Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

probably filled in March? it's probably less than half a tank.

maybe I can limp it to the gas station once I can get it started again, I was hoping to avoid buying a gas can.

Oh, I've left cars sitting for longer I think, I doubt it'd be bad already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BraveUlysses posted:

maybe I can limp it to the gas station once I can get it started again, I was hoping to avoid buying a gas can.

It'll be fine. Just run it. If you're really, concerned, fill it when you are able to drive it to the station.

I ran four-year-old gas in my '65 Fury once I got it going again.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've run 4-5 year old gas in multiple vehicles. I wouldn't choose to, but if it's in there already, it's getting burned. I do try to dilute it by filling the tank completely when possible.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

totalnewbie posted:

How much do you know about modifying cars? I work in the auto industry with powertrain engineers and, yeah, you're not going to get enough from a 1.4L without putting a turbo on it. And that is not a small subject for someone that's the kind of person so ask whether or not it's worth modifying a 1.4L engine for extra power on an internet forum.

Charles posted:

What are your proposed modifications? Modern engines don't really have a lot of power to give, unless maybe you want to turbo it? It's a tiny little engine (apparently it's actually 1.3L? -- Wikipedia seems to think it's an L series) squeezing out a decent amount of power.

It's 1399cc. I know nothing about modify cars really. I drive professionally at an advanced level, mostly 2 litre engines. I really like driving but getting back into my own car is a bit underwhelming.

I was just curious if there was any small mods I could have done to get a bit more push out of it.

This is the answer I pretty much expected.

Thanks though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Real Amethyst posted:

2016 euro civic 1.4L i-vtec 104HP petrol.

I mean red.

104? Phwoar mate that's a racecar. My 1.4 golf only makes 75.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I drive a bifuel car (gasoline & LPG) so the gasoline rarely gets used, it only starts on it and switches to lpg when the car is up to temperature.

I only fill up the gasoline maybe twice a year or so, and only halfway. As a result I drive around on months old gasoline on regular basis.

It's fine.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

spankmeister posted:

104? Phwoar mate that's a racecar. My 1.4 golf only makes 75.

Maybe it's something to do with the ivtech engine. It's a tiny engine but it responds really well to being driven hard. I love my little civic tbh.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well mine is almost 20 years old. Most small engines these days have turbo's and variable everything.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BraveUlysses posted:

The gas is fine. Maybe a little stale, but this isn't a race car - just top it off once you get it to run.

It has other issues if it was throwing a misfire. I'd be concerned about it ingesting chunks of the catalytic converter, that was a very real issue on that era Nissan (mostly the QR25 used in the 4 cyl Altima and the Sentra SE-R). Pull the plugs and see if they're damaged. If they are, it's probably better to just scrap it. :smith: (unless it's in really good shape otherwise - most aren't)

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

My son drives a 2010 Dodge Charger SXT V6. It’s been a solid car for a couple years. I usually feel like when it comes to cars I know the right thing to do but in this case I’m not sure.

Immediately after we bought it we realized that the fuel gauge did not work correctly. It would vary from 1/4 to full with no obvious correlation between the gauge and actual amount of fuel in the tank. When the gauge read low, the appropriate indicator would come on. Since he seldom left the city we live in this was not really a problem, he’s pretty good about keeping track of his mileage and has never run out of gas.

Additionally, the TPMS light has started to intermittently come on, accompanied by the chime. When this began about six weeks ago he checked the pressure and filled the tires to about 36 lbs, verified with two different gauges. He does not remember what any of the actual pressures were when this problem first arose.

From everything I’ve read this is probably an instrument cluster problem. Seems to be a common issue for this car. My mechanic whom I feel I can trust has said that the fuel sending unit is operating correctly and that I should contact the dealer re: the cluster. He does not have the equipment to diagnose the tpms.

So I’ve contacted the dealer, they are telling me $750 for the cluster, installed. I can live with this if I have to. Problem is they claim it’s anywhere from three to four weeks without the car because the new cluster has to be programmed by the vendor.

Is it worth my time to disassemble the dash myself and check all connections at the cluster? I’m tempted to just put an after market fuel gauge on it and ignore the tpms but the chime makes that difficult to do. Should I just bite the bullet and let the dealer diagnose all of this?

