Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I can't decide if I'm sleeping on the couch *or* if my wife has a new summer car. Who wants to guess?

Stock, clean title, 5spd 91 vert that wouldn't pass emissions. Couldn't pass it up for sub $1k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Spyder: I want to consolidate down cars.

Also Spyder: GUYS I JUST BOUGHT AN FC FOR UNDER $1K!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Every single one of us would have made the exact same choice if presented with that opportunity.

:golfclap:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh absolutely. I'm still gonna rib him about it though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Haaaaa.

Keep on spydering dude.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Great update, thanks for sharing.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Hell yeah.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Supposedly, if you swap the springs from an FC vert into an FC tintop, you end up with a half-inch lift. Offroad FC?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

the spyder posted:

I can't decide if I'm sleeping on the couch *or* if my wife has a new summer car. Who wants to guess?

Stock, clean title, 5spd 91 vert that wouldn't pass emissions. Couldn't pass it up for sub $1k.

I would have snapped that up! Of course, we have 25 year rolling emissions here in TX, so it would be legal anyway. Any running rotary for less that $1K is probably a reasonable deal, much less a fairly nice one like that.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Supposedly, if you swap the springs from an FC vert into an FC tintop, you end up with a half-inch lift. Offroad FC?

Would make sense given the relative weights.
I will say that lightly used Racing Beat lowering springs *raised* my (now someone else's) FC GXL 2+2 by about 1/2" over the completely worn out original stock springs, so it would depend on just how knackered all the respective bits were.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, it's been a crazy week. What a better way to end it than finally buying an engine for the Porsche~

The Porsche guys are going to LOVE ME!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

gently caress Yessssss! You are officially building my dream car!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Goddamn yes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Woot!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Finally, a Braporsche! What are you going to do with all the room you've saved in the engine bay?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Finally, a Braporsche! What are you going to do with all the room you've saved in the engine bay?

Turbos, water to air intercoolers, turbos, meth injection, turbos?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

Turbos, water to air intercoolers, turbos, meth injection, turbos?

I'm going to have to start a go-fund-me if I'm going to get fancy.

It's a early A series block, castings don't take high boost easily. It also came as seen, bare down to the crank with no oil pump, intake, etc. But that's just the excuse I needed to cut some full p-port housings and toss some ITB's on it. It's still going to cost $15k to do it, but it's still cheaper than trying to get 350hp from a 2.8 stroker!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Don't be disappointed, but this project is a long termer and won't see much progress VS the other I've got to get done this summer/fall. This was still the best thing that could have happened for that Porsche. I had major buyers remorse and I wasn't sure just a few weeks ago it was a project I wanted to tackle. Now I'm sold.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Oh that's going to be a fun swap. Wouldn't expect anything else from the rotary man.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

the spyder posted:

I'm going to have to start a go-fund-me if I'm going to get fancy.

It's a early A series block, castings don't take high boost easily. It also came as seen, bare down to the crank with no oil pump, intake, etc. But that's just the excuse I needed to cut some full p-port housings and toss some ITB's on it. It's still going to cost $15k to do it, but it's still cheaper than trying to get 350hp from a 2.8 stroker!

Christ triangles are expensive

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Christ triangles are expensive

There is no more expensive horsepower than air-cooled Porsche horsepower.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Here are my estimates - keep in mind this car is the barest of shells you have seen.

Shell needs:
$100 - replacement front tire
$300 - headlights, trim rings, adjusters, covers, cover screws (new)
$500 - rear axles (new)
$500 - front glass with new seal
$500 - rear glass with new seal
$450 - brake booster, master, reservoir, mount (used)
$350 - wiper arms, motor+linkage
$165 - Turn signal/dimmer switch
$500 - HVAC components (boxes, ducting, covers, etc)
$300 - HVAC control panel
$430 - Carpet kit
Total: $4100

