Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

strategery posted:

It is clearly stylized more heavily than that trailer (now).

I noticed some people surprised by the cartoonish look today, but I don’t see why. It’s clear from the shot of the marines in the reveal that it’s not going for a hyper realistic look. It’s not quite Pixar/Sims level of stylized, but even then it clearly wasn’t going to be natural looking.

That part I can get behind, though. I’m glad they’re trying to emulate a look more like the original Halo. Ironically the original Halo was probably going for the most realistic graphics it could produce at the time. But if you want to emulate that look now you have to make it look unnatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Microsoft on almost every Halo game has everything looking cheap and plasticy, and then at the last minute they add shaders that make it look insanely cool.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I think my biggest worry about it is that, being open world, it looks to have that standard open world design of lots of empty space peppered with small random battles and outpost, leading it somewhat interesting areas that would be even better if everything about them was linear and bespoke.

Halo shouldn't be tracing trends. It should be excelling at being a FPS with very few bells and whistles.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

Who knew the next big Halo killer would be Halo itself.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I have a bad feeling the overworld will be all grunts/jackals and the elites/brutes are just going to be at outposts or objectives.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
People are melting down because the game has sprint which is pretty funny

https://twitter.com/Ellisrael/status/1286372119874543616?s=20

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

But...Halo Reach had sprint? :confused:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I keep saying Reach was not popular at all in the community MP wise.

This explains why he's mad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6YdPRyW0DA

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

Is it normal to be this... "passionate" about gaming?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is it normal to be this... "passionate" about gaming?

Are you new here?

I mean its certainly not healthy, but it definitely is... common.

E: Also this guy is probably playing it up for his twitch stream, its real common to play the "excited gamer" on twitch.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I find it kind of funny just how much the H2A terminals make you see the Arbiter differently.

Like, just the sheer scale of what he was responsible really did not seem apparent or obvious from playing through original H2.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxyclean posted:

I find it kind of funny just how much the H2A terminals make you see the Arbiter differently.

Like, just the sheer scale of what he was responsible really did not seem apparent or obvious from playing through original H2.

Yeah, they realllllllllly gloss over what his job was

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So nobody up for Halo 3 Coop? Wouldnt mind getting those seasonal bonuses

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Okay so the IGN interview has some things

https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-infinite-2-wont-be-happening-says-343-industries

They're calling it their "platform for the future" and saying there won't be an Infinite 2 or Halo 6

So this is a straight up live game ala Destiny or Anthem.

Lmao

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Zaphod42 posted:

So this is a straight up live game ala Destiny or Anthem.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Solaris 2.0 posted:

But...Halo Reach had sprint? :confused:
did you forget how that was extremely controversial among the dedicated fanbase and many people hated sprint

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can see valid criticisms for both sides of the argument but I won't deny that sprint makes big team battle matches on large maps a lot more bearable.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Arcsquad12 posted:

I can see valid criticisms for both sides of the argument but I won't deny that sprint makes big team battle matches on large maps a lot more bearable.

The whole point is that the map sizes are designed with your top speed in mind, so it'd be the same with or without sprint.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Except for when they port over old maps without adjusting things for sprint, and then suddenly everything is way more 'squished' because travel times are shorter than the map was designed around.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The whole point is that the map sizes are designed with your top speed in mind, so it'd be the same with or without sprint.

But that doesn't quite work with Reach's armour abilities because only two of them provide mobility and using a jetpack is painting a target on you from across the map. Sprinting in Reach being an option rather than an integral ability means that sprinters can escape from bad spots in ways armor lock, bubble shields or holograms can't. And if you have any of those abilities on bigger maps then you still have to footslog it while a sprinter has a mobility advantage.

I think they added some debuffs to sprint in the 343 games by making it so shields don't regenerate while you're sprinting? That would be really handy in Reach to balance the ability against the other ones that have obvious downsides.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its fine to feel one way or another about sprint, but halo grognards are truly the worst when it comes to spring whining

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Hardcore players of pretty much every franchise with a competitive element cry endlessly about innovations and balance changes because they consider themselves entrenched experts and take the idea of having to get gud again as a personal affront.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they're that bad about sprint I imagine that the grappling hook would put them into a rage coma.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Or they know more about what makes the game good than some goons or the noted incompetent developers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd be fine if they made their map design take sprinting into account. Reach Multiplayer drives me nuts on some maps. Boardwalk SWAT can gently caress off.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't really like sprint because I think I'd just rather faster movement. If movement is going to have trade-off of making me more vulnerable, I'd rather it be more interesting/fun. (Like say, a grappling hook.)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As a relatively new Halo player, what’s wrong with sprinting? If everyone has it it can’t be an unfair advantage right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In a game like Reach not everyone has sprint.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

chaosapiant posted:

