly not multiple point to point links to/from multiple transceivers to create a mesh*, and i'm not aware of any globe spanning meshes with tens of thousands of nodes, so there's no precedent for them claiming they have some way of doing low latency mesh routing at that scale

*all the fanfic about starlink shows each sat connected to at least four others

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 23, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's just pointing four lasers on a washing-machine-sized satellite to hit and track four other washing-machine-sized satellites 600 miles away going 17,000 miles an hour sometimes in the opposite direction, michael. how hard could it be?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CoverDrive12/status/1286398839461642244

lol what a scam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

it's just pointing four lasers on a washing-machine-sized satellite to hit and track four other washing-machine-sized satellites 600 miles away going 17,000 miles an hour sometimes in the opposite direction, michael. how hard could it be?

much like bitcoin, once the problem has been identified, it's basically solved