Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
To the theme experts out there, did Vampiro ever have a different version of this theme?

https://youtu.be/cIrA3boAtbk

I remember downloading a live version of it back in 2000 that was very similar but not as polished. It floundered a lot more before hitting the main riff.

E: I guess I'll ask it now as well, how big a star was Vampiro in Mexico and why wasn't he as good in America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Hogan ‘84 belt had a nameplate, and it and the ‘83-‘84 belt had the previous holders listed on the side plates. The 85 belt also had a nameplate (and a better engraving of the logo on the top).

Hogan got like ten versions of the title belt. One had his picture on it. It was ridiculous.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Yeah that period seemed like they couldn't find something they liked the look of on TV or wasn't instantly recognizable. Winged Eagle obviously was.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yep, prior to the Winged Eagle (and for Hogan having like ten different title belts through his reign, the one they settled on happened to debut the night they pulled the Andre/DiBiase angle on SNME; funny how that worked out), probably the most famous version of the belt was the Sammartino belt:

Which itself was quite cool, the medallions on the sides had the info: his name on the medallion on the right, who he beat for it and when on the left one. Also the height made for a nice counterweight to the fact that Bruno was built like a gorilla (and probably hit as hard), just one wide, thick son of a bitch.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is Rey Horus related to Rey Mysterio (jr)?

And is this correct... There's Rey Misterio Sr, followed by Rey Misterio Jr (his nephew). El Hijo de Rey Misterio is the son of the original Rey Misterio and Rey Horus is El Hijo de Rey Misterio II.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Is Rey Horus related to Rey Mysterio (jr)?

And is this correct... There's Rey Misterio Sr, followed by Rey Misterio Jr (his nephew). El Hijo de Rey Misterio is the son of the original Rey Misterio and Rey Horus is El Hijo de Rey Misterio II.

Rey Horus has said he is Rey Misterio Jr's cousin & Rey Misterio Sr's nephew. And yes, the original El Hijo was the legit son of Rey Sr & El Hijo II is Rey Horus.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

septiembre negro

luchador whose gimmick was based on the terrorist group that executed the munich massacre
Was he over, though?

Another one I thought of was the Truth Commission, but I don't think anyone cared very much about them.

Davros1 posted:

Sheik was Col Mustafa, Sheik Adnan Al-Kasee became Gen Adnan. Also, Al-Kasee was a former WWF Tag Team Champ ... as the Native American wrestler Billy White Wolf.
I don't suppose that was an inside joke about Billy Wolfe, a la Goldust and the Gold Dust Trio?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 24, 2020

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Halloween Jack posted:

Was he over, though?

Another one I thought of was the Truth Commission, but I don't think anyone cared very much about them.

he tagged with dr wagner sr, so yes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

septiembre negro

luchador whose gimmick was based on the terrorist group that executed the munich massacre

Los Talibanes formed right after 9-11.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

karmicknight posted:

I think the assumption was that they would get their way and Alex Shelley's soul would belong to them.

This makes me smile because it makes me picture Trips as Shang Tsung, which if he was like 5 years younger is something he totally would've done as a Mania entrance.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

This makes me smile because it makes me picture Trips as Shang Tsung, which if he was like 5 years younger is something he totally would've done as a Mania entrance.

I always thought HHH dressing up as Shao Khan was purely coincidence and not a Mortal Kombat thing. I just assumed he either saw an out of context image of Shao Khan or a Frank Frazetta style illustration of some buff dude with a skull helmet and thought I should dress up like that. The idea of HHH being really into MK 2 and 3 is really ridiculous to me.
As for the Shang Tsung stuff, HHH totally would have done Asian face if he had the chance. Just imagine how racist HHH would have been if he had to build to a PPV against a Japanese wrestler during his reign of terror. The first 15 minutes of Raw for that month would have been nothing but HHH making "flied lice" style jokes and going "ah so" while banging a gong.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How quickly we forget dr hung lo

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I know it's not a universal truth or anything, but run time seems to be something of a bar to really getting highly rated as a match. I know Meltzer is what a lot of people go by, but what are some examples of really good matches relative to their length? Are there any 5+ star sprints?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

FakePoet posted:

I know it's not a universal truth or anything, but run time seems to be something of a bar to really getting highly rated as a match. I know Meltzer is what a lot of people go by, but what are some examples of really good matches relative to their length? Are there any 5+ star sprints?

eddie vs rey from halloween havoc is the first thing that comes to mind. i dont think dave gave it 5 but it's one that many people did

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FakePoet posted:

While he didn't rate it 5 stars, WWF fans grew up swearing Savage vs Steamboat was the best match of all time and it's under 15 minutes. Rey vs Eddy from Havoc 97 was under 14 minutes. There's a bunch of G1 matches that are all in the 5 star range and only ~15 minutes.

The shortest actual five star match might be the Kobayashi vs Tiger Mask II match that's like 12 minutes?

I think there's a 5 star trios match from AAA during it's hot period that was under 15 too and if anything would qualify as a sprint, peak Rey Mysterio Jr and Psicosis would!