Nice stuff/my plans:
$500 - tube supplies for half cage
$1500 - recaro pole position seats
$1000 - Haltech Dash
$3000 - Haltech Nexus PDM/ECU
$1000 - wiring/switches/battery
$2000 - G50 trans (sell my 915 for $2k)
$500 - clutch/flywheel
$500 - engine adaptor kit
$600 - radiator/fans/hoses
$200 - oil cooler lines/fans
$0 engine mount hardware (leftovers from other project)
$1000 - P-Port machine work
$500 - P-Port intake/throttle bodies
$1500 - Fuel system parts
$200 - custom air box/filter
$500 - exhaust supplies
Total: $14,500

So let's say $20k to turn this in to a running/driving car with 350whp, plus the $10k I paid for the shell/trans/wheels/ "new" engine.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 20, 2020

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Man, glad I'm not into the 3 rotor game sometimes, what are cores going for now, 6k?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

Man, glad I'm not into the 3 rotor game sometimes, what are cores going for now, 6k?

That's the average price for a unmarked, A, and B series cores with manifolds. In rebuildable condition. C or D series are in the $8500 range.
I paid 1/3rd of that, came from an estate, which made this project possible.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

This is excellent.
People think rotaries are expensive, but even with a LSx, HP can get expensive in a hurry. Mind you, the LSx will have *more* of both herspers and torks, but it's super easy to spend $10-15K on a crate engine, much less a custom build. And if it's *not* an LSx, it only goes up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Darchangel posted:

This is excellent.
People think rotaries are expensive, but even with a LSx, HP can get expensive in a hurry. Mind you, the LSx will have *more* of both herspers and torks, but it's super easy to spend $10-15K on a crate engine, much less a custom build. And if it's *not* an LSx, it only goes up.

It's super easy not to, also. But that's besides the point of this thread ruling.

Super excited to see where this goes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

It's super easy not to, also. But that's besides the point of this thread ruling.

Super excited to see where this goes.

That’s a pretty good price. Of course, LSx/SBC is *usually* the cheapest way to go.
I’m always a fan of odd combos, and a rotary in anything. Which reminds me I haven’t heard anything from the dude who put a 13B-REW in a ‘70 (I believe) Nova in a while. It was even built for drag racing!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I am far too excited about this and currently figuring out how to fund it.

Though I hate to say, this is typical me and I should probably pause here. I've got far too much on my plate and this new *shiny* project is far to likely to put other projects way behind. I would rather get the 20B FD actually running this fall and drive the darn thing.

And on that note, I should probably flip this convertible while it's still summer. Darn it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

While you are not wrong, I would presume that any completion date goals are of your own making, so that's entirely up to you.
I like to have a vague goal of which is the primary project, but to avoid being burnt out on a particular project, hop around quite a bit. A little here, a little there. Not that any of my projects are as ambitious as yours, mind you :) I find hard timelines to be stress-inducing, or at least more so than the stress induced by a project languishing a bit.
If you prefer to operate with firm goals in place, and that works better for you, then by all means, do that. Not that you need my permission or anything - just offering a (somewhat disorganized, lazy) perspective.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
That's actually a very good explanation of my mindset. It's funny to me, because in my professional life I am nearly 100% project driven. I've been very successful these last few years by being a change leader and completing projects on time or ahead of time just by using decent tracking/scheduling combined with solid communication. For my personal life? HA. Good luck getting my to do something I don't find value in. My brain seems to have two modes. 1) Focus and work or 2) Bugger off.

Rant below:
I realized some time ago that my life needed to change, significantly. If this were any other forum I would not be posting this. My only joy should not be from projects at work and that finally broke me from the cycle I was in. I lost more than I want to get into here, but you could see it in my posts. I lost what ever joy I had with cars many pages back. How I maintained it for so long, I'll never know. Passion is a weird drug. It took a year of forcing myself to stop everything just so I could think. I came out of it with a clear(er) head and somewhat of a plan. I decided to make some big changes, both immediately and long term. I've adapted two common practices I've preached, but not taken seriously. 1) If it doesn't make you happy, get rid of it. 2) If it has no immediate need (6 months max), get rid of it.

