Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was reading some Shigurui last night, and this series seriously hates that Iku lady. I think we're up to 3 gruesome mutilations now, and given she seems to have survived the third I'm expecting something else in the future.

Everyone in this series is a terrible person. I think I like Irako the most of all the characters, just because he's directly "gently caress everyone, I'm ambitious" instead of wrapping up his extreme violence in a veneer of honor/bushido/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Shigurui is amazing but I feel a bit queasy after every chapter. Blown away by the art and energy of it while simultaneously sickened by its content...the quintessential old school seinen experience...

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

That Works posted:

Yeah I feel like the overall theme is really just to show how ultimately stupid Bushido is when you get down to it.

I've read a few series that have been described that way but they all seem to come off to me more like 'The virtuous samurai has no choice but to perform evil acts at his lord's command, ah, what a tragic fate for a noble soul' than 'A philosophy that values loyalty over morality is really loving stupid when those demanding your loyalty are immoral'.

Can you recommend one where the protagonist goes 'screw THIS' to Bushido and it's unequivocally presented as the right thing to do?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mary Annette posted:

I've read a few series that have been described that way but they all seem to come off to me more like 'The virtuous samurai has no choice but to perform evil acts at his lord's command, ah, what a tragic fate for a noble soul' than 'A philosophy that values loyalty over morality is really loving stupid when those demanding your loyalty are immoral'.

Can you recommend one where the protagonist goes 'screw THIS' to Bushido and it's unequivocally presented as the right thing to do?

Comedy answer? Gintama

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The Fable is finally picking up and we're seeing some action. A great point to start reading, pretty fun so far.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mary Annette posted:

There's a difference between the opinions of the characters and what happens in the story, though. Like Shigurui has the members of this sword dojo defending the honor of their dojo and master, but they're also all portrayed as pretty terrible people.

One part I liked just because it was relatively realistic is when Gennosuke has this scene where he's killing these guys bare-handed and getting their teeth stuck in his palms, and I thought that was just being done to show how hard he was hitting them, but then a couple chapters later his hand is all swollen and festering from an infection he got from the teeth that got stuck in his palm lol

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mary Annette posted:

I mean this is literally Shigurui except the main characters don't go "screw this" to bushido. They follow it straight to hell and you get to see it happen step by unflinchingly loyal and bloody step.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That Works posted:

Comedy answer? Gintama

This also qualifies as a serious answer, incidentally.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, Gintama plays things straight just enough to have real heart.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Gintama is one of those series I keep hearing the name of but know nothing about.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Mary Annette posted:

I don't recall any character painted as noble in Death Frenzy. They're not trying to make samurai look like the good guys. Far from it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Zerilan posted:

Gintama is one of those series I keep hearing the name of but know nothing about.

The basic gist of the setting:

Take a standard bakumatsu period setting - Shinsengumi, a modernizing Japan, etc.

Except instead of Matthew Perry knocking on Japan's door to demand open trade, aliens invaded and conquered Earth, turning Kyoto into a cosmopolitan megacity.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tarezax posted:

The basic gist of the setting:

Take a standard bakumatsu period setting - Shinsengumi, a modernizing Japan, etc.

Except instead of Matthew Perry knocking on Japan's door to demand open trade, aliens invaded and conquered Earth, turning Kyoto into a cosmopolitan megacity.

And everyone is some sort of funny idiot. Especially the Shinsengumi.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Mary Annette posted:

thats literally how blade of the immortal starts and a huge part of it is steeped in class warfare between people who have been hosed over by the societal standards and folks who represent the status quo

also the villain is the government i guess

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gintama is kind of like futurama, in that the setting is designed so as to be able to make jokes about the widest number of subjects. gintama has samurai jokes, it has modern pop culture jokes, it has sci-fi jokes, and boy howdy does it ever have shinsengumi jokes. the shinsengumi were never particularly impressive in life, but they have become beloved, near-mythical historical figures in japan. gintama really, really likes taking the piss out of that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

gintama is kind of like futurama, in that the setting is designed so as to be able to make jokes about the widest number of subjects. gintama has samurai jokes, it has modern pop culture jokes, it has sci-fi jokes, and boy howdy does it ever have shinsengumi jokes. the shinsengumi were never particularly impressive in life, but they have become beloved, near-mythical historical figures in japan. gintama really, really likes taking the piss out of that.

Don't think I really even knew who the shinsengumi were until reading Golden Kamuy but after being aware of who they are it became apparent pretty quickly how much a lot of manga love deifying their top members.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

That Works posted:

Comedy answer? Gintama

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I recall starting and dropping Gintama as an anime pretty quick, maybe another chance is in order.

AnonSpore posted:

I mean this is literally Shigurui except the main characters don't go "screw this" to bushido. They follow it straight to hell and you get to see it happen step by unflinchingly loyal and bloody step.

About 20 chapters in now, and you (and others) are right - it's assholes all the way down.

Fereydun posted:

thats literally how blade of the immortal starts and a huge part of it is steeped in class warfare between people who have been hosed over by the societal standards and folks who represent the status quo

OK, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tips, everyone!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yes but its a comedy :downsrim:

I actually just said comedy answer because Gintama was the only thing i could think of that really worked in that space. I shoulda thought of Blade of the Immortal too I guess.

nerdz posted:

The Fable is finally picking up and we're seeing some action. A great point to start reading, pretty fun so far.

