Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

personally I'd say the ravening ambulatory meat pile is more of a tragic hero

these aspects of its character will be further explored in Carrion 2: My Wayward Son

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Hwurmp posted:

these aspects of its character will be further explored in Carrion 2: My Wayward Son

gently caress

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm kind of annoyed that they still don't seem to have implemented a map screen.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that they still don't seem to have implemented a map screen.

Yeah, that omission is really bothering me as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Carrion has this charge ability you can do when you have two health bars, and I could swear one of its sound effects has a chicken cluck in it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hwurmp posted:

Carrion has this charge ability you can do when you have two health bars, and I could swear one of its sound effects has a chicken cluck in it

Yes, thank you, I just got done playing this for a bit and I also can't stop hearing a stock chicken clucking sound

Pretty cool game though, for a gamepass thing especially. It's neat slithering around and it sure is gory enough :stare:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Attack of the Earthlings: I like the puzzle gameplay of "you start with 1 unit, and it can spawn more units after killing and eating the enemies. slowly unravel the patrol routes and general map as you advance through the level"

but I also hate the general slowness/clunkiness of the UI, so I'll go until it gets too hard/annoying, or until I beat it. Also I wish the humor were a little less toilet humor and a little more "horrible corporate culture" which is actually kinda funny.

So overall getting this for free was about the right speed for me. It makes me want to replay Invisible Inc, too...

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ended up grabbing dj max whatever it’s called in the sale thanks to some help from this thread and it’s fun but holy gently caress it gets way too hard way too quickly. There’s a reason stuff like rock band took off while these insane games stayed niche.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I don't think DJMax is exactly "niche" by conventional standards, hasn't that series historically been huge in South Korea and elsewhere in Asia in particular? Plus I feel like the main reasons games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero got popular was because they had massive amounts of marketing, because of the peripherals, and because they were designed for multiplayer in social settings. Aside from being in the same genre, they're very different games.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

How is Stellaris without any of the DLC? Because it sounds nice for $8, but if I have to spend another $60 on DLC in order to actually play the full game, I'm not sure if it's worth picking up.

Most DLC just add new play styles, so if you don't want to play a megacorp you can skip that DLC.

See also, the Stellaris thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850079

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Quick question, is Batman The Enemy Within Shadows Mode just like...a filter for the look of the game? Because that's what it seems like to me.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Grappler Force Rena is disappointing for a game published by the Freedom Planet Devs.

The level design and grappling mechanics are underwhelming.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/794550/Grapple_Force_Rena/

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Ftl is good. I'm still new but I love it so much

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The Logistical dev has gone and done it: Logistical 3: Earth

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

New Platinum Bundle

3 for about US$10 I think? Blazing Chrome, Iconoclasts, and Wonder Boy are probably worth it right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Artelier posted:

New Platinum Bundle

3 for about US$10 I think? Blazing Chrome, Iconoclasts, and Wonder Boy are probably worth it right?

I'd say so

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Iconoclasts alone is worth that.

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013

Blattdorf posted:

The Logistical dev has gone and done it: Logistical 3: Earth

Absolute madman. I'm still getting through Logistical Australia, and that's a tiny fraction of that thing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just finished the first real dungeon in CrossCode, Temple Mine

Those dungeons are long :stare:

Doing more than one or two sidequests seems almost impossible to do and stay on-curve, bloody hell I've still got a few quests for Rookie Harbor and almost all of them for Bergen to do, and I'm off to the next area already? :psyduck:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 24, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Grappler Force Rena is disappointing for a game published by the Freedom Planet Devs.

The level design and grappling mechanics are underwhelming.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/794550/Grapple_Force_Rena/

The story's great, but yeah, the gameplay is not at all what I envisioned.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My friends really want to have a virtual lan party. I'm not really sure what that means nowadays since we all play games together online all the time anyway. Essentially I think they want games that would be fun to play with just our group of 7-10 people with no other random players from the internet.

The initial list of games they came up with was dire so we decided to push it off till next week and actually try to find games that would work well for this setting.

I'm trying to think of games that would be good for this setting. After some googling The Ship & Spy Party seem really cool. Barotrauma also seems unique and interesting.

Anyone else have other suggestions for games that would work?

Edit: Are there any modern tower defense games that have co-op or even vs that would be fun for this?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 24, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Megasabin posted:

My friends really want to have a virtual lan party. I'm not really sure what that means nowadays since we all play games together online all the time anyway. Essentially I think they want games that would be fun to play with just our group of 7-10 people with no other random players from the internet.

The initial list of games they came up with was dire so we decided to push it off till next week and actually try to find games that would work well for this setting.

I'm trying to think of games that would be good for this setting. After some googling The Ship & Spy Party seem really cool. Barotrauma also seems unique and interesting.

