Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Oh, this feels like reading the Shadow Hearts LP - there's no limit to how far off the rails we can go so there's not really anything so outlandish that blind viewers could confidently call bullshit or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Over-consumption of Monster Energy drink can lead to vitamin BT deficiency.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The real reason Sam can't die is Monster Energy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sam died years ago, his body is being animated through pure Monster-induced rigor mortis.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whenever Norman Reedus gurgles out a line during a cutscene it's just the gasses escaping

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Waiiiiiiiiiiiiit a second... Are you telling me Death Stranding is the unauthorized sequel to Swiss Army Man?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I 100% believe it would make Kojima a little bit sad if he learned someone had thought of making a Monster™ Energy Drink counter but then decided not to do so :smith:

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

WWHKD?

A counter obviously, but a counter with deep episode spanning Counter Lore culiminating in a post game 4 episode counter epilogue somehow connecting everything to the Prince of Persia 2008 LP death counter.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam, this is Count Hardman. As you know, I am the lord of Castle Countenstein, and your final delivery to link up the UCA has to be to me. But there's something I haven't told you... I'm actually dracula. You see, many people know of dracula from films and common knowledge among western horror movie and novel tropes, but actually the concept of vampirism stems from a grounded belief system in the real world, for example in

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

CJacobs posted:

Sam, this is Count Hardman. As you know, I am the lord of Castle Countenstein, and your final delivery to link up the UCA has to be to me. But there's something I haven't told you... I'm actually dracula. You see, many people know of dracula from films and common knowledge among western horror movie and novel tropes, but actually the concept of vampirism stems from a grounded belief system in the real world, for example in
Wouldn't be Kojima's first game about Draculas. Or second. Or third. Fifth, maybe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The real question is, does Sam think Santa Claus is real or that glowing mushrooms recharge his batteries? How much does he know about obscure movie trivia? How much of a kojima protagonist IS Sam?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
thanks to the australian government I picked up a PS4 a couple of weeks ago, and thanks to the sale on the playstation store I now have Death Stranding so now I can play along at home!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have a question about Lost Cargo, that generated by the game rather than other players giving up - is it randomly spawned, or are there set packages that show up in certain areas? Like if I got all the boxes between the first Waystation and Capital Knot, would more boxes appear later, or would they only appear if other players dumped them?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It varies, there are a lot of internal 'types' of dropped cargo. Some of them have a permanently set destination and size, some of them are randomized every time you're in the area, some of them have the possibility of being other players' cargo or generated cargo made for us to deliver, and so on. Dropped cargo does respawn every time you leave and come back to an area (usually via the private room) so the well will never dry up. Usually when we pass by an area there will be a cargo box of some type in approximately the same position as last time we were there, give or take a few feet in any direction just for variety's sake. There are also lots of oddball locations where cargo spawns once and never again once you pick it up and deliver it, like the ones I mentioned that serve as a tutorial in the recent episodes.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 1, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alright, gang, I need your help. The PC version of Death Stranding has released and I'm swapping over to it starting with the next video, but there's an issue that's making recording it pretty difficult. I'll spare you having to hear about the hours of tooling around I did to figure all this out- in short: Death Stranding on PC uses your local time zone to control the development of online features like desire paths, structures, and so on. The problem is, it does all these things in real time, which won't cut it when I'm going sometimes days between recording sessions. Here's an example for you:

This was my first take of the current segment, on Aug 7. Due to my health problems I had to stop for almost a week, and when I came back to the same spot on Aug 12...

Pretty much permanent completed desire paths and almost exclusively level 3 structures, with several finished cairns and mushrooms and way way way too many player signs. This means the game has moved most of the obstacles out of the way and flattened all the hills and stuff, which is cool, but it happened way way too fast. Especially for the recordings, considering it happens in the middle of an episode. This has gotta be bugged because it didn't happen nearly this fast on PS4 and I hope they do something about it, but in the meantime I need to get around it to continue recording.

