Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Sankis posted:

As a newer player of LOTRO, an mmo that's already well past being old, this server stuff really makes me worry for the game's future and I was already worrying due to Amazon and such.

Hopefully there are people quietly working away on an emulator. it'd be a shame if this game didn't outlive its developer(s).

I wouldn't worry too much. Based on what's down (global chat/friends list) it looks like the same thing that went down all the time with Asheron's Call 2 some 15 years back, which LOTRO used the same engine for.

MMOs don't die, they can only be killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

I'm not sure if chat causes the lag, or if it was something else that they've been fixing, but on Brandywine, I am getting 0% loss and over 100 fps as an average, and I usually run at like 40 fps and 50-60% loss.

If it is world chat that causes the lag issues, then they should kill it, I really haven't missed it at all.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?681926-Thank-You-Coupon-(and-a-quick-apology)

First part of the compensation for downtime is redeeming code THANKYOUGIFT . The compensation for lost VIP time's still in the works.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?681934-A-Note-of-Apology-and-Thanks

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i just did the napkin math on how many scrolls of empowerment i'll need to max out my LIs and holy poo poo this system is bananas. it's funny seeing years worth of posts online about an upcoming LI revamp that still hasn't happened. it'd be cool if they did that but i guess they need all hands on deck now to make sure the servers stay on?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Kaysette posted:

i just did the napkin math on how many scrolls of empowerment i'll need to max out my LIs and holy poo poo this system is bananas. it's funny seeing years worth of posts online about an upcoming LI revamp that still hasn't happened. it'd be cool if they did that but i guess they need all hands on deck now to make sure the servers stay on?

Don't forget you can trade in motes (the main currency that you get for dissolving any gear Mordor and later) for scrolls at a fairly generous rate, it's a stopgap SSG put in until the actual revamp.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?679670-Update-26-brings-Scrolls-of-Empowerment-and-Star-lit-crystals-for-motes-and-ash

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Lum_ posted:

Don't forget you can trade in motes (the main currency that you get for dissolving any gear Mordor and later) for scrolls at a fairly generous rate, it's a stopgap SSG put in until the actual revamp.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?679670-Update-26-brings-Scrolls-of-Empowerment-and-Star-lit-crystals-for-motes-and-ash

Oh, that does help. Thanks! The guide I was using was written before that update.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Is it just me, or is the drop rate for gear in Mordor horrific? I haven’t found one item that I can turn into a mote yet, and I’m level 112

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Cnidario posted:

Is it just me, or is the drop rate for gear in Mordor horrific? I haven’t found one item that I can turn into a mote yet, and I’m level 112

I don't remember much loot dropping there. I mostly used the crystal on quest rewards from earlier Mordor zones that got replaced.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Cnidario posted:

IIRC Mordor mobs dropped gear for a glorious few weeks after launch, and then they realized that meant you could get arbitrary amounts of their bullshit currency without paying Turbine Bux for them and removed all the drops from the game.

Ghosty
Aug 13, 2020
I’ve actually really wanted to play this game for a long time now (I did have an account back in SoA but never really played). I’m just cautious that I’ve missed years of content. Is that stuff still playable in roughly the same form as it was back then? If so I’m definitely giving the game a chance.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ghosty posted:

I’ve actually really wanted to play this game for a long time now (I did have an account back in SoA but never really played). I’m just cautious that I’ve missed years of content. Is that stuff still playable in roughly the same form as it was back then? If so I’m definitely giving the game a chance.

Virtues and probably class specializations have been reworked somewhat since you last played, but I wouldn't call the game substantially different.

Ghosty
Aug 13, 2020

Hello Sailor posted:

Virtues and probably class specializations have been reworked somewhat since you last played, but I wouldn't call the game substantially different.

Can you still get groups together to do all the old content?

