Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Juul-Whip posted:

let's check in on Lindsay Shepherd

I've never heard of True North but I did see a construction worker wearing a

TRUE NORTH
CANADA
STANDS WITH
HONG KONG

t-shirt the other day that made me do a double take. I guess I get it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I watched her stupid video and to no one's surprise she doesn't give any substantial reason why she's against it except that she's being told to.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂÂĂŒÂĂŒÂ° ĂÂ“ĂŒÂ¯ĂŒÂ–ĂŒÂ«ĂŒÂ¹ĂŒÂ¯ĂŒÂ¤A҉mĂÂĂŒÂºĂŒÂ© ĂÂ‡ĂŒÂ¬AĂŒÂ¡ĂŒÂ®ĂŒÂĂŒÂ ĂÂĂÂ‰ĂŒÂ±ĂŒÂ« KĂŒÂ¶eĂ“gĂÂ.ĂŒÂ•ĂŒÂ»ĂŒÂ±ĂŒÂªĂÂ–ĂŒÂ¹ĂŒÂŸ

Juul-Whip posted:

let's check in on Lindsay Shepherd

*extremely Tofino guy voice* look at the kook

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I watched her stupid video and to no one's surprise she doesn't give any substantial reason why she's against it except that she's being told to.

itS AboUt pErsOnaL fReEdoM

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
shouldn't those people's contrarian phase have ended during their childhood

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
hi canadians, just dry-coughing into this thread from down south to ask if y'all would please take mike pence off our hands, consider it reparations for the lobster man and the egg man, but more importantly it looks like our horse-loving veep would fit right in?

https://twitter.com/BoneLamb/status/1286295008065269761

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

hi canadians, just dry-coughing into this thread from down south to ask if y'all would please take mike pence off our hands, consider it reparations for the lobster man and the egg man, but more importantly it looks like our horse-loving veep would fit right in?

Us taking Mike Pence means you have to take Jordan Peterson, Jason Kenney, and at least two Fords. Do you really want this smoke

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Isn't Leanne Fitch the former police chief of Fredericton PD that took over when they were having a massive corruption/nepotism/brutality scandal? If I recall she basically ended that scandal without holding people responsible. Fired a sergeant or something, prevented massive public inquiry. I remember that there was a father/son combo on the force where the father supervised the son and had cleared him on like hundreds of brutality complaints or something. Other highlights of that era was the PD getting in a weird turf war with the Army from the base a town over and just beating the poo poo out of soldiers in downtown freddy. It getting videoed multiple times was what led to public outcry and Fitch being brought in.

Oh, also the police began harassing some local kook. They would raid his home, take his computer, smash his stuff. All because he ran some weird anti-police blog. Like random conspiracy stuff. The guy was totally harmless. I believe he got a higher court to order the police to stop.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Jul 23, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

flashy_mcflash posted:

Us taking Mike Pence means you have to take Jordan Peterson, Jason Kenney, and at least two Fords. Do you really want this smoke

jordan peterson is a vegetable, he can't bother anyone any more

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

flashy_mcflash posted:

america had a crack-smoking mayor decades before toronto, you think some b-list fords are gunna phase us? but pence is a pretty big name so in the interest of proportionality we are willing to take trudeau, he would be perfect for the virginia governorship

america is happy to take the vegetable who only eats meat off your hands, living here he'll be dead in weeks so it's what we call a win-win. as a show of good faith plz assassinate all canadians who are responsible for nickelback, tia

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
gently caress u, im not swimming out to chad krogers private island to kill him

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

First of all, raccoons aren't pets. Furthermore, I

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Does getting sprayed by a skunk count as a 'sexual experience'?

If so, I fully acted as a matchmaker for my buddy's dog the other night in the park.

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

Virtual Russian posted:

Isn't Leanne Fitch the former police chief of Fredericton PD that took over when they were having a massive corruption/nepotism/brutality scandal? If I recall she basically ended that scandal without holding people responsible. Fired a sergeant or something, prevented massive public inquiry. I remember that there was a father/son combo on the force where the father supervised the son and had cleared him on like hundreds of brutality complaints or something. Other highlights of that era was the PD getting in a weird turf war with the Army from the base a town over and just beating the poo poo out of soldiers in downtown freddy. It getting videoed multiple times was what led to public outcry and Fitch being brought in.