The various survival games like 7 Days to Die and Modded Minecraft are good for this.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So I found a discount code from GOG to get Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition for 12 bucks on GOG. Coincidentally, I've been nudged at to try out the more recent game, but I've honestly never seriously put time into a western RPG, and while I'm being told the second game is much better, I'd hate to gamble sixty bucks at it when I can play the original game for 1/5th of that price, and see if I'll even care about the format...thoughts?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Morter posted:

So I found a discount code from GOG to get Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition for 12 bucks on GOG. Coincidentally, I've been nudged at to try out the more recent game, but I've honestly never seriously put time into a western RPG, and while I'm being told the second game is much better, I'd hate to gamble sixty bucks at it when I can play the original game for 1/5th of that price, and see if I'll even care about the format...thoughts?

Second is better then the first but not like an entirely different game experience or anything. It's worth a try for sure.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BexGu posted:

I wonder if we are every gonna see another game company have the strength, willpower, and dedication to turn a game around like FFXIV ever again. It sure as hell isn't happening with Bioware and Anthem.

The closest example I can think of is Fallout 76, which (imo based solely on the free weekend on Steam) did get brought up to 'basically okay I guess' status.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
No Man's Sky definitely seemed to have recovered a ton from the immense shitstorm around it at launch.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Megasabin posted:

Edit: Are there any modern tower defense games that have co-op or even vs that would be fun for this?

You have Tabletop Simulator yeah?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator. Its the ultimate LAN party game.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I did some of my own research. How are Space Station 13 and Running with Rifles with a group of 7-10 people? They seem like they might be intended for larger groups?

Has anyone played Among Us, Of Guards and Thieves, or Project Winter? They all seem like they were built for LAN-party-esque play.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What about We Need to go Deeper?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

UNFORTUNATELY, this seems to be the switch port, which has lower polygon count across the board, and lower texture resolution as well

Hopefully this wont be the case for PC, because if it is, even with the new features $40 for a "Definitive" edition with worse graphics than the original is unacceptable to me, and I'll wait for modders to do SQEX's work for them before buying it.

It was confirmed to be a straight port of the switch version. If you want the full experience you pay for it in graphical fidelity. Unless you already bought the PC version, then you pay for it twice over to get the full experience and less graphics because a straight switch port isn't enough of a "gently caress you" to customers.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

nessin posted:

It was confirmed to be a straight port of the switch version. If you want the full experience you pay for it in graphical fidelity. Unless you already bought the PC version, then you pay for it twice over to get the full experience and less graphics because a straight switch port isn't enough of a "gently caress you" to customers.

That's nuts. Welp, so much for giving either version a try.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mordja posted:

Hell yeah dude, Overload rocked. One severely underrated game.

I got it on a bundle and not only is it Descent, but I saw on the Ad that it's the same writer who did Free space 2. gently caress me I haven't played descent in almost two and a half decades. Can't wait to try it again.

In contrast, I heard recently that the guys who got the rights to handle the new Descent did so poorly they are being removed from steam. It kinda reminds me that some companies who are doing the homages are doing better than the IP holders.

Blazing Chrome is by every metric a better contra than Konami's garbage rear end rogue corps, Bloodstained has the same comparison

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Overload owns

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Artelier posted:

Quick question, is Batman The Enemy Within Shadows Mode just like...a filter for the look of the game? Because that's what it seems like to me.

It makes it black, grey and red, apparently.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Overload does indeed own, I got it on Twitch Prime back when it gave good games on the reg and it felt like a steal.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

I got it on a bundle and not only is it Descent, but I saw on the Ad that it's the same writer who did Free space 2. gently caress me I haven't played descent in almost two and a half decades. Can't wait to try it again.

In contrast, I heard recently that the guys who got the rights to handle the new Descent did so poorly they are being removed from steam. It kinda reminds me that some companies who are doing the homages are doing better than the IP holders.

Blazing Chrome is by every metric a better contra than Konami's garbage rear end rogue corps, Bloodstained has the same comparison

It has about the same amount of story as the original Descent so I doubt there’s much to get out of the writing but Overload still owns.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think they were ex Star Citizen devs (lol) who first tried launching into Early Access with just multiplayer, then pulled it down with the promise that they'd return with some portion of a singleplayer campaign, then died.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
They also basically sold it for a $1 dollar for charity and royally pissed off the Kickstarter backers and every one that bought it for full price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Kind of a weird request but I'm looking for single-player adventure/role-playing games that my wife and I can co-play together (if that makes sense). She has been abroad for her job for the last year and unfortunately can't come back to the US until likely next year due to COVID-19 travel lockdowns. We're getting bored of syncing up and watching movies together long-distance so I was thinking I'd just stream a game for us via Discord so we can do something different.

She's really into David Lynch, David Cronenberg, Richard Stanley, and Michael Haneke movies so I was thinking something weird like Disco Elysium could work. Any other suggestions for point-and-click/turn-based games that are focused on dialogue and story?