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
If you're willing to make the group and advertise it in chat you can usually find folks to join you. There are also periodic community organized events to tour older content, posted on the official forums or discord.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Kaysette posted:

Now for something that was posted about for years that has apparently happened: more housing hooks and customizeability! Holy cow, I haven't played for months or maybe years, and I just spent my first 4+ hours placing furniture.

I'll probably spend another day dealing with overflowing storage woes and then another day remembering how to play and setting keybinds. Then if I make it that far I might figure out where I left off and start actually playing the game

The Big D
Oct 3, 2002
just got all that free stuff before the end of August and figured that was a good reason to play again aside from burning through content in everything else I've been playing lately. Cant get my Silverlode stuff back for now but I made a ranger which i never tried and just joined the Kinship which i dont think i even joined when i was on Silverlode because i played solo so much. Any benefit to being in the kinship like more XP%? Already a VIP for the bonus which feels like that's good enough for now.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Kinship is also a free teleport to our private island, which can be a nice shortcut depending on what you're doing in the game.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I was gone longer than I thought, because I completely missed an acquisition by Standing Stone games 4 years ago. How have they been for the game? I've been having a really hard time deciding whether to work past the slump of Eastern Rohan, where I last burned out. I mostly do solo questing, and the game has felt like I'm farming bear asses with no chance of a challenge since I left Moria (or maybe the aggro radius nerf, those coincided for me).

Edit because I feel like I necro'd a thread:

jalapeno_dude posted:

The solo content gets good again once you hit Gondor. It never really gets that difficult as a solo player (every solo quest needs to be completable regardless of your class, so they really can't require too intense DPS or healing checks when some classes have terrible individual DPS or the survivability of a wet paper bag). That said, on level Mordor was a notable step up in solo difficulty - it was the first time you had to worry about bringing Finesse to prevent mobs from blocking all your attacks, for example.

Thanks for this, it does give me some hope! And yeah, I think some of the original difficulty I found in this game came from lack of early MMO polish/balance, the frequent unfairness of which which ironically made MMO's much more fun to me.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 15, 2020

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Remy Marathe posted:

I was gone longer than I thought, because I completely missed an acquisition by Standing Stone games 4 years ago. How have they been for the game? I've been having a really hard time deciding whether to work past the slump of Eastern Rohan, where I last burned out. I mostly do solo questing, and the game has felt like I'm farming bear asses with no chance of a challenge since I left Moria (or maybe the aggro radius nerf, those coincided for me).

The solo content gets good again once you hit Gondor. It never really gets that difficult as a solo player (every solo quest needs to be completable regardless of your class, so they really can't require too intense DPS or healing checks when some classes have terrible individual DPS or the survivability of a wet paper bag). That said, on level Mordor was a notable step up in solo difficulty - it was the first time you had to worry about bringing Finesse to prevent mobs from blocking all your attacks, for example.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Some updates:

- new mini-expansion, War of the Three Peaks, is on Bullroarer now. Basically just a new zone leading up to the next full expansion (Gundabad). Unlike literally everything else this past year, you'll have to pay for it, and in cash. (Or skip it, since there's no increase in level cap and one new raid, and it's pretty pricy at $20.)
- thanks to some leaked data, looks like a new class (Brawler) is coming with the Gundabad expansion

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 27, 2020

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I burnt out in Rohan and can't seem to make it out of there with my Captain due to a crippling lack of any kind of motivation but a new class would probably get me to jump back in and gently caress around for a while. I'd take them through Moria at the very least because Moria owns bones.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve settled on making my first character past like level 20 a captain

Have i made a huge mistake . It seems their damage was buffed in 2019

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

I’ve settled on making my first character past like level 20 a captain

Have i made a huge mistake . It seems their damage was buffed in 2019

They've always been a great class, they just sucked to level cause they did so little damage, the buffs last year make leveling much easier now and they are still a great in demand class for groups.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok great.

I am assuming grouping up to cap will be rare if at all

edit

Was the damage increase across all lines or just red?

euphronius fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 29, 2020

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

Ok great.

