Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was leading with 10 games to go by 5 points and TNS came and signed 5 players, half my starting line up, and now I'm 4 points back with 3 to play.

I mean, fair, people were playing for free on Amateur Contracts and are now getting paid 200 quid a week.

I think I screwed myself by signing so many academy drop outs that would end up being poached to play professionally.

I am up 40k for the season though maybe the club will turn pro? Unless it's a Queens Park situation.

sassassin posted:

Is that Tom Dyson in midfield? Good player in the u18s, was disappointed we released him.

Sure is~!

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Swansea University going professional would be a bit strange but I don't know how it's set up in FM. It's only this year the Welsh leagues got licensing sorted and a new head for the research team who seems a bit keen.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i started a new game of 19 and boy does the "{player} has the flu, do you want to send them home" event seem different now

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

jesus WEP posted:

i started a new game of 19 and boy does the "{player} has the flu, do you want to send them home" event seem different now

Send to morgue

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You know that scene in the Damned United where he hypes up Derby by telling them they're meeting Leeds "As equals" only to get thumped?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

They'll be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
You love to see it:-

heh

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

How tf did you get a stat above 20?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

e: this joke sucked

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

How tf did you get a stat above 20?

I don't know, there's two above 20 on the attribute page

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Gives a new meaning to 'giving it 100 percent'

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Using cheat mods makes signing a bunch of "wonderkids" less impressive.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
No cheats, no mods. Most of them are 2 or 2.5 stars current ability and a vast majority are out on loan.

Just using the method from the article earlier in the the thread, trawling through the youth intakes and scouting every single player (which in itself I suppose is a bit cheaty :shrug: )

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm not sure how the game ends up displaying attribute values higher than 20 without cheating. Even with cheating.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

If there was a company that could do it - it would be SI.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I'm 21 seasons in, I wouldn't even have noticed but I was thinking about resigning and going back down to the Vanarama and was curious what sort of stats I had in the game now.

I've seen a few posts on Reddit from people posting similar oddness on the attributes page, it's hardly beyond the realm of possibility that something in the game is poorly implemented/coded.

Assuming it's a purely visual bug, has anybody else checked on a long save? You normally get the "Characteristics" page when you go to your profile, so attributes isn't something I would usually look at.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 24, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

sassassin posted:

I'm not sure how the game ends up displaying attribute values higher than 20 without cheating. Even with cheating.

I’ve seen it happen with manager/coach stats before as far back as FM18, it usually self-corrects back to 20 within a few ingame days, much like how if you change a player’s PA in the ingame editor without changing the underlying stats, the game will auto-adjust the stats after a few days.

I’ve never seen a stat go over 20 for a player (and the editor won’t allow it) but there must be a bug that temporarily allows it for managers (not that manager stats really do anything anyway).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The only thing I can think of is that some of the maths involve [attribute]/25 as their simple calculation (like consistency, your player will play to his attributes in that many games out of 25) so that might be an upper limit in places. But under the hood (I guess most) attributes are on a 100 point scale which is divided by 5 for the onscreen number displayed (see the player development graphs that track attributes in games and losses of 0.2 at a time).

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I checked back through previous seasons and Discipline has been as high as 24.

It seems to specifically be "Working with Youngsters" and "Level of Discipline" that are affected.

I wonder if there's events in game, responding to player demands, transfer signings etc, that arbitrarily increase an attribute and there's no logic check until a certain point of the season.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

(Private chat)
PLAYER: I want sold so I can play in the Champions League.
MANAGER: Fine, if we don't qualify this year I'll sell you.
PLAYER: Great.

(Team meeting)
MANAGER: I expect us to qualify for the Champions League this year.
SAME PLAYER: This is bullshit we're got good enough for that gently caress YOU I HATE YOU (morale tanks)

I'd happily sell him if Barca or Chelsea would actually make an offer but of course they won't. FM's modeling of agents telling their players unrealistic things like "Barcelona totally wants you!" to agitate them into demanding a new contract is on point.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Given more time to play during lockdown, this is the first time I've really got into a save for the last few versions of FM and therefore the first time I've managed to be at a Premier League club and needing to develop youngsters.

My loan manager seems to be particularly useless, know idea what the gently caress he is supposed to do - but none of my players seem to go out on loan unless I actively offer them out.