Bumped because I probably have to do *something * this week. Just hoping for anything. Tia

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Put in an aftermarket gauge and unplug the speaker that makes a chime?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I live in NM and want a fun, sporty convertible to drive on the weekend, ideally with a bit more oomph than a Miata. Budget of $18,000. Looking at E46 M3s and mid-2000s Boxsters, anything else I should consider?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

After listening to the noise coming out of the rear end of my aunt's '01 S10 Blazer, I'm expecting to be picking pieces of spider gear out of the pan when I take the cover off tomorrow. Being that neither I nor anyone I know has ever rebuilt a rear end, what's the feasibility of grabbing a junkyard pinion and complete cage assembly and putting it in toot sweet, as it has to be driveable by Friday? Or is it smarter just to grab a complete rear axle? That I know I can do in a day.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Complete rear axle. If you've never set up ring and pinion gears you really don't want to do it the first time on a time crunch with used gears on an axle that's in the vehicle. It's not just bolt in and go, my first set took me a full day of futzing with it to get the pattern right.

E: unless it's just the side and spider gears, then you can slap those in in an hour. But there's a good chance the fragments caused damage to the carrier and ring and pinion on their way to freedom.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Complete rear axle it is then. Considering something definitely went bang, it's probably full on carnage inside.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

STR posted:

The gas is fine. Maybe a little stale, but this isn't a race car - just top it off once you get it to run.

It has other issues if it was throwing a misfire. I'd be concerned about it ingesting chunks of the catalytic converter, that was a very real issue on that era Nissan (mostly the QR25 used in the 4 cyl Altima and the Sentra SE-R). Pull the plugs and see if they're damaged. If they are, it's probably better to just scrap it. :smith: (unless it's in really good shape otherwise - most aren't)

Wait how do chunks of catalytic converter get into the combustion chamber? :raise:

Edit: Oh, they were using variable valve timing for EGR with a manifold integrated pre-cat. Way to go Nissan, out-clevered yourselves good didn't ya.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 21, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I am going to be doing the Mustang rear disc brakes on my 99 ranger soon, but I'm worried about removing the old brakes.

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ford_ranger_rear_disc_brake_conversion.shtml

I've seen a bunch of youtube videos about getting the cover off, but nothing about removing the entire system. The link I posted above just says "remove old brakes".

Do they come off that easily?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bumped because I probably have to do *something * this week. Just hoping for anything. Tia

Did you contact the vendor, or a dealer? The dealer should be able to swap it out in a few hours once they have the new cluster, complete with programming it, unless the mileage is stored in a way that doesn't allow them to set up a new cluster (in which case, they'd have to desolder the EEPROM and solder it to the new cluster).

fake edit: some googling suggest some dealers make you order the cluster and leave the car with them the entire time. :fuckoff: So 1-2 weeks..

Here's a service that repairs them, though with the intermittent issues you'd want to contact them first. And you're still down a car for a couple of weeks (several days for shipping each way, plus the repair). Hell of a lot cheaper though.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

STR posted:

Did you contact the vendor, or a dealer? The dealer should be able to swap it out in a few hours once they have the new cluster, complete with programming it, unless the mileage is stored in a way that doesn't allow them to set up a new cluster (in which case, they'd have to desolder the EEPROM and solder it to the new cluster).

fake edit: some googling suggest some dealers make you order the cluster and leave the car with them the entire time. :fuckoff: So 1-2 weeks..

Here's a service that repairs them, though with the intermittent issues you'd want to contact them first. And you're still down a car for a couple of weeks (several days for shipping each way, plus the repair). Hell of a lot cheaper though.

The only two Dodge dealers near me have told me 3-4 weeks without the car. I'm sure Covid is contributing to that in some way but that seems like a crazy amount of time in the modern shipping era.

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's a pretty easy job overall for the shop, just sucks that they want you to leave the car with them the entire time. I know they have the capability to program them.. or maybe they're just ordering them with the mileage already programmed. :sigh:

Depending on your skill level, you could order a used 2010 cluster on eBay and swap over the EEPROM chips (they contain the mileage, VIN, car options, etc).

e: VVV THERE IT IS! I was trying like hell to remember who Eric used.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 21, 2020

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This is who SMA uses for cluster repair, and he speaks highly of them. Though it looks like they might only do work for shops and such. Either way it might be worth dropping them a line. https://www.unitedradio.com

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nublet question: when it comes to carfax and such, is there a AI best practice for getting that info, or is it just "pay carfax"?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If you're buying from a dealer, any good (and a lot of bad) dealers will have a corporate Carfax or Autocheck account. Just ask them to pull the Carfax or Autocheck. Both are good, I've found Autocheck to be a little less paranoid about, say, someone moving their car registration from one state to another (like if the owner moves). The original owner of my car bounced back and forth between British Columbia and the Seattle area every few years, and Carfax flags each of those as a new title. . Anecdotally, another car I owned... Carfax said 3 owners. The original owners had lived most of their lives in Utah, moved to TX, the PO got a Texas title/registration and Texas vehicle inspection so they could trade it in to Carmax. That got flagged as a new owner, despite the vehicle inspection mileage, Texas title mileage, and "offered for sale" being <15 miles and only a couple of weeks apart (short version: it was a 1 owner car)

If it's a private seller, you can always find someone on eBay selling Carfax and Autocheck reports for significantly less than they normally go for (usually someone that works at a dealer using the dealer's main account). This isn't a great idea, hell this might be bordering on piracy chat, but I've used that method before.

