Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yup. To the camera, technically nothing is "recording" and there's no limit in how long you're outputting to HDMI out other than battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Constellation I posted:

Yup. To the camera, technically nothing is "recording" and there's no limit in how long you're outputting to HDMI out other than battery life.

So they'd still require a 'clean' HDMI signal? My 6D Mk2 still leaves some of the interface visible when piped through HDMI to a monitor.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yeah, if your camera doesn't have a clean HDMI out then you're out of luck.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

EF-M is a dead end mount but it technically fills the EF-S role for mirrorless.

It doesn't really. Not unless there's an EF-M to RF adapter available. If you have an APS-C DSLR, and you get some EF glass, you can use that just fine. If Canon maintain EF-M as their APS-C mount and keep RF for FF, then there's no interopability between FF and APS-C glass. It creates a hard border between the FF and crop sensor ecosystems, you can't buy that 70-200 and use it on your 90D mirrorless equivalent, you're stuck with whatever EF-M option there is. If you want to go to an R body from EOS M, there's no legacy buy-in keeping you in the Canon system. If you have to sell everything and start again anyway, there's no value inherent in your existing Canon gear.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Helen Highwater posted:

I wonder what that means for lens mounts?
If Canon keep making APS-C DSLRs, then I guess the EF-S mount continues to be a thing. Do they keep the EF mount around for 1Dx and deep-pocketed APS-C shooters? Or does that get taken behind the shed and all FF glass going forward is RF mount?

Maybe there's going to be an RF-S mount for APS-C mirrorless too and all DSLR lines are going to get phased out over the next 8-10 years in favour of mirrorless bodies. That would make sense if the RF to RF-S relationship is the same as for EF to EF-S, it means there's still an upgrade path for entry-level to prosumer to pro level lines without trading everything in and starting again.

If they make a mirrorless R mount crop body, it seems really foolish to introduce an RF-S lens system for it. People buying it for "extra reach" are basically all using lenses that cover full frame. You run into issues on the wide end, but there are literally dozens of good to great EF lenses that can be used with an adapter.

I don't really see an R mount 7D replacement getting a ton of traction at this point. Just make a R replacement with a decent pixel density and have a crop setting on the camera that gives you more FPS when using a crop. poo poo, you could even have an APS-H setting to give you a nice in-between.

xzzy posted:

Apparently a M50 mk2 is happening this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if the currently available DSLR's is the the last or second to last generation to be released.

EF-M is a dead end mount but it technically fills the EF-S role for mirrorless.

I figured EF-M was dead as well, but the M50 has apparently been a bit seller. With the demise of the Rebel line and the x0d likely immanent, Canon absolutely needs a few models of low-end cameras and I don't anticipate that's going to be the R system anytime soon. The cheapest R, lens at the moment, is $400. I'd be willing to bet the percentage of Rebel owners who have ever paid more than $400 for a lens is < %20.

Edit: There are rumors of new EF-M lenses on the horizon as well:
https://www.canonrumors.com/five-new-ef-m-lenses-for-the-eos-m-lineup-coming-cr1/

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 20, 2020

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

lmao if you buy the M series with the Fool's Mount when you could get an RP for less than a m6mk2+evf

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it would be nice to know what the roadmap looks like. I'd love an APS-C version of the R6 if they don't bring the goodies over to EF. Honestly I'd probably be fine with the R6 and cropping in most cases since I'm not making any prints bigger than 24x36 right now.

It's crazy that the M is still here. I wonder if someone could go through the patents and see what lenses are potentially planned.

I also might jump on a 5D4 if they come down again.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

brand engager posted:

lmao if you buy the M series with the Fool's Mount when you could get an RP for less than a m6mk2+evf

Yea, I wouldn't buy a M6 Mk II at full price when the M50 is $500, but it's worth noting that you can get it in a kit with a lens and the EV-F for $1100. You'd need to buy a $400, decidedly mediocre, RF kit lens or adapt an EF lens to actually start taking photos. Also, other than the sensor size (admittedly not a small feature), the M6 Mk II specs are much higher than the RP.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I was assuming that anyone buying canon mirrorless already has EF lenses to adapt. If you don't have anything tying you to canon you should pick fuji or whoever it was that has the good mirrorless aps-c.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Yeah it would be nice to know what the roadmap looks like. I'd love an APS-C version of the R6 if they don't bring the goodies over to EF. Honestly I'd probably be fine with the R6 and cropping in most cases since I'm not making any prints bigger than 24x36 right now.