I am assuming grouping up to cap will be rare if at all

edit

Was the damage increase across all lines or just red?

Not positive I think mainly in red and that was all I tried.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lum_ posted:

Some updates:

- new mini-expansion, War of the Three Peaks, is on Bullroarer now. Basically just a new zone leading up to the next full expansion (Gundabad). Unlike literally everything else this past year, you'll have to pay for it, and in cash. (Or skip it, since there's no increase in level cap and one new raid, and it's pretty pricy at $20.)
- thanks to some leaked data, looks like a new class (Brawler) is coming with the Gundabad expansion

Wish I could sugar coat it but War of The Three Peaks seems like content to buy if you're: Level 130 and bored and don't care about bad company behavior or: Very rich.

I've come back for basically every big update to this game but it's a scummy move. TLDR: The reason it's not free to VIPs is because it's a "mini-expansion", not a quest pack. What does that mean? It's a very typical, some testers even say underwhelming sized quest pack for $20 with a single boar skinned mount for $60 or two kinds of boar skinned mouns for $100.

Don't think they even skinned a war steed version, and many people are disappointed. I'll definitely play through the content, but probably wait until I can use up LOTRO points from years ago

As far as brawlers go I am half excited even though I can easily predict them taking even more jobs from champions and being pay to win mode for a solid half year, we'll see once Gundabad is ready

extra stout fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 16, 2020

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

yeah, i'm gonna sit this one out. i had a blast getting through all the minas morgul content over the summer but this doesn't seem worth it.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I look forward to buying it at 50% off in a sale next year.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
There probably isn’t much point to getting it at all unless you do it now before the next major expansion comes out.

It’s something to play if you’re already at 130 and would like to run some more quests, or you want some new instances to run with other end-gamers.

Once Gundabad hits, it’ll only be more content that you skip over while leveling like Enedwaith and the “In Their Absence” instance cluster are since Isengard.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

That was my primary worry about this min-expansion. ugh

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

gyrf posted:

There probably isn’t much point to getting it at all unless you do it now before the next major expansion comes out.

It’s something to play if you’re already at 130 and would like to run some more quests, or you want some new instances to run with other end-gamers.

Once Gundabad hits, it’ll only be more content that you skip over while leveling like Enedwaith and the “In Their Absence” instance cluster are since Isengard.

Last time I leveled a character in Lotro I ran most of Mirkwood and Enedwaith so I could skip Isengard. No regrets. I hated that expansion and its storyline.

"Hey go around helping all these groups, also here's the NPC who's so obviously going to betray you that it's hard to pretend otherwise."

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://massivelyop.com/2020/12/01/daybreak-has-been-sold-again-this-time-to-eg7-global-for-300m/

With no knowledge of these new people: It can't possibly be worse than the path SSG was going. I would imagine with news of just how far away the new LoTR "MMO" is, this might be the time to throw some actual money or even some new better devs at LoTRO and make it more profitable for 3-5? years.

The current path was going to be loot boxes, quest packs pretending to be expansions, and the company just flat out ignoring us for a year until Gundabad with a community manager who still cannot play the game without a team of people to press the buttons for him, so I think it could be good. If it kills the game, it can't do it any faster than SSG was going to.

Doubtful about the console port claims unless they've got a whole squad of new devs to bring in. The current devs are about 7 years behind on every promise they've ever made down to making it so I can link my maxed out LIs (the most valuable piece of gear in the game)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
As a big EQ player (played on a TLP for the past 3 years, just stopped a few months ago finally), I don't get the impression that even though Daybreak technically owned SSG, that they really had much to do with actual management of its properties. EQ still isn't filled with loot boxes or that shady "quest pack = expac" bullshit anything.

As an EQ fan (and a LOTRO fan although I haven't played in a couple of years now), my real sad face regarding how "whatever name the people running / owning EQ have this month that has changed 50 times in the past 5 years" is that the franchise is basically dead.

