Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The Jaya/Sky Island arc is probably the best arc for introducing people to One Piece. It's got everything that makes One Piece great while being largely disconnected from the overarching plot so you don't need a lot of background knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

More One Piece. Magellan, the Head Warden of the World Government's supermax prison, shows us exactly why he has his job by defeating the main villain and his crew in a single attack.

If his ex-Vice Warden hadn't shown up with the antidote to his poisons they would've died then and there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers #23.

The Illuminati are completely broken.

Earths are colliding together and destroying universes and the group has recently been forced into a battle with an ersatz Justice League that ended with almost all of that group horrifically killed and Namor pulling the trigger on a world-destroying bomb, destroying the alternate earth in order to save their own.

Black Panther, Iron Man, Mr Fantastic, Dr Strange and Black Bolt give up all hope of averting the next incursion after casting Namor out and make preparations for their final days.

Eventually, the time for the next incursion comes and goes without incident and the group meet up to discuss what happened and why they've been spared.

To their horror, Black Bolt asks a simple question; "Where's Namor?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I liked the One Piece musuo game enough it made me check out the cartoon until I saw there's 900 episodes. Is the Manga a little more compact and they were just trying to stretch poo poo out between releases or is it bonkers long too?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

With no knowledge of One Piece or anything about it, I'm willing to wager my life savings that it's significantly longer.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

The manga is at chapter 984.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ThingOne posted:

The manga is at chapter 984.

So I guess I'll stick to musuo games.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I mean, I think it's worth reading but there's no way a 23 year old weekly series isn't going to be a bit of a slog.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Skwirl posted:

So I guess I'll stick to musuo games.

I mean, there IS a fuckload of filler in the anime, an episode can cover like three or four manga chapters at a time without much issue. So it would take significantly less time to catch up via reading the manga itself.

The issue is more that One Piece is loving insane and will likely never end, no matter how close it seems to be getting at any point.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

As I understand it the Manga is 100% the way to enjoy one piece. The anime exists but it's horribly paced and incredibly long. The manga is also incredibly long but it's better so... There you go.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

I mean, there IS a fuckload of filler in the anime, an episode can cover like three or four manga chapters at a time without much issue. So it would take significantly less time to catch up via reading the manga itself.

The issue is more that One Piece is loving insane and will likely never end, no matter how close it seems to be getting at any point.

The manga is actually pretty clearly in the endgame after Whole Cake Island but how much longer that's going to take is anyone's guess. The Strawhats have already challenged one Emperor and survived and now they're angling to take down another with a little bit of help.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
One Piece is a very good manga that I think fans of super-hero comics might like very much.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
One Piece is a beast of a comic no doubt, but when I had more free time I would find ways to reread the whole thing from start to current pretty often.

It's definitely not without its flaws (women getting more and more sameface/samebody, severe cast bloat, among other things), and those only became more apparent in recent years, but I think I'm pretty much in for the long run at this point.

Anyone who's interested can check it out on Viz's website, you can read the first three chapters totally free, and access to the archives is only 2$ a month.
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/one-piece

And yeah, don't bother with the anime. It's how I got into the series in the first place but the padding became unbearable after a certain point and that was before the author started taking a week off every month. I can only imagine how bad it is now.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
watching one piece is like having someone read the manga aloud to you and taking a five minute break after every page and occasionally inserting fanfiction. just read it yourself, its a masterpiece

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The One Piece anime is a nightmare that highlights everything wrong with the Japanese manga/anime industry. Poor art, filler arcs, nightmarish pacing, atrocious dubs, filling episodes with clip material to save costs, an absolute refusal to halt production or adopt a season-based structure. It's pure poison and would turn any reasonable person off.

There's one movie that's worth watching called Movie Z. It's a pretty decent watch and does that rare anime movie thing where it enriches the canon instead of just pulling from it.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

The One Piece anime's problem is that it's trapped in the old-school shonen model of airing constantly, regardless of how much material it actually has to work with. Newer shows rightfully left that behind in favor of airing in seasons which lets them actually be good.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think all the crew introduction arcs are worth a watch.
The anime peaked for me after Enies Lobby arc. I still read the manga religously, but it suffers heavily from "But wait! A flashback!" bullshit. Particularly Wano.

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Story_Arcs
All of East Blue and Alabasta Sagas are 100% worth watching.
Skip Skypiea Saga entirely. Watch a summary on Youtube.
Skip Long Ring Island
Watch Water 7 and Enies Lobby in full.

After that if you're still interested:
Watch Thriller Bark for Brooks intro, but it's not as hype as Enies Lobby.
If you're still interested the Impel Down + Marine War arcs are pretty loving solid.

Skip all the filler eps. They're garbage.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I read the entire One Piece manga (up until the current storyline's first dozen chapters I think) and it took me about 3 to 4 months, so take that as a sort of metric on how long it may take. (Reading 1 or 2 hours a day maybe). I used the Viz archives and a few collected volumes.
If you're trying to read it from the start, I suggest you go for the Viz archives, since the fan translation is famously lovely.

