Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
So you know how the world used to have predictable patterns and stuff?

Yeah that stopped from all the coal and oil we burned so now we're running on a random weather generator that someone coded for a 101 level compsci class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/nhc_atlantic/status/1286535604423991296?s=21

ruh roh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If it's less than a cat3, the texas coast will be fine

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Eight named storms, no 'canes

the zerg rush of storm seasons

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
nature's got great micro

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1286501687134433282

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i say swears online posted:

Houston was last severely damaged by a tropical storm. These storms can do tremendous damage if they decide to park on the coast and rain for a few days straight but yes they he wind will not be an issue.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Lol holy poo poo. Hawaii is so hosed. Like I just Googled Hawaii houses because this thread said they've never been hit with a hurricane and...yep...they're built of wood.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

UnknownTarget posted:

Lol holy poo poo. Hawaii is so hosed. Like I just Googled Hawaii houses because this thread said they've never been hit with a hurricane and...yep...they're built of wood.

Most houses are built out of wood

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

UnknownTarget posted:

lmao

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

This is a extremely bad take. The category system for estimating threat is outdated and inaccurate as it only takes wind speeds into account when it’s flooding that is doing the majority of the damage.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

Most houses are built out of wood

Not in hurricane zones they're not - well, except in America, where everything is built out of the cheapest materials possible, or in hurricane zones where they belong to the extremely poor. Otherwise, it's concrete blocks and rebar.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
further the risk isn't from wind necessarily, the winds will be p mild for a named storm, it's the amount of water that gets dumped onto an already pretty rainy environment with volcanic soils

gonna see a lot of mud and rockslides

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Hawaii has areas that routinely get 20 inches of rain though. it isn’t very flat anywhere.

still we’ve had some bad flooding recently though, like 50 inches of rain.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a big storm in covid times with trump as the arbiter of relief funding will be an economic deathblow to the state

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

don't worry mark suckerberg will be happy to step in and offer economic assistance by buying up more of the islands

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

he can tour them in vr as a cartoon again

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Luneshot posted:

don't worry mark suckerberg will be happy to step in and offer economic assistance by buying up more of the islands

Surely there isn't enough sunscreen in the world?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Sure there's isolated areas of hawaii with microclimates where they get a ton of rain but most of it isn't that one area in the center of the island. I did the dumbo touristy helicopter flight around kauai a few years ago and most of the island was bright and sunny but the place where it gets like 400 inches of rain a year? it had a microclimate pouring rain as we flew by but no where else. We were there for 2 weeks and there were like 2 day time storms near the beach the entire time. And those were short. Like an hour tops. Husband grew up there and he said when he was a kid on ohau they had some tropical storms here and there and even those took out the palm trees.

I think 3 years ago the entire road to hanalei bay got washed out by 20in of rain in 2 days and a bunch of houses too.

I'm severely concerned for Hawaii.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Sure there's isolated areas of hawaii with microclimates where they get a ton of rain but most of it isn't that one area in the center of the island. I did the dumbo touristy helicopter flight around kauai a few years ago and most of the island was bright and sunny but the place where it gets like 400 inches of rain a year? it had a microclimate pouring rain as we flew by but no where else. We were there for 2 weeks and there were like 2 day time storms near the beach the entire time. And those were short. Like an hour tops. Husband grew up there and he said when he was a kid on ohau they had some tropical storms here and there and even those took out the palm trees.

I think 3 years ago the entire road to hanalei bay got washed out by 20in of rain in 2 days and a bunch of houses too.

I'm severely concerned for Hawaii.

The wet side of the big island gets an absolute ton of rain. wind and storm surge would be the concerns from the hurricane there.
Will it weaken further due to cooler waters and maybe volcanoes before hitting the other islands?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

UnknownTarget posted:

Not in hurricane zones they're not - well, except in America, where everything is built out of the cheapest materials possible, or in hurricane zones where they belong to the extremely poor. Otherwise, it's concrete blocks and rebar.

in seismically active areas and areas that get a lotta rain/have lovely soil they don't build houses out of masonry, and it's definitely not due to the cost

for wind damage on the magnitude of a hurricane you're more concerned with your roof staying on, which a masonry house can't really do much more about over one constructed of timber. i also worry about treefall, which again a timber house isn't being outclassed by masonry in any real way

on top of that on the gulf coast you've got to contend with all of the water falling out of the sky and collecting into these big pools called "floods" which is why pier and beam foundations for timber houses are preferred there over masonry, unless you're building on the local high ground

masonry as a residential building material is actually popular in areas of america that are more concerned about half the year being a frozen moonscape outside, ie the northeast and midwest. masonry is also a common building material in ovens like arizona. basically anywhere that basements are a thing. as you can imagine, basements are practically nonexistent in hurricane-prone areas

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

The wet side of the big island gets an absolute ton of rain. wind and storm surge would be the concerns from the hurricane there.
Will it weaken further due to cooler waters and maybe volcanoes before hitting the other islands?