It's crazy that the M is still here. I wonder if someone could go through the patents and see what lenses are potentially planned.

I also might jump on a 5D4 if they come down again.

I was disappointed to learn that the $1999 price was just a temporary sale.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If they make a mirrorless R mount crop body, it seems really foolish to introduce an RF-S lens system for it. People buying it for "extra reach" are basically all using lenses that cover full frame. You run into issues on the wide end, but there are literally dozens of good to great EF lenses that can be used with an adapter.

The advantages of dedicated APS-C lenses are that they are cheaper and smaller than FF lenses. Getting rid of APS-C glass means that you are needing to bundle something more expensive with the entry level bodies. Sure the 90D/7D shooters who buy extra lenses are probably buying EF glass, but the vast majority of cameras Canon sell come bundled with a $150 lens.

As I understand it, the RF mount has a lot of advantages for future-proofing the Canon range - bigger diameter, better communication connections. It's hard to imagine that they won't want to leverage that for the down-range stuff as well. Or rather its hard to imagine that they'll want to have three mutually incompatible lens systems (EF-S, EF-M, and RF).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They do have that horrible RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 which does show they will be making amateur grade RF lenses, they just need to make a body in the same category.

A roadmap would be really helpful! Armchair Canon Exec-ing is kind of fun but really ineffective.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

It's funny that the EF/RF 24-105 f4L / II was already terrible with a lot of CA and then they gone ahead and made an even worse RF 24-105 f4-7.1 that's softer and slower :thumbsup:

Also lol that the rumor now is they have stopped developing or currently have no plan for 5d5 when they could've just slapped the R5 sensor and IBIS into the camera and cool it better inside the larger body while being compatible with the extensive EF lens lineup.

:rip: EF mounts

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Encrypted posted:

It's funny that the EF/RF 24-105 f4L / II was already terrible with a lot of CA and then they gone ahead and made an even worse RF 24-105 f4-7.1 that's softer and slower :thumbsup:

Also lol that the rumor now is they have stopped developing or currently have no plan for 5d5 when they could've just slapped the R5 sensor and IBIS into the camera and cool it better inside the larger body while being compatible with the extensive EF lens lineup.

:rip: EF mounts

I'm a bit surprised they didn't want to release one last 5D that they can sell at list price for the next 5 years. I suspect we'll be seeing some mirrored holdouts for quite some time. Hell, Nikon still sells a film SLR.

EF mount cameras may be dead, but I suspect we'll be seeing EF lenses produced for decades since you can adapt them to just about every mirrorless system.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Maybe that's why they want to go with RF lenses and didn't bother update the 85 1.2 II and skipped the DS version on EF mount. Less EF lenses for their competitors to adopt and save the best for their own system.

But lol @ buying into RF right now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am not ignorant that it's a bought and paid for advertisement, but dang the way it tracks that eagle is promising. It really just depends how honest the video is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8Divtkhe4

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

xzzy posted:

I am not ignorant that it's a bought and paid for advertisement, but dang the way it tracks that eagle is promising. It really just depends how honest the video is.
They followed up with a similar video for Sony (which doesn't feature quite such in-the-dark focusing but on the other hand is really 'sticky') so I think it's an entirely honest video with nothing beyond "they loaned us a camera to try".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9NiLdQGoXA

Their videos all seem to get less than a couple of hundred. The Canon one has hit 25K. Gear chat always wins!

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 22, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Here's some R6/R5 sample RAWs with the 800mm f/11 (From Jared Polin.. I know.. but files is files)

https://froknowsphoto.com/r5r6animalaf/

Looks like in "decent" light you'll be ~ISO 1000 with 1/400 so with perched birds using the IS/IBIS you might be alright, the noise levels in the RAW seem pretty good at ISO 1000 with moderate colour NR +12 in Lightroom. BIF at 1/1000+ will be worse ISO wise unless the the light is very good. But I was able to use NR colour +14 on the R5 sample at ISO 4000 but the luminance noise was quite bad and would be noticeable on a sizeable crop on the 20MP R6 image

On the full frame R6 the 800mm is equivalent to a 500mm on APS-C Canon.

Essentially double the ISO for your current shots at f/8 so this Owl shot it would be at ISO 1000 not 500 but looking at the NR settings the sensor does a similar job to my 80D I guess dynamic range might be affected more.

