Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

No it wasn't. It was the Pharisees who paid Judas, and the thirty pieces of silver was a deliberate insult because it was the blood price of a slave.

It's also been pointed out that Pilate had to be pressured into killing Jesus because Jesus hadn't done anything that would demand execution under Roman law. Judas would surely have known that as well, and as such gave Jesus to the Romans thinking that Jesus would at worst be put in his place with a flogging. He killed himself when he realised that he'd betrayed Jesus to his death.

Yeah, I've read the gospels and they pretty clearly paint Jewish society as the culprits behind Jesus' death. There are pages and pages dedicated to Jesus' boring and now basically irrelevant disputes of religious protocol with the Pharisees (effectively the Jewish elders), who are pretty much always the villains in the story. The Romans are treated like more of an institution than anything else. The Romans don't want to execute Jesus, but the Pharisees insist. Then there's the famous bit where the Romans put it to the crowd whether they should release Jesus or Barabbas, and the crowd overwhelmingly chooses Barabbas (which is kind of hilarious as Jesus has supposedly been preaching to groups of enraptured thousands, but apparently the apostles can't actually get any of them to come support him even though they have days to prepare). So this episode arguably makes Jewish society as a whole culpable, rather than just the guys in charge.

The gospels weren't written until decades after Jesus' death, so Christianity was probably significantly less Jewish by then and they also had more axes to grind. Also, to make it a bit relevant here, there's also a lot of this that's similar to party politics. You don't like the opposing party and think they're bad, but your real enemies are in your own party because they're much closer connected to you and the emotions run higher.

Edit: Whoa, what a snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/dansabbagh/status/1286685420022046722

2y8m seems like a lot, must have been a pretty god drat serious assault

How the Sausage is Made:

Healy has been convicted of ABH and affray. There is a separate offence of racially/religiously aggravated ABH, but it doesn't apply here since it was invented in 1998, which is slightly before treating queer people as fully human got any proper traction. However, homophobia can be treated as an aggravating factor at the sentencing phase; the maximum sentence is 5 years for ABH and 3 years for affray.

The court then finds its starting point in the Sentencing Guidelines: ABH guidelines and affray guidelines. The judge has almost certainly found that Healy was the leading participant in the group; other aggravating factors include a sustained assault, use of a weapon equivalent (kicking Jones with a shoe), and so on. This makes it a category 1 high harm/high culpability offence for which the starting point is 1 year 6 months' custody. The judge then moves on to a second list of aggravating factors and likely picks out items such as previous convictions, location and timing of the offence (in public, at 2am), ongoing effect, presence of others, and evidence of community impact; checks the list of potential mitigation and finds bugger-all, and then arrives at a custodial sentence of 2 years 8 months, right at the top end of the sentencing guidelines. Note that the guidelines say that even though the statutory maximum sentence for ABH is five years, the maximum sentence in the sentencing guidelines is 3 years and it will be extremely rare to see anyone go past it. This is one of the many things that happens when nobody actually cares what happens in the justice system because they don't think they'll need it until they need it and don't pay attention to what's going on in it.

The judge then repeats the process for the offence of affray, which brings her to more or less the same place (high harm/high culpability for a Cat 1 offence, significant aggravating factors, no available mitigation), arrives at another, similar sentence; and then applies the totality principle. "If sentencing an offender for more than one offence...consider whether the total sentence is just and proportionate to the offending behaviour." In this case we have an offender who is being sentenced for two offences arising out of the same incident with the same set of facts, which points the judge very strongly to have the sentences for both offences run concurrently. If, say, Healy were being sentenced for assaulting two queer journalists at two different times in different ways, this would potentially point the judge towards consecutive sentencing, or heavier sentences to run concurrently. English courts are specifically encouraged by the totality principle not to do the thing that often happens in America, where they just mindlessly sentence someone to 5 years in prison 20 times over for 20 charges.

Finally, note that most prisoners in England and Wales are eligible for early release after half their sentence. Covid issues aside, Healy will almost certainly serve 1 year 4 months in prison and the remaining 1 year 4 months on licence; he can be recalled to prison if he offends again while on licence, or fails to comply with the terms of his release.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 24, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And how much does a new arm cost?

Cortex-Ms go for a few cents each in bulk :sun:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Trin Tragula posted:

How the Sausage is Made:

Finally, note that most prisoners in England and Wales are eligible for early release after half their sentence. Covid issues aside, Healy will almost certainly serve 1 year 4 months in prison and the remaining 1 year 4 months on licence; he can be recalled to prison if he offends again while on licence, or fails to comply with the terms of his release.