yepppp

we've been to lahaina a few times which is on the wet side of maui and it's just daily high-intensity showers there. i mean they have tropical rainforests in hawaii, those can't really exist without a shitload of rain

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in seismically active areas and areas that get a lotta rain/have lovely soil they don't build houses out of masonry, and it's definitely not due to the cost

for wind damage on the magnitude of a hurricane you're more concerned with your roof staying on, which a masonry house can't really do much more about over one constructed of timber. i also worry about treefall, which again a timber house isn't being outclassed by masonry in any real way

on top of that on the gulf coast you've got to contend with all of the water falling out of the sky and collecting into these big pools called "floods" which is why pier and beam foundations for timber houses are preferred there over masonry, unless you're building on the local high ground

masonry as a residential building material is actually popular in areas of america that are more concerned about half the year being a frozen moonscape outside, ie the northeast and midwest. masonry is also a common building material in ovens like arizona. basically anywhere that basements are a thing. as you can imagine, basements are practically nonexistent in hurricane-prone areas

First of all, masonry is not the same as concrete blocks.

Secondly, the southeastern US is not a seismically active. Your excuse works for Hawaii but not the rest of the US, which is what I was including.

Thirdly, for wind damage and roof removal - houses in the Caribbean are generally constructed of 6-12 inch thick concrete walls with 12 inch wide by 24 inch tall wooden beams sunken into the concrete at the top to prevent roof removal. They are covered with 2 inch thick wood planking and then generally painted smooth.

The walls are constructed of stacked concrete cinderblocks with rebar running down the holes and poured concrete filling up the cavities, creating an incredibly strong structure that's more than just typical stateside masonry.

The US, especially in the gulf coast, builds houses out of bricks and popsicle sticks because it's cheaper and faster. But they're never designed to stand up to hurricanes, unlike other countries that actually respect the environment they're in.

Regarding flooding - if you're in a flood zone, concrete house on concrete blocks.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
New track:

Much worse, you want it to hit big island, no one lives there and it is huge. If it hooks around then the populated islands are gonna get hammered

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UnknownTarget posted:

:crossarms:

Stereotype posted:

New track:

Much worse, you want it to hit big island, no one lives there and it is huge. If it hooks around then the populated islands are gonna get hammered

Yeah that seems bad, but those waters are much cooler than south of the islands so it hopefully won't be as strong?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

UnknownTarget posted:

Secondly, the southeastern US is not a seismically active. Your excuse works for Hawaii but not the rest of the US, which is what I was including.

Thirdly, for wind damage and roof removal - houses in the Caribbean are generally constructed of 6-12 inch thick concrete walls with 12 inch wide by 24 inch tall wooden beams sunken into the concrete at the top to prevent roof removal. They are covered with 2 inch thick wood planking and then generally painted smooth.

The walls are constructed of stacked concrete cinderblocks with rebar running down the holes and poured concrete filling up the cavities, creating an incredibly strong structure that's more than just typical stateside masonry.

The US, especially in the gulf coast, builds houses out of bricks and popsicle sticks because it's cheaper and faster. But they're never designed to stand up to hurricanes, unlike other countries that actually respect the environment they're in.

Regarding flooding - if you're in a flood zone, concrete house on concrete blocks.

what you're describing is called reinforced masonry, it's not some magically expensive building material foreverially out of reach of all of the poverty-stricken gulf coasters - in fact it's an unsuitable building material for much of that region despite being quite cheap

and yeah, timber roofs are generally constructed of wooden rafters and purlins and planking. and yes, those elements do sometimes come apart in extreme wind; but more commonly hurricane-force wind will remove the weather-resistant elements of the roof. the danger isn't your house getting sucked into the sky like the wizard of oz - it's the wind rendering it uninhabitable longer term. it's why blue plastic tarp is everywhere after a big hurricane

also lol concrete block on gulf coast soils or up on piers in a flood-prone region, that is a crazy bad idea what are you even talking about dude

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

i missed this thread!

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1286768324278452225

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Stereotype posted:

New track:

so are pacific hurricanes, given they're north of the equator, typically dumping most of their rain on their eastern front like those in the Atlantic?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

hobbesmaster posted:

Houston was last severely damaged by a tropical storm. These storms can do tremendous damage if they decide to park on the coast and rain for a few days straight but yes they he wind will not be an issue.

yeah i remember from a big one a couple of years ago that a couple of levees came within like a foot from failing entirely and drowning most of the city lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is there still a hurricane hoedown thread?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Somehow I knew Hurricane Hanna would be the first landfall of the season. The alliteration is too good.

Omar is going to be a big, bad one. This is so twitter can go crazy with awful "Omar Coming!" memes. And Hurricane Marco is going to hit south Florida because Marco Rubio exists to be humiliated.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Somehow I knew Hurricane Hanna would be the first landfall of the season. The alliteration is too good.

