Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Has ishiura put on weight? He looks bigger than I remember.
ishiura: unlucky he seemed to get caught in the air there

Enho: Yeah that's on him, he didn't react at all at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

bartolimu posted:

I went back and watched the match again. His left fist never touches down - it's most clear on the after-match reverse angle. The slow motion makes it more obvious how slow his reaction was as well - Hokotofuji was fully upright and past the line before Enho even moved. That said, single-fist touches are frequently ignored by gyojis (except when they're not). Enho's been acting like he can't get his head in the game the last few days - he looks visibly frustrated after this one in particular - and I think this was a case of beating himself. But it's one of those bouts that could have been called back.

I'm just glad he didn't pull a Hakuho and refuse to get back on the dohyo until a retroactive matta was called.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I know i'm way behind on this train, but Kotoshoho is one to watch, holy cow.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah he's fighting like hell, and he's 20 years old. Sadagatake (all the Kotos) is producing some great young talent to replace their old stalwarts.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Spokes posted:

I know i'm way behind on this train, but Kotoshoho is one to watch, holy cow.

He has slotted into Makuuchi very nicely.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Well, I’m starting to feel like I cursed my guys by putting them on my team.

That Enho loss felt really weird in the moment and I half expected a matta.

Mitakeumi looks like a beast this tournament. I’m excited to see if he can keep it up and make a run at the yusbo and maybe ozeki. He’s been blasting dudes on the tachiai.

Ishiura failing the henka has me considering a trade and I’m generally pro-henka.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This loving gyoji

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Huh, just realized that the current Kotonowaka is the son of the former Kotonowaka, who is the current Sadogatake-Oyakata (stablemaster of the Koto crew).

What are other Heyas get to have this many high rankers to practice amongst themselves? Kokonoe comes to mind, even though 4 of their 6 salaried guys are in Juryo, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

edit: Looks like Kise also have 2 Makuuchi and 4 Juryo guys, hmm. Oh yeah and Oitekaze have 2 Makuuchi and 5 Juryo guys.

Brut fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 24, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Brut posted:

Huh, just realized that the current Kotonowaka is the son of the former Kotonowaka, who is the current Sadogatake-Oyakata (stablemaster of the Koto crew).

What are other Heyas get to have this many high rankers to practice amongst themselves? Kokonoe comes to mind, even though 4 of their 6 salaried guys are in Juryo, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

edit: Looks like Kise also have 2 Makuuchi and 4 Juryo guys, hmm. Oh yeah and Oitekaze have 2 Makuuchi and 5 Juryo guys.

Having so many high-ranked guys is really beneficial since they cannot face each other during the basho. It was one advantage Takanohana had during his time as Yokozuna, because he had less high-ranked guys to face compared to Akebono since several of them were stablemates.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

There's a spectator on day 2 who absolutely loves hakuho. At the start the match he has both hands in he air and celebrates when hakuho wins. He's so excited. Makes me miss being at live sports.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

anakha posted:

Having so many high-ranked guys is really beneficial since they cannot face each other during the basho. It was one advantage Takanohana had during his time as Yokozuna, because he had less high-ranked guys to face compared to Akebono since several of them were stablemates.

Yeah, but now that degeiko isn't allowed I think it's even more important, folks like Ichinojo have nobody to train with.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

Yeah, but now that degeiko isn't allowed I think it's even more important, folks like Ichinojo have nobody to train with.

Speaking of Ichinojo it's good to see him on 4-2. After stopping his slide in the last basho it would be good to see him back in the Maegashira ranks.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Happy birthday Meisei (Hoshoryu in the background)

https://twitter.com/tatsunamibeya/status/1286619885070462976

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I still find it super jarring to see sumotori living normal lives in the real world. It's like seeing late show hosts in t-shirts

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is from Day 5 since I'm a day behind on my matches but this was a great moment where Tochinosin just sorta side eyes the throw that was worth clipping.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

anakha posted:

This is probably a huge advantage now with training restrictions, but I think with all of team Koto near the bottom of the division, it hurts more than it helps when it comes to matchmaking. If all the bottom guys from like M10-17 are usually expected to fight each other, the Kotos have to skip 4 guys and fight up to M8. Probably not a huge difference, but it’s the opposite of Takanohana and friends getting to fight M4 or 5 instead of instead of another Yokozuna, an Ozeki and some other guys floating around K/S.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

What the everloving gently caress, Endo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What are the actual rules on when sumotori can wear ordinary clothing and when they have to wear traditional clothing?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

What are the actual rules on when sumotori can wear ordinary clothing and when they have to wear traditional clothing?

They can wear regular clothes at the heya and at home, which for most of them are the same place. These rules get violated from time to time though, especially by the more veteran wrestlers who aren't too worried about being scolded towards the end of their careers, there's reasonably frequent sightings of wrestlers at bars/restaurants in regular street clothes if they're just hanging out alone somewhere people won't really expect them to be, the rules also don't seem to apply to wrestlers spending time outside of Japan, whether it's foreigners visiting their home country or just anyone on vacation.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brut posted:

He's also the grandson of former yokozuna Kotozakura. I think its generally understood that'll he'll get grandad's name if he makes ozeki.