I feel that since LOTRO is at least based off something as huge as LOTR that it has a chance for a real new MMO some day.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If Brawler is just a punchman class, that's all I'm gonna play for a while.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Posting late here, through December 10th usually means 3 AM EST on December 11th though

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-beacon-issue-184

Yuletide Sales every week in December! This week, get:

35% off Minas Morgul in the older LOTRO Market
50% off Premium Wallet
75% off Eriador Bundle

Now through December 10th!

---

Now until January 9th in the older LOTRO Market, get 50% off:

Mordor Ultimate, Collector’s, and Standard editions
Helm’s Deep
Riders of Rohan Base Edition
Rise of Isengard Base edition
Mines of Moria
Siege of Mirkwood
Quad pack
Get more information about this offer on LOTRO.com.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
$20 for Mordor is a good price, especially since it comes with a boost so if you're like a lot of people and burnt out in Rohan you can use that to breeze through to Gondor where the game is fun again.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

LOL, I just noticed that the Helm's Deep expansion is still nearly twice the price of Mordor and Minas Morgul in the in-game store, even after they gave away all the quest content for (almost) free this summer. :v:

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
So I just reinstalled this, and it is just as lovely and atmospheric as I remember. Great escapism. But, uh. My highest level character is a warden, and after about 2 years out of the gameplay loop, it's quite overwhelming! I suppose I could just go out into the world and experiment - I am only level 32 after all - but are there any more general-concept guides to wardens out there? I COULD sit through a 40 minute video explaining dungeon tactics and high level gearing in detail, but, uh, I won't.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bobfly posted:

My highest level character is a warden, and after about 2 years out of the gameplay loop, it's quite overwhelming! I suppose I could just go out into the world and experiment - I am only level 32 after all - but are there any more general-concept guides to wardens out there? I COULD sit through a 40 minute video explaining dungeon tactics and high level gearing in detail, but, uh, I won't.

Unless you're hell-bent on soloing every single bit of group content (which, to be fair, wardens are pretty good at), you probably don't need a guide. Just knowing your AoE, DoT and self-heal gambits by heart and making sure you know how to execute them quickly will get you through most stuff easily, including some group quests.

Not sure how well this applies to leveling dungeons, as I've never been able to find a group for one. :(

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I just played a warden up to Mirkwood levels earlier this year. Figure out the best abilities you use the most, like the ones that damage enemies over time and heal you over time. Get used to those and see what works best for your fighting. Then you can look at your other combos in your skill book and try them out. Some trigger deeds and you'll have to do them X times to get one of your trait points. I learned the rest of my abilities by weaving those in when able. Of course now its been half a year since I last played so we'll see what I remember when I come back to the game again. If you're soloing you'll find most stuff pretty easy and you can experiment to pick things up. I'd only sweat a guide or forcing yourself to practice if you decide to join a guild or group doing the harder content on level, which is rare. When I quit I was trying to burn the combos into my muscle memory by using the shortcut abilities you pick up around the mid-levels. They count for the combos but don't do the basic effects, letting you get the bigger combos up more quickly.

Here's a quick reference chart if that helps. It looks daunting but it's not too bad once you get some experience. The main thing to note is some of the combos won't unlock until you are higher level. One of the biggest group damage gambits is shout-shield-shout-shield-shout but you are stuck with the lower version shout-shield-shout at earlier levels. Also you can build them up for greater damage by chaining some combos from weakest to strongest (3-2-3, followed by 3-2-3-2, then 3-2-3-2-3), but that's not necessary on 99% of the fights you will be doing. When I looked at higher level wardens soloing stuff like skirmishes, they would go round up as many enemies as they could while stacking health regens on themselves, then when the enemies were clumped up they'd stack the life stealing damage over time combos on them. I'm not sure if anything has changed since then, I think wardens did get nerfed a bit but I still felt powerful when I last played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Thanks guys, that's honestly really encouraging :)