Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Leal posted:

Finally hitting space. How well does substrate farming work in SoS? E: Also do research benches not work in space? I had one built when it launched but my pawn wouldn't research anything.

Substrate's pretty great. It's not as fast as hydroponics but it's more reliable and you can grow corn. If you have Dubs Hygiene and a bunch of life support modules, you can even add sprinklers.

Research should definitely work, I've gotten a bunch of tech after lifting my entire population into space. Hopefully it's just a permissions thing and not a bug :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mining colony has practically strip mined everything that doesn't directly border the base. After all that mining I found a whopping... 2 plasteel tiles. Thats fine I can just start deep dril- oh right deep drilling sucks now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Inacio posted:

i usually do incinerators by having a ton of wood furniture in the middle of the room and then i just fire an incendiary grenade launcher inside and get the gently caress out. reaches bizarre temps like 500c pretty quick which kills everything but mechs

you can use an incendiary IED as well if you prefer, works amazing when placed in the middle of a room and behind a couple of wooden barricades, facing an auto-turret.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Leal posted:

Mining colony has practically strip mined everything that doesn't directly border the base. After all that mining I found a whopping... 2 plasteel tiles. Thats fine I can just start deep dril- oh right deep drilling sucks now.

At least deep drilling you get pratically infinite resources, you need a few people just scanning because it takes a week to find one deposit assuming you don't have workers with 1000% work speed.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SugarAddict posted:

At least deep drilling you get pratically infinite resources, you need a few people just scanning because it takes a week to find one deposit assuming you don't have workers with 1000% work speed.

Also you can stagger your work shifts so each scanner is running continuously, with 2~3 operators.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I again recommend long range scanning as a generally better alternative to deep drilling, especially as you are already using things which enhance your strategic mobility.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I again recommend long range scanning as a generally better alternative to deep drilling, especially as you are already using things which enhance your strategic mobility.

I generally don't use the long range scanner simply because having colonists on a trip means those colonists aren't there to defend the colony or may be ambushed on their way there or on the way back, until I have like 400 emergency meals saved up (which is hard to do), I'm not inclined to have colonists leave my colony on anything other than a very necessary trading trip or a quest that I know they won't horribly die on.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 23, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you keep the caravan size down it is extremely unlikely they will attract attention. And you can also fire them there (and back) with drop pods if you want to trade steel for other resources.

Plus I'm fairly sure colonists who aren't in the colony will not contribute to the raid size calculations so raids should be slightly smaller with fewer colonists on map.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If you keep the caravan size down it is extremely unlikely they will attract attention. And you can also fire them there (and back) with drop pods if you want to trade steel for other resources.

Plus I'm fairly sure colonists who aren't in the colony will not contribute to the raid size calculations so raids should be slightly smaller with fewer colonists on map.

If you didn't underestimate the amount of crap and organs I have laying around from raiders I would believe this, my colonists aren't worth that much until they become bionic gods. I should probably remove "mend and recycle" mod, or use the fueled version.

Also I don't often live in mountains so assholes in drop pods that rain from the sky into my colony is a real thing on non mountain maps, and those are usually my primary concern, unless I'm in a mountain then it's raids with diggers and infestations.

But with my current mods the two MAJOR causes of concern are rabbit assaults and glitterworld commando raids. I'm not sure why I torture myself so with these mods.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is every room in SoS considered "ship"? Is it not possible to get bedroom, rec room and dining room buffs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SugarAddict posted:

If you didn't underestimate the amount of crap and organs I have laying around from raiders I would believe this, my colonists aren't worth that much until they become bionic gods. I should probably remove "mend and recycle" mod, or use the fueled version.

Also I don't often live in mountains so assholes in drop pods that rain from the sky into my colony is a real thing on non mountain maps, and those are usually my primary concern, unless I'm in a mountain then it's raids with diggers and infestations.

