Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Final Station was definitely a game in which I wanted more of the world. It's just such a bleak and utterly hosed setting and I wanted to know more about it. Supposedly the DLC gets more into it but I never got around to getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The Carrion launch trailer came out yesterday and is great (no gameplay but you probably already know what Carrion is if you're here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZENtOGdMkc

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Every platform but PS4 :(

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Heads up, Carrion is on game pass if anyone cares about that sort of thing.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Seems fun so far. Lot better than I expected, honestly

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bloober Team just making their own Silent Hill I guess

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1286342613382070275

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Looks to be set in the team’s own Poland, based on the wall sockets?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This is a super dumb question but is it possible to do pacifist runs of Carrion

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

At the very least, there’s doors locked by mechanical drones that need to be killed. Not yet sure if there’s anything stopping a no human death run

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

it seems like if you just grab a dude and toss them it just stuns them instead of killing them

unless it just plays the screaming sound effects for dead bodies

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

your traversal skills are affected by your body mass so nope, meat is meat and the Thing’s gotta eat

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Resting in your meat cocoons restores your mass, so I guess it still might be possible. It would take a lot of really tedious back-and-forth running, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Did they announce the release date ahead of time? I've been following the game and it feels like they dropped it out of nowhere. (Not that it's a bad thing I wish every game did it.)

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The demo has been out for a long time, and they did announce it at one of the Devolver presentations.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
In the demo I found myself playing Carrion as more of a selective predator. I basically only defended myself from attack and left as many people as I could unscathed. I enjoyed being that monster.

Been looking forward to this game for a long time, but now I am realizing I might be a little annoyed if I am forced to kill indiscrminately. Being a monster is weird.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kokoro Wish posted:

In the demo I found myself playing Carrion as more of a selective predator. I basically only defended myself from attack and left as many people as I could unscathed. I enjoyed being that monster.

Been looking forward to this game for a long time, but now I am realizing I might be a little annoyed if I am forced to kill indiscrminately. Being a monster is weird.

I have it- you don't seem to be forced to kill anyone. It makes me wonder if a full pacifist run is possible, and so far it feels like it might be fun enough that I might go back for that second helping later.

That said, the fact that your bite always snaps the victim in half and you have to manually pick up the other half if you want the healing / growth is pretty amazing gamefeel. You can take a person out in an instant but getting anything more out of it requires a bit more work.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 24, 2020

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Cardiovorax posted:

Resting in your meat cocoons restores your mass
You know I just realized this thread has never had a clever subtitle (as I am not a clever person), requesting the mods fix that and make this the first one

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Bleh, I've managed to come across a ?bug on carrion on the second to last level, that has forced me to restart from scratch because there is not reload from level option. loving frustrating

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What kind of bug? Might help other people avoid it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

What kind of bug? Might help other people avoid it.

On Armored Warfare level when you have to go through the 4 way junction here

, you can get locked out of being able to go the right way if you control a guard from inside the junction and turn a the lever on the right in this area

This wouldn't be an issue, however it will trigger two unopenable doorways in the pathway back to this area from the right direction. Making it impossible to get back through to the correct side. Here

and here

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I think what really sells the impression that you could go through the game with some measure of peacefulness is that you adeptly manipulate switches and doors almost gently. I mean sure, you can rip them off and just hurl them around, but that first moment at the start when I just quietly eased open a door and the lady inside tries to get away, and I just left her alone and disappeared through a roof vent. :discourse:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

An update regarding the transphobia in Deadly Premonition 2: The game actually has a pro equal rights for trans people message, but it's done in a weird way so I can understand exactly what everyone was upset about. Also, I suspect part of the problem was the translation, see unlike English Japanese doesn't have personal pronouns (so no he/him, and no she/her) so when the translation team added those in they kind of did it in some not so great places at times.

So, yeah, Swery is pro trans rights, but also a crazy person who doesn't speak English so the message he tried to say came out kind of weird, I'm not trying to say people where wrong to be perturbed by it I'm just explaining what happened and why to the best of my ability.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Swery is a crazy person seems like the most accurate accounting for him. I know DP and JJ get all the attention, but even Spy Fiction is a deeply hosed up game.

I 100% think he is more crazy than Suda51, but both have a lot in common. Mostly that they have been severely in over their heads since the PS2 era technology wise. That and that I think they work better in a tightly constricted setting. Arguably Suda's best games are visual novels.

Edit: They showed a trailer for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 at the XBOX Games Showcase. No gameplay, but the atmosphere was excellent and the graphics look sharp. Considering how good you can make the original trilogy look still that doesn't surprise me. I'm a huge fan/defender of the franchise, there really is absolutely no other games like them. Hopefully the new one does justice to its predecessors. Freaking strange recognizing a bunch of the locations shown in the trailer.

Maybe it will actually come out in/be patched to a reasonable state this time lmao.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 24, 2020

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I started playing Darkwood on my switch and I’m afraid it might be one of those games with great atmosphere/ideas but plays like rear end. The controls are finicky and awful and while huddling in the dark at night while monsters bang on my windows is creepy it’s also kind of boring. I’m wondering if it’s worth continuing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really wanted to like the idea of darkwood but i had roughly the same experience. Lots of atmosphere but its also kinda boring.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Reposting from Dragging Thread:

Played the Painscreek Killings for a few hours before getting bored, oped for the D-Grade ending, and just watched the true ending on Youtube. The game is a cheesy, low-budget affair made in Unity that feels like it was roughly translated to English from another language, despite the dev-team coming from Nevada.

