Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PriorMarcus posted:

Is Gorgo actually available to watch or buy anywhere? I loved it as a kid, and saw it long before I saw any Godzilla film.

You can watch it free with ads on Tubi. It's also probably like on Dailymotion or whatever too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://youtu.be/epgXuMB1sF8

Not as good as Shin Godzilla, but entertaining.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He better think Kaiju movies are cinema

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

how dare marty now i am GLAD dances with wolves beat goodfellas

(That hurt to say as even as a joke.)

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

CelticPredator posted:

He better think Kaiju movies are cinema

my guess is that he probably respects Ishiro Honda for his work with Kurosawa but has zero interest in kaiju films, generally speaking

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

my guess is that he probably respects Ishiro Honda for his work with Kurosawa but has zero interest in kaiju films, generally speaking

You'd think that, but no.

https://www.facebook.com/IshiroHond...76225129235189/

Dude knew talent

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6648-godzilla-s-conscience-the-monstrous-humanism-of-ishiro-honda

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

:doh: I forgot he wrote the foreword to that book.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Marty has talked about being a kid and seeing King Kong on the family tv and being absolutely entranced by the fights between Kong and the dinos, or how he held little Fay Wray in the palm of his hand, the whole spectacle of the thing. That dude will find the art in anything if it’s there.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

Is Gorgo actually available to watch or buy anywhere? I loved it as a kid, and saw it long before I saw any Godzilla film.

I believe it is on Amazon Prime in the UK. Some Godzilla films are on there too but they're in an absolute state (cropped and stretched) and should be avoided.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I did it, I bought the Criterion Godzilla set.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Congrats on your good decision.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Gripweed posted:

You shan't be disappointed. It has some amazing packaging and the HD transfers are excellent.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

:toot:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If I get the Gamera set too that'll be most of my watch list for this October Challenge done.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Where's the goon who was assembling that giant Godzilla model that was a subscription to a Japanese magazine? I wanna see progress pics if Covid didn't shut the whole thing down

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

brocked posted:

Where's the goon who was assembling that giant Godzilla model that was a subscription to a Japanese magazine? I wanna see progress pics if Covid didn't shut the whole thing down

It’s me. I haven’t been building as I was going to wait to do it at the end. Unfortunately I have to stop the entire project as I’m out of work and the combination of the cost of each piece and the now outrageous shipping from Japan is no longer feasible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

More toy spoilers for Gozilla vs Kong

As well as the Godzilla and Kong we expect, there will also be a "Giant Godzilla" and a "Giant Kong". Whether these are new forms of the standard characters or wholly separate characters is unclear

https://i.imgur.com/pdmiZRU.jpg

Violator
May 15, 2003

Could that just be referencing the size of the toy?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Gripweed posted:

As well as the Godzilla and Kong we expect, there will also be a "Giant Godzilla" and a "Giant Kong". Whether these are new forms of the standard characters or wholly separate characters is unclear

Or just a different scale.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I guess we'll have to wait to see the movie to find out

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
First act of the movie is Godzilla vs Kong, the second is the real villain but he's too big, third act is the humans figuring out how to make Godzilla and Kong even bigger and the final battle.

The effort to make Godzilla and Kong big will naturally be referred to as Project Jet Jaguar.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 25, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I say it’s Kong sitting on G’s shoulders so they form Mecha Shiva

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kong riding Godzilla into battle against Mecha King Ghidorah wielding axes made from Godzilla's spines he shed so Kong could ride him comfortably

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

This is just the size of the toy. The smaller ones are basic, the giant ones are the deluxe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

This is just the size of the toy. The smaller ones are basic, the giant ones are the deluxe.

Any of us could be right. We will find out when the movie comes out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Godzilla-King-of-the-Monsters-24-Action-Figure/174798862
https://www.thetoyinsider.com/toys/giant-size-godzilla/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gripweed posted:

Any of us could be right. We will find out when the movie comes out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/reiyashi/status/1287007012430249986

Oh, my.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Nah Gripweed is right and those just reference the key scenes in the movie when Godzilla uses his full power level like in Power Rangers. The monsters always get big at the end.