But with my current mods the two MAJOR causes of concern are rabbit assaults and glitterworld commando raids. I'm not sure why I torture myself so with these mods.

If you have people cybered to hell and back then that's an even better reason to send them caravanning because they can usually run from any trouble they encounter.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well thats annoying, I deconstructed and rebuilt my research bench, I even built the non powered one and my pawns in space wont research. And yes research is enabled. They'll scan on the bridge which uses the same labor, but research is a no go. Guess I'll need to keep a planet base to research, but hell I need one to get raiders to process into DNA mush. Also my ship decided to launch on the complete opposite side of the planet as my colony so it takes forever for poo poo to get shuttled.

I was originally gonna ape donut station from SS13 but went gently caress it real quick. West side would be the kitchen, rec room and grow op. Northwest will be the hospital, cloning and droid area. North would've been research but I guess I'll make that the shuttle bay and storage, with crafting benches. East is the barracks and south is the power and water area.

And something I've just discovered, after placing the artificial soil substrate in your ship you can then plow it with garden tools for that 160% fertility.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Hmm, I'm toying with either installing Rimworld of Magic or not. On one hand it would totally fit the ~aesthetic~ I'm going for since I'm gonna be doing a Skaven and Fimir colony, on the other hand I've heard some uh questionable things about it.

Anyone have experience and want to weigh in?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's fun, it just breaks the game in half if you get high level wizards because they can just solve all the problems by magic.

Which I mean is kind of the point? It's magic, it wouldn't be very magic if it wasn't OP.

I guess if you maybe removed passive mana regeneration and made everyone rely on potions it might be a bit more balanced.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Zore posted:

Hmm, I'm toying with either installing Rimworld of Magic or not. On one hand it would totally fit the ~aesthetic~ I'm going for since I'm gonna be doing a Skaven and Fimir colony, on the other hand I've heard some uh questionable things about it.

Anyone have experience and want to weigh in?

Well if you are looking for a balanced and polished experience, it might not be the best thing. In my opinion it's more of a mod for a novelty colony.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's super fun, like posted above, but yeah pawns get stupid overpowered.

Like a single high level high skill bladedancer with some decent equipment will absolutely murder everybody with his blink ability and multiple aoe attacks, and if things get dicey just blink to the other side of the mountain.

You get wizards that can wipe out enemies by having them literally age to death, only for one of his friends to raise the remains for both labor and having a disposable army of undead.

If you need plasteel or any other material just summon meteorites until you get the right one.

Have as much fertile soil as you want. Hell, let's make it extra fertile just for kicks!

Regrow limbs! Resurrect pawns! Summon firestorms, icestorms, lightningstorms to wipe out an entire invading army in seconds.

It's awesome and stupid fun.

It's also a great opportunity to mod in new, interesting and most importantly stronger dangers because the base game will not be a challenge anymore once it gets going.

Rhadamant has a great letsplay series on youtube focused on it and he kept having to make enemies stronger and more numerous every other episode because literally 100 invaders was nothing to him anymore. As in 2 or 3 pawns could handle it easily.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One way to sort of keep it interesting is if you also install combat extended, because your mighty archmage master of time and space can still get half their body blown off from across the map by a 20mm cannon :v:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Royalty makes a single colonist soloing raids with magic canon anyway, my record is 1 Countess vs 41 raiders.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Add in magic, bionics and different race mods and enjoy playing shadowrun

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think it'd be better to have like just 1 or 2 overpowered colonists instead of an entire squad of them but that's just me

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Leal posted:

Is every room in SoS considered "ship"? Is it not possible to get bedroom, rec room and dining room buffs?

Unless SOS completely changes how that works, the "type" of room doesn't matter at all, only that your pawns perform their recreation/etc activities in an impressive room.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I think it'd be better to have like just 1 or 2 overpowered colonists instead of an entire squad of them but that's just me

I tend to super-borg my entire colony because why not? also because it makes my colonists better and more survivable in general. 500% movespeed means you can generally outrun most things trying to kill you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

And something I've just discovered, after placing the artificial soil substrate in your ship you can then plow it with garden tools for that 160% fertility.

