Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Loucks posted:

I was being a drunk jerk. you were forming plurals with an apostrophe, which is typically called the “greengrocer’s apostrophe.” Probably some class bullshit wrapped up in there, but it can create ambiguity.

Oh yeah now I get it :doh:
I remember there was a chapter in Eats Shoots and Leaves pretty much devoted to that. It does cheese me off as well.

Didn't Donny Jr's book title have that exact problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://www.retaildive.com/news/simon-property-group-authentic-brands-bid-305m-for-brooks-brothers/582255/

Mall property owners are now so desperate they're buying failing retail companies just to keep them in malls:

quote:

Retailers and landlords often find themselves in contention, and the pandemic has pitted one against the other over unpaid rent on stores ringing up little to no sales. Increasingly, though, retailers are getting owned by their landlords — literally.
That is, mall developers, notably Simon Property Group and fellow commercial property owner Brookfield, have stepped up more than once to acquire distressed retailers in order to salvage their business and the ability to pay. In February this year, partnering with Authentic Brands and Brookfield, and again through a stalking horse bid in bankruptcy court, Simon bought fast-fashion retailer Forever 21. Before that, in 2016, a consortium of landlords including Simon joined ABG in acquiring apparel retailer Aeropostale. Simon and Brookfield are also reportedly interested in acquiring bankrupt department store J.C. Penney.
It's unclear how far shoring up tenants in order to salvage their rent will go in saving malls, however. Mall vacancy rates were rising before the pandemic, which is seen as accelerating the closure of the anchor retailers that are critical for mall traffic and determine leasing arrangements for other tenants. While malls are now reopening after the forced closures earlier this year, consumers remain wary of shopping indoors as the disease outbreak endures and even worsens in some areas.
Moreoever, the property owners can't buy all the retailers, so instead are heading to court to collect rent. Simon Property Group and Brookfield have taken the likes of Gap to court over unpaid rent. Nordstrom last month warned its landlords not to expect full rent payments for the rest of the year. Mall owner CBL is said to be prepping a bankruptcy of its own as the situation takes a toll.

Finally someone's speaking up about the real victims in all this, the corporations being abused by other corporations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Loucks posted:

I was being a drunk jerk. you were forming plurals with an apostrophe, which is typically called the “greengrocer’s apostrophe.” Probably some class bullshit wrapped up in there, but it can create ambiguity.

Just to point it out: spelling based on rules learned in school and not on simple sound-to-letter relationships are a way to signify how educated you are with very little other communicative benefit. English is, unsurprisingly, extremely full of dumb spelling and arbitrary rules and exceptions. All apostrophes are poo poo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It might actually help if the retailers only have to fight the economy now, and not also their private equity tapeworms.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

Reminder that Sears actually had the same idea, and invested heavily in it early on, and could easily be what Amazon is now if Eddie Lampert hadn't turned the company into his own weird libertarian fiefdom experiment.

i don't know that sears would ever have had the idea to sell their infrastructure as a service though, i think they would have remained a simple online retailer, and google and microsoft would be the big two infrastructure names now

(although tbh microsoft would have absolutely hosed that up somehow so i don't know who the other name would be)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

Reminder that Sears actually had the same idea, and invested heavily in it early on, and could easily be what Amazon is now if Eddie Lampert hadn't turned the company into his own weird libertarian fiefdom experiment.

the story of sears really is some of the purest capitalism.txt around

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

BonHair posted:

Just to point it out: spelling based on rules learned in school and not on simple sound-to-letter relationships are a way to signify how educated you are with very little other communicative benefit. English is, unsurprisingly, extremely full of dumb spelling and arbitrary rules and exceptions. All apostrophes are poo poo.

prescriptivist vs descriptivist arguments should be bannable imo

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Centrist Committee posted:

the story of sears really is some of the purest capitalism.txt around

Ayn Rand is definitely top 3 on my time travel hit list.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

English is, unsurprisingly, extremely full of dumb spelling and arbitrary rules and exceptions. All apostrophes are poo poo.

Literally has meant figuratively for hundreds of years, and people have been complaining about it not meaning figuratively for almost as long, and pointing this out makes a certain kind of person real mad which is funny.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

you are hitler, both literally and figuratively

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Subjunctive posted:

It might actually help if the retailers only have to fight the economy now, and not also their private equity tapeworms.