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
I've recently decided to watch more kaiju films instead of just going "godzilla's rad" from a distance. I started with the original 54 film, and it owned. A completely amazing movie besides one or two goofy shots of Godzilla himself. I knew going in that it was more a horror movie than the others, but I didn't realize to what extent, and holy drat is Godzilla scary. Great movie, fully intend on rewatching it and checking out the king of the monsters version sometime soon.

Next, I checked out the original Mothra movie. A fun movie! An enjoyable human cast, the villain was just the right type of piece of poo poo for type of film, and Mothra is, as always, cool. Even though she killed a lot of people in this one? But that's fine, we all make mistakes. Not as good of a movie as Godzilla, but still a entertaining time.

And theeeeeeeeen my friend convinced me to watch the first of the Godzilla anime trilogy. We're still friends, somehow. Mostly because he let me know going in it was awful and just wanted to make fun of it with some other friends of ours and BOY WAS THAT AWFUL. Half of it was boring technobabble, the other half were boring actions scenes that amounted to little more than a bunch of flies buzzing around a godzilla who just stood there, all connected by a boring cast of humans (and aliens, I guess) who had little actual character with one of the most unlikable MCs I have seen in a long while. Simply terrible. I'm excited, in the bad way, to watch the other two later.

So in short giant monster movies own when they're not anime and mothra is my friend.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the idea with Mothra in the original film is that she is a capitol G GOD in the Old Testament Sense, who will gently caress your poo poo up if you so much as think about doing harm to her or her people. The intention, the twist of the film, was to make a kaiju film where the kaiju won. No bullshit, no tragedy, humanity did wrong and Mothra slapped their poo poo down and made them smell it.

She got a lot nicer later on, but early Mothra isn't having any of humanity's bullshit nor can they stop her. They can stop Godzilla, they can stop Rodan, they can't stop her. This is why, in Mothra VS Godzilla 1964, after the military has failed, going to her is their last resort. It is literally appealing to God to save them all.

Also, the anime movies do not exist and are not worth watching, they are without question the worst thing in the franchise, which is an impressive goddamn feat. But they're the worst things for the worst of reasons. That boring bullshit? That never gets better. That's it. That's the entire trilogy. It only goes down from there.

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
You know I was too busy making "has mothra found Jesus?" jokes to notice it, but the movie makes that incredibly clear with the cross scene, directly comparing her to God in a way. And nothing humanity does in the film to her results in anything but slowing down the larva form once, and when she goes into moth form she doesn't stop for even a moment. Man Mothra's so cool.

And yeah honestly if it wasn't for the fact I'll be watching them with friends I wouldn't even bother with the other two. In fact I probably would have stopped watching the first one when it did "main character see a vehicle with family in it explode tragically" two times in five minutes. That's sad but not in the way they intended.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The anime movies aren't bad.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

No, they're horrible.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

with the caveat that I've only seen each of the anime movies once, and I'm not particularly fond of or well-versed in anime as a medium, I will say that only watching the first of the three Godzilla animes will definitely give you the wrong impression. They get better as they go along, and Planet Eater (the third one) genuinely has some of the better stuff the franchise has put out in the past decade or three.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 26, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

McSpanky posted:

No, they're horrible.

Even worse, they're boring.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Even worse, they're boring.

Yes, deeply. Perhaps the most impressive dullness is wasting the concept of a biosphere developed entirely from Godzilla's cast-off biomass.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

On reflection, I can understand why people wouldn't like the anime trilogy. Right off the bat it's relentlessly, ridiculously grim. And then it goes on to have a very blatant message, it's just flat out stated that any technological society eventually creates a Godzilla to destroy it. And the whole point of the trilogy is the characters discover that to fight against that is suicidal at best, monstrously dehumanizing at middle, monstrously nihilistic at worst. The happy end is that humanity can continue, but not on humanity's terms.

Yeah when I think about it it makes sense that Godzilla: Industrial Society and Its Future isn't a big crowd pleaser.

But I liked them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
That description sounds way better than what I witnessed in the show.