Barn Owl Flight by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Looking at it objectively looks like the R6+800mm is basically similar to an 20MP APS-C with 500mm f/8 (400 f/5.6 with 1.4x giving up 60mm) lens that weighs in total 1800 grams with 12 fps shooting and bird eye autofocus and tracking.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Isn't iso sensitivity a standard? Also I wouldnt expect there to be any noticable noise at 1000 thats not a high iso

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

jarlywarly posted:

Here's some R6/R5 sample RAWs with the 800mm f/11 (From Jared Polin.. I know.. but files is files)

https://froknowsphoto.com/r5r6animalaf/

Looks like in "decent" light you'll be ~ISO 1000 with 1/400 so with perched birds using the IS/IBIS you might be alright, the noise levels in the RAW seem pretty good at ISO 1000 with moderate colour NR +12 in Lightroom. BIF at 1/1000+ will be worse ISO wise unless the the light is very good. But I was able to use NR colour +14 on the R5 sample at ISO 4000 but the luminance noise was quite bad and would be noticeable on a sizeable crop on the 20MP R6 image

On the full frame R6 the 800mm is equivalent to a 500mm on APS-C Canon.

Essentially double the ISO for your current shots at f/8 so this Owl shot it would be at ISO 1000 not 500 but looking at the NR settings the sensor does a similar job to my 80D I guess dynamic range might be affected more.

Meh. I just cannot imagine buying a F/11 lens ever, But especially not when you can spend less money on and get a third party EF 150-600mm F/6.3 or just a bit more and get a nice used copy of the 100-400mm. Light is just way too important with 95% of the things you want to shoot with a 600/800mm focal length. Couldn't they have made a 400mm F/5.6 with a similar weight/size? I'd much rather have 4x the light and have to crop a bit.

Canon Rumors really seems to think in-body IS is coming to the M-series bodies. It'll be neat to see if that tech becomes a standard thing in all but bottom-end bodies.
https://www.canonrumors.com/ibis-is-likely-coming-to-the-eos-m-lineup-cr2/

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Cropping from 400mm to 800mm is also 1/4th the amount of light.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Fools Infinite posted:

Cropping from 400mm to 800mm is also 1/4th the amount of light.

True, but it has the advantage that you're not limited to framing inside of a 800mm field of view.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

True, but it has the advantage that you're not limited to framing inside of a 800mm field of view.
But the whole point is to 800mm of focal length, before cropping.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The tamron/sigma 150-600 zooms also weigh twice as much as the new RF primes

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m going to hold my hands up and go “help me”. My daughter is doing photography A level and of course they use canon when I use Nikon. I got her the bog standard Rebel T7/2000D with kit lens and the 50mm 1.8, because they do have some high end glass for students to use in school, but what are the cheap lenses you would buy a 16 year old to walk about with?

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

learnincurve posted:

I’m going to hold my hands up and go “help me”. My daughter is doing photography A level and of course they use canon when I use Nikon. I got her the bog standard Rebel T7/2000D with kit lens and the 50mm 1.8, because they do have some high end glass for students to use in school, but what are the cheap lenses you would buy a 16 year old to walk about with?

The 50mm 1.8 and the 24mm 2.8 are both really good walk-around lenses, and cost about the same.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The 24mm f2.8 is a good choice. If you want something wider than the kit lens there is the 10-18mm

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Maybe a used 55-250 if she needs something longer, or extension tubes if she might be into macro. But I think what you’ve got is probably good for a start especially if she can borrow from the school.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ahh the 55-250 sounds like a good idea, I'm quite keen on making her hit some sort of limit in a character building "this is how we learn my child" kind of way, so I'll get that one for sure but only when she understands why she needs it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

Ahh the 55-250 sounds like a good idea, I'm quite keen on making her hit some sort of limit in a character building "this is how we learn my child" kind of way, so I'll get that one for sure but only when she understands why she needs it.

There's a cheap as all getout 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 lens for Canon that's out of production now but can be found used for around $100 if you want cheap reach. I used to have one and it's not a terrible lens despite the price.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The 55-250 STM has been handed out in kits like crazy for the better part of a decade so you should be able to track one down for ~$100 used. There are three versions of this lens, the original, the II and the STM. STM has a much improved focus motor and better optics so get that version.

I know you're not looking to outfit a crazy kit for her at this stage, but I'll throw out another couple lenses to keep in mind.