In terms of just a really short, great match, Jack Evans vs Abyss from ROH in the fall of 2005 is maybe 5 minutes long and it's great.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 26, 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was sure Eddie/Rey from Havoc was sub-10? It's as close to a perfectly executed match as you'll see, like both guys perfectly on point, just hitting everything basically flawlessly.

And if you want to go by Meltzer: Ishii/Shibata from the 2013 G1 got the full 5, runs like 9 mins, and is basically the start of Ishii being Mr G1.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Ishii/Shibata's legendary G1 2013 match was incredibly short and is a contender for match of the decade

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it didnt get 5 stars but the main event from All In is drat good

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i remember it being like 4:40am when ishii/shibata finished and there was a goon rush to the MOTYC thread to immediately nominate it before NJPW got big in the US

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I was sure Eddie/Rey from Havoc was sub-10? It's as close to a perfectly executed match as you'll see, like both guys perfectly on point, just hitting everything basically flawlessly.

13:51 according to wikipedia

it feels much shorter to watch though because it's so fast and so exciting

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

13:51 according to wikipedia

it feels much shorter to watch though because it's so fast and so exciting

One of the instances of me disagreeing with Dave not giving ***** to a match. It is two great performers hitting everything in a perfect rhythm. No mistakes. No flaws.

Another notable one is Danielson vs Morishima Fight Without Honor.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
reminder that one man's subjective rating of a match is literally only one man's subjective rating of a match and caring much about those ratings is extremely pointless and dumb

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
In the scope of what I guess you could call The Big Three of WCW Modern wrestling influencers - Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit and Rey Mysterio - could it be argued for, even though he is an unambiguous Hall of Famer, that Ultimo Dragon doesn't quite get his due? He's never mentioned as a comparison point to any modern wrestlers in that "he reminds me of Ultimo" but his fingerprints are all over modern wrestling, his proteges are Hall of Famers in their own right (most notably Okada and CIMA), and his style was different enough from The Big Three by combinging lucha with japanese style but he just seems to not get brought up as often or as commonly.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lid posted:

In the scope of what I guess you could call The Big Three of WCW Modern wrestling influencers - Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit and Rey Mysterio - could it be argued for, even though he is an unambiguous Hall of Famer, that Ultimo Dragon doesn't quite get his due? He's never mentioned as a comparison point to any modern wrestlers in that "he reminds me of Ultimo" but his fingerprints are all over modern wrestling, his proteges are Hall of Famers in their own right (most notably Okada and CIMA), and his style was different enough from The Big Three by combinging lucha with japanese style but he just seems to not get brought up as often or as commonly.

Dragon System heads are more likely to bring him up than WCW enthusiasts, since he didn't have the big Fed run that the other three had, but looking at the legacy of Toryumon it's hard to deny that he's up there.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think that's mostly because unlike the other three he didn't have much of a tenure in America. Most of the dialogue on wrestling legacy is still extremely western, and Ultimo only really had 1 1/2-2 years of being really active in WCW and most people don't even remember his WWE run, nor should they. His impact on the industry is absolutely massive, but most of that impact happened in Japan and it's only fairly recently with the WWE's fall from grace that the western wrestling market has started paying attention to Japan outside of hyper-enthusiasts.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lid posted:

um

how dare you

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

FakePoet posted:

Regal vs. Flair Marquis of Queensbury five match series. They are some of the best 5 minute matches you will ever see.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

While he didn't rate it 5 stars, WWF fans grew up swearing Savage vs Steamboat was the best match of all time and it's under 15 minutes.

Why didn't Meltzer give Steamboat/Savage 5 stars?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Red posted:

Why didn't Meltzer give Steamboat/Savage 5 stars?

because it wasn't a 5 star match

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's just his opinion

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wrestling was so poor in the Fed at the time it really stood out, though

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Randaconda posted:

wrestling was so poor in the Fed at the time it really stood out, though
this is 100% of why people think it’s a ***** match imo

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

yeah, i saw it when it was still current, and even at that young age, I was like "...nwa is better"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Looking at profightdb apparently William Regal had a match at Starrcade in 93 with Steamboat and it was no good???

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

Looking at profightdb apparently William Regal had a match at Starrcade in 93 with Steamboat and it was no good???

Ricky was just about done at that time, his back was shot, so I don't doubt it

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

jesus WEP posted:

So many people at the time thought of it as amazing, I'd assumed Meltzer would as well.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

So many people at the time thought of it as amazing, I'd assumed Meltzer would as well.

Dave was watching poo poo from Japan, so he had higher standards, probably

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Randaconda posted:

Dave was watching poo poo from Japan, so he had higher standards, probably

i mean there was better wrestling happening right here in the states at the same time

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I'm guessing the George The Animal Steele involvement, and the roll up finish is why Dave didn't go 5.

From what I could find he rated WarGames and two Flair/Windham matches above it that year and all I know is that I'd rather watch any of those instead of Savage vs Steamboat again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JOHN CENA posted:

i mean there was better wrestling happening right here in the states at the same time

true facts

Midnight Express or Flair was probably putting on matches just as good every night (Twice on Sundays)