Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Dan Katz is living his gimmick, folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

yea ok posted:

i listened to that entire big cat thing and it's pretty disingenuous to say he's mad because he didn't get invited to the interview lol. i definitely understand not wanting to listen to 10 minutes of a barstool guy talk but come on

That wasn't what I meant to imply. Big Cat's primary grievance was about not being consulted about the interview beforehand.

He gave some lip service about not wanting Barstool to be political, but that rings hollow considering Barstool frequently has political content and Portnoy is a recurring guest on Tucker Carlson.

(I mean, in actuality, he's not really that angry and this is just one of the ritualistic, performative Serious bits that he and PFT pull in the immediate aftermath of a Barstool controversy.)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Cat and PFTC have built a brand around being The Good Barstool Guys and they use this bullshit as a shield every time their boss does something terrible. They like the paychecks more than they like having principles. It's such an obvious grift and I can't believe people still fall for it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Benne posted:

Cat and PFTC have built a brand around being The Good Barstool Guys and they use this bullshit as a shield every time their boss does something terrible. They like the paychecks more than they like having principles. It's such an obvious grift and I can't believe people still fall for it.

They're Barstool Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if this was in a vacuum, i could understand cat's annoyance at this. He just wanted a heads-up and was left out of the loop. I'm not gonna fault him on that. But this also very much smacks of an attempt at an "oh man it's getting REAL now" skit and even if there's some truth to Cat's annoyance, it's really hard to buy it. If this genuinely bothered him as some higher-up at barstool then he's got plenty of other ways of dealing with it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
he's been at barstool for loving ever, and the site and portnoy have been garbage the entire time. he still sticks around and is sitting there giggling like a jackass egging portnoy on every time he goes on some dumb racist or sexist rant. he loving sucks!

this isn't even the first time they've been pro trump, their store has been selling trump merch since 2016

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 25, 2020

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
They own old row also which as someone else so eloquently put on this site a long time ago, the only thing that series of accounts is missing is the tiki torches.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

PFTC loving sucks. I loved reading Old Deadspin's takedowns on how lovely he really is.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I cant imagine why anyone would enjoy PFTC in 2020, unless you still think "pretending to be racist" is the height of comedy. His gimmick got real dated real fast.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
His shtick was entirely meant to work in text form only, especially because the tone of it does not fit the actual guy at all. I don’t understand what the point of him having a podcast is.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I'm surprised no one has started a BarstoolCommenter character playing on what racist chuds Barstool fans are. Barstool's worse than PFT ever was.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The X-man cometh posted:

I'm surprised no one has started a BarstoolCommenter character playing on what racist chuds Barstool fans are. Barstool's worse than PFT ever was.

You wouldn't be able to tell it apart from the real thing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Henchman of Santa posted:

His shtick was entirely meant to work in text form only, especially because the tone of it does not fit the actual guy at all. I don’t understand what the point of him having a podcast is.

To get paid off of being popular online.

Which I respect. A bunch. Don't begrudge him at all.

But yeah he chose to lie in this bed, and kept lying in it long past the PO not if plausible deniability.

It is what it is.....

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

The X-man cometh posted:

Other than the fact that "ironic racism" is beyond played out, it won't work for the same reason why Trump parodies almost always fall flat - - they're already too ridiculous to be caricatured.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the last time I heard from him was when he would call in to Bomani's radio show and that hasn't happened since the three-day Barstool/ESPN deal. I'm not sure we should give anybody any benefit of the doubt or attention to be honest, there's plenty of better voices out there to lift up instead of trying to save one or two from Barstool.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Back before his gimmick wore itself out, PFTC was pretty funny for more than just ironic racism. It felt to me like a very specific parody developed through real observation of dumb sports fans, especially older ones who complained about even the slightest degree of analytics, and who resented players who wanted to be treated like professionals. A Barstool Commenter character would be literally indistinguishable from any ordinary Pats fan though, and we've all read throwaway parodies of them already