So, I need ideas. Help me fool the game into thinking that my last login date is whatever arbitrary time I decide so that I can control how stuff like desire paths and structures appear in my game. Things that DO NOT WORK are setting my PC time manually, changing the creation/modify date of the save file, changing the 'LastModifiedTime' parameter in the save file itself (written in seconds since Jan 1 0000). The one thing I've tried that DOES work is setting my PC time zone- this properly changes my last login date to whatever time it currently is in that time zone. But obviously that's not a solution because after a short period there's no way to go back, only forward.

What seems to be happening is: The game checks your time zone when you first log in and likely compares it to the local server time by adding or removing the proper number of hours. In such a case there is likely no way to trick it, probably intentional so that it dual-functions as a way to automatically finagle the multiplayer and as an anti cheat measure. But that can't be ALL of it, because then I could just save and quit without making any progress to refresh my last login date and not have it add the new structures and paths. Even if I do that, it still acts the same as it would if I were using the old file. I'm missing something, and that's why I think we can get this figured out.

I've provided my profile save and the most recent manual save for you to mess around with as you will, maybe with a hex editor or something. But please feed me any suggestion you can think of no matter how out there, I'm all ears.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 13, 2020

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Is there any specific reason you want to do this on the PC version rather than PS4? Are you just looking at it being easier to capture footage or something special on the PC version that you don't get on PS4?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Several reasons in addition to the footage being easier to capture and edit. The PC version has fun and silly additional exclusive content, several little quality of life features, runs at 60 frames (and in true 4K if you disable Nvidia DLSS). As well, the PC version gives me the freedom to back up my saves and do multiple recording takes very easily, whereas it's a pain in the dick on PS4. It's just generally a much more pleasant experience.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
I'm assuming the incredibly obvious solution of "play offline" has problems (like not being able to show off the online stuff) that prevent you from doing that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, if you play offline you get nothing at all- no lost cargo, no paths, no other players' structures. You can 'freeze' your game world by turning off the option to log in, so that it only updates the game world when you choose to do so, but that's no longer helpful to me now that the game uses real time to determine what you'll get when you do log in anyway.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
It turns out instead of an explosion leaving crater, a BT eating a dude causes an explosion of ladders, emotes, and post boxes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alright, I've made a few discoveries from fiddling around with it some more. It looks like the game only checks your last login date once, the first time you log in during a play session. You can save, load, change your options, whatever you need to do as long as you don't exit to the main menu or quit the game. Structures, paths etc will form slowly over time like they should as long as you don't let it check the time again.

Obviously leaving the game open on my pc until I'm finished recording it is not going to work, so now my focus is this: is there a way to monitor the packets requested by the game and sent by my PC? If so, can I prevent ONLY that packet from being sent while still allowing the rest of the online features? Or better yet, can I possibly inspect what's actually in the packet and spoof it to contain different time and date information?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I assume you've already considered just altering your computer clock?

EDIT: blergh it's late and I forgot you mentioning that, nevermind me

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 14, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes. As I said in the first post, changing the time and date doesn't work, it seems the game accesses your PC's time zone information specifically to figure out what time it is. I can change my last login date by a few hours in either direction by changing my PC time zone but that's all.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
an idea I have:

- play a session, save, quit to menu
- change the online mode to offline, go back into game, save and quit

~ the relentless march of time ~

- go back into game, save, quit to menu
- turn offline mode to online, continue game

otherwise we're looking at deep magicks to work out what exactly the information the servers look at to determine the time passed. Is the last login time saved in the actual save file? is that information even sent? does the game just say to the server "user 0x0C74C085 has logged in from [timezone], you work out the math"? Plus trying to look at the packets is assuming the game even uses unencrypted data when talking to the server

If I had this problem my first instinct would be to annoy a dev about this, and I say this as someone with heavy anxiety issues involving starting communication with people I haven't interacted with before

I don't even know that procedure I described might do beyond "be something to try, hope for best"

also I can't look at those screenshots without thinking this:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's a good idea but unfortunately it won't work- as the game only updates your last login date when you actually log in, the offline save made just before logging back in for a new session will still have the same last login date as the online one from christmas past.