Also Isegahama were doing well with a bunch of high rankers until Hamfu had to retire, Amanishiki got old and Teru got injured. Takarafuji is their senior dude now.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://tachiai.org/2020/07/25/abi-kyujo/

at first i thought he had covid but fortunately it's just for breaking quarantine procedures

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I’m very pleased that Terunofuji is doing well. I really loved his sumo when he was 100%, his injury and downward spiral really loving sucked. He’s more likely than most to get injured again but I hope he can keep it up and get back into sanyaku. He was really on an eventual yokozuna level track. His body has enough mass, his technique is great, he just got hit with a lovely injury and the current rules re: injury are hosed up.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

He's also the grandson of former yokozuna Kotozakura. I think its generally understood that'll he'll get grandad's name if he makes ozeki.

Also Isegahama were doing well with a bunch of high rankers until Hamfu had to retire, Amanishiki got old and Teru got injured. Takarafuji is their senior dude now.

Ah that's interesting, I don't really know my Yokozunas going that far back, wonder if he'll end up making Ozeki one day. So far (Up to day 6, haven't watched day 7 yet) Kotoshoho seems like a stronger candidate than Kotonowaka but who knows how they'll develop over the years.

https://twitter.com/AsahiYamabeya/status/1287004322106978304

Brut fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 25, 2020

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

Enho winning a match from within his opponent's navel is classic Enho.
Abi losing his match because he was forced into kyujo for rushing out prematurely for a drink with friends is classic Abi.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Ohhhhhhh poo poo, of course there's a sumo thread on SA. I'm probably going to lurk a bunch until Enho pulls some crazy rear end throw, but I am so. goddamn. happy there's a place here for sumochat - almost as happy that sumo's finally back.

My roommate and I were lucky enough to attend the January basho, just as the coronavirus stuff was really popping off (the Diamond Princess was still docked in Yokohama at that point). It was an incredible tourney to watch live; we had amazing seats, and it only served to hook me more... right as everything went extremely weird for that near-silent audience-free basho and then the interminable delay.

But hey, it's back, you guys are here, and I can spaz out about it with you. Saturday turned out to be awesome.

[edit]
Also, SumoNatto (or, uh, NattoSumo) used the delay and shutdown to good effect, his graphics have gotten really fancy.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 25, 2020

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
It really feels like Enho is just reinventing Small Man Sumo every time he steps onto the dohyo

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Spokes posted:

It really feels like Enho is just reinventing Small Man Sumo every time he steps onto the dohyo

All his bouts are bouts of the day for me. He's definitely struggling more this time around (at least this first week), but it's hilarious watching someone fight him for the first time. They just have no idea what's happening.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Trading Abi in for Hokotofuji.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The only thing better than sumochat is people discovering sumochat exists.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Trading Abi in for Hokotofuji.

Oh yeah, I should drop everyone's favorite party animal too.

Trading Abi for Kiribayama, because that way he's loving guaranteed to lose to Enho tomorrow.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ll drop Abi for Aoiyama for some big titty energy

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

When I saw the note about Abi getting pulled for going out and partying on Natto's video I had to pause it because I was laughing so hard. Just an incredible way to withdraw

Hakuho just launching Kiribayama off of the dohyo was something else. Seemed especially brutal to me.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

whats for dinner posted:

When I saw the note about Abi getting pulled for going out and partying on Natto's video I had to pause it because I was laughing so hard. Just an incredible way to withdraw
The NHK commentator called what Abi did "horrible," which is great. I love Abi, and/but this comes as no real surprise.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

whats for dinner posted:

Hakuho just launching Kiribayama off of the dohyo was something else. Seemed especially brutal to me.

Kid's first fight against a Yokozuna. Gotta set expectations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The google translate for the nikkansports headline on Abi is loving amzing

Mr. Asen is closed for a meal "Mastery self-owned. The worst thing" Master

I nominate Abi is hereafter referred to as Master Self-Owned

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

That Enho win was wild. I counted at least four times where he should have just been thrown like a ragdoll but somehow he drops his hips and bounces around to just stay. My wife said he has “sticky feet” and it feel really fitting.

Abi dropping a whole tournament for a drink is just perfect.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Charles Gnarwin posted:

That Enho win was wild. I counted at least four times where he should have just been thrown like a ragdoll but somehow he drops his hips and bounces around to just stay. My wife said he has “sticky feet” and it feel really fitting.

Abi dropping a whole tournament for a drink is just perfect.

Was it the full tourney, or does he just sit out one day? The NHK World highlights made it sound like it was just a single day. I totally agree, though, going for dinner/drinks during a loving pandemic and mid-tournament is the most Abi thing ever.

Also, re: Enho, I'm just gonna quote myself here:

SamBishop posted:

it's hilarious watching someone fight him for the first time. They just have no idea what's happening.

He's consistently one of the most thrilling people to watch. Little dude's a fuckin' human highlight reel.

[edit]

Martytoof posted:

I’ll drop Abi for Aoiyama for some big titty energy

When we went in January, there was a dude just screaming "Danieru! DANIERUUUU!" while Aoiyama was fighting. A little while later, I looked back and it was like the only other white dude in our entire area, trying desperately to corral his kids with his Japanese wife.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 26, 2020

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

bartolimu posted:

Kid's first fight against a Yokozuna. Gotta set expectations.

good point, well made :D

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Who was it that does english commentary on twitch? Finally have a chance to be up to watch it live.

edit mbovo has flipped to english

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1287141170934501377