As a relatively new Halo player, what’s wrong with sprinting? If everyone has it it can’t be an unfair advantage right?
as mentioned earlier, it changes how maps need to be designed. this means both that older maps don't work properly because there's now movement they weren't designed around so the flow of players around the map is very different and maps feel a lot more "cramped" as a result, and also new maps need to stretch out their horizontal space a lot more(which has knock-on effects on weapon balance).

also, as the earlier video said, in earlier games without sprint and mantling you could move at your 'max speed' without drawbacks, which meant you could shoot and fight while retreating or chasing. you have more options available to you more often without it, essentially, since you're not blocked from doing certain actions if you want to travel at max speed.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

So I haven't played a ton of reach but I think it's just as simple as it makes for a different balance & feel in MP. You can't shoot while sprinting and it takes a moment to ready your gun after ending a sprint. Nothing massive, but its going to put you at a disadvantage if you get caught off guard.

I think people are against it because they rather Halo be a bit more of a simple MP shooter? Not that sprint is the most complexity adding thing, but it simply just changes how you play.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
This is probably the most comprehensive video covering whats an issue. Oddly, I think that Reach's system where the abilities are pickups allows a lot more flexibility than what it turned into with Halo 4 and 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pnEtAqnhpw

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, Tip of the Spear might just have the dumbest moment ive seen in the game on a replay.
Noble Team's Dumb AI Dot says that the spire is projecting an EMP field.

So Jorge tells the Falcon pilot to fly through the barrier. And then the emp field kills the falcons electronics and they crash.

Gee what did you think flying into an EMP field would do?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Sprint is the best as it makes it easier and more fun to pop out from around a corner with a sword and murder people. :colbert:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
First time posting in this thread, but I grew up playing the poo poo out of Bungie's Halo games and from viewing the gameplay trailer of Infinity, it was really disappointing to realize that 343 still hasn't figured out what made the old titles so good (Though I'll grant that I haven't played Halo 5, not that I have much inclination to).

To jump on a high horse for a bit, talking about the single-player campaign specifically:

Twenty odd years ago, when the first Halo was being designed, it started out not as an FPS, but an RTS, with the gimmick that the player could jump into one of their units and fight from a third-person perspective. This eventually evolved into first person, and then the entire game was redesigned as an FPS because it turned out that was more fun and interesting—but the idea of the player being merely one unit on a much larger battlefield was reflected in the gameplay and level design of every one of Bungie's subsequent entries, from the beach assault of Silent Cartographer to the titanic battle against the duel scarabs of The Covenant. There were missions where you fought entirely by yourself, but very rarely were they as enjoyable or memorable as the missions you fought alongside allies, and it was these kinds of encounters that truly made the game feel unique and special.

Now, I'm going off old memories by this point, but in Halo 4 that... didn't happen. The game starts with the Chief on his own, and keeps him on his own for the vast majority of the game, with the sole exception of 1-2 levels in the middle of the game when you meet up with the Infinity. And it's telling that in the second level of the game, when you find the Warthog, it is the first time in the franchise since The Maw that the player is given a 'Hog without at least 1 partner. The story that 343 wants to tell is clearly centered around the Chief as an entity unto himself, as opposed to feeling like a small but highly influential part in a much larger conflict—and it's to both the story and the gameplay's detriment.

I had originally had some minor hopes for Infinite, but the gameplay trailer dashed them pretty quickly since... well, it tells us all we need to know about how 343 is approaching the story and gameplay: The Chief is isolated from allies and fighting by himself on a huge map, and actively tells the only other friendly NPC not to get involved. It's a huge shame and big indication that 343 just doesn't get it, and the game will likely be mediocre regardless of how many brutes or barely indistinguishable guns they put in because they refuse to built the levels and story around what the gameplay is most suited to and what the franchise has done best.

urgh. well, at least now I can always replay Halo 3.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

First time posting in this thread, but I grew up playing the poo poo out of Bungie's Halo games and from viewing the gameplay trailer of Infinity, it was really disappointing to realize that 343 still hasn't figured out what made the old titles so good (Though I'll grant that I haven't played Halo 5, not that I have much inclination to).

To jump on a high horse for a bit, talking about the single-player campaign specifically:

Twenty odd years ago, when the first Halo was being designed, it started out not as an FPS, but an RTS, with the gimmick that the player could jump into one of their units and fight from a third-person perspective. This eventually evolved into first person, and then the entire game was redesigned as an FPS because it turned out that was more fun and interesting—but the idea of the player being merely one unit on a much larger battlefield was reflected in the gameplay and level design of every one of Bungie's subsequent entries, from the beach assault of Silent Cartographer to the titanic battle against the duel scarabs of The Covenant. There were missions where you fought entirely by yourself, but very rarely were they as enjoyable or memorable as the missions you fought alongside allies, and it was these kinds of encounters that truly made the game feel unique and special.