Carmax and Autocheck are both to be taken with a large grain of salt. Particularly with accident reports - the severity is generally based on the responding police officer's determination. I got clipped by someone taking a wide turn several years ago, only damaged my front bumper. It was reported as "moderate damage" to Carfax despite it taking the shop <48 hours to fix it. Meanwhile I've seen cars that have "minor damage" noted that have obviously SEEN SOME poo poo.

tl;dr get the seller to pay for one or the other if you can. But don't rely on it as gospel; if it's a car that's not a beater, line up a good local mechanic ahead of time to do a prepurchase inspection. Runs $100-200ish at a reasonable independent place these days?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 21, 2020

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cool, thanks.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Did you recalibrate the tpms after setting the tyre pressures?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Did you recalibrate the tpms after setting the tyre pressures?

Couple times. Fault goes away then comes back a day or two later.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

I live in NM and want a fun, sporty convertible to drive on the weekend, ideally with a bit more oomph than a Miata. Budget of $18,000. Looking at E46 M3s and mid-2000s Boxsters, anything else I should consider?

Here’s the car buying thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What do you guys do after you've smashed your hand to hamburger meat trying to mash something in and out of a tight spot?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How old are you?

To begin with, a poo poo ton of ice.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Never do poo poo for family.

That aside, A1 Auto & Salvage in Amarillo, TX are good people to do business with. $250 for a rear axle assembly, I wasn't expecting brakes and sway bar with it but I got 'em. I asked if he wanted extra for them, he just shrugged and said it wasn't worth the labor remove them.

I feel for you northerly types, I only needed the blue wrench on the shackle bolts to break them loose, everything else came off with a breaker bar and a cheater. Just got to figure out brake lines and e-brake, and then assembly is reverse of disassembly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LKQ here in Austin can be hit or miss like that. I've walked out with plenty of poo poo still attached to parts that they didn't charge me for.

... but I've had them try to charge me for poo poo that wasn't attached or even related. They also won't let you go out in the yard when it's raining, unless you slip the door guy a couple of extra bucks. I NEED A SHOWER DAMNIT, LET ME GET A SHOWER WHILE I YANK OFF MY PARTS!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Rain wouldn't be a factor in Amarillo. Actually nothing is a factor in Amarillo. Amarillo is unfathomably terrible void in which nothing matters and everything is awful.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Then why the hell did George Strait write Amarillo By Morning?! :mad:

Seriously though, I've been through Amarillo before, it's not the worst place in Texas.. If I go visit NM by way of Dallas again, I can drive through there. Been a looooooong time tho, I don't think I've been there since I was... 17?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 24, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

What do you guys do after you've smashed your hand to hamburger meat trying to mash something in and out of a tight spot?

They make a pill for that. It's okay man we're all getting old.

On a more serious note, I go for prevention. I always wear gloves, 9mil over 5mil, leather over the 5mil if I'm going to be forceful or working in a sharp/hot area. Otherwise, alcohol to clean up cuts and wounds, band aids, general first aid. Ice it down if you're suffering from swelling or soreness. Also Aleve/naproxen.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Amarillo has the largest christian cross in the western hemisphere, which is pretty much texas.jpg

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Eureka Springs AR has a large cross too, though I'm sure it has nothing on Amarillo (by mornin).

Eureka Springs is also THE gay mecca of Arkansas. I had no loving clue about that until I went there on a random trip and saw rainbow flags every-loving-where. Not what you expect in the middle of the Ozarks.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 24, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

STR posted:

LKQ here in Austin can be hit or miss like that. I've walked out with plenty of poo poo still attached to parts that they didn't charge me for.

... but I've had them try to charge me for poo poo that wasn't attached or even related. They also won't let you go out in the yard when it's raining, unless you slip the door guy a couple of extra bucks. I NEED A SHOWER DAMNIT, LET ME GET A SHOWER WHILE I YANK OFF MY PARTS!

I would have thought they would pay you, not the other way around, to watch you yank off your parts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Depends who's working the door. :sigh:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

STR posted:

Depends who's working the door. :sigh:

Up next to the stage the '06 Subaru, STR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

06? gently caress YES, I GOT AN UPGRADE! :neckbeard: