Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shipon posted:

Christ I didn't even necessarily disagree with how he talked about the issue on the cancel culture episode of Chapo two weeks ago but he's just gone batty at this point.

I started listening to that episode and quickly stopped once I realized what it was probably leading to and how awkward it would probably be.

My prediction (that I'm expecting probably came true in some capacity) is that Will wouldn't be able to make himself directly push back against dumb cancel culture whining from Taibbi while Amber would eat that poo poo up because she has a bad tendency to knee-jerk take the wrong opinions in situations where those opinions can be cast as "owning the PMC wokes" (she's usually good, but it's clear that she has some level of tunnel vision from being an academic in NYC who is constantly exposed to the worst elements of PMC liberalism).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Chapos are pissed the people keep dunking on Matt

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1286375558880940032?s=19

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

the gwen snyder cop has a patreon asking for 500 dollars to set up "a wiki" of "right wing symbolism" and 800 dollars to help her "fund the time and equipment" to do a podcast. shes already at 620 dollars per month lol. in absolute awe of this tbh, i cannot fault it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

laughing so hard at the idea of anyone thinking that Toto's Africa was some sort of "african nationalist anthem"

like how is that even possible

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1286353680262979584?s=19

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

love to have disagreements with like-minded people

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1286376012196929537?s=19

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1286385988877647874?s=19

:thunk: :thunk:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

MizPiz posted:

lol Felix hates drama so much

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

MizPiz posted:

He's right, but he's also proven the trolls right by reacting and is therfore now wrong. Too bad.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I started listening to that episode and quickly stopped once I realized what it was probably leading to and how awkward it would probably be.

My prediction (that I'm expecting probably came true in some capacity) is that Will wouldn't be able to make himself directly push back against dumb cancel culture whining from Taibbi while Amber would eat that poo poo up because she has a bad tendency to knee-jerk take the wrong opinions in situations where those opinions can be cast as "owning the PMC wokes" (she's usually good, but it's clear that she has some level of tunnel vision from being an academic in NYC who is constantly exposed to the worst elements of PMC liberalism).

Yeah that was pretty much it

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

crepeface posted:

lol Felix hates drama so much

he absolutely loves drama but he also hates it when people drag the same joke into the mud

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
For a guy who makes big stink about 2000s era internet Felix sure ain't good at it.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Zedhe Khoja posted:

if we're plugging substacks, derek davison's foreign exchanges is pretty decent and covers weirdo fringe topics
more people should read/listen

Oh agreed.

His most recent eps about fringe/minority Middle Eastern religious groups has been fascinating.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

be a shame if they gave each other COVID

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

For a guy who makes big stink about 2000s era internet Felix sure ain't good at it.

Also he's terribly, terribly wrong about the cultural forces at play at the time and would get eaten alive on the BidenWorld that he so cherishes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kunster posted:

Also he's terribly, terribly wrong about the cultural forces at play at the time and would get eaten alive on the BidenWorld that he so cherishes.

What does Felix say about 2000s era internet?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Homeless Friend posted:

well this is the same person who makes a big stink about metal gear solid and cant beat the first boss

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Shipon posted:

he absolutely loves drama but he also hates it when people drag the same joke into the mud

he enjoys it only as a distant observer of foreign cultures like uncle-nephew electronic dance music duos, not when it involves his circles

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

in other Felix culture news
https://twitter.com/BarstoolNewsN/status/1286474105366237184?s=20

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

why does Trump look like hes taking a huge dump?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Trump has an rear end that puts Nicki Minaj to shame

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MizPiz posted:

Trump has an rear end that puts Nicki Minaj to shame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zevxOD9TaY

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Picking the worst chairs to use for an interview with the president is great energy and I'd love to see it from an org that doesn't union bust

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What even is cancel culture supposed to be? Like whatever it is I'm sure it's not what these dummies think but like... Basically when someone comes out as a racist or a transphobe we just call them an rear end in a top hat and stop buying their work.