If you plead guilty I think you also get something like a third off your sentence? Not to mention the amount of people who get off with no further investigation. You're more likely to get caught and punished for speeding than you are assaulting someone.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Incidentally, budget 3D printers are now getting perilously close to the hundred-quid mark, and resin printers are now under 200, both more-or-less plug-and-play, and I suspect this might be dropping it into the price range of quite a few of the WORRAMMER types ITT.
Motherfucker do not tempt me, I have way too many designs saved on HeroForge

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just got told that Kuensberg is asking attack questions to Boris right now and criticising him openly for the COVID death toll. What is going on?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Having a bad day maybe?

Maybe he dumped her?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trin Tragula posted:

use of a weapon equivalent (kicking Jones with a shoe), and so on.
english law dot pdf

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

justcola posted:

If you plead guilty I think you also get something like a third off your sentence?

Healy's not eligible (though his co-accused are). He pled guilty to ABH but went for the galaxy brain move of having a Newton hearing so he could deny homophobic aggravation. Unfortunately for him, the police in this case were on the ball, went into his house, and found plentiful evidence of motive. If you lose a Newton hearing, bye-bye early guilty plea discount.

quote:

Not to mention the amount of people who get off with no further investigation. You're more likely to get caught and punished for speeding than you are assaulting someone.

Well, yes. It's relatively easy to prove that a car was being driven over the speed limit, and relatively easy to prove who was driving it at the time. You don't have to go into any difficult questions around proving what was in someone's mind at the time when they were speeding, you just need basic physics. It's also generally very difficult to find suspects who leave without getting stopped. That's just a fact of life.

Guavanaut posted:

english law dot pdf

OK, it sounds silly, but think about this for a moment. Think about how hard you can punch, and how hard you can kick. There's a lot of small bones in the hands and feet; they break very easily if you put enough force through them to hurt someone. Now think about how much padding there is in a shoe, even a light trainer; and think about how many people wear the equivalent level of padding on their hands as a matter of course. This is why MMA fighters, or boxers, wear gloves to fight. Any kind of padding increases the amount of damage you can do to someone.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 24, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mebh posted:

In a fun aside my work told me to take some time off or be forced to be off all of December when it's cold. So I took every single Friday off til Christmas. 4 day work week for the rest of the year woo.

It'll be an interesting proof if I can get all my work done without any problems but I'm willing to bet I won't even be remotely stretched.

Great way to prove to your employer that you don't have enough to do. If they don't have to adjust and cover when you're not around they won't respect you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trin Tragula posted:

a Newton hearing so he could deny homophobic aggravation.
Given the origin there's something ironic there.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

justcola posted:

If you plead guilty I think you also get something like a third off your sentence? Not to mention the amount of people who get off with no further investigation. You're more likely to get caught and punished for speeding than you are assaulting someone.

I disagree with that.
Speeding is something that most motorists (or certain motorists do all the time) everywhere.
It's rarely caught because they don't always do it near speed cameras.

Where as assaults are much rarer. And when they do happen, very often it is near pubs with CCTV or in Domestic Conditions where if there is a court order in place, the cops are called. And in those cases when the Injured Party is willing to press ahead, they will be able to positively identify the accused.

Assaults are definitely something that you are more likely to be caught and punished for.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trin Tragula posted:

OK, it sounds silly, but think about this for a moment. Think about how hard you can punch, and how hard you can kick. There's a lot of small bones in the hands and feet; they break very easily if you put enough force through them to hurt someone. Now think about how much padding there is in a shoe, even a light trainer; and think about how many people wear the equivalent level of padding on their hands as a matter of course. This is why MMA fighters, or boxers, wear gloves to fight. Any kind of padding increases the amount of damage you can do to someone.
I'm not criticizing it as a concept, it's fair that kicking someone with toecap boots is treated more seriously than kicking someone with plimsolls, which I guess in turn is worse than doing it in socks, but the wording of 'weapon equivalent' is incredibly english law dot pdf, because it carries the implication that you're somehow arming yourself by not taking your shoes off first in a drunken attack. Which I guess you are but only via a mentally tortuous route.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you get drunk while wearing Heelies does English law consider it the equivalent of operating a vehicle drunk?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

sassassin posted:

Great way to prove to your employer that you don't have enough to do. If they don't have to adjust and cover when you're not around they won't respect you.

