Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Give me a Dib fights monsters show thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

paradoxGentleman posted:

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I don't really understand what's going on. What does the /mlp/ crowd want that they're not getting, aren't they the majority of MLP fans?

The MLP fandom after the first months or so just became a niche segment of broader furry fandom, except the weirder and nastier people from that beginning were and are so mad about furries that it ended up shaping the fandoms perception, both inside and out, into being stridently not furries or gay. After a few years of this nonsense they eventually lost all relevancy, and all the memes about love and tolerance had lost whatever ironic edge they'd ever had. Anybody who was still watching the show in 2018 either was a gay furry or totally cool with being friends with gay furries, which shouldn't really be surprising.

IMO the weird fandom episode they did for the 100th episode basically burnt out all desire to have the show actually be like that, and after that point the show stopped pressing those buttons and went back to being a good kids show instead, which was a very good decision.

With the fandom slowly petering out after the show ended and the next version of the show being basically Teen Titans Go, for better or worse, the fandom has gotten small enough that the same weird nasty angry people are loud enough to matter again. They still aren't a majority, but boy do they love posting about nazi pony/ies on every website that will let them, and at this point those sites are running out of other people who still care enough to do anything about it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CelticPredator posted:

I never moved on but I don’t want anything to do with sexy spiders

8 legs

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Robindaybird posted:

EDIT: wrong thing, but yeah this is the kind of art by people who consumed a lot of Invader Zim and other Hot Topic darlings and never really moved on.

Devil's advocate: The Invader Zim art styles is good and I don't mind seeing it imitated at all. And this is one of the funniest scenes of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wybaOLXA3s4

Hazbin Hotel is one of those things that I have no strong feelings about one way or the other. Which feels kind of weird to me because I've had way stronger opinions on much dumber stuff. I don't hate it, I don't love it, I don't mind the art style, yet I totally understand why other people wouldn't be able to stand it. My two main thought on it are: "This is super horny" and "This is going to be VERY popular with Middle and High schoolers for years to come"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

ungulateman posted:

IMO the weird fandom episode they did for the 100th episode basically burnt out all desire to have the show actually be like that, and after that point the show stopped pressing those buttons and went back to being a good kids show instead, which was a very good decision.

I appreciate your effortpost and I'm grateful for it but as a guy who watched the entirety of FIM fairly recently I don't know if I agree. The later seasons expanded on the worldbuilding in a lot of dumb directions and doubled down on some very stupid "non-pony races are all pretty one note and stereotypical" ideas which really soured me on it.

It wasn't bad but it wasn't as good as the earlier stuff.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm curious why indie online animators seem to want to go for series more often than one-off shorts. I would go insane, from drawing

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fandom marketability

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is Hazbin Hotel any good regardless of the animation?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Apparently someone's trying to get the Jenny Nicholson video taken down and they did it not via copyright but by claiming an intrusion of privacy over the segments where she's showing all the booths showing body pillows and that may actually be harder to fight.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't think so? Then any crowd would be unable to shoot I imagine.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

paradoxGentleman posted:

I appreciate your effortpost and I'm grateful for it but as a guy who watched the entirety of FIM fairly recently I don't know if I agree. The later seasons expanded on the worldbuilding in a lot of dumb directions and doubled down on some very stupid "non-pony races are all pretty one note and stereotypical" ideas which really soured me on it.

The Yaks suck, but I think the other races are generally fine.

I think expanding on the world building is also different from "filling it with brony in jokes"

S4-7 is the peak imo, but I think all the seasons except 3 hover around the same level of quality.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The griffons aren't much better. Nor the kirin.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Griffons I took more as griffons just thinking this is what is expected of them since there's multiple griffon characters that don't fit the stereotype. Gallus seems to have some self loathing about the way he's supposed to act like.

Kirin are only in a one off episode and there's only one of them getting any real characterization.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's easy to forget that the non-pony races were all one note and stereotypical the entire time, most notably The Racism Episode(s) in season 1. Apart from Spike, the most developed non-pony character for the entire first season is a pet bird.

Having non-pony characters with any actual character was a pretty big improvement imo, like the five kids who still slot into character archetypes but are given enough depth that they don't just rehash their 'racial traits'.

That said, I do agree that the show's conclusion on this topic being 'race essentialism is real but that's no excuse to be racist' is weird, but that also goes back to the very earliest seasons, like the christmas episode where racism exists because the military, the nobility and the peasantry aren't friends.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

I don't think so? Then any crowd would be unable to shoot I imagine.

I mean it’s bullshit but it’s bullshit that’s harder to appeal than the copyright stuff

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

I'm curious why indie online animators seem to want to go for series more often than one-off shorts. I would go insane, from drawing

If they get a series then it gets funding so the animation can be subcontracted. Then they get to be more of showrunner types, doing much looser drawings and directing as opposed to all parts of the process.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Apparently someone's trying to get the Jenny Nicholson video taken down and they did it not via copyright but by claiming an intrusion of privacy over the segments where she's showing all the booths showing body pillows and that may actually be harder to fight.