Sigma made a crop mount 30mm F/1.4 a few years ago that can be found fairly cheap. It's not the sharpest lens in the world
https://www.keh.com/shop/sigma-30mm-f1-4-ex-dc-hsm-wide-angle-lens-701254.html, but it's nice to have an F/1.4 lens as an option.

There are a few lenses that cover the same range at the kit, but at F/2.8 aperture. They've gotten pretty cheap over the years and can sometimes be found under $200 for the Sigma and Tamron and under $300 for the Canon.
https://www.keh.com/shop/tamron-17-50mm-f-2-8-aspherical-di-ii-sp-if-ld-xr-ef-mount-lens-for-canon-aps-c-sensor-dslrs-67.html
https://www.keh.com/shop/sigma-583101-17-mm-50-mm-f-2-8-lens.html
https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-ef-s-17-55-f-2-8-is-usm-standard-zoom-lens.html

I think the Sigma is probably the sharpest of the bunch, and also has a quiet focusing motor.

Edit: There's also the Canon 10-18mm which is nice ultra-wide for < $200.
https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-10-mm-18-mm-f-4-5-5-6-ultra-wide-angle-lens-for-canon-ef-s.html

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 25, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
55-250 (all versions) has IS too, which is a big plus.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

F8 would be fine for most outdoor/well lit things.
Slow lenses were a pain with optical view finders. But modern sensor with high iso basically have night visions where you can still see things even with less light coming from the lens.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think we got our list, thanks everyone this has been such a massive help: the Sigma 30mm 1.4, the 55-250 STM, and the 10-18mm alongside the 18-55mm kit and the 50mm 1.8 she’s already getting

What I want to avoid doing is doubling up on what I already have (primes and the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 on a D300, great minds and all that, unfortunately she’s 5ft in her socks and it became obvious very quickly that The Big Camera with anything bigger than the 35mm 1.8 was far too big for her hands which is the main reason I went entry level on the canon) but also I did make a 16 year old stand there in the middle of the living room and hand on heart promise not to baby this gear so there is that “don’t fly what you can’t afford to lose” factor.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 25, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dpreview image samples for the R5/R6 are up so you can pixel peep the ISO performance.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7182873832/canon-eos-r5-added-to-studio-test-scene

To my eye the R6/1DXmk3/5Dmk4 all look identical but the R5 is slightly worse. But the R5 has so many more pixels by the time you scale down for export the noise will be lost.. so it's probably a wash.

Who shoots over ISO 3200 anyways unless something has gone horribly wrong? :v:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

dpreview image samples for the R5/R6 are up so you can pixel peep the ISO performance.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7182873832/canon-eos-r5-added-to-studio-test-scene

To my eye the R6/1DXmk3/5Dmk4 all look identical but the R5 is slightly worse. But the R5 has so many more pixels by the time you scale down for export the noise will be lost.. so it's probably a wash.

Who shoots over ISO 3200 anyways unless something has gone horribly wrong? :v:
With fixed f/11 lenses you might see more high iso shots than normal.

The new lenses are fixed right? Nothing wider but also nothing narrower than f/11?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, the super tele primes are fixed aperture. They're super niche and I can't imagine them becoming common equipment.

Cool idea though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

Yeah, the super tele primes are fixed aperture. They're super niche and I can't imagine them becoming common equipment.

Cool idea though.
They're long reach and cheap. I can see them being good for *cheap* cheap birding. When you want reach but can't spend a ton on it. Most people will look at them and live with the limitation.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

ilkhan posted:

They're long reach and cheap. I can see them being good for *cheap* cheap birding. When you want reach but can't spend a ton on it. Most people will look at them and live with the limitation.

For perched birds in good light the R6 and 800 f/11 seems viable it's light to hand hold and you get eye AF. Real world reviews will be interesting. Whether it's better over all than m43 or a crop DSLR with a 150-600 probably not but that eye AF is very tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

jarlywarly posted:

For perched birds in good light the R6 and 800 f/11 seems viable it's light to hand hold and you get eye AF. Real world reviews will be interesting. Whether it's better over all than m43 or a crop DSLR with a 150-600 probably not but that eye AF is very tempting.
Eye AF and it's super light compared to any of the 150-600 options. F/11 is limiting, but not like was in the early dSLR days. High ISO performance is just too good now. Agreed that real world reviews will be interesting.