Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

I was also just a teen and very annoyed by timeskip rossiu

What if I told you that was the point :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
rossiu lied, people died

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dividing gurren lagann into halves, when it's at least thirds

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i like all the parts of gl, but today what i might like best is post-ep8 up to the first half's end, the recovery from loss is really endearing. also after seeing the whole show+parallel works once and knowing lordgenome's deal it's really cool to see (the movies are a great rewatch) his tragedy being succeeded and overcome by a new generation

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
also liked how how the coolest bit in simon vs lordgenome basically gets replayed in planet with

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

a cartoon duck posted:

i'm not too ashamed to admit that i will resort to double posts to pad my post count in the future

ganbare

KoB
May 1, 2009

dogsicle posted:

he was my favorite, i was also just a teen and very annoyed by timeskip rossiu and not caring about nia at all

its fine they punch rossiu and he gets better.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I also liked that they brought up the fact that most the of the crew were good soldiers in wartime but made poor leaders during peace.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I need to finish Gurren Lagann but I'm still disappointed that the movies weren't dubbed and never will be. It's a dumb reason to not watch them but it would have been so drat cool to have Yuri Lowenthal going extra batshit wild during the final fight and we were denied it because of Aniplex. Maybe I'll take a gander one day because I'm not opposed to watching subs but I'll still be frustrated about what could have been.

Also I'm just ending the final episode at the wedding, nothing else happened after that, no siree nothing happened NOBODY DIED NIA IS OKAY

Zeether fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 25, 2020

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Gurren Lagann fukkin owns

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I liked the movies, but what they did to save time in the second one really undercut a lot of the emotional buildup that was present in the back half regular series. They even lampshade it when the box opens.

And the last fight is dragged out a little, but they did tie it together even better at the very end, followed by borrowing the drill clash animation from the pachinko game, lol.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You got to see yokos tits gainax's work was done at that point

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

homeless snail posted:

dividing gurren lagann into halves, when it's at least thirds

Iirc isn’t each “part” kinda outlined by the title cards? Part 1 has the traditional Japanese style, 2 has the bubbly Nia one, 3 is sterile, and 4 is the traditional one again, iirc. I think people just call it two parts because the timeskip is an obvious one but the show shifts pretty heavily after Kamina’s death.

Space Flower posted:

i like all the parts of gl, but today what i might like best is post-ep8 up to the first half's end, the recovery from loss is really endearing. also after seeing the whole show+parallel works once and knowing lordgenome's deal it's really cool to see (the movies are a great rewatch) his tragedy being succeeded and overcome by a new generation

If TTGL is supposed to be a homage to mecha I kind of really want to know which show homages Simon’s downward spiral of depression and self loathing because it’s really well told.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

If TTGL is supposed to be a homage to mecha I kind of really want to know which show homages Simon’s downward spiral of depression and self loathing because it’s really well told.
some of shinji's emotional breakdowns in eva? it feels a bit victory gundamish too maybe

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

NGE feels like the most obvious one to me since that was the previous big mecha show from Gainax, and a hugely important show to mecha going forward.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

sounds like naruto

Erg posted:

im gonna say .hack//

i remember that had canals and boats and a black thing

Haven't seen any of them.
I'm thinking shin sekai yori? Are tehre flaming arrows in that?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Huh, I only watched Eva last year, I probably should have remembered it.

drat, it’s been a year since I watched Eva already. I should probably watch it again. :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I watched Eva twice last year. First with subs and then with the Netflix dub. Best things about the dub was deffo Shinji's new VA. I also enjoyed Greg Chun playing Kaji because it better underscored how much of a scum-rear end character he is.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

there's a whole episode of gunbuster that's just noriko crying in bed

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

not my kinda thing but hell, I respect it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I watched Eva twice last year. First with subs and then with the Netflix dub. Best things about the dub was deffo Shinji's new VA. I also enjoyed Greg Chun playing Kaji because it better underscored how much of a scum-rear end character he is.