For reference, I've given up on the packet interception thing. I monitored the traffic between my PC and the game server and there's a handshake back and forth between the two before and after every interaction. No way to remove any of the data because it makes sure what it's sending made it there, otherwise it tries again or declares a connection error and kicks you into offline mode. It can't be altered anyway as it is naturally all encrypted.

So, now I'm looking into finding the last login date with Cheat Engine so that I can set it to whatever I want. The problem is I have no idea what notation the value is stored using and no idea where to look to find that out. All I really have to go on is this:

quote:

ModificationTime = 63733017496000000

Every save file lists the time when it was last modified in milliseconds since Jan 1 0001 in my timezone at the top in plaintext. Changing this value myself seems to only visually affect the date displayed on the save file. If the game uses this number in any way to compare your last login date, or perhaps uses seconds since Jan 1 0001 for the login date itself, I have no idea. But I'm trying to find out!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 14, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alright so I don't want to waste too much time on this when I could be just recording the game, so I've come up with a different plan. Whenever you trip the game's flag for updating your game world, it'll pick a random assortment of 'things' to plop down or change. There are several flags and I don't wanna spoil the magic (not yet at least) so I won't go into much detail about it here, but the general gist of it is that the flags are very frequent and the 'things' list includes basically anything we have seen or can create ourselves (and stuff we can't create, but will be able to soon).

Observe these two attempts tripping the same flag from the same save file:

Note that there's generally the same amount of 'stuff', desire paths included. In this instance the game spawns 20-ish 'things' and they can be anything we have seen or obtained for ourselves. So my solution is simple and clean: I'm going to be playing in offline mode because it's not like Death Stranding has actual realtime multiplayer, and I'll log in once after each recording session or maybe during a session and cut it with editing just to update the world accordingly. You still get the transforming world represented in the videos, and I get to somewhat pick and choose what pops up where and when!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Sounds like a good compromise to me.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm sorry it's making more work for you, but I applaud your dedication to delivering the finest LP experience. Thank you!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bought this for PC because of this LP. Took a bit but man it's enthralling. The ever expanding Tips menu is also hilarious.

I would really love a BT-less mode, though. Just let me zone out and walk across America to deliver packages in peace!!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The LP will be returning soon now that I'm on the uphill climb to health again, but for now here's twelve hours of CJacobs to tide you over!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBlsEfsWiA0

It's that time again! August 25th was my birthday, and I turned 26 this year! To celebrate, I spent the whole day hanging out with you folks and carrying on the tradition of Bioshock-ing around the clock, this time with Bioshock 2, another excellent entry in the series.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

happy belated birthday, CJacobs!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Glad you're better, brother.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I have something to look forward to next year, just so I can hear your hot takes on Infinite. :kiss:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dareon posted:

I have something to look forward to next year, just so I can hear your hot takes on Infinite. :kiss:

I will be foaming at the mouth by the end of it

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Did you do the Bioshock DLC?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The Infinite DLC would probably just cause increasing amounts of foam.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did you do the Bioshock DLC?

We didn't have time for it, but I have not played Minerva's Den so I'm going to do that blind next time I stream. I'm excited because it's the only Bioshock content I haven't played and it's supposedly the best of the best.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CJacobs posted:

We didn't have time for it, but I have not played Minerva's Den so I'm going to do that blind next time I stream. I'm excited because it's the only Bioshock content I haven't played and it's supposedly the best of the best.

Minerva's den is very good. yes.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Bioshock 2 - Remastered is currently super cheap on gog if anyone's interested. I had save files from a 75%ish playthrough on someone elses Steam account I'd lost access to and now that CJacobs has rudely forced quality birthday entertainment on to me, I thought it best I finish it before watching the rest of the stream.

The C stands for Clearing my growing list of half finished games.

edit: lol, make that a 95% save. At least I still have Minervas Den!

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I ended up beating this after about 70-75 hours played. What a masterpiece. Thanks for giving me a taste and pushing me to get it, Jacobs.

Will you be getting any Half-Life items? The Gravity Gloves are KILLER.