I'd just assume Taibbi is off the deep end, but Michael Brooks's sister mentioned on the memorial episode that he hated cancel culture too. Are there any legit examples of canceling overreach?

I read some of Nathan J Robinson's responses to Taibbi and when he spells everything out it seems like very reasonable responses all around.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/JoseHdzMX/status/1286434781702631429?s=20

during this period of pandemic, economic collapse, and heavy state repression, I think the focus on "cancel culture" has to be considered a reaction to a new mass movement emerging. it captures media attention and the focus of the intelligensia, when the real struggle is happening on the street

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

it was pretty hosed up how Taibbi canceled elected officials like Obama and Dick Cheney, I think the loss of their input into the discourse is a real tragedy and anybody seeking to exclude them is just being an absurd totalitarian

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hellblazer187 posted:

What even is cancel culture supposed to be?

https://twitter.com/wectnews/status/1277643423131095040

https://twitter.com/JonEvansWECT/status/1286435949312970755

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Kunster posted:

what

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

everything you need to know about the cancel saga is that it stopped dead in its tracks when the blue checks weren't allowed to post for a couple hours

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

[Matt Christman voice]: owned

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cancel Culture is a ChiCom plot
https://twitter.com/TomCottonAR/status/1286095979624751107?s=20

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Hellblazer187 posted:

What even is cancel culture supposed to be? Like whatever it is I'm sure it's not what these dummies think but like... Basically when someone comes out as a racist or a transphobe we just call them an rear end in a top hat and stop buying their work.

I'd just assume Taibbi is off the deep end, but Michael Brooks's sister mentioned on the memorial episode that he hated cancel culture too. Are there any legit examples of canceling overreach?

I read some of Nathan J Robinson's responses to Taibbi and when he spells everything out it seems like very reasonable responses all around.

I'm pretty sure what Michael Brooks specifically was worried about is how cancel culture causes divides among the working class, which is counterproductive and should be slapped down immediately. The problem with this is that I've never seen a compelling explanation of what "canceling" actually is. People whine endlessly about cancel culture, but I've never seen a single loving person face any consequences at all for anything but severe fuckups.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

like with many faux outrages by centrists, libs and the right, cancel culture can be many different things, depending on the situation. here's some i've been able to list:

1. getting someone fired for saying some controversial opinion/something you don't like
2. deplatforming someone
3. not firing someone but having them resign because they don't feel comfortable working in a place where everybody hates them
4. making fun of someone on twitter
5. airing out complaints of serious misconduct in public (i.e. what happened with #metoo in many cases)
6. writing a negative article or recording a negative video about someone, preferably from a major media outlet
7. not being able to provide any opinion that a person wants at any given time, and thus having to 'self-censor'

i'm sure i'm probably missing another half a dozen other examples, AT LEAST, but this is a good rundown.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

I'm pretty sure what Michael Brooks specifically was worried about is how cancel culture causes divides among the working class, which is counterproductive and should be slapped down immediately.

This makes more sense, thank you.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

THS posted:

well this is the same person who makes a big stink about metal gear solid and cant beat the first boss

i deliberately block out this cringe aspect of him and skip segments where he gets into it so its completely deleted from my mind, self care baby

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it’s also completely up to the interpretation of each individual, because the concept of “someone else holds views i find so detestable that i think they should be dismissed outright by everyone” is a universal experience that applies to every human throughout time

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the history of all hitherto existing human society is the history of cancel culture

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

this is extremely good and puts into clear words the kind of arguments i've been making with my lib friends about cancel culture. anyone know what the bruenigs podcast is like? i like their posts but i can't imagine a married couple's podcast would be riveting listening for me

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

no one who doesn’t live on Twitter gives a gently caress about cancel culture. it’s something that only lives on the hell platform and never intrudes into actual real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I haven't listened in a while but its mostly just them riffing about stuff, if you like both their writing you'd probably enjoy it. The episode on Undercover Boss is fantastic and is probably worth starting on