I feel bad for a lot of the VAs in that dub because the new translation is so bad in parts and apparently that’s almost 100% the Japanese side’s meddling because of past drama with the Rebulds. The person that did Shinji was real good tho, yeah. I kinda wish they had just gotten Rei’s new VA to do Asuka though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

uguu posted:

Haven't seen any of them.
I'm thinking shin sekai yori? Are tehre flaming arrows in that?

"Is it okay to pick up girls in a dungeon?" maybe?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Space Flower posted:

also liked how how the coolest bit in simon vs lordgenome basically gets replayed in planet with

how was planet with I don't really see anybody talk about it much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

extremely good, if nothing else the episode with the two judo girls was incredible

very funny too

tries to cram a lot of plot into 12 eps but it never drags at least

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
maria-sama ga miteru s3 is a loving trip

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

I feel bad for a lot of the VAs in that dub because the new translation is so bad in parts and apparently that’s almost 100% the Japanese side’s meddling because of past drama with the Rebulds. The person that did Shinji was real good tho, yeah. I kinda wish they had just gotten Rei’s new VA to do Asuka though.
I hadn't seen much of the ADV dub but I kinda missed Asuka's random German they'd put in

Casey is a perfect Shinji though, the scream in EoE was the right level of horrifying

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

as a level 300 rank on the adtrw anime chat list, i’m accustomed to a certain level of respect

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to use my power as second place to demolish the forums heirarchy

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely has a lot of Satoshi Mizukami's sensibilities as far as writing, humor, and themes. It could have possibly benefited from having a few more episodes for exploring the characters a bit more, especially towards the ending, allowing for a bit more of a naturalistic pacing, but the brevity of the show Is in of itself a benefit, giving the show a rather kinetic energy that makes it easy to binge. I'd definitely recommend it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Zeether posted:

I need to finish Gurren Lagann but I'm still disappointed that the movies weren't dubbed and never will be. It's a dumb reason to not watch them but it would have been so drat cool to have Yuri Lowenthal going extra batshit wild during the final fight and we were denied it because of Aniplex. Maybe I'll take a gander one day because I'm not opposed to watching subs but I'll still be frustrated about what could have been.

Also I'm just ending the final episode at the wedding, nothing else happened after that, no siree nothing happened NOBODY DIED NIA IS OKAY

I'd never seen the movies until right after i saw promare in theatres (and I only watched the second since the first is actually just kind of a recap), and it's a really nice complimentary piece to the series imo. Very focused on accelerating to the last part of the series for obvious reasons though

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Audible is having a summer sale ($6.95 on select books)

Of possible interest to anime fans:

Musashi

The Island of Sea Women

Pachinko

The Woman in the White Kimono

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

it was very nice, a 1cour anime of distilled mizukami (all that breaking your shackles and giving up on rage to be cool and hug people and poo poo w/e) with psychic mech combat and it becomes increasingly obvious that he wants stheno from fgo to tell him to kiss her feet

and then after watching the show you find out he did a twitter comic about starting fgo and wanting to be dominated by stheno but instead 5* dudes came out

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I love how the Detective Conan author just has this really great taste in cars so you have cool poo poo like half the cast driving RX-7s

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

I was so close to 69th place...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol i'm exactly 100 amazing

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Space Flower posted:

it was very nice, a 1cour anime of distilled mizukami (all that breaking your shackles and giving up on rage to be cool and hug people and poo poo w/e) with psychic mech combat and it becomes increasingly obvious that he wants stheno from fgo to tell him to kiss her feet

and then after watching the show you find out he did a twitter comic about starting fgo and wanting to be dominated by stheno but instead 5* dudes came out

rip

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

having suptixed gobu, iktf

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Suyasuyabi427/status/1287041748770803716

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The 2nd half of Gurenn Lagann is good, but Simon vs Lordgenome is still probably my favorite fight in it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Allarion posted:

The 2nd half of Gurenn Lagann is good, but Simon vs Lordgenome is still probably my favorite fight in it all.

when Lord Genome gets out of his mech and punches Simon while laughing is crazy dope