Oh, also the police began harassing some local kook. They would raid his home, take his computer, smash his stuff. All because he ran some weird anti-police blog. Like random conspiracy stuff. The guy was totally harmless. I believe he got a higher court to order the police to stop.

That was all connected.

quote:

Charles LeBlanc roams the streets all hours of the day and night. He often videotapes police interacting with citizens, and sometimes, well, let’s just say the police aren’t acting in the best possible manner in some cases.

That’s where LeBlanc’s troubles with the Fredericton Police Force seem to start. he videotaped Fredericton Police Force members beating the crap out of someone. That someone happened to be a Canadian Forces soldier.

Charles blogged about it and, apparently posted the video on YouTube. That caused no end of grief for the Fredericton Police Force, and rightfully so. Since then the FPF appear to be on mission to “get” The Blogger, the name Charles uses for himself.

New Brunswick resident Lawrence Manzer has an excellent timeline of events for LeBlanc’s problems with police, in which he asked the question “Is it Time that Fredericton Police Chief Barry McKnight Resigns?”

I would suggest the answer to that question is “Yes.”

Members of the police are public servants. As such, the public has a right to protest when the police act undignified or worse, as in the case where they beat the crap out of a Canadian soldier. Even welfare recipients who blog are citizens, a fact that obviously is lost on the Fredericton Police Force and Chief McKnight.

Here’s a tip. If you don’t want people protesting outside the police station, try acting in a manner worthy of respect. It’s just a thought…

Recently Fredericton City Police arrested Charles and charged him with criminal libel against one of its own police constables. They raided Charles LeBlanc’s apartment with no less than 8 police constables, ransacked his home and seized all his computer equipment as “evidence” in the case.

https://christopherdiarmani.com/548...harles-leblanc/

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
My buddy works construction in Cape Breton and has always talked about how affluent Germans were flocking to the region and building fancy new homes. This is somewhat puzzling, because while the area is gorgeous, it's a little difficult to understand why so many German people were moving there.

Turns out that this is probably because they are motivated by a far-right, doomsday cult that has chosen Cape Breton as its new base of operations.

https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/featured/report-german-nazis-are-buying-up-land-in-cape-breton/

quote:

Germany’s largest weekly magazine Der Spiegel is reporting that a right-wing network of prominent Germans, including Eva Herman, a well-known former news presenter on German television, is setting up a colony of far-right radicals and ideologues in Canada, and they’ve been buying land in their chosen location — none other than Cape Breton Island.

The magazine reports that hundreds of Germans have already signed onto the idea.

According to Der Spiegel, they are being lured into the scheme by German “doomsday prophets,” Andreas Popp and Herman herself. Both are notorious peddlers of right-wing populism, and part of a larger network founded by extreme right-winger Frank Eckhardt, who is known as a “Reichsbuerger,” or someone who does not believe in Germany’s post-war democracy or even the legitimacy of the German state as it developed after World War II and the defeat of the Hitler’s Nazis. Der Spiegel reports that Eckhardt sends emails in which he denies the Holocaust.

Documents obtained by the magazine indicate that Germans have attended seminars organized by Popp and Herman in Cape Breton to promote their extreme ideology, and participants are urged to buy up land on the island. During these seminars, Popp and Herman preached that the European social and economic system will collapse. They urged their followers to invest in land in Cape Breton because it is in Canada, which they view as stable and safe from crisis and collapse.

Although it is not clear from the article, it looks as if the right-wing network has purchased large amounts of land in Cape Breton, which they are now offering to their followers at inflated prices. Der Spiegel says it has documents that show Frank Eckhardt has potential buyers in Germany, who are deeply indoctrinated by his right-wing propaganda.

Already by the end of last year, the head office of German intelligence in the city of Wiesbaden was informed of Eckhardt’s political activities and emails by Interpol in Ottawa.

Readers may be able to identify some of the Cape Breton locations in the YouTube video above.

The video attached to the article seems to be a pretty innocent documentation of Cape Breton's rural charm and simple way of life. But if you look at the Youtube account, you'll find a trove of far-right German content with all the obsessions that you'd expect from the European far right.