Alright I was actually wrong on this, while you can set the blueprints down for it your pawns will remove the substrate.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
As someone mentioned, just get the Quarry mod and adjust the settings until you find what you feel is balanced.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Quarry and Prison Labour is a fun combo :v:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Leal posted:

Well thats annoying, I deconstructed and rebuilt my research bench, I even built the non powered one and my pawns in space wont research. And yes research is enabled. They'll scan on the bridge which uses the same labor, but research is a no go. Guess I'll need to keep a planet base to research, but hell I need one to get raiders to process into DNA mush.
Are you researching a tech where you have to use the powered one with the little upgrade thingy next to it?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Are you researching a tech where you have to use the powered one with the little upgrade thingy next to it?

Shoving myself into a locker, brb.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just bought this game on a whim because it seems like it'd scratch my Dorfort itch, and it does! It's Fun!

A partial list of things that have killed forts so far:
- An alcoholic child soldier going crazy from withdrawal and putting the only other dwarf settler who can do medical tasks in traction.
- A potato famine.
- A tree growing in the way of my wind turbine and me only noticing when all my raw meat went bad in the middle of a raid.
- A pyromaniac deciding the best place to set stress fires is right next to everyone's wooden houses.
- An angry turtle and a guy with a club in the middle of a heat wave.

I might change to the chillax director for a bit. :ohdear:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Never suffer a pyromaniac to live

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

I just bought this game on a whim because it seems like it'd scratch my Dorfort itch, and it does! It's Fun!

A partial list of things that have killed forts so far:
- An alcoholic child soldier going crazy from withdrawal and putting the only other dwarf settler who can do medical tasks in traction.
- A potato famine.
- A tree growing in the way of my wind turbine and me only noticing when all my raw meat went bad in the middle of a raid.
- A pyromaniac deciding the best place to set stress fires is right next to everyone's wooden houses.
- An angry turtle and a guy with a club in the middle of a heat wave.

I might change to the chillax director for a bit. :ohdear:

Phoebe Chillax lets you be for a while, and then drops all of the poo poo that Cassandra would on you but without the in-between raids to help you supplement your stuff first. Play with Randy. He's harsh at times, but RNG giveth and RNG taketh fairly above all else, and unlike Phoebe and Cassandra he isn't programmed to shove you towards the spaceship.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Randy is such a loving Chad he makes all other storytellers look like chumps

CHUMPS I say. Especially that HP Lovecraft storyteller, that guy is a swirly magnet

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
After strip mining the mountains I deconstructed everything and moved my miners to a place below the space station.

Well hello there, a cave system that revealed an open space in the mountains? A place I can enter and leave via ships? Whats that, I got a mod that puts in repulsor shields to keep drop pods from falling inside? drat, kinda feeling bad this is temporary.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Pyromaniacs are so god-drat detrimental that they should come with massive bonuses to everything else to make them viable.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Katt posted:

Pyromaniacs are so god-drat detrimental that they should come with massive bonuses to everything else to make them viable.

StealthArcher posted:

BUT THE RESOURCE ACCUMULATION I scream greggishly.

I refer to focus 3 of my modpack design tree.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Use Randy, don't use pyromaniacs. Got it. Anything else super obvious?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Colonists with a "chemical" trait will inevitably overdose themselves into permanent brain damage. Don't invest too heavily into them or their long term membership in your colony.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PMush Perfect posted:

If something begins to bug you, check if there's a mod for it. There are a lot of QoL mods that you should add if you think they sound neat.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

No absolutely “use” pyromaniacs, just don’t keep them around. Pyromania is not inherited via kidney after all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

...kidney? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
It is important to use every part of the pyromaniac.