Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are games where there was huge gulf in perceived quality between promo and release?

THEY TOOK OUT THE loving PUDDLES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lobok posted:

loving censorship strikes again

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I bought halo and ended up on the halo and now I'm supposed to drive this buggy like it's 1999 but I feel like this game's not supposed to impress me. Should I skip to 2?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Nintendo did a big video for the Gamecube launch and had a realistic looking (at the time anyways) sword fight between Link and Ganondorf. Then nothing for a couple years. Then Wind Waker came out.
Still a great game but everyone was definitely pissy about it at the time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lobok posted:

What was the deal with that anyway? Were the puddles just too much of a performance killer?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

christmas boots posted:

What was the deal with that anyway? Were the puddles just too much of a performance killer?

Reflections are killers

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I've read they didn't even actually take out the puddles, they just moved them from where they were to spread them out or something.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Evilreaver posted:

Reflections are killers

Makes sense

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah Killzone 2 looked a lot better than its uncanny valley E3 vid... but at the time everyone panned it because "there's no way you can make it look this good."

Killzone 1 had the same issue. Looked amazing in stills, so it was widely hailed as this wonderful Halo-killing FPS that would gracefullg bookend the end of the PS2... but it looked like poo poo in action.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Vic posted:

I bought halo and ended up on the halo and now I'm supposed to drive this buggy like it's 1999 but I feel like this game's not supposed to impress me. Should I skip to 2?

i dunno. very much a ymmv kinda situation. Halo was a Big DealTM at the time because it felt so ground-breaking and refreshing in so many ways. so many FPS games have borrowed or stolen from it, building off of and improving in all directions--including the Halo sequels.

i didnt wind up playing the first DOOM until a couple of years ago. it certainly didn't impress me but it was solid nonetheless and i played the gently caress out of. i'm personally of the opinion that Halo 1 is the tightest, most-cohesive package of the whole series (well, maybe Halo Reach is superior in that regard, but all the other ones REALLY feel like sequels by comparison rather than stand-alone products). but i was also there for its original release so am biased.

so.... your mileage may vary.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are games where there was huge gulf in perceived quality between promo and release? There was the time Polygon made DOOM out to be lethargic, and on the opposite end we got No Man's Sky which released three years too early.

I still think it's unfair to dump that one on Polygon, because it's not their fault. It's DOOM's.

I love DOOM 2016, but it made a horrible mistake in starting you off in combat, and that video shows exactly why. In the first moments of a game, you generally want to make sure you can learn the basics of controls (move, jump, shoot) in a no-pressure environment. Also pretty important to get settings right when you're playing on PC. None of this takes long, but you need to provide a bit of a breathing area to acclimate people. But DOOM 2016 is terrible for that; it starts you off in combat, it rushes you. If you're generally inclined towards FPSes you're probably not having much trouble, but in that Polygon video you can see the player grappling with the basics of 'okay what's my general move speed, how kind is aiming, how sensitive is looking around, what do these buttons do' while being rushed by attacking enemies, and with the knowledge that they're on camera which adds several weird levels and types of pressure.

Basically, that video is of someone falling into a crack of game design subtlety that most people never think about, and then getting called an idiot for the developers' fumble.

Someone's gonna bring up the Cuphead thing and I'm not talking about that, that's entirely different.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I never got the Doom thing. Goons will say "oh it was advertised as a slow fps with a heavy focus on multiplayer"

But this was the E3 trailer https://youtu.be/NteAPGprDJk

And the launch trailer https://youtu.be/RO90omga8D4

And neither of those look slow or even mention multiplayer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Len posted:

I never got the Doom thing. Goons will say "oh it was advertised as a slow fps with a heavy focus on multiplayer"

But this was the E3 trailer https://youtu.be/NteAPGprDJk

And the launch trailer https://youtu.be/RO90omga8D4

And neither of those look slow or even mention multiplayer.

i mean, not much to get...

it's just goons

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Goons

Goons never changes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
They did actually do a big focus on the multiplayer with Doom 2016. It clearly wasn't where the main design passion was, or the big tentpole trailers, but the common belief at the time was that FPSes sold on their multiplayer, so they did a lot of press around the multiplayer and SnapMap feature, with all the post-release DLC being entirely multiplayer. It wasn't really what anyone wanted to do internally, and thankfully they were vindicated in learning that players were more into the single-player too, but at the time they were running on the assumption that multiplayer was the big driver of FPSes and they just couldn't change that.

Doom 2016 is a wild development story, because every single step of it looked like it was on the path to being a miserable failure, it just happened to be well-regarded and successful at the end somehow. I highly recommend watching Matt McMuscles' 'What Happened' episode on it, he goes over all the beats of the story that by all rights should've ended in a trainwreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDtpKz97Az4

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Doom was also one of those games that Bethesda didn't send out review copies for, which didn't seem like a good sign.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Colonial Marines is the infamous example.

