Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Trimp
This poll is closed.
Mr Brexit +++ 684 0.84%
a picture is worth a thousand words 1008 1.24%
keyboard goop 79662 97.92%
Total: 240 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

who’s Q-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
guy who insists that ftl is impossible meanwhile our feeble human brains cant even parse throwing small rocks at two slits on a board

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

a.lo posted:

who’s Q-

he from old zealand

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i know FTL is possible, because I've read The Rediscovery of Man. I also know that it's unreachable to us because we have not yet engineered the correct kind of psychic cats to protect us from the unknowable terrors of space without a consistent form

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

i know FTL is possible, because I've read The Rediscovery of Man. I also know that it's unreachable to us because we have not yet engineered the correct kind of psychic cats to protect us from the unknowable terrors of space without a consistent form

I love your new avatar ehf

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the fastest, from the relativistic perspective of an object accelerating toward the speed of light

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

a.lo posted:

who’s Q-

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Epic High Five posted:

never read this but it looks badass thanks

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I like this guy's take re: all the UFO videos and how they're all artifacts of the thermal cameras/weird parallax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jcBGLIpus

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

karen bass is the least worst option among people Biden might conceivably pick. I guess Duckworth would be fine too. obviously we all want him to amend the constitution, pick Ilhan Omar, and then die, but barring us actually getting anything good the best option is a milquetoast lib who’s not actually a loving literal cop like Harris or Demings

I was worried it was gonna be Harris. Like, couldn't the dems pick someone that isn't a slaver?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

reignofevil posted:

We're watching HBO rome I'm sorry but this is non negotiable now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQKJOXdXJw

Kevin McKidd is a really good actor with a wide range, and it's always weird for me to see him in non Lucius Vorenus parts.

HBO Rome kicks rear end.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Smythe posted:

it's incredible, you'll never read another book quite like it I cannot recommend it highly enough

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

it's incredible, you'll never read another book quite like it I cannot recommend it highly enough

I'm gonna check it out too

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

it will make you viscerally angry that generations of crazy sci-fi writers could've gone in this direction and actively chose not to

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Epic High Five posted:

THANK YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

read this version: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18948.The_Rediscovery_of_Man

it's the "complete" one but it's a whole bunch of short stories so that 671 pages isn't the investment it seems

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i finally read The Forever War, which has a cool premise based on FTL travel where soldiers go off to fight a war and come back having aged a couple months while hundreds of years of earth history have passed, but hoo boy is everything else about that book a poorly written mess

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i have to Scrub my BATHROOM TIles... because BUMBLE WIFE PROSPECT Is LOOKING UP! BBL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1286514535759851520

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

i finally read The Forever War, which has a cool premise based on FTL travel where soldiers go off to fight a war and come back having aged a couple months while hundreds of years of earth history have passed, but hoo boy is everything else about that book a poorly written mess

strong disagree, it actually rules

edit - also it was all a big metaphor for his being all hosed up by the Vietnam war, hence the actual emphasis being on culture shock

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

forever salty about HBO for cancelling Rome

I understand why they did it but you can't stop me from feeling salty about it

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Smythe posted:

cordwainer smith is extremely good, overall

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.fadedpage.com/csearch.php?author=Linebarger,%20Paul%20Myron%20Anthony

here is a canadian web site where you can read some cordwainer smith

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Joementum posted:

What,.you don't like to have 99% of the population forced to turn gay and eventually merge into an androgynous hive mind??

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

a.lo posted:

who’s Q-
turn off your monitor

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Good soup! posted:

forever salty about HBO for cancelling Rome

I understand why they did it but you can't stop me from feeling salty about it

it needed one more season. the 2nd season felt too rushed

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Squizzle posted:

https://www.fadedpage.com/csearch.php?author=Linebarger,%20Paul%20Myron%20Anthony

here is a canadian web site where you can read some cordwainer smith

updated my journal

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have been farting so much tonight, i had to walk downstairs for a while at one point

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

another book I would recommend to literally anybody, and in fact buy used copies of to give out, is "Bridge of Birds"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

updated my journal

it's good but I recommend the book I linked, because it collects them all and puts them into a semi-coherent linear timeline

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mayor Dave posted:

What,.you don't like to have 99% of the population forced to turn gay and eventually merge into an androgynous hive mind??

it's a sci fi book from the 70s when all the sci fi authors were horny dudes, so you have to forgive some of the sexual politics of those books, but it was particularly bad. and it might even have overcome that had a single character in the book had anything approaching a personality, but alas. great premise poorly executed.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
O P E N I N G  D A Y

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

O P E N I N G  D A Y

this makes me uncomfortable

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

O P E N I N G  D A Y

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

edit: nvm

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the important thing about forever war is that it paints a future where humanity finally overcomes heterosexuality to create a utopia

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

another piece of the ol scifi that you should go read tonite is press enter by john varley

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

cumshitter posted:

the important thing about forever war is that it paints a future where humanity finally overcomes heterosexuality to create a utopia

and once utopia is achieved they voluntarily become hetero again

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/pBUmf90.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

and once utopia is achieved they voluntarily become hetero again

thts because humanity becomes a series of genetically perfect clones. by not being gay they give up their humanity