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

https://twitter.com/ChrisLongKSTP/status/1286334040757460992

An aboslutely horrendous take, and then there's this:

https://twitter.com/ChrisLongKSTP/status/1286340061987053569

Motherfucker there was a hockey team that was literally named as a movie tie-in!!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

tinstaach posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisLongKSTP/status/1286334040757460992

An aboslutely horrendous take, and then there's this:

https://twitter.com/ChrisLongKSTP/status/1286340061987053569

Motherfucker there was a hockey team that was literally named as a movie tie-in!!

i mean at least the ducks were a hockey team in the movie, raptors has zero connection to anything either basketball or GTA/canada

pretty much everything about that franchise from the name to the color scheme has aged extremely ungracefully and it owns

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Raptors are hardly the worst in a league with a team named after pants, a team named after part of the hoop, several teams named for things from cities that they left decades ago, a team named for part of a boot, a team named for something from a different sport, and a team called the Wizards in a division that already had the Magic.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

The Raptors are hardly the worst in a league with a team named after pants, a team named after part of the hoop, several teams named for things from cities that they left decades ago, a team named for part of a boot, a team named for something from a different sport, and a team called the Wizards in a division that already had the Magic.

Don't forget car parts, the temperature or weather.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Raptors blessed us with this, the greatest gif there ever will be

They're okay in my book.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

Don't forget car parts, the temperature or weather.

Those are at least good local names, though Pistons is coincidental as they moved from Fort Wayne

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The "this team name is lame" argument is the lowest rung of sports media argument after fixing baseball and paying collegiate athletes and I am very glad it has returned because Sports. Are. Back .

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Runs in panting to explain that there are actually a few lakes in greater LA county.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Utah Jazz

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Those are at least good local names, though Pistons is coincidental as they moved from Fort Wayne

also the rockets were in san diego

the north stars shortening their name to the stars while they were still in minny was good planning

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

There is heat, thunder, and the sun in every NBA city except Toronto and Boston.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Is an excellent name yes

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Raptors are hardly the worst in a league with a team named after pants

Named after a social group, who is named after pants, but also probably sort of named after a baseball team

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Clippers are named after an industrial age merchant ship, a Horatio Hornblower rear end name

Also the 90s Raptors have the best uniform of the 90s What if This Team Logo Was A Soft Drink Era

I Before E fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 27, 2020

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

All this talk about basketball team names and not a word about any of the teams in the Philippines...

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I don’t follow the NBA so it took three years for me to find out there was a team named the Pelicans and I didn’t believe it when I first read It.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

All this talk about basketball team names and not a word about any of the teams in the Philippines...

The BJ League checks in from the great beyond. Japan is a goldmine for pretty dumb sounding names.

But yeah shoutout to the Beermen

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Schremp Howard posted:

I don’t follow the NBA so it took three years for me to find out there was a team named the Pelicans and I didn’t believe it when I first read It.

State bird. Also, the name of a really old local baseball team.

Still, it should have been Rougarou.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Didn't Marbury play for a team called the Talk n Text All Stars in the Philippines ?

Also speaking of Marbury, theres a doc about him up.on Netflix, I might have to give it a look

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
https://twitter.com/ColinCowherd/status/1287767512688373760

Compelling logic after the Marlins have an outbreak during road series #1.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't Marbury play for a team called the Talk n Text All Stars in the Philippines ?

Also speaking of Marbury, theres a doc about him up.on Netflix, I might have to give it a look

That’s a real team but I don’t think Marbury ever played in the Philippines

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It was the Talk n Text Tropang Texters, show some respect

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

hcreight posted:

https://twitter.com/ColinCowherd/status/1287767512688373760

Compelling logic after the Marlins have an outbreak during road series #1.

The NBA has a bubble and players are already going to strip clubs using family reasons as an excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Benne posted:

They like the paychecks more than they like having principles.

In this current media market you can scarcely afford not to.