I just went to it and it's still working for me. I guess I should watch the whole thing soon.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Roth posted:

The Yaks suck, but I think the other races are generally fine.

I think expanding on the world building is also different from "filling it with brony in jokes"

S4-7 is the peak imo, but I think all the seasons except 3 hover around the same level of quality.

There’s my little yaks?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

There’s my little yaks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3HupPY8H_c

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mulan's been delayed indefinitely. There was some talk on Twitter about the main actress supporting China but Disney's delaying it because they're not sure when theaters will open back up.

It may pop up on D+ one day though cause they're thinking hard on how to promote that, I guess?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
MLP basically does the Dungeons and Dragons fantasy races thing (probably coincidental they're also owned by Hasbro, but not entirely) with all of its attendant problems, though not as bad as some things. One later arc specifically is about setting up a new school that's fully integrated til a racist administrator comes along, and apparently it's his prejudice that makes him completely miss the actual threat; one of the later villains is a tiny adorable kid pony who happens to be probably the most evil villain on the show

On an unrelated note; about the horny spider music video, it comes to mind that while electroswing is possibly already a bit of a stereotype, you can't deny it's pretty much perfect for animated short music videos, since it's both modern and a throwback to the earliest animated shorts at the same time. Which often were pretty much music videos.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 24, 2020

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mulan's been delayed indefinitely. There was some talk on Twitter about the main actress supporting China but Disney's delaying it because they're not sure when theaters will open back up.

It may pop up on D+ one day though cause they're thinking hard on how to promote that, I guess?

Between Disney being capitalist bastards of the highest order, Disney remakes starting okay and deteriorating into abysmalness devoid of artistic merit, and the main actress having bad politics (although one wonders if she was pressured into doing so) this feels like a victory all around.

Maybe enough factors will combine into convincing Disney to either stop the remake treadmill or at least put some drat effort into it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe I'm naive but I thought Mulan would be one of the good remakes. If nothing else it was a movie with Donnie Yen, Jet Li, and at least one dragon and that is enough to get me to buy a ticket to just about anything.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder if they wish they hadn’t changed up the VIP structure, seeing as it’s become an absolute mess to everyone involved (including Lego themselves).

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Are the other two Spongebob movies funny or worth watching?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
yes

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Are the other two Spongebob movies funny or worth watching?

yes, both worth it, although I think the first is better than the second there is good stuff in both

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Between Disney being capitalist bastards of the highest order, Disney remakes starting okay and deteriorating into abysmalness devoid of artistic merit, and the main actress having bad politics (although one wonders if she was pressured into doing so) this feels like a victory all around.

I wouldn't blame chinese actors for being cautious after what happened with Fan Bingbing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cars 3 reveals that pitt crew cars are the ladies of the car world. Nothing else in this film matters after this revelation.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barudak posted:

Cars 3 reveals that pitt crew cars are the ladies of the car world. Nothing else in this film matters after this revelation.

I just realized I never saw Cars 3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just realized I never saw Cars 3.

Its a surprisingly good movie even if narratively its slightly muddled because they clearly wanted to bring back Paul Newman's character but could not. Its extra weird since Cars 2 is loving horrible and has basically nothing to do with Cars 1 and 2 which are basically about the start and end of an athletes playing career.

It also has issues where its story butts against the cars as people/cars as cars issue.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Alhazred posted:

I wouldn't blame chinese actors for being cautious after what happened with Fan Bingbing.

Didn't she reappear? Not that disappearing somone and then bringing them back is good, mind you.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

She was disappeared and apparently in house arrest for several months, being investigated for tax evasion.

During the same time Zhang Yimou had to go in hiding for what the Chinese government claimed was a breach of the one child policy, but likely for some kind of tax or patriotism issue. When he was allowed to be in public again he did the horrific Great Wall movie starting Matt Damon, presumably to appease the Chinese government.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Didn't she reappear? Not that disappearing somone and then bringing them back is good, mind you.

She made public apologies, paid a pile of back taxes, and had to show the CCP contrition via public shaming and whatnot while chinese gossip media circulated it was a targeted hit by some previous guy she worked with selling her out as other people doing her scheme are rampant and none of them had to face the music

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Jeez Louise. This is... pretty bad. The more I read about this the more hosed up Chinese society looks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A shitload of rules and laws that are only ever applied when someone steps out of line, like being the wrong ethnicity, you say

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A shitload of rules and laws that are only ever applied when someone steps out of line, like being the wrong ethnicity, you say

I feel like me saying that this society is hosed up does not implicitly say that I think Western society is all roses and violets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just saying none of this is unique to China, a famous figure got singled out for something everyone does because she stepped out of line and didn't have the right friends