For what this means with the car side of the world, I realized I was tired of *having* all these things. Projects, parts, hell even car friends. What was the point. I found myself working on things I don't want to be, not spending time on the house, caring for our bees, or being with my family - just so I could *have* something? It reached that tipping point of insanity where I was doing the same thing over and over, hating it more every time and drifting further away. What really cemented it was loosing any real attachment to the local car world. (Except Rob@Pineapple, hell his views on not caring about the local scene really helped me question what I wanted from it and shaped my view). Oregon is a weird place for car enthusiasts and when you're the token rotary nut - its even stranger. Lots of people either have heard of me, have met me, know me, want my help or to hang out when I do car stuff. At least twice a month I get the offer of "I'll come help you just to learn". And I get it - I was that kid growing up. But you look at what little time I have, there's no way I would get this much done while teaching someone else. And to be honest, I would 10x rather spend what little time I have for car stuff with the actual friends I've met in the car world, preferably doing non-car things.

It became very clear that reducing the number of projects, increasing the quality and usefulness was the best path forward. I would rather have 2 nice Rx-7's than 5 projects. This year started with cleaning. I gave away all my old tool boxes/tools and anything I did not need. I threw away multiple loads of junk at the dump - and I haven't even started selling off parts. Cars have been selling as I have time. And soon I'm going to start pushing on my brother to figure out his plan for everything that's at our shop/at this property. We don't have enough time to have it all with our families. (I know you'll read this, Sorry!) It's difficult to drop the *what if I need it some day* mentality I was raised with. I remember building an air compressor from an old HVAC pump, milk shaker motor, pump well switch, and 20gal tire tank with my grandfather because there was no money to buy an actual one. I truly am my father's son in that regard, because he's been the #1 supporter of this. This meant years of countless yard sales/estate sales collecting parts for that ever longing question - *what if*. Craigslist just made it worse. It made me who I am and I am grateful for that. But it does not mean that's who I have to be.

So yea, I'm going to make some stupid choices still - like the vert and 3 rotor. But overall, I'm done - but in a good way. I'm done with the unhealthy mentality I had. What I asked of myself was unreasonable and it was only as I got older I understood that and the burden it put on those around me. 2020 may suck due to things outside my control - but that doesn't mean it's going to be a poo poo year for me. I've got too much to get done to make my life better. Hopefully that includes some fun projects I can post about here.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 24, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm the world's worst at stating out enthusiastic on a project, then just letting it slide away. It's almost fortunate that I've never really had the money to buy all the projects I wanted, but at the same time, I tend to buy/start with crap that isn't worth messing with rather than saving and buying better in the first place. I still ended up with 7 RX-7s at one point - only 3 of which I actually paid money for. Down to 5 now. Need to sell the AE86, since it's not really a joy. I enjoyed making it better, but it needs way more to be *good* to me, and I'm not really invested in that scene. I resent it for taking time and money from my '79 RX-7, and my '70 Cutlass. Those are the two I've determined are keepers, and worthy projects. The other RX-7s are, basically spare parts, since none of *them* run, either.
I enjoy being *able* to build a thing, but, yeah, there are times when it's just not worth it to actually do so, especially now that I'm at a point where I can afford stuff, a lot of the time. Or was - hospital bills incoming. :ohdear:
I mean, my paternal grandfather used to keep and straighten nails whenever something was disassembled (straightening nails was my job a lot of the time,) so I thoroughly understand that mindset. He made, and made do, a lot of stuff. Dad picked some of that attitude up, and I got a little myself. I fear going through dad's stuff when he passes (which hopefully will be more than 20 years.) My office full of old tech and stuff is bad enough.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
There's no reasons things should keep us tied down so much. I see it happen constantly. And I feel ya on the pending parental cleanup. At least my folks realized that and have already started downsizing. But what the heck us three kids are going to do with a dozen classic cars? Ugh. And on the medical debt, I could have taken a vacation (HA) this year if not for debt and ya know, covid. Still - we blew through way to much in savings, which is why the vert probably won't stick around. But I just have to remind myself it's all for the better. Oh and I thew away almost all my old tech. One more recycle trip and I'll be down to just the minimum. It was fun, but I don't enjoy it seeing as it's my day job.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I'm kinda in the same boat, barring fits of insanity. It's why I'm basically just down to the race car instead of all the other stuff. Although that keeps trying to expand and I'm not great at avoiding scope creep.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm getting there. I don't know where to start on my office, but I've been trying hard to trash and/or donate stuff as I'm going through the garage here lately. Two cars to sell, which should produce a little cash, and less headache, not to mention yearly licensing/insurance/etc.
As far as dad's stuff, I want his '55 Chevy, and tools, especially the big Clausing and the Bridgeport (he was an engineer by trade, until he finally retired, but was a machinist for years in college.)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I just want to say that I've been lurking and enjoying your thread for a long time, but I understand where you're coming from. Since my daughter was born, I've been stepping away from the local car scene except for the handful of really good friends I've made, sold the bike I never had time to ride, and scaled back taking on projects for the local enthusiasts. After years of feeling like burning the candle from both ends, I've learned I'd rather spend the evening playing with my kid, working in the yard, or picking one of the many house projects to do instead of working on a 30 year old car, no matter how cool it is.