I find this fascinating because this has been going on for quite a while without much notice from the locals (the Germans bring in a lot of business, so who's going to complain?), but also because the Nazi thought process is quite interesting. Cape Breton is extremely white, rural, and economically depressed, yet also beautiful and friendly. So in a way, it combines the fascist nostalgia and yearning for an imagined 'simpler time' of small villages filled with white people, but at the same time, gives formerly urban European newcomers extraordinary purchasing power (land and homes are extremely affordable) and privilege. Who's going to question folks bringing so much money onto the island, and how much scrutiny could they expect living in a land that capitalism has long since abandoned?

funny song about politics has issued a correction as of 12:06 on Jul 24, 2020

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
With the decline of local journalism there isn't anybody to report on stuff like this happening in small cities anymore. Most local papers have like one staff reporter, if they even still exist.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

america had a crack-smoking mayor decades before toronto, you think some b-list fords are gunna phase us? but pence is a pretty big name so in the interest of proportionality we are willing to take trudeau, he would be perfect for the virginia governorship

america is happy to take the vegetable who only eats meat off your hands, living here he'll be dead in weeks so it's what we call a win-win. as a show of good faith plz assassinate all canadians who are responsible for nickelback, tia

you can have John Baird and we’ll take George and Jeb

for a Baird in the hand is worth two of the bushs

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Noblesse Obliged posted:

you can have John Baird and we’ll take George and Jeb

for a Baird in the hand is worth two of the bushs

^^^Particularly if that's original. I mean, I know it's not exactly an original concept but it's well played.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Arivia posted:

I remember a couple homeless agencies going on record and saying "yep, we helped our clients apply because they need the loving money and gently caress the rest of the poo poo."

good.
re: other cerb stuff - i didn't know there was an expectation already to make people pay back cerb, seems like a really stupid idea but then again, given the current gov its something i can 100% see happening.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the only expectation to pay back the CERB benefit would be if you applied without qualifying to receive it. if you are one of the millions of people that met the qualifications for CERB and received the benefit, the government isn't asking you to repay it.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

infernal machines posted:

the only expectation to pay back the CERB benefit would be if you applied without qualifying to receive it. if you are one of the millions of people that met the qualifications for CERB and received the benefit, the government isn't asking you to repay it.

But you will have to pay taxes on it - surprise!

(And that's going to be 20-30% for most people, though more like 28-37% Quebec and farther east)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Its not a surprise, they told you upfront

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, that one is probably going to catch a lot of people off guard next april. it's not really clear why they stopped taxing the benefit at the source. if you're not going to make it tax free, then just make the standard deduction ahead of time. i guess the premise is people who qualified for it will have lower incomes this year and so would end up paying a lower (or no) marginal rate, but frankly i think it's just going to result in a bunch of people owing in april

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
They’re continuing to send CERB payments to people who have through the bi-weekly form declared themselves no longer eligible due to partial employment.

It’s anybody’s guess how much of that they’ll try to claw back. I know I can’t pay my rent without it, but I also know there’s zero chance I’ll earn enough between now and next April to pay it back.

It’s causing more than a little anxiety, which pairs nicely with the anxiety around being forced back to work with the public in a pandemic.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if it's anything like other government benefits they will eventually want every penny of it back. the good news is they will let you set up a payment plan and after several months of rifling through your finances you will be allowed to make a not entirely usurious monthly payment until the balance is paid off.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've been hearing talks of a 6 month "pilot" UBI in October to replace CERB. I assume its only 6 months because they are praying covid will be done in 6 months and they can get rid of it, rather than have it become a permanent institution like universal healthcare.

if it's anything like other government benefits they will eventually want every penny of it back. the good news is they will let you set up a payment plan and after several months of rifling through your finances you will be allowed to make a not entirely usurious monthly payment until the balance is paid off.

lol they can add it to my student loans that i am already too poor to pay

Rutibex has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Jul 24, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Wow it really was all connected. Very normal stuff right there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

barbara kay: :qq:the national post is no longer a sufficiently safe space for my personal brand of privileged white shittyness:qq:

tw: the post millennial is the new safer space for lovely columnists

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
"Even when there was no blowback to my editorials I worried about something happening, but it didn't."