You play a journalist who has to walk around an abandoned town picking up documents and clues. Often you'll find keys or combinations needed to access other areas. The town is quite big and there's no fast-travel which can lead to a lot of fast-travel across samey environments.

If you have the key to a locked door you can't automatically open it. You have to zoom in on the lock and choose the correct key. This is pretty awkward with a gamepad.

There's a part where I'm looking for a house no.7. There's more than one house no.7 in this town and I had look up a guide to learn it was the one house that burned down and didn't have a number on the door.

I think that if a small company is going to make a first-person 3D game they should try for a simple, clean aesthetic. Having too much extraneous detail just muddies your focus when you're trying to find microscopic clues. It doesn't help that the game looks like the crap levels from Dark Souls 2.

I don't think Painscreek is a good game but I do think there is a lot of untapped potential in its formula. I just think the creators should heed the gameplay considerations of other titles. That way you can cut down on player-frustration and avoid an aimless experience:

In Ace Attorney when you clear out a scene of all possible clues the narration will state they have nothing more to do.

In Resident Evil when you clear a room of all resources and puzzle-pieces it gets color-coded on the map to show

The journal in Obra Dinn and rumor map in Outer Wilds are hugely important parts of the user-interface. Being able to physically see the connection and correlation between events is what makes the act of discovery in those games so compelling.

One last thing is the true ending. The game is a walking-simulator for the first 95% in an empty town with no other NPCs. The moment you find the the very amateur tape-recording of the killer admitting his crimes for no reason, you get chased by the killer. The only way to survive is to chase after a ghost who shows the way. This is a silly and jarring turn since there were no overt supernatural elements until this point, nor was it possible to die.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 24, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ultrachrist posted:

I started playing Darkwood on my switch and I’m afraid it might be one of those games with great atmosphere/ideas but plays like rear end. The controls are finicky and awful and while huddling in the dark at night while monsters bang on my windows is creepy it’s also kind of boring. I’m wondering if it’s worth continuing.

dogstile posted:

I really wanted to like the idea of darkwood but i had roughly the same experience. Lots of atmosphere but its also kinda boring.

Yeah the whole time I was thinking "man why can't someone make this but good".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I loved Painscreek and part of that was because the game had none of the abstractions of modern game design like colored rooms and exhaustive lists of actions. Multiple times it rewarded note taking and using your in-game camera to remember clues. I don't know if I would've enjoyed it in a post-Obra Dinn world, a lot of that enjoyment was being in the right time and place, but I think there is room in the market for investigative games that have a completely hands off approach even if it means the player is fumbling in the dark because that sudden discovery makes a world of difference.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah the whole time I was thinking "man why can't someone make this but good".

Looking up screenshots, it reminds me of Notrium, which is not a particularly interesting fact except that it made me realize Notrium predates the “top-down indie survival” genre by about a decade.

Also I’m want to recommend Kentucky Route Zero to people who haven’t played it. It’s definitely not a horror game but it does have some pretty spooky and unsettling moments. “They’ve invented a new kind of debt” is probably one of the scariest lines in a video game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Teleglitch is cool. It's a top down survival but instead of survive-the-night you're running through brutalist architecture blasting mutants. I've heard it described as top down STALKER with Quake's pacing and honestly that's not far off.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Teleglitch is hard as heck though, in a way that makes it feel actively unfair

That may be the point, but it doesnt feel fun when each time you play you wonder if you're playing it wrong

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Painscreek and Obra Dinn are two of the only games I felt really rewarded upon finishing because you are truly doing the work.

Not sure how many other games out there do that. I started Heavens Vault and that ain’t it, had Her Story sitting around for a while but haven’t had the urge to jump on. I know people come in and ask for Painscreek like games all the time but if they’re out there and I’m missing them please let know.

Note: Kona is supposed to be one but it has a bug that can soft lock you about halfway through and that sucked so I’ve never gone back.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
I loved darkwood and I can't believe that I'm reading someone say they found the night parts boring, those are legit the best parts. Especially if you're going with the difficulties that cut down the number of times you can die before losing completely. And night events are different depending on which hideout you're in, if you're in the third one than good luck buddy you have no room to get bored with several split heads gunning for your rear end while your barricades and hidey holes are being torn down as you're taking glances at the clock hoping you'll hold out.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Darkwood's great and I never doubted that the deal with Deadly Premonition 2 was almost assuredly just going to turn out to be japanese -> english around a very careful subject woes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Carrion is an insanely fun game so far.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If only it had a map or something, because I keep going in circles. It's a bit aggravating.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Try roaring to find the checkpoint things. I haven't really become lost yet, found it quite streamlined.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks, but the problem is more that (at least in the early game) there are a ton of one-way lanes, so whenever I take the wrong turn somewhere, I have to go through the whole loop to get back to where I was.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

blackguy32 posted:

Some interesting stuff about the Alien AI from Alien Isolation in this video. There is also another video that explains stuff as well. I really enjoyed watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7d5lF6U0eQ

From a while back, but this was an incredibly fascinating watch. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Chas McGill posted:

Try roaring to find the checkpoint things. I haven't really become lost yet, found it quite streamlined.

Remember your growl will cause the save points to ping.
I found the exploration flow really nudges you in the correct direction for progress usually, I only got turned around a couple of times. I kept missing doors to change areas since they kind of look like the rest of the background a bit.

Dreadwroth2 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 25, 2020