I don't have enough to do but I'm doing significantly more than a lot of others. They keep giving me tasks and going "aha! Now you'll be busy for... What do you mean you finished it? Honestly it's all about attention to detail and not rushing things out, yes these are all perfect but you must take more time and relax or you'll burn out"

I honestly got told before covid to take more time to sit around and think, go chat to people in the kitchen, or go read on one of the sofas. Like... I'm a designer, sure. I need thinking time but gently caress off if you think I'm going to go fanny about with a cup of tea on the sofa by the coders while they're blocked waiting for my work.

UK games industry is odd.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm not a biblical schollar but I thought a lot of the stuff about the evil Jews tricking the Romans into executing jesus was added around the time Rome was converting to Christianity and earlier tellings were more straightforwardly 'bad romans killed christ'.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Anyone have Space Nukes for July?

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1286270855429971968?s=19

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

trueanon on novara at 8!

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mr Phillby posted:

I'm not a biblical schollar but I thought a lot of the stuff about the evil Jews tricking the Romans into executing jesus was added around the time Rome was converting to Christianity and earlier tellings were more straightforwardly 'bad romans killed christ'.

No, all the gospels (written in the last decades of the first century or soon after) try to exonerate Pilate. Later writers had less incentive to, than people who wanted to persuade pagan Roman authorities of their own harmlessness.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Trin Tragula posted:

How the Sausage is Made:

Thanks for this good and informative post!

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Just wanted to show some appreciation for the legal effortposts.

I saw that, but the rebuttal seems to be that he was cool with it up until the point he discovered he was blamed for some stuff and the report was leaked, so who knows.

I know there was some noise about the probity of Whatsapp searches etc, so it was interesting that they were apparently requested by the EHRC.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's still kinda weird to me that the government can just decide to investigate the opposition for human rights crimes when it's politically convenient for them. Normally that's the sort of thing that you associate with tinpot dictatorships.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Fudge arrived, it was packed well. The wife was very confused at the concept of me buying something nice for myself simply because I wanted it! Very noist.

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

I have fudge.

It's good fudge.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

justcola posted:

If this was the Blitz they'd be having their curtains open every night and putting christmas lights all over their houses. I think this is a cultural thing over anything else, half a century of media idolising the maverick and the individual, the rolling back of the state and importance placed on 'self starting' and survival.

This is from way back, almost as long ago as the Gospels, but....that's what happened in the Blitz. All violent crime went up during the blackout. People looted from bombed-out buildings, sometimes before the search and rescue was complete. The black market thrived and people knowingly bought stolen food and books of forged ration coupons. You can argue that people's first priority is to take care of their family, but when people invoke the 'Blitz Spirit' they don't mean neighbours pulling old Mr Smith from the rubble and helping themselves to his pocketwatch.

The photos of cheery women taking shelter on Tube platforms are misleading: the government initially refused to allow people to shelter down there, in case they wouldn't come up again and go to work in the factories for fear of bombing raids. Instead the government tried to get them to shelter in hastily-built concrete public shelters that had an unfortunate habit of collapsing with a direct hit. These deeply unpatriotic factory cannon fodder instead chose to break into the Underground anyway. They spent miserable nights with poor lighting, inadequate sanitation and an oppressive airless heat from so many people crowding into a poorly-ventilated space. The only reason those photos exist is because Churchill conceeded he'd have to go with his second choice plan of permitting poor people to Not Die during bombing raids.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I thought time magazine was bought by the moonies or some such?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
No wonder they're worried then

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What I want (theoretically) is to generate a bottle which has a profile that can be modelled by a mathematical curve like the bottom math figure in the image so the 3D bottle represents that curve rotated 2pi radians around the x-axis so a student could fill the bottle with water, measure the volume and convince themselves of the accuracy of the calculation (within the limits of the thickness of the bottle sides. (I'm doing a teaching maths a-level course and have to come up with some practical ways to help students understand the maths.)
So not being experienced in the ways of 3D printers, I was asking whether it is possible to put in an equation in some form or other and have it create the object.
And now I just thought, if it can only generate a solid object, then that could be used as a form to make, say, a clay bottle.

(This is at present a theoretical exercise I don't actually have to make this thing!)

That whiskey sour glass posted by Guavanaut looks useful.

I guess another possibility is to get a selection of glasses, draw the profiles and attempt to figure out a close-fitting equation to the same end so 3D printers not necessary.

you can do this with blender (which is free and incredibly good at the same time!)

Turn on the Extra Objects add-on/plugin in the Preferences (it's included just not on by default)

That gives you this Add menu option

I don't know nothin about equations beyond the basics, using this things to make actual 3D objects is way beyond me, but I worked out how to make a drat curve
Basically stick your formula in the Z, Y is the green axis (along) and X is the red (out) and just put u and v in those ok!