Colonial Marines was basically a scheme by Gearbox to get money for a Borderlands game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel kinda bad for Guerrilla on the infamous Killzone 2 trailer since by their own account that was something they made internally as a sort of aspirational slice of the game that Sony snatched up and advertised as 100% real in their desperation to sell more PS3s.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ah that's a shame I was looking at it the other day. Avoiding your spoilers, sounds like ideal bundle-fodder a few months down the line.

It's on PC Game Pass which seems like a perfect fit.

Also I've been playing it and I'm annoyed by how fragile you are.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

Cleretic posted:

They did actually do a big focus on the multiplayer with Doom 2016. It clearly wasn't where the main design passion was, or the big tentpole trailers, but the common belief at the time was that FPSes sold on their multiplayer, so they did a lot of press around the multiplayer and SnapMap feature, with all the post-release DLC being entirely multiplayer. It wasn't really what anyone wanted to do internally, and thankfully they were vindicated in learning that players were more into the single-player too, but at the time they were running on the assumption that multiplayer was the big driver of FPSes and they just couldn't change that.

Doom 2016 is a wild development story, because every single step of it looked like it was on the path to being a miserable failure, it just happened to be well-regarded and successful at the end somehow. I highly recommend watching Matt McMuscles' 'What Happened' episode on it, he goes over all the beats of the story that by all rights should've ended in a trainwreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDtpKz97Az4

Noclip's videos on DOOM '16 are top tier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6SBnccxMA

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

christmas boots posted:

Probably, but outside that one particular cutscene and subsequent combat encounter the final game in general does not have much water on the ground ever, even when it's been raining for a while, and I'm assuming it's because it would have required animating splashes and ripples as you and enemies went through them or else it would have looked bad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lobok posted:

Probably, but outside that one particular cutscene and subsequent combat encounter the final game in general does not have much water on the ground ever, even when it's been raining for a while, and I'm assuming it's because it would have required animating splashes and ripples as you and enemies went through them or else it would have looked bad.

Even outside of the technical aspects, I think flooding the game with that much detail would have worked against the actual gameplay. It’s fast and there’s a lot of stuff to pick out and visual clutter would interfere with combat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been helping to fill in roads in Death Stranding, but there is something annoying with that mechanic - (mechanical spoiler for the second major section of the game world) none of the other players seem to be doing much with that, so there are many journeys with terrible terrain and a bunch of autopavers that haven't even been touched, let alone donated too. to be fair one of them is kind of well hidden, but it means there are massive chasms that you need to cross somehow with trucks that I'll have to find an annoyingly circuitous way around unless I can scrounge up the materials.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been helping to fill in roads in Death Stranding, but there is something annoying with that mechanic - (mechanical spoiler for the second major section of the game world) none of the other players seem to be doing much with that, so there are many journeys with terrible terrain and a bunch of autopavers that haven't even been touched, let alone donated too. to be fair one of them is kind of well hidden, but it means there are massive chasms that you need to cross somehow with trucks that I'll have to find an annoyingly circuitous way around unless I can scrounge up the materials.

Lol that's the entire game you've just described.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The games gonna have a functional infrastructure and it will be ENTIRELY because of me. I will be loving ROLLING in Oxytocin. I will be an Oxytycoon!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There's definitely something screwy with how the game interprets other people contributing to roads. I often find them half-built but I've never seen anyone complete one for me

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BioEnchanted posted:

The games gonna have a functional infrastructure and it will be ENTIRELY because of me. I will be loving ROLLING in Oxytocin. I will be an Oxytycoon!

I read that as Oxycontin and was like hell yes.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The bizarre 'small microgame shoved into a side menu, with real-time timers for doing things' feature that really seemed to blossom around the early-mid 2010s. (Often with mobile app tie-ins, Looking at you, Ubisoft.)
Ignoring for a moment that they'd usually either be utterly inconsequential, or insanely overpowered, (or gameplay-beneficial, which is even worse due to the time gating.), they're just such a tedious bit of garbage.

I'm sure a lot of people know what I'm talking about, DA:I had it for it's inquisition missions, and AC4:BF had it for a Fleet side diversion thing. MGSVTPP Weapon development, etc.

And I just don't know why they kept ramming them in. I remember DA:I having timers all the way up to 24h (though thankfully they ran off the system clock.), and they just feel like the most artificial way of trying to get people to pick up a game again every day, or later in the day, etc.
Kinda like daily login rewards and poo poo. MGSVTPP had a lot of base/crafting stuff, but I think that was even worse because it ran off in-game play time?
If they absolutely have to have mechanics like that in, just loving tie it to missions or something, with each mission or side-thing you do ingame being a tick worth of development.