They really want to be victims, jesus christ

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Dreylad posted:

"Even when there was no blowback to my editorials I worried about something happening, but it didn't."

Reality: No one was reading her editorials.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Dreylad posted:

Terminally liberal guy I know says that every time he speaks he's worried he'll say the wrong thing and get cancelled, fired, and become destitute. Says that's the real censorship, that he cannot think thoughts without doubting himself and fearing public retribution. Dude is a nobody social worker, no one cares what you have to say or post. It's a completely imagined persecution and victimization that they desperately want to bring down upon themselves.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

he needs to log off. probably for most people this feeling will eventually dissipate if they just log the gently caress off

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Virtual Russian posted:

Terminally liberal guy I know says that every time he speaks he's worried he'll say the wrong thing and get cancelled, fired, and become destitute. Says that's the real censorship, that he cannot think thoughts without doubting himself and fearing public retribution. Dude is a nobody social worker, no one cares what you have to say or post. It's a completely imagined persecution and victimization that they desperately want to bring down upon themselves.

It's becoming another moral panic. One we seem to have every couple of decades or so.

Juul-Whip posted:

he needs to log off. probably for most people this feeling will eventually dissipate if they just log the gently caress off

A monk asked Zhao Zhou to teach him.
Zhao Zhou asked, “Have you posted?”
The monk replied, “Yes, I have. But it is now all too common to hear calls for swift and severe retribution in response to perceived transgressions of speech and thought. More troubling still, institutional leaders, in a spirit of panicked damage control, are delivering hasty and disproportionate punishments instead of considered reforms. Editors are fired for running controversial pieces; books are withdrawn for alleged inauthenticity; journalists are barred from writing on certain topics; professors are investigated for quoting works of literature in class; a researcher is fired for circulating a peer-reviewed academic study; and the heads of organizations are ousted for what are sometimes just clumsy mistakes. Whatever the arguments around each particular incident, the result has been to steadily narrow the boundaries of what can be said without the threat of reprisal. We are already paying the price in greater risk aversion among writers, artists, and journalists who fear for their livelihoods if they depart from the consensus, or even lack sufficient zeal in agreement.”
“Then log off,” said Zhao Zhou.
At that moment, the monk was enlightened.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 00:09 on Jul 25, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I think it's also tied to a truly desperate need to find some equivalence between the right and the left, so as to justify doing nothing in the face of rapidly escalating right-wing extremism.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

perhaps, if you can't speak for fear of being criticized for what you say, you should reconsider what you're saying?

just a thought. i'm really having a hard time finding a fault here, because it seems like exactly the intended effect

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dreylad posted:

A monk asked Zhao Zhou to teach him.
Zhao Zhou asked, “Have you posted?”
The monk replied, “Yes, I have. But it is now all too common to hear calls for swift and severe retribution in response to perceived transgressions of speech and thought. More troubling still, institutional leaders, in a spirit of panicked damage control, are delivering hasty and disproportionate punishments instead of considered reforms. Editors are fired for running controversial pieces; books are withdrawn for alleged inauthenticity; journalists are barred from writing on certain topics; professors are investigated for quoting works of literature in class; a researcher is fired for circulating a peer-reviewed academic study; and the heads of organizations are ousted for what are sometimes just clumsy mistakes. Whatever the arguments around each particular incident, the result has been to steadily narrow the boundaries of what can be said without the threat of reprisal. We are already paying the price in greater risk aversion among writers, artists, and journalists who fear for their livelihoods if they depart from the consensus, or even lack sufficient zeal in agreement.”

yeah, this

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I get the sense that some of these 'cancel culture is bad' types want to make their attack-helicopter / racist jokes without being called on it. The freedom to validate their bigotry by "mildly" expressing it is lost.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

considering that one of the loudest voices decrying snowflakes with safe spaces just quit her job because she no longer felt safe to express herself, i'm guessing they lack the introspection necessary to understand the irony

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Dreylad posted:

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

perhaps, if you can't speak for fear of being criticized for what you say, you should reconsider what you're saying?

just a thought. i'm really having a hard time finding a fault here, because it seems like exactly the intended effect

I dont want some kid to go hungry because his dad said something racist online. There should be a better safety met before we start taking away livelihoods