Also, the development list is hidden away under Director of Football in the transfer centre and not in the Development Centre where the outgoing loans/progress are found.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I've never trusted the idiot AI with my youth prospects, they can be relied on to do stupid poo poo. You don't want your lads going out to clubs with lovely facilities, and you don't want them ending up playing mostly for some League Two side's U23s when they could jolly well just play for your own U23s. I do all the offering out on loan myself for youth players I care about, and make drat sure if they go out they're going to play (I prefer Key Player playing time but will settle for First Team, never ever Rotation and it pisses me off there's no option to auto-reject loan offers with Rotation playing time) and they're going somewhere that has half decent facilities. And you want to be able to recall them (AI teams WILL occasionally try to sneak a loan with Can Be Recalled disabled)

I used to pour enormous amounts of time into this, until I realized that if you're spending too much time on youth loans then you have too drat many youth prospects. There's not much point in keeping more than about ten kids around that you actually give a poo poo about their development, unless you actively enjoy running a massive youth system that stocks half of Europe with players. You can only play 11 dudes at a time.

(I actually like to add an Unused Monthly Fee to loans to encourage the loaning team to actually loving play the lad, but I have no idea if it actually makes any difference and I doubt it does)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't think AI managers consider the relative costs of playing people with clauses at all.

The best youth development strategy is to use them in your own team as soon as they won't embarrass themselves. 10-15 appearances a season, 20-30 mins at a time, as well as playing for the youth side. Your senior squad should be small enough that there's room for young players to get that with normal rotation/injury mishaps, and have the right personalities shape a young mind until a double leg break ends his career at 20.

Loans are for batch jobs where you've got a bus full of kids and don't care about which one makes it, as long as someone does.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Unless I'm really looking to mold someone into the next big thing, and there's only ever one or two of those at a time, a loan is also a good way to add that final layer of polish. After a few years playing 10-15 times a season, often off the bench, when a kid is good enough for most teams in Europe but not me, I send him off to see how he does. It'll increase his value, and let you know if it's worth making space for him.

There's also something quite nice about Madrid's star striker being your 21 year old 3rd choice. And even nicer about then seeing £80-100 mil offers for him the following summer.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Wonky manager attributes seemed to reset back to normal values around the beginning of July.

I've only really been loaning out players where we're really over populated in a particular position, of the 12 wonderkids I had in my squad, 5 of them were centre midfielders. It made sense to loan out at least 3 of them as i already had 3 or 4 top class midfielders anyway - a couple of the loanees were going out to be regular starters in Serie A teams and playing Champions League football.

Developing the youth players is pretty much the most fun I'm getting out of the game, I'll buy loads for small amounts on scout recommendations and if they make it to the first team, great! If not, they're fetching £15-25 million for even the 2.5 star players.

The best crop of youngsters I've had is when I'd not long been in the Premier League and I could play very average youngsters every game because they were as good as the older players, several of those went on to be world class. Assuming from that, that game time is probably more important at that age than facilities (we had poo poo training and youth facilities at that point). More recently a striker who really didn't seem to be progressing at all until I stuck him out on the wing because I had nobody else and he's turned into an absolute monster.

Problem is I can't resist buying the guys my scouts rate highly and the game has a habit of making them all the same position for a period of time. Game is currently flooded with incredible midfielders and left backs and no decent centre backs.

The development list seems to be pretty useful for batch loans, you can set the level of training facilities you want the club to have, the game time you want your guy to have, all on an individual basis. My problem is it's in a really awkward position for the function it serves, I would assume that the development list would be under the development centre where the Loans section already is.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 26, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
For teenagers I think meeting minimum gametime > facilities/environment > additional gametime for how fast they develop. Once players reach ~21/22 then they need to start playing as often as possible at the highest level possible. There's always a random element but the attributes of a 18 year old wonderkid will fly up without much time on the itch. You can and should baby them so they don't get hurt/burned out.

What won't fly up is his reputation and player value. But these aren't things a manager should care about.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stotty posted:

Game is currently flooded with incredible midfielders and left backs and no decent centre backs.

All the talented kids irl play midfield/centre forward in u18s. You need to retrain a couple of tall ones.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sassassin posted:

I don't think AI managers consider the relative costs of playing people with clauses at all.

The best youth development strategy is to use them in your own team as soon as they won't embarrass themselves. 10-15 appearances a season, 20-30 mins at a time, as well as playing for the youth side. Your senior squad should be small enough that there's room for young players to get that with normal rotation/injury mishaps, and have the right personalities shape a young mind until a double leg break ends his career at 20.

