Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

The logical conclusion of 'Israel is inherently a racist colonial project' is very much 'There is only one state and its name is Palestine'. Nobody has to be driven into the sea for that to happen though.

China? East Palestine. Europe? West Palestine. America? Overseas Palestine.

UK? Mandatory Palestine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I went shopping today and everyone was wearing masks inside the place. Nobody really seemed that bothered. I can imagine it being worse on a really hot day though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ronya posted:

Substitute 'does not/should not have the right to exist', if you wish

lol okay John Mann.

(Israel shouldn't exist because no states should exist)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

How long do you suppose John Mann waited to add "Lord" to his Twitter handle after it was made official?
Or are we into 'oscillations of an electron' territory?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/alexx_sandy/status/1286570983428632576/photo/1

Oh these are fun!
Tall Ships, obviously. Weird that they're not flying the ensign.
Excellent Italian Greyhound- probably a Shellac reference.
4 Horsemen on the left. Metallica.
Elephant Riders- early Clutch album.
Fella on the hill on the horse. Maybe riders on a storm by the Doors?
Siouxie Sioux and the Banshees.

I like how they've made it extra difficult by only using pre-19th century imagery so nobody can cheat by having actually lived through any of it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

namesake posted:

The logical conclusion of 'Israel is inherently a racist colonial project' is very much 'There is only one state and its name is Palestine'. Nobody has to be driven into the sea for that to happen though.

i dont really agree with that though, or at least i dont really think nations get original sin. all nations do lovely things and its whether they own up to that and work to mitigate the lasting damage and move forward.

the UK is an even better example of a nation that hasn't confronted its misdeeds than israel imo, we ran a genocidal racist empire recently but nowadays can't even discuss racism pro-statueism and we've been helping the saudis do our old starvation poo poo to the yemenis without so much as a murmur.

so i don't think modern israel has to be inherently racist, even if it began as a colonial project and the current gov want to keep it as one.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I see some idiots posting z word in comments on leftie friends' FB posts. Usually only one or two in long strings of comments, but enough to make me not want to comment on a post that is 'public' even though I'm not in the labour party anymore, liking a post that someone else makes a 'bad' comment on after you pressed 'like' was sufficient to get you booted out in the 2016 purges by McNicol, Baxter and co.

Yeahhhh but that stuff needs calling out - you don't have to be hostile about it, but someone needs to say that it's not ok, otherwise it just starts to pass as normal. I ran into someone who was into the whole global conspiracy thing and seemed genuinely unaware and upset that "the Rothschilds" was an antisemitic trope and not just some wealthy well-connected family dynasty

I know what you mean but that purge stuff was just blatant anti-left activity, the only way you can be "safe" from it is to hide your leftism and never be seen taking those positions - which is really what they want in the end. And like you said, they'll get people anyway for liking a thing or... didn't someone get booted for saying a band sucks? They want people paranoid and afraid to speak up

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

baka kaba posted:

Yeahhhh but that stuff needs calling out - you don't have to be hostile about it, but someone needs to say that it's not ok, otherwise it just starts to pass as normal. I ran into someone who was into the whole global conspiracy thing and seemed genuinely unaware and upset that "the Rothschilds" was an antisemitic trope and not just some wealthy well-connected family dynasty

I know what you mean but that purge stuff was just blatant anti-left activity, the only way you can be "safe" from it is to hide your leftism and never be seen taking those positions - which is really what they want in the end. And like you said, they'll get people anyway for liking a thing or... didn't someone get booted for saying a band sucks? They want people paranoid and afraid to speak up

You're right. But I am a cowardy custard and I don't like conflict!

The band one was a woman who had posted a tweet saying "I f* love the Foo Fighters" only she wrote the full f word.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Communist Thoughts posted:

i dont really agree with that though, or at least i dont really think nations get original sin. all nations do lovely things and its whether they own up to that and work to mitigate the lasting damage and move forward.

the UK is an even better example of a nation that hasn't confronted its misdeeds than israel imo, we ran a genocidal racist empire recently but nowadays can't even discuss racism pro-statueism and we've been helping the saudis do our old starvation poo poo to the yemenis without so much as a murmur.

so i don't think modern israel has to be inherently racist, even if it began as a colonial project and the current gov want to keep it as one.

There's a difference between empire apologism in the core and settler mentality in the colony though, particularly because in Israels case there isn't a core nation to retreat to. Adequate reformation in that case is little different than dissolution.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the guardian everyone

https://twitter.com/judeinlondon2/status/1287010904740179969?s=20

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

What does Corbyn know and when did he know it...?! Just asking questions here people

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You're right. But I am a cowardy custard and I don't like conflict!