Thankfully that trend seems to have died off with the whole 'app companion' thing that's gotten a lot less common.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Play MGSV on the PC with the snakebite mod to eliminate ALL timers for development and deployment. You're still piss out of luck when it comes to capturing rare animals and completing all the hard-mode filler missions.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Carrion has some issues.

First, it needs a map badly - I understand youre playing as a monster who wouldn't have a map, but the game wants you to backtrack a lot and the screens are pretty samey.

Second, it hides powerups you have to go back for after you have new abilities. It is entirely too hard to find your way back (again, the map issue) and also by the time you have all the abilities necessary to get the powerups you're already at the end of the game. You never get a chance to enjoy them. Why do game designers do this? Like the sword of ultimate fuckoff power is gated behind doing the hardest thing you would ever have to do anyway.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
I've noticed this most recently on divinity 2: original sin but the basic disregard enemies have for their own life because the enemies never have to worry about another battle is really annoying. It got real bad near the end when the dps classes turned every fight into a game of rocket tag. Sure there are res scrolls, but not enough to justify every enemy being able to do that poo poo. Also, one of the last puzzles in the game the blessed fire/blood/water puzzle where you need to link them to a patch of the same substance on the other side of a bunch of grooves they flow through literally goes against the mechanics they drilled into you all game. Those three things cancel each other out on the ground so only one can occupy the space at a time all game, but the puzzle solution is to direct them all through the same spot where somehow that exact thing doesn't happen. DOS 2 is like the poster child of games that are fun even though the devs aggressively tried to ruin it like a bad first edition D&D DM. I finished it and have exactly 0 interest in baldurs gate 3 now, which they are making and I was excited for before playing DOS

E: also the whole action point system was a very vague suggestion for a lot of enemies. Sometimes they just ignored it for funsies, sometimes it was really obviously that a first turn was scripted for cinematic effect. At least the second type was exploitable so it could be fun but some random enemy having literally 12 ap per turn instead of 4 got old real fast

mmj has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Jul 25, 2020

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Manager Hoyden posted:

Carrion has some issues.

First, it needs a map badly - I understand youre playing as a monster who wouldn't have a map, but the game wants you to backtrack a lot and the screens are pretty samey.

Second, it hides powerups you have to go back for after you have new abilities. It is entirely too hard to find your way back (again, the map issue) and also by the time you have all the abilities necessary to get the powerups you're already at the end of the game. You never get a chance to enjoy them. Why do game designers do this? Like the sword of ultimate fuckoff power is gated behind doing the hardest thing you would ever have to do anyway.

I was a big fan of the three "energy capacity" upgrades, since the only uses for energy is "hold for half a second to cloak past a laser" and "absorb a harpoon bomb at the cost of 100% energy"

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

having to scour the maps for 9 containment tanks makes it really obvious that they ran out of ideas early on and needed to fill time so the game wasnt an hour long

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Still I feel like they had the bones of a good game in there, but the execution was kind of meh. A sequel with a bigger scope would be pretty good I think.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

If a paver has literally zero resources in it, check whether you've brought the area it's in onto the chiral network. They don't start getting resources from other players until you've linked up with the prepper in that area to bring the network online.

I think the game carefully curates how much of a contribution you receive from other players so they don't just complete all the work for you. I had three segments of road entirely built by other players, with all the rest getting like a 25-50% contribution.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

Whether this is a thing bringing the game down or not is up to you, but the cooperative online stuff in Death Stranding is extremely fast and loose. Like, it felt like it was more tied to game progression than anything else. If it makes it any better, I never felt like it got in the way and I connected all of the roads by the time I beat the game without much trouble.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think I had two roads completed for me the entire game, and 0 resources dropped on the really expensive ones in the last area. Still mostly good, the mild annoyance from having to carry a shitload of resources to finish them was surpassed by the satisfaction of the infinite likes I got every time I logged in.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I had the exact opposite - the moment I completed the road tutorial a whole drat highway popped up taking me almost to the next knot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Necrothatcher posted:

I had the exact opposite - the moment I completed the road tutorial a whole drat highway popped up taking me almost to the next knot.

This was pretty much it for me, and made me realize just how much more fun tooling around on the highway doing deliveries was compared to worrying about ghosts or badguys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Haven't played Carrion, but it sounds like maybe they didn't include a map because they didn't want to reveal how small the game is? I know the first thing I do in Metroidvanias once I've played a bit of to check the map to get a guess of the overall size. By using either the "% explored" or just context based on the map screen boundaries, you can usually get a decent expectation.