Omar is going to be a big, bad one. This is so twitter can go crazy with awful "Omar Coming!" memes. And Hurricane Marco is going to hit south Florida because Marco Rubio exists to be humiliated.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Hanna is looking great on satellite. This is going to be a significant event that catches people off guard

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

Hanna is looking great on satellite. This is going to be a significant event that catches people off guard

except for corpus it's almost entirely unpopulated. the chihuahua desert will get a nice bloom out of this though

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

except for corpus it's almost entirely unpopulated. the chihuahua desert will get a nice bloom out of this though

Is that not how you get locusts? Even though the two swarm-forming North American breeds of grasshopper are formally extinct, it would be so 2020 if one of them re-emerged.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what you're describing is called reinforced masonry, it's not some magically expensive building material foreverially out of reach of all of the poverty-stricken gulf coasters - in fact it's an unsuitable building material for much of that region despite being quite cheap

and yeah, timber roofs are generally constructed of wooden rafters and purlins and planking. and yes, those elements do sometimes come apart in extreme wind; but more commonly hurricane-force wind will remove the weather-resistant elements of the roof. the danger isn't your house getting sucked into the sky like the wizard of oz - it's the wind rendering it uninhabitable longer term. it's why blue plastic tarp is everywhere after a big hurricane

also lol concrete block on gulf coast soils or up on piers in a flood-prone region, that is a crazy bad idea what are you even talking about dude

In the Caribbean, the houses are made of concrete. Why is the Gulf Coast different?

Yea, I was wrong on this. In my defense, I thought (think?) he's referring to typical red-brick masonry that's seen in the USA.

UnknownTarget has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Jul 25, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stop trending south you little bitch, come at me

declared a category 1! it's also shifting south even more, heading into king ranch, the least populated area of coastal texas

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 14:35 on Jul 25, 2020

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

There's a new wave in the Atlantic

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

UnknownTarget posted:

In the Caribbean, the houses are made of concrete. Why is the Gulf Coast different?

Yea, I was wrong on this. In my defense, I thought (think?) he's referring to typical red-brick masonry that's seen in the USA.

masonry is generally any kinda stonelike thing that's mortared together - stone, brick, concrete block or cinderblock. you can have unreinforced or reinforced masonry, both are p common and real cheap. the problems with masonry aren't really cost or construction time, it's that it's heavy, it doesn't flex, and it really doesn't get along with water

on the gulf coast it's actually super common to put a masonry facade or "envelope" around part or all of a timber framed structure, kinda like adding super-durable siding. it looks nice and can add some measure of insulation, at the expense of increased maintenance

the weight and inability to flex are issues anywhere that you've got expansive soils, which are soils that tend to move up and down a lot thanks to changes in moisture. even in the desert hellscape of arizona where they don't bother putting gutters on their houses this is an issue (masonry construction is actually common there, they just overdesign their foundations for it)

then you've got flooding. on the gulf coast they like pier and beam construction, which is basically a (timber) house set on a foundation of short stilts. this tends to be much more stable on lovely soil, is much easier to repair, and most importantly gets you up out of the way of floodwater a little bit. a quarter inch of high intensity rainfall over an hour can easily produce a foot of floodwater, having your house four feet off of the ground can save an enormous amount of headache. after katrina people in new orleans and its suburbs in areas that flooded super bad were subsidized for home shoring, and tended to shore their houses like 10 feet into the air if they weren't already

also incidentally for flood design, you don't actually want your structure to be completely watertight even if it's pier and beam. water can basically pick anything up, even concrete block, and move it around. a timber framed pier and beam house can be buoyed off of its piers, but you can probably put it back without too much damage after the flood subsides. a watertight one with just sail away down the street lol

ofc there's plenty of slab foundations on the gulf coast too, as you move away from the coastline and major rivers and stuff, it's where you'll see masonry facades. but that doesn't really matter for wind protection. for hurricane-force winds the greater concern is exposure ie what kinda trees are surrounding you to help absorb all that energy. most hurricanes don't really care what your walls are made of, the "smaller" ones just want to shear your shingles or whatever's covering your roof away - and then when you're getting into cat 4 and cat 5 storms that pull most of the trees outta the ground it still doesn't matter what your house is made of, but for a different reason hah

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UnknownTarget posted:

I’m guessing a Louisiana civil PE knows what masonry and hurricane building standards are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
oh yeah i should probably add that in much of the world timber frame construction is prohibitively expensive

freedomland and our canadian hat both have a shiiiitload of timber - elsewhere, esp in places like the caribbean but even in wealthier areas like say the UK, masonry construction is significantly cheaper even when it's a less suitable structural material thanks to the scarcity of local timber

i'm told that timber frame moves in and out of fashion on the mediterranean coast since it's easier to import there or something and their climate supports that type of construction, but that the expense is still an issue