The band one was a woman who had posted a tweet saying "I f* love the Foo Fighters" only she wrote the full f word.

lol that was it

and yeah I'm not gonna tell people how to interact in their social circle or anything, but you can gently mention stuff in a non-accusing, general way - like most of the time it's not even about the person you're addressing (people can get automatically defensive whatever it is), more the other people reading who might need to hear it or be happy someone's saying something

It's worth thinking about anyway! Listen to some foo fighters and get pumped up to make a comment

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Zionist isn't a bad word any more than neoliberal is. In fact maybe even less because they go describe ideologies but zionist as a term is so broad as to not mean anything. Support "the only democracy in the middle east" and think throwing bacon sarnies on Muslims is funny? Zionist. Think Jews should have their own country because every country shits on their minorities but as a single state with equal rights and the right of return for Palestinians? Congrats, that's also technically a zionist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Channel 4 news showed a picture of the BB gun in question (I'd post it but I'm on my phone) and it was a pretty convincing gun, besides a blue stripe along the top, which presumably wouldn't show up easily in low lighting. Such guns should definitely be brightly coloured, if they're toys i see no reason not to have them brightly coloured.

But since they're not, the police should definitely be assuming toy first, weapon later. All they needed to do was knock on the door, tell them they'd had a report of a gun being sighted through the window, I'm sure the family would have been happy to show them it and clear it all up.
I know some guys who were rehearsing a theatre thing with replica/decommissioned firearms that you couldn't tell from the real thing who were seen inside their dwelling and reported to police, and another guy who left a photography prop in a window by mistake during a public event (and also got a bunch of money from that article because they used his own photos without credit) and in both cases the police managed to sort it out without SWAT teams or searching the properties or anyone getting arrested or manhandled.

Yes they were all white in both cases why do you ask.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

I know some guys who were rehearsing a theatre thing with replica/decommissioned firearms that you couldn't tell from the real thing who were seen inside their dwelling and reported to police, and another guy who left a photography prop in a window by mistake during a public event (and also got a bunch of money from that article because they used his own photos without credit) and in both cases the police managed to sort it out without SWAT teams or searching the properties or anyone getting arrested or manhandled.

Yes they were all white in both cases why do you ask.

I know a guy who was walking down the street with a chair leg and got shot dead by police. He was Scottish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Harry_Stanley

quote:

Shooting
On 22 September 1999, Stanley was returning home from the Alexandra Pub in South Hackney carrying, in a plastic bag, a table leg that had been repaired by his brother earlier that day. Someone had phoned the police to report "an Irishman with a gun wrapped in a bag".[2]

At the junction of Fremont Street and Victoria Park Road in South Hackney, close to his home, Inspector Neil Sharman and PC Kevin Fagan, the crew of a Metropolitan Police Armed Response Vehicle challenged Stanley from behind. As he turned to face them, they shot him dead at a distance of 15 feet (5 m).[3]

(The shooters got off in the end).

This was at a time when Irish people were the bad guys instead of muslims.

One thing that never seems to get taken into account is deaf people - suppose police shout warnings and you're deaf and don't hear them so they shoot you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you're a Brazilian electrician you don't even need the chair leg.

London police do seem to be disproportionately trigger happy though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

shouldnt have deleted the tweet imo

if it was just them saying he supported corbyn thatd be a huge reach, but now they do have something to report on linking corbyn to the guy

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

forkboy84 posted:

lol okay John Mann.

(Israel shouldn't exist because no states should exist)

This is daft, how would the world cup even work?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Same as it does now, football associations compete, not states, otherwise the UK would only be able to field one team. Plus the CONIFA teams would be able to join in.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Hmmm. OK it seems fine then.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Communist Thoughts posted:

shouldnt have deleted the tweet imo

if it was just them saying he supported corbyn thatd be a huge reach, but now they do have something to report on linking corbyn to the guy

Nah the media would currently be reporting that Corbyn hasn't yet deleted the tweet.

The Guardian would be running opinion pieces asking if this is a sign Corbyn still stands by him.

When finally the tweet is deleted after being mentioned in every article related to the topic so far, there would then be an article about how Corbyn had to be pressured into deleting the tweet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Desiderata posted:

Nah the media would currently be reporting that Corbyn hasn't yet deleted the tweet.

The Guardian would be running opinion pieces asking if this is a sign Corbyn still stands by him.

When finally the tweet is deleted after being mentioned in every article related to the topic so far, there would then be an article about how Corbyn had to be pressured into deleting the tweet.

Yes I was going to say this, taking it down is the right thing to do even if it is entirely performative, because context doesn't exist in the UK media unless you're a white guy who murders left wing MPs.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know a guy who was walking down the street with a chair leg and got shot dead by police. He was Scottish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Harry_Stanley

(The shooters got off in the end).

This was at a time when Irish people were the bad guys instead of muslims.