Loans are for batch jobs where you've got a bus full of kids and don't care about which one makes it, as long as someone does
Yeah if I have a prospect in a position where a lovely performance isn’t likely to single-handedly lose games (fullback or maybe central midfielder) that I’m really high on, I just throw them in the first team and let them learn by doing. If/when they somehow get on a run of good form their development always seems to catch fire, attributes go through the roof, etc

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I want to know who the rear end in a top hat was that didn't renew, and I want his head on a plate.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Claude from AFTV finally banned by the club for racism.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

sassassin posted:

For teenagers I think meeting minimum gametime > facilities/environment > additional gametime for how fast they develop. Once players reach ~21/22 then they need to start playing as often as possible at the highest level possible. There's always a random element but the attributes of a 18 year old wonderkid will fly up without much time on the itch. You can and should baby them so they don't get hurt/burned out.

What won't fly up is his reputation and player value. But these aren't things a manager should care about.

Given high potential young'ins, are they better off dominating your U18 team or getting starts on the B-team? I try to spot them a game here or there with my first team, but I'm wondering what's the best course of action. The truly best prospects I've been able to jump directly from U18 to 1st team bench/rotation. The good prospects that develop a bit slower, I wonder if they're better off on the U18 team or the B team.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

B team is for the youths who age out of the u18s without making the grade (and probably never will) and first teamers recovering from injury.

Anyone worth a drat is either in the first team squad or out on loan.

Probably a little different if you've got a B team that plays in a real league, though.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Well I'm currently playing as AZ in the Eredivisie so their reserve team plays in the 2nd league, so that's why my feeling is that the reserve team must surely get better quality of competition (and thus yielding better progression) than the youth team?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In England the U23 team is for guys age 18-20 who can be break-glass-in-case-of-emergency squad cover for the rash of injuries to everyone that can play one particular position that happens incessantly in FM without having to be registered. If they’re actual potential first-teamers then they should be either getting regular first team time or out on loan yeah (and will usually start bitching about it pretty soon if they’re not, in my experience).

e: the Dutch second division is about on par with the English League One IIRC.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 27, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Eerste Divisie is competitive senior football so it's a good level for young players to experience, far better than normal age group games or friendly B matches.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Couple neat things from my save:

Reserve team made it to Polish cup final, including beating the senior team in the semis

An actual world class or nearly there player from New Zealand, no second nationality or anything

Also, the match engine is poo poo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I gave up on Swansea Uni after finishing mid table in the first season in the premier league. I am too old to grind that out, according to google clubs need to have about a million in bank to go from Amateur to Semi-Pro.

I jumped to Bala instead, made it to R2 of the Europa League 2 Qualifiers and that seems genuinely possible as we got dumped out losing 1 nil away and winning 2-1 AET at home. Also we played our games at Wrexham lol. And for WPL teams the money from those qualifiers makes a difference.

Sitting comfortably 2nd on table with a third of the season gone. Total Network Solutions have checked out already. I think if I keep getting money from EL2 I'll earn enough to try and rough up Total Network Solutions in a year or two.

Then hopefully CL and then ridiculousness. The goal is to do what someone did a few years ago where you increase the coefficient so your league gets automatic group stage places lol.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 30, 2020

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Miles put out a statement confirming the inevitable: that no mere global health emergency can stop the onward march of more Football Manager games.
He does say that he expects it to launch later than usual; I'm assuming, since he mentions it elsewhere, this is partly due to wanting confirmation of what various leagues are actually going to do in terms of fixtures.

There's also the bit that hopefully some of the more gammony fans read, where he states "I would be very surprised if we’re all back in the studio working together until well into next year". Which is more sensible than any message the Tories are putting out.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

kingturnip posted:

Miles put out a statement confirming the inevitable: that no mere global health emergency can stop the onward march of more Football Manager games.
He does say that he expects it to launch later than usual; I'm assuming, since he mentions it elsewhere, this is partly due to wanting confirmation of what various leagues are actually going to do in terms of fixtures.

There's also the bit that hopefully some of the more gammony fans read, where he states "I would be very surprised if we’re all back in the studio working together until well into next year". Which is more sensible than any message the Tories are putting out.

Obviously some people are going to want the thing that most mirrors real-life, but wouldn't they want to have a "normal" option for people who just want to play football sims without it having to mirror a phenomenally unlikely current event? For example, other sports games, like OOTP, don't force players to realistically emulate strike seasons.