I've got two cars, one for the weekends and one for the daily, and that's all I need!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I ended up doing three major engine projects back to back on my little fleet- full bare block rebuild on my landcruiser engine, where everything is heavy, and expensive, then as soon as that got back on the road, the better halfs Tiida decided that its engine didnt really want a head gasket any more, which involved a full motor replacement, then two weeks after that my mates 80 series turbo diesel started to push coolant out of the rad and was bubbling in the overflow, so we pulled the head to replace the head gasket and found two cracked pistons, so THAT turned into a major rebuild project that took about 5 weeks too.

It absolutely killed any enthusiasm I had for working on cars for a solid year, I'd do bare essential maintenance but thats it. Ive had a transfer case sitting on my workshop bench for nearly a year to swap into the landcruiser- its only a few hours job, but its easier to just pour more oil into the current one that leaks than swap it out.

That was 24 months ago and im only just getting back to the stage where Im enjoying working on cars again. Theres nothing wrong with taking some time out to do stuff for yourself!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I had a hell of a week between family/work/life. So what a better way to end it than something positive. I got my fricken car back from the body shop! The new rail/apron is installed, everything is within 1mm of factory spec. Everything lines up and sits flush. I could not be happier. The quality of work is great and I can FINALLY get off my rear end about this project. Well, once I get two or three other things done... drat it. :D

the spyder fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 26, 2020

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

You aren't alone on being utterly burnt out.

I've started trying to downsize too. Sold my impreza coupe because I wasn't doing anything with it and my land cruiser turned out to be a massive project.

I'm actually outsourcing some land cruiser work because I want it back on the road and can't be bothered to spend more time on it when I keep getting roadblocked. So I feel you on having a bunch of parts and projects and just being completely burnt out and not enjoying it.

I've gotten pretty lucky lately and some good friends are helping make my shop fun again instead of a place I hate being at.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

I had a hell of a week between family/work/life. So what a better way to end it than something positive. I got my fricken car back from the body shop! The new rail/apron is installed, everything is within 1mm of factory spec. Everything lines up and sits flush. I could not be happier. The quality of work is great and I can FINALLY get off my rear end about this project. Well, once I get two or three other things done... drat it. :D

So nice when someone does their job well! That's impressive.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'd have to look back to see how well I explained it, but the short version is - this is who I wanted to do the work in the first place. He did a great job and I'll be taking him more work in the future.
Now I just have to work with Rob to get the engine done, but that's another story. I'm $36k in to this project and still don't have a running FD, kill meeeeeee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy poo poo, I'd lose my mind. I don't think I'm even past 5k on my build yet and I just drove it for the first time... Only 3 feet but still, it moved by itself.