Yep its getting good

Him apologizing to his 'sister' in the car in case he accidentally killed someone and complaining how hard it was to be nonlethal was cracking me the gently caress up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Don't think I really even knew who the shinsengumi were until reading Golden Kamuy but after being aware of who they are it became apparent pretty quickly how much a lot of manga love deifying their top members.

Which makes Gintama even funnier because the Shinsengumi crew are hilarious and dumb af.

e: Some of the same characters pop up in our favorite Valkyrie / Ragnarok manga going on right now.

I think Gintama is one of those things that is funnier / easier to understand if you've watched a ton of other poo poo involving the same period. There's a lot of near/practically inside jokes that get lost if you are less familiar. The manga is maybe a better place to start for it tbh.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Yeah this is a great description, I didn't think about it being Futurama but that totally works.

That Works fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 16, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Fable is so much fun -- tbh I've enjoyed the slice of life farting around parts just as much or more as the action bits. The "sister" messing with guys in the bar was so funny -- the faces she was making at the bartender had me rolling.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
also Jackal is hilarious

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Someone is finally translating the rest of bambino secondo again and I vaguely remember people mentioning that the series is a flaming trash fire that goes from Italian cooking restaurant hi-jinks to some hardcore JPN nationalist stuff. Was that correct or am I mixing up some stuff?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

pentyne posted:

Someone is finally translating the rest of bambino secondo again and I vaguely remember people mentioning that the series is a flaming trash fire that goes from Italian cooking restaurant hi-jinks to some hardcore JPN nationalist stuff. Was that correct or am I mixing up some stuff?

I dropped the series when a character is killed by an umbrella but the story very much was going further and further away from a grounded cooking series which it started off as.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Hi I scanlated the first series and about all I can say is that it went from being a series about a dude who works at a restaurant to being a series about a dude getting into crazy drama who happens to work at a restaurant

Also yeah it does get some pretty strong nationalistic/xenophobic poo poo going in the second series

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
It did? All I remember was the bad chef and the ninja hobo waiter wielding nunchucks while carrying a cat.

e: It did have the passionate Mexican-American chef named Coyote Blades who lost his girlfriend on 9/11, and the Mafia cooking contest, but IIRC that was in the first series?

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 20, 2020

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm not sure I get what the invaders are in Dead Dead Demon's.

Like Isobeyon talks about humans being mistaken about individual life, sort of implying that outside of Earth poo poo is kind of all Childhood's End, but his own actions and every perspective we've ever gotten from invaders shows that they are themselves individuals, every bit as capable of division and independent action as humans. I guess you could say he's supposed to be unreliable but it doesn't seem framed that way, it's more like he's supposed to be explaining a metaphysical concept that just doesn't quite make sense given what else we know.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

New Berserk AND a new Apocalypse Zero? Happy Seinen Thursday

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We got a double shot of Shiori Experience as well.

Mitsuoka is so close to entering a different realm of music it's palpable. She just needs one more solid push to get her out of the routine and into the jam.

Push. Harder.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The Shiori Experience will end up dismantling every other award-winning program this school has.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Mitsuoka's mom is cool, I like her.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mirage posted:

The Shiori Experience will end up dismantling every other award-winning program this school has.
Isn't the main antagonist a Jimmy Saville expy?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

its always good day when a new chapter of THE HARD is released

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if that toilet was ready for that man.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

One thing led to another and there's a new chapter of Shuumatsu no Valkyrie

Fights faked out, Odin is a Furi fan, and Shiva is down to three arms.

In defense of Lu Bu, he fought evenly with Thor who in terms of raw force seems to be way beyond what someone like Jack or Kojiro could have handled. Adam had a lot of hax in him so who knows with him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm enjoying Hipster Buddha

quote:

In defense of Lu Bu, he fought evenly with Thor who in terms of raw force seems to be way beyond what someone like Jack or Kojiro could have handled. Adam had a lot of hax in him so who knows with him.
Lu Bu wasn't really even with Thor in the same way Raiden is here. Raiden can actually take blows from Shiva going by the damage at the end of this chapter and also dish it out going by his spectacular opening moves. Lu Bu's legs were broken the first time he blocked a strike from Thor and despite being called the strongest human we just found out that Raiden has basically been holding back his whole life.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first fight made it seem as though humans are innately weaker and more fragile than gods. but then every fight that followed essentially abandoned that premise. so, lu bu was just a chump.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Someones gotta job
and lu bu is a pretty big deal to go jobbing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Lu "Worf" Bu

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Pursue Lu Bu, you'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Brought To You By posted:

Lu Bu wasn't really even with Thor in the same way Raiden is here. Raiden can actually take blows from Shiva going by the damage at the end of this chapter and also dish it out going by his spectacular opening moves. Lu Bu's legs were broken the first time he blocked a strike from Thor and despite being called the strongest human we just found out that Raiden has basically been holding back his whole life.

Lu Bu was blocking blows from Mjolnir just fine and blocked and countered Thor's Hammer without any trouble (we don't see exactly what happens but Lu Bu stayed close to slash Thor's chest so I don't think he dodged). Now, when Mjolnir "woke up" Lu Bu got his legs broken but it's not like Shiva has done more than toss out some punches and do a throw.

Results in...

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 31, 2020