My dad told me that in the 70's he had to go to England to get work.
He said he learnt very quick to listen, not speak and when he did speak to do so with a faux English accent so they wouldn't peg him as Irish.
Probably exactly for reasons like this.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Or he should have put up another tweet saying I withdraw my earlier thanks for your support as I don't need supporters with these kind of views. Or just not have a twitter at all.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

In twitter-is-poo poo news, a friend of mine was looking to clear out some bookcases ahead of a moving flat and posted her ebay auctions on twitter. She now has a bunch of absolute narcs trying to get her fired from her job for disobeying the "not for resale" they write inside proof copies.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Miftan posted:

Zionist isn't a bad word any more than neoliberal is. In fact maybe even less because they go describe ideologies but zionist as a term is so broad as to not mean anything. Support "the only democracy in the middle east" and think throwing bacon sarnies on Muslims is funny? Zionist. Think Jews should have their own country because every country shits on their minorities but as a single state with equal rights and the right of return for Palestinians? Congrats, that's also technically a zionist.

Yeah David Graeber talks a bit about this, how he's from a family of leftist Zionists who were part of a group wanting to establish a communal society together with the Arab population, so it's not fair to lump everyone in with the current right-wing government and their policies and approach to Zionism

but there's context (or lack of it) too and sometimes people do use the word in, uh, unhelpful ways. Like if people want to criticise the Israeli state and its propaganda efforts, and the (often minority-Jewish) pro-Israel groups that work towards those political ends, "zionist conspiracy" probably shouldn't be a phrase that gets used however technically correct it might be

plus it's incredibly easy to latch onto at this point, if you just throw the word around it's an easy way to absolutely destroy a discussion or weird people out because of the associations, so people gotta be careful about how they use it

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Louis Farrakhan was an antisemite, but I think that gets used to drum up tensions between Africans and Jews a bit too much.

African-AMERICANS you mean. Which is a different community from African-Africans or Afro-Caribbean people; I don't think he had much pull there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Nearly everyone at the supermarket is wearing a mask which is nice to see. All you posters saying people are refusing etc must be southerners

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I saw exactly one person not wearing one yesterday, and another who'd just wrapped her headscarf up around her mouth.

But a lot of people taking them off literally the instant they stepped foot out the door of the shop, wandering around with them pulled down onto their neck, etc.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Miftan posted:

You are absolutely correct, however it is also correct that the atmosphere of rampant paranoia around diacussion of Israel / Palestine means that using the Z word as a leftist instantly invites destruction from a hostile press. You can be as factually correct as you like, but you'll get Corbyned into the sea quicker than you can say "Well actually..."

E: Which obviously is the fault of the idiots reporting on it who don't have a clue about the complexity of the issue, but would still be absolutely indignant in insisting that an antisemitic slur was used.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 25, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

There was some youngish lad walked into budgens without a mask. His mate was in there already with a mask on but it pulled it down to chat to him.

There was an obnoxious lady in tesco without one whom I'm sure had raised her volume levels in an attempt to draw attention to her lack of mask in the hopes she could get in an argument about it. Her boyfriend was silently following her around wearing his mask.

These were aberrations, everyone else seemed to have them on.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I had to go to two shops today and saw a 100% mask rate. The woman in the queue in front of me in the corner shop did nothing but bitch and moan about having to wear a mask for the entire time, but I suspect she may have been a loving idiot.

I got my handmade masks from the Food bank donation Goon yesterday so had a chance to test drive one, very good!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There was an obnoxious lady in tesco without one whom I'm sure had raised her volume levels in an attempt to draw attention to her lack of mask in the hopes she could get in an argument about it. Her boyfriend was silently following her around wearing his mask.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

my local farm shop

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

avoiding me... like the plague!!!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You are absolutely correct, however it is also correct that the atmosphere of rampant paranoia around diacussion of Israel / Palestine means that using the Z word as a leftist instantly invites destruction from a hostile press. You can be as factually correct as you like, but you'll get Corbyned into the sea quicker than you can say "Well actually..."

E: Which obviously is the fault of the idiots reporting on it who don't have a clue about the complexity of the issue, but would still be absolutely indignant in insisting that an antisemitic slur was used.

It just baffles me as a "slur" because zionists use it to self identify their ideology?? It's a super positive term in Israel and every politician is gagging to show how much of a zionist they are (even the left leaning parties) because it equates to caring about Israel. Sort of like being proud to be English/British here.

Anyway I can get away with it cause I'm an Israeli jew but I can see why forrins might not want to wade into that specific mess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

Sort of like being proud to be English/British here.

That's a fun comparison :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
How the gently caress the fash this time round managed to continue being extremely antisemitic whilst appropriating the entire concept as a weapon against the left I don't think I will ever understand, but it saddens and scares me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean they haven't, it's just a thing for people to say rather than saying what they actually think. The right is built on contradictions.

It utility is nearly all just a mental out for liberals and something to fill news time with, and the press has already run its credibility into the toilet trying not to report political reality.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Those people in Syria and the Gaza Strip who think they've had it rough could learn a thing or two from Lara Crabb there. What a trooper