Edit: It's a really, really good comic when it fires in all cylinders and the action scenes are some of the best. Be aware though, that like almost all manga, it's gender politics are majorly hosed.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 20, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vincent posted:

I read the entire One Piece manga (up until the current storyline's first dozen chapters I think) and it took me about 3 to 4 months, so take that as a sort of metric on how long it may take. (Reading 1 or 2 hours a day maybe). I used the Viz archives and a few collected volumes.
If you're trying to read it from the start, I suggest you go for the Viz archives, since the fan translation is famously lovely.

Edit: It's a really, really good comic when it fires in all cylinders and the action scenes are some of the best. Be aware though, that like almost all manga, it's gender politics are majorly hosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83rYQsTi2FY

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

Huh. I don’t remember it seeming this hosed up in the manga.

Though that was half a decade ago so I may just be more clued in now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It's (apparently) gotten better. The current story arc has two AMAB character who dress like women, one of which is heavily implied to be a trans girl, and someone who is very likely a trans man.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I wouldn't even say Kiku's implied anymore, Oda consistently refers to her with female pronouns in and out of the manga and she's said that "she is a woman at heart" which is like THE line for trans women in Japanese media. Yamato's still a bit up in the air but Kaido and his crew all refer to him as Kaido's son and he's told Luffy he wants to be Kozuiki Oden so until I see proof otherwise I'm going to assume he's a trans man.
Speaking of Koizuki Oden (spoilers for the most recent flashback.)
After years sailing the world with Whitebeard and Roger Oden comes back to find Orochi has usurped the shogunate with the help of the pirate Kaido and is slowly tuning Wano into a dystopian hellhole so Oden gathers his samurai vassals and launches an attack on Kaido's forces.

After a narrow defeat Oden and his samurai are sentenced to death by boiling oil. Oden gets Kaido to agree that anyone who survives an hour in the pot can go free; then he does this.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I never honestly thought Ivankov was that hosed up. I thought most of the hate went to the time skip Sanji runs from transwomen arc.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

I never honestly thought Ivankov was that hosed up. I thought most of the hate went to the time skip Sanji runs from transwomen arc.

agreed. a woman whose power is that she can inject people with hormones to change their gender is great

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I think Inazuma is one of the coolest looking characters in the series, that whole arc had some really great designs.
I consider this guy to be perfect

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ivankov is probably a lot better if you put more thought into them than Oda did. Ivankov is capable of being a tall, slender attractive conventional-woman. But choses to spend most of their time short, wide and with a crotch bulge. They're making a clear choice to present as a male transvestite, as a statement of support to their underlings.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah Ivankov I felt was always alright, and treated like a Frank N Furter parody. Never saw anything really disrespectful there.

The island Sanji gets plonked on for a year was the super problematic part.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

ThingOne posted:

the pot thing

FYI this is a huge lift from the folkloric story of Ishikawa Goemon

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah, I was talking more about how Sanji is "Sexual Harassment: The Character", the transwomen island where they are all depicted as a caricature with bad make-up and five o'clock beards and predatory actions towards any male character and the fact that Nami and Robin tend to be damsels in distress more than members of the straw-hats (Robin less so, but Nami...yikes!) even after the time skip. Most female characters get damseled quickly. (examples: The Dressrossa arc and the one with Crocodile).

Edit: Badass panel.

Context: The Avengers are trying to stop a Kree/Skrull armada from attacking the earth. Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes) is an avenger. He can turn any vehicle into a hell vehicle. He's currently piloting the Quinjet.

(Empyre #1)

Vincent fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 23, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gee Robbie! How come the Spirit of Vengeance lets you have Two Penance Stares?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
There's a trick to Penance Staring in two directions at once...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there actually a page of a random paramedic casually handing Mjolnir over to Thor or is that a myth?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Nope.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I mean, aside from Jake Olsen. But he was Thor.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there actually a page of a random paramedic casually handing Mjolnir over to Thor or is that a myth?

Did you try googling it? It's the first hit. https://www.cbr.com/thor-paramedic-mjolnir/

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think they were just being nice and letting me brag about the fact that I remember Jake Olsen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

Did you try googling it? It's the first hit. https://www.cbr.com/thor-paramedic-mjolnir/

And it says “false” right away in the article.

I’d be down for a good Captain America panel or something though. Just want something inspiring. loving A I’m tired.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Elfface posted:

There's a trick to Penance Staring in two directions at once...

Edit: This would make a good avatar if it wasn't, you know, the times we live in.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Spanish Matlock posted:

Edit: This would make a good avatar if it wasn't, you know, the times we live in.

If anybody wants a fresh av but doesn't want to give $$$ to Lowtax, you can show me a receipt or some other documentation of a new donation to RAINN or another anti-domestic abuse organization and I'll queue it up for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You're a good egg.

I don't have the issues on hand to scan, and can't find them easily, but my favourite badass Captain America moment is in #270 when Arnie Roth is quibbling through his explanation of why he came to Steve and Steve's just like, "Look, whatever you need, Arnie, Captain America's here to help!"

It has that great moment later where Roth breaks down explaining that it's all a trap, that his lover Michael has been captured and the only way he could see him again is if he brought Captain America in to be betrayed and Cap doesn't even blink before telling him to go ahead with it and let him take care of anything.

Also leads to the later issue where Superia has brainwashed Arnie into debasing and humiliating himself, which leads to one of the great Captain America speeches:

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 24, 2020