The US's final invention: The Rent Seeking Missile.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

The US's final invention: The Rent Seeking Missile.

Isn't that already just the military industrial complex?

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

Guess you're not going to go well with branch stacking and then becoming an indi then.
:auspol:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1286288391051415557

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Them being forbidden to discuss which employees have covid and requiring them to say they're on "vacation" for two weeks isn't the park's sinister plot, it's how HIPAA works.

Regardless though don't go to a fuckin' theme park right now you idiots.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Shame Boy posted:

why do u hate america

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

why do u hate america

I live in Florida, which is reason enough to hate America even when there's not a global pandemic.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
INCREDIBLE VALUE!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

Them being forbidden to discuss which employees have covid and requiring them to say they're on "vacation" for two weeks isn't the park's sinister plot, it's how HIPAA works.

As far as I understand it, the employer telling other employees someone is on sick leave doesn't fall under HIPAA.

And Disney is stopping employees from disclosing their illness themselves, so they're certainly being sinister.

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 06:37 on Jul 25, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

a halifax gibbet deals with all sorts of things well imo

necroid
May 14, 2009

lol is that real

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

necroid posted:

lol is that real

yes.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I had to come in to work briefly on a saturday today and my office has taken this opportunity of most of us working from home to do some building renovations and they're redoing stuff to be as contactless as possible. So the bathrooms got motion sensored soap and water dispensers and air hand dryers, which is great.

But if you're going to do motion sensor light switches in a bathroom with no windows, be a doll and give us more than 5 minutes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hand dryer? More like “corona blaster”.

necroid
May 14, 2009

yikes!

Scary! Too
Apr 10, 2020

Brap

https://mobile.twitter.com/sftechworker/status/1287020239608098822

Fash think irony and jokes are stating your actual intentions and beliefs

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

"S.F. Tech Worker"

lmfao. now THAT'S a joke.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Scary! Too posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sftechworker/status/1287020239608098822

Fash think irony and jokes are stating your actual intentions and beliefs

What Sartre said about fascists hiding behind irony, except now when you're rich and epic enough you can have reply guys to do the whole "it's just a prank bro" routine on your behalf

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Hand dryer? More like “corona blaster”.

I once walked into the bathroom at a grocery store to take a piss, and as I was going to wash my hands I saw a guy go directly from a stall to shove his hands in the airblade and then leave

I had always thought of those things as about as bad as licking the floor but lmao

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

I once walked into the bathroom at a grocery store to take a piss, and as I was going to wash my hands I saw a guy go directly from a stall to shove his hands in the airblade and then leave

I had always thought of those things as about as bad as licking the floor but lmao

Handwash chat always reminds me of the co-worker who went in the trees to take a leak and I commented on him not washing his hands to which he responded with the age-old "uhh I didn't piss on my hands!" to which I retorted "yeah but you wash your hands after taking a poo poo, don't you, and you don't poo poo on your hands do you?" and he was all "duhhhh yeah but when I take a piss I don't shove my fingers in my bumhole" and that, finally, was the argument which shut me up but probably not for the reason he thought, and don't you wish this wasn't just one sentence?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pissing on your hands or not aside. You touch all sorts of other gross poo poo all the time. Washing your hands is a good thing to do even if you're not just post toilet trip.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Inceltown posted:

Pissing on your hands or not aside. You touch all sorts of other gross poo poo all the time. Washing your hands is a good thing to do even if you're not just post toilet trip.

Yeah sure thing Stalin, did u forget this is a free country??!?! :rolleyes:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The first rule in Coolio's surprisingly good cookbook is to always wash your hands. You want to be like Coolio, don't you?!?!?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My dick is probably significantly cleaner than my hands, it's not out touching stuff all day. By touching it when I go to the bathroom I'm probably transferring some of the bacteria from my hands onto it, making my hands cleaner :colbert:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Inceltown posted:

lol you believe in germ theory. you ever see a germ? yeah didn’t think so

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
my dick gets covered in sweat cause I’m a fatty with swampy balls

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

my dick gets covered in sweat cause I’m a fatty with swampy balls

Yeah that happens to me too but I just stick it in the airblade and it dries right up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/1287190631861727232?s=21

lol owned. loving anarchists