U step is gonna be your detail on the curve, how much it actually curves since we're really modelling with straight edges in the end. You can tweak this later but may as well do it here to be more accurate. V step is set to 1 because we don't need it (it's how many pieces the curve is extended out into a solid object along the X, one piece thx)

Then you go into Edit mode on the resulting mesh and grab those extended points so you can delete them (if V step was higher there'd be loads)

you want to delete the set that's offset out along the X because we want to spin the others around the origin, so we want them at x=0

Still in edit mode (so the object origin, the big orange dot, stays in the same place - we're rotating around it) shift all them vertices up away from the axis - I've gone up 2 units here. Yes that's metres I didn't bother changing it

Then you add a Screw modifier to basically spin it into a solid surface. Needs to be around the Y axis, 360 degrees, and the number of steps is how smooth it is (same deal as the resolution on the curve). I left it very low :grin:

I thought I took a pic of where I applied it and then closed the bottom, but I guess not! You select all the vertices around the bottom, extrude and scale to 0, and merge them into a single point, is one way to do it.

Then you add a Solidify modifier

The -1 offset means you're entirely adding thickness outwards, so the internal volume doesn't change

and that's about it! I added a subsurf modifier (ensmoothens the detail by adding more points) to show what it would look like if you actually used higher step values when creating the curve and spinning it

I know you probably have no idea what the hell half of that meant, but hopefully the process looks manageable enough that you might want to learn! It's pretty simple once you get the basics and that there is really a recipe for making a curve and then spinning it into a solid shape. And it's free which is good for students. Dunno if any CAD packages will do it more easily though

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Got my fudge, baked it on the M1 for a few hours, now with family down south and it tastes amazing, and not even that melted :)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Will order fudge again, not sure if i can afford it this coming month but will definitely do it again!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lady Demelza posted:

This is from way back, almost as long ago as the Gospels, but....that's what happened in the Blitz. All violent crime went up during the blackout. People looted from bombed-out buildings, sometimes before the search and rescue was complete. The black market thrived and people knowingly bought stolen food and books of forged ration coupons. You can argue that people's first priority is to take care of their family, but when people invoke the 'Blitz Spirit' they don't mean neighbours pulling old Mr Smith from the rubble and helping themselves to his pocketwatch.

The photos of cheery women taking shelter on Tube platforms are misleading: the government initially refused to allow people to shelter down there, in case they wouldn't come up again and go to work in the factories for fear of bombing raids. Instead the government tried to get them to shelter in hastily-built concrete public shelters that had an unfortunate habit of collapsing with a direct hit. These deeply unpatriotic factory cannon fodder instead chose to break into the Underground anyway. They spent miserable nights with poor lighting, inadequate sanitation and an oppressive airless heat from so many people crowding into a poorly-ventilated space. The only reason those photos exist is because Churchill conceeded he'd have to go with his second choice plan of permitting poor people to Not Die during bombing raids.

Do you have any decent links for this?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

baka kaba posted:

you can do this with blender (which is free and incredibly good at the same time!)

I know you probably have no idea what the hell half of that meant, but hopefully the process looks manageable enough that you might want to learn! It's pretty simple once you get the basics and that there is really a recipe for making a curve and then spinning it into a solid shape. And it's free which is good for students. Dunno if any CAD packages will do it more easily though

Thanks for all that. I'll check out this 'blender' and see what I can make of it!

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's not clear. But the media seem to be picking up on the fighting fund and going nutso accusing the 'hard left' of going nuts and destroying Labour. Haven't read much of it, just seeing the headlines on google.

What is interesting is that the number of donations is approx half the number of 'shares'. That seems a prettty good return on sharing to me!

Seems like destroying Labour is a worthwhile goal at this point?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The Question IRL posted:

Assaults are definitely something that you are more likely to be caught and punished for.

I have a wee job working at a solicitors. The amount of stuff that goes through to court is minimal in respect of what people are initially charged for. They are more likely to chase up drug dealing than they are any other crime. Domestic violence and rape almost never get charged and seem to take years to process, whilst a drug conviction can turn around in just a few weeks. Most of the stuff that goes to trial tends to be PWITS, then S47 assaults and public order offences, then theft and burglary and everything else just being on the backburner.

At least that seems to be the case in my neck of the woods, I know there's a few other legal goons ITT so they will know more than me. But I can see how what is happening against what is reported can be quite different.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Disnesquick posted:

Seems like destroying Labour is a worthwhile goal at this point?

