Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Blue Moonlight posted:

Tag yourself: I’m the guy running around with his hands on his head in disbelief

I'm the happy giggling child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Doublepost somehow, whoops

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I’m the bag of hot air.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Blue Moonlight posted:

Tag yourself: I’m the guy running around with his hands on his head in disbelief

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://twitter.com/bust2nut/status/1181733188311425027

Two hands on hips = ah gently caress

Two hands on head = oh gently caress

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’m the bag of hot air.

Okay but what about the video?

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I'm the unexpected joyride.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

At some point in the video that guy's inner dialogue goes from "oh poo poo how do I get this rope off my ankle" to "oh poo poo I hope this rope stays on my ankle"

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

aphid_licker posted:

At some point in the video that guy's inner dialogue goes from "oh poo poo how do I get this rope off my ankle" to "oh poo poo I hope this rope stays on my ankle"
I think he's done the whole maths of the situation before he even starts screaming, holy poo poo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Piss Meridian posted:

So why weren't you using a gas meter in a confined space?

As noted i wasn't thinking, but more specifically, the contributing factors to my inattention were:

• i was talking full time college classes on top of working 50+ hrs/week on the night shift
  • we'd already been on site for six hours so i was p exhausted
  • it was the last shot of the night so i was in "let's knock this out and go home ASAP" mode
  • my mind was on how much more time was left to hand develop the film, give the report/findings, then return to the shop to sign equipment back in before driving the half hour back home
  • it was 1am and I'd already been to classes then work without rest
  • Because it was so late, the boat construction crew was minimal and i don't think they even had a safety guy there to say anything (it sure didn't get reported)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm the guy kicking(?) at a hot air balloon tiedown rope as it flies into the air.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Green Intern posted:

I'm the guy kicking(?) at a hot air balloon tiedown rope as it flies into the air.

I think it was going past his legs so he was jumping to not get grabbed like the other guy.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/JE8TGWn.gifv

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/3TZeUqF.mp4

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

loving hell. Half a second more of driving forward and that driver would have been obliterated.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/sagrG3w.mp4

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Jesus that was intentional, what the gently caress

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PinheadSlim posted:

Probably staring at their phone.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Not necessarily: Target Fixation

quote:

Target fixation is an attentional phenomenon observed in humans in which an individual becomes so focused on an observed object (be it a target or hazard) that they inadvertently increase their risk of colliding with the object.

The real OSHA is trusting meat to control metal.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The real crime is that fuckin pedestrian crossing, if that is even supposed to be one

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

aphid_licker posted:

The real crime is that fuckin pedestrian crossing, if that is even supposed to be one

I dont think that halfway point is supposed to be used as one, just looks like a middle barrier

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

The real crime is piloting your velocipede half-way across the road against a red light.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

PinheadSlim posted:

Honestly, I was wincing the moment he stopped and his wheels were sort of sticking out into the traffic lanes. I figured he’d get clipped - not that he’d get plowed through while the vehicle jumps the curb.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://v.redd.it/ivjp5868evc51/DASH_480.mp4

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

MutantBlue posted:

The real crime is piloting your velocipede half-way across the road against a red light.

no, you shouldn't run people over because you got a text

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

I don't think it's a cell phone thing. I think it's what Hellespud mentioned. They were staring at the cyclist to make sure they don't hit them, but then they subconsciously steer towards where they are looking and end up hitting him.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think it's a cell phone thing. I think it's what Hellespud mentioned. They were staring at the cyclist to make sure they don't hit them, but then they subconsciously steer towards where they are looking and end up hitting him.

It could be! I just have had target fixation before and I know you still take steps to avoid the collision when it happens like braking. I feel like the car wasn't aware there was a person or a curb there to be honest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You'd be surprised how often people just lock up and don't take basic steps to stop themselves from hitting something.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Here's the guy and the story. Other articles mention he might have been drinking. There was a lot of speculation when it first happened that he was intentionally trying to clip the guys from wheel but that is pretty much impossible to prove.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hemale in pain posted:

When I took motorcycle lessons, the instructor said "just because you're in the right doesn't mean that you aren't the one who is going to get hurt" as a way of imparting defensive riding. Don't hide in blind spots, allow the car to merge, don't enter an intersection before it's been cleared, etc.

The driver shouldn't watch their phone/target fixate/steer intentionally into the cyclist, but the cyclist put themselves in a position where they could get hurt.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Uthor posted:

When I took motorcycle lessons, the instructor said "just because you're in the right doesn't mean that you aren't the one who is going to get hurt"

yeah. there are a lot of dead motorcyclists who did nothing wrong and totally had the right of way. still dead.

when on a bicycle or motorcycle (or hell, as a pedestrian) you have to accept that you are the smaller, more fragile thing and in a fight with a car you will always lose. it sucks but that's the way things are. buddy up there was engaging in some really dangerous behavior by standing in the median against traffic and sticking his front wheel out into the lane.

(that's not to say that the car driver shouldn't be in prison. just pointing out that risk mitigation means sometimes you have to back off a bit even if you're not technically doing anything wrong.)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 24, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
They're both dipshits, how about that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hemale in pain posted:

It could be! I just have had target fixation before and I know you still take steps to avoid the collision when it happens like braking. I feel like the car wasn't aware there was a person or a curb there to be honest.

Having brought up Canada's Worst Driver before, they had an Eye of the Needle challenge specifically about this. You were going at 80 km/h and had to pass through 5 arches, each only slightly larger than the car. By looking where you want to go, you'll subconsciously bring the car where it needs to be. This is vital for crash avoidance because it allows you to swerve and avoid debris or another car instead of slamming on the brakes or blindly staring at it and crashing into it. A few people have written to the show saying the lessons from it saved their life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0qfTPmJn-I&t=1775s

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

They're both dipshits, how about that.

He wasn't doing anything dangerous. Cars pass the pavement that closely all the time and people on them don't deserve to be run over by a swerving driver ramping up the curb.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hemale in pain posted:

He wasn't doing anything dangerous. Cars pass the pavement that closely all the time and people on them don't deserve to be run over by a swerving driver ramping up the curb.

he crossed at his own red

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

he crossed at his own red

next time i commit a heinous crime but then get randomly run over in a unrelated accident i'll have to remember i deserved it because of karma

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hemale in pain posted:

next time i commit a henious crime but then get randomly run over in a unrelated accident i'll have to remember i deserved it because of karma

hitting him is still a crime. but the situation would never have even come up if he had followed the most simple driving law in the first place

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
People are talking in the donoteat thread about 10 lane pedestrian crossings with no working button so the cyclist might not have had a whole lot of choice

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

all i'm saying is that the person didn't do anything inherently dangerous and is not inconveniencing anyone. i'm all for defensive driving and being aware of dangers but you're kinda hosed if someone just comes out of their lane and drives in to you no matter the situation.

i don't give a crap about the legality of it or whatever and it makes me sad people could watch a video like that and then blame the dude just standing there not in the way of anything :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Uthor posted:

When I took motorcycle lessons, the instructor said "just because you're in the right doesn't mean that you aren't the one who is going to get hurt" as a way of imparting defensive riding. Don't hide in blind spots, allow the car to merge, don't enter an intersection before it's been cleared, etc.

The driver shouldn't watch their phone/target fixate/steer intentionally into the cyclist, but the cyclist put themselves in a position where they could get hurt.

Why can't no one be right?