Now, I'm going off old memories by this point, but in Halo 4 that... didn't happen. The game starts with the Chief on his own, and keeps him on his own for the vast majority of the game, with the sole exception of 1-2 levels in the middle of the game when you meet up with the Infinity. And it's telling that in the second level of the game, when you find the Warthog, it is the first time in the franchise since The Maw that the player is given a 'Hog without at least 1 partner. The story that 343 wants to tell is clearly centered around the Chief as an entity unto himself, as opposed to feeling like a small but highly influential part in a much larger conflict—and it's to both the story and the gameplay's detriment.

I had originally had some minor hopes for Infinite, but the gameplay trailer dashed them pretty quickly since... well, it tells us all we need to know about how 343 is approaching the story and gameplay: The Chief is isolated from allies and fighting by himself on a huge map, and actively tells the only other friendly NPC not to get involved. It's a huge shame and big indication that 343 just doesn't get it, and the game will likely be mediocre regardless of how many brutes or barely indistinguishable guns they put in because they refuse to built the levels and story around what the gameplay is most suited to and what the franchise has done best.

urgh. well, at least now I can always replay Halo 3.

I agree. The friendly AI didn't just add to the combat but feel as well. All the combat banter and back and forth added so much charm and personality. Maybe that doesn't fit with the more serious tone 343 is going for?

Hard to get that classic Halo feeling without an overly enthusiastic Australian egging everybody on all the time.

As a side note they actually had some named celebrities, David Cross, Laura Prepon, Michelle Rodriguez do Marine voices in Halo 2, not to mention the Firefly guys in 3. I also liked how although Johnson was the only named one in the script, the friendly voices from CE are there all the way through the trilogy. Bonus points for the Aussie marine not only surviving Halo 1-3 but also being on Earth in the ODST game while also being an ODST himself on Delta Halo at the same time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chips Dubbo is so powerful he transcends space and time and is everywhere at once.

Coming back to these games and experiencing Reach for the first time, I'm very glad that the respawn system is so fast, because the games seem suited to a repetition system but not in a good way. Since Halo Infinite wants to have Doom Eternal's mearhook, I'll use that as my comparison game. A game like Doom Eternal is very, very difficult, but it is designed in such a way that deaths never feel cheap. You always have everything you need to tackle a given situation and threats are laid out for you so you always know where you hosed up. That's not always the case in Halo games because there are a number of one hit kill enemies that Bungie loves to put around corners to ambush you (hello shotgunner flood and fusion rod Brutes) so the repetition doesn't come from you making a mistake, it comes from you dying to a cheap enemy placement or RNG misfortune and then trying to find a way to deal with the cheap enemy on the second you respawn.

It might encourage you to replay, but its less about learning from your mistakes and finding alternate approaches like Doom Eternal and more about memorizing enemy placements so you can cheese it with grenades around the corner or power weapon abuse.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 25, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I reread the part in Ghosts of Onyx where Blue Team first encounters the Gamma Company Spartan IIIs and it led me to think that the IIIs, if properly outfitted with Mjolnir instead of SPI armour, would have been superior to the Spartan IIs. One of the IIIs managed to get a Blue Team Spartan in an arm lock while only wearing the non-strength enhancing Spi armour. Out of armour I'd put the IIs and IIIs as equals, with the IIIs having better, more streamline augmentations but the IIs having decades more combat experience and an innate survival instinct that IIIs lack.

In Mjolnir I think the IIIs violent tendencies would give them the edge.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Squidface Tamerlane

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Oxyclean posted:

At the same time it makes Halo 3 just downright silly with his buddy buddy partnership with Master Chief.

Like, Halo 3 takes place maybe a couple of days after Reach if even that. So by the end of Halo 3 where he's being begrudgingly welcomed at the funeral it's like Thursday or something, when he wiped out his last few billion civilians/soldiers just on the Monday before it.

Retroactively making him out to be this super badass just makes it all the harder to believe his acceptance afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kin posted:

Like, Halo 3 takes place maybe a couple of days after Reach if even that.

Weeks or months, but yes, I agree. Still — by the time of Halo 2 he'd already managed to save all life in the galaxy, plus lead a Covenant schism that saved humanity from certain extinction. It's easy to overlook someone's gigantic atrocities if they're saving your rear end.