Emailed a comrade earlier who is staying in the party at the moment and an extremely hard worker (foot slogging, canvassing, stall personning, leafleting etc) and donor to the party, he just replied to say he's finding it very difficult and feeling powerless.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd love for the actual socialist Labour MP's to split off and form the Socialist Labour Party and bring some of the unions with them so at least we could have a party that wasn't openly working to prevent change for the better. I'd join that in an instant. Destroying the rotten corpse of the Labour Party would be a welcome side effect.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

It's always illuminating to read contemporary accounts written either in private or from a position free of censorship and public pressure to see how the modern image of the 'Blitz Spirit' and everyone knuckling down, making do, mending, going without and being chipper and uncomplaining to Thrash The Hun is...at best...not the complete story:

(From a sailor on the Atlantic convoys, written in 1942)

quote:

The cases are fewer now, but still they come: food-wasters, black-market buyers and thieves, people wangling goods in excess of quota, people taking God-knows-what profit on the sale and re-sale of things they had hardly heard of in peacetime. Imagine what bloody fools we feel, knowing that a convoy of what we thought vital supplies has really gone to the comfort and profit of such people: the comfort of stupid folk who cannot visualize the price in blood of what they are wasting, the profit of assorted vermin who see, in a shipload of necessaries, only the chance of a squeeze.

I once overhead, at a restaurant table next to mine, one favoured citizen say to another: "I'd have cleaned up another clear thousand quid if I'd held on till the end of the month." Held on to what? Not to a section of front-line trench, I'll bet...It was almost certainly some necessary or other, delivered to his doorstep by the valour and endurance of brave men. Back from a rough convoy, it makes the food stick in your throat. Is such a man concentrating on winning the war? Who is he trying to beat? It doesn't sound like Hitler. And yet the game goes on - checked at one point, slopping over at another: the goods are passed from hand to hand, the margin grows, the money involved gets bigger and dirtier. If ever men should be singled out and shot for looting, these are the prime candidates.

You can understand how it looks to sailors: these men are rats, and we are the saps who keep them alive. And ten such men are not worth the right arm of a Merchant Navy survivor picked off a raft in mid-Atlantic.

Petrol-wranglers, like traitors, merit a special hell. Probably enough has been written about the hazards of bringing an oil-tanker across the Atlantic, and the fate of the ones that don't make it, to establish the background and impress it on the dullet mind. None of it has been exaggerated: tankers are dynamite and their crews are heroes of a particular quality.

What then, is one to make of people who license their private cars as taxis, in order to get extra coupons: who obtain additional petrol to attend church on Sunday and then don't go: who play golf by taxi (an isolated bit of lunacy, this): who drive hundreds of miles to a race-meeting already served by special trains: who treat petrol as if it could be got from a tap? What sort of men are they? Stupid? Incurably selfish? Traitorous? Do they feel clever when they've got their extra whack? Does it give them a sense of power to know that men, foolishy valorous, have fought and perished in hundreds, just to keep their cars ticking over sweetly?

That last bit - their descendants still very much walk among us today (without masks).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

This is all mostly correct (one great trick was to steal an ARP hat and armband and get passers-by to help you load all the stuff out of a bomb-damaged house onto a cart for "safekeeping"), but they didn't need to break into the Underground - you could buy a platform ticket for half a penny, and as long as you didn't obstruct the platform there was gently caress-all they could do.

I've still got a draft of an effortpost about the London deep-level shelters that I keep staring at for ten minutes then getting distracted and doing something else, but I thought I'd share at least this picture of the Dahar Insaat-tastic "Morrison Shelter" for houses without access to a basement, or a large enough garden for an Anderson Shelter:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Holy poo poo its the 1940's hell bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And after the war is over you can use it to keep rabbits.

justcola posted:

I have a wee job working at a solicitors. The amount of stuff that goes through to court is minimal in respect of what people are initially charged for. They are more likely to chase up drug dealing than they are any other crime. Domestic violence and rape almost never get charged and seem to take years to process, whilst a drug conviction can turn around in just a few weeks. Most of the stuff that goes to trial tends to be PWITS, then S47 assaults and public order offences, then theft and burglary and everything else just being on the backburner.
And if they're ever inconvenienced by, say, an absence of any actual drugs, they can always go for conspiracy.

Prohibition is one of the biggest most life ruining rackets we've got going at the moment. Probably more even than austerity, given how long it's been going on for. Less than capitalism in general, but part and parcel of the same.