Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Ghost of Tsushima I like how you’ll get a different audio cue for the arrows whether they’ll hit or miss before they even reach the target so that you can plan ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

In Ghost of Tsushima I like how you’ll get a different audio cue for the arrows whether they’ll hit or miss before they even reach the target so that you can plan ahead.

Like a different pitch to the sound of it coming through the air (toniiight, hold on)?

I've paid a lot less attention to arrows since beelining to and acquiring the arrow block skill.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Another thing I like about Ghost of Tsushima arrows is that if you block an arrow, obviously you can’t Star Wars it and intentionally deflect it towards an enemy, but if it happens to hit an enemy while spinning through the air after you block it then it will still do a little damage and throw them off-balance

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Enemy arrows also generally don't cause friendly fire because the archer shouts for his comrades to get down before he fires (which they do), but if they don't duck and get between you and the archer it will hit them and do damage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Collectathon platformers have been criticised in that there's NPCs who give you quests with a reward being the macguffin that you need to save the world, when they could just give you said macguffin rather than do their pointless chores. Super Mario Sunshine is pretty bad about it apparently.

However, the Spyro games come to mind in that they actually justify almost every case of this; usually, the NPC found the macguffin while you were doing the mission, or they don't know exactly what it is and they're just giving you what they think is a shiny bauble/an egg of some kind. (Which raises its own questions, but hey, dragons like shinies and food, right?) Even oft-complained about Hunter is pretty consistent with this, when he's not actively helping Spyro in some very 90s daredevil fashion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lobok posted:

Like a different pitch to the sound of it coming through the air (toniiight, hold on)?

I've paid a lot less attention to arrows since beelining to and acquiring the arrow block skill.

I mean when you shoot an arrow, you can hear it hit before it even connects visually, giving you some extra reflex time to decide what you’re going to do next. Horizon Zero Dawn and I’m sure other games did the same thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

I mean when you shoot an arrow, you can hear it hit before it even connects visually, giving you some extra reflex time to decide what you’re going to do next. Horizon Zero Dawn and I’m sure other games did the same thing.

Oh, you meant Jin's arrows. Huh, I will have to listen for that. Thanks!

Speaking of, do enemy helmets matter for headshots? I haven't been 100% sure if it was my aim or their armour so now I try to put the arrow right between their eyes just in case.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Arrows from the shortbow will bounce off helmets and do no damage, but arrows from the longbow will still throw enemies backward at least. The solution of course is to shoot fire arrows at anyone and everyone just in case.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Much like in real life

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Collectathon platformers have been criticised in that there's NPCs who give you quests with a reward being the macguffin that you need to save the world, when they could just give you said macguffin rather than do their pointless chores. Super Mario Sunshine is pretty bad about it apparently.

However, the Spyro games come to mind in that they actually justify almost every case of this; usually, the NPC found the macguffin while you were doing the mission, or they don't know exactly what it is and they're just giving you what they think is a shiny bauble/an egg of some kind. (Which raises its own questions, but hey, dragons like shinies and food, right?) Even oft-complained about Hunter is pretty consistent with this, when he's not actively helping Spyro in some very 90s daredevil fashion.

Honestly, off the top of my head the only collectathon game with that problem is Mario Sunshine, where it's national news that the Shine Sprites fled the Gate but everyone's still giving them out for winning races or doing menial chores. As for the others I can think of...

-Mario 64: Power stars are mostly either owned by Bowser's minions, or kinda stupid animals. Only the denizens of the castle actually know that Mario needs them; and sure enough Toads give him them for free.
-Mario Galaxy: Most of the games' world doesn't know what you need power stars for or why, so they're just doing their own thing with it. Luigi and Captain Toad know the deal, though, and they're giving them to you.
Mario Odyssey: Power moons are known power sources in this universe, and you're a random tourist who apparently isn't really known to most of the world. Again, though, Captain Toad knows your deal. So does the rest of the Mushroom Kingdom, but you don't go there until after the princess rescue, so they don't have obligation to help.
-Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie (including Nuts & Bolts): No real indication that most of the game world sees jiggies as any more than just pretty trinkets. In fact it's kinda nebulous what power, if any, they actually have.
-Rocket: Robot On Wheels (a game only I remember): The entire thing is set in a closed theme park, managed by robots, and you're collecting tickets; they probably don't even know something's wrong.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cleretic posted:

-Rocket: Robot On Wheels (a game only I remember): The entire thing is set in a closed theme park, managed by robots, and you're collecting tickets; they probably don't even know something's wrong.

Ooh, now do Space Station: Silicon Valley!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I think I may be the only person in existance that loved Nuts and Bolts.

Maybe because I never played the originals? I never beat them in any case. But I honestly couldn't get enough of the vehicle building- just wish the game was harder

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Just Offscreen posted:

Maybe because I never played the originals? I never beat them in any case. But I honestly couldn't get enough of the vehicle building- just wish the game was harder

Part of people hating it at the time was it put the writing on the wall for a proper Banjo & Kazooie 3; Either Nuts and Bolts sold well and you get more Nuts and Bolts because that's what the market research says people want, or it tanked and Banjo and Kazooie just get stuffed back in a box because market research shows that clearly nobody wants a new game based around them. And we got the latter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

John Lee posted:

Ooh, now do Space Station: Silicon Valley!

Never played it. But it's a space station full of robot animals, right? Can't imagine they're terribly understanding hosts.

Just Offscreen posted:

I think the problem with N&B (which I also liked) is that there was a really big gap in the market, and especially on the Xbox, for a new Banjo-Kazooie in the same mold as the first two, and instead they went and made Nuts & Bolts. I do think it was a little too niche to have made it by itself despite being good at what it set out to do, so I understand putting B-K in it, but it just made people want a thing they weren't being given.

I wish it was at least popular enough to get other games like it. Basically the only games like it that I can think of are Cargo: The Search for Gravity (which I can best describe as 'Eurojank Nuts & Bolts'), and debatably Robocraft which took the basic ideas in a 'Robot Wars MOBA' direction. But I feel like the Nuts & Bolts angle of 'do a bunch of weird challenges with your custom vehicle' worked so much better.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I loved N&B, not really because I'm a B-K fan (though I am) but because I absolutely love that kinda game. Vehicle building sandbox with a rather janky physics engine is a perfect match. There was a really good Lets Play of it a while back, which included showing off a particular 'vehicle' based around completely breaking the physics engine in the most hilarious possible way.

There's also Trailmakers to a lesser extent, which focuses more on open-ended challenges.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of people hating it at the time was it put the writing on the wall for a proper Banjo & Kazooie 3; Either Nuts and Bolts sold well and you get more Nuts and Bolts because that's what the market research says people want, or it tanked and Banjo and Kazooie just get stuffed back in a box because market research shows that clearly nobody wants a new game based around them. And we got the latter.

Yeah, that was the time people got correctly cynical as gently caress about sequels like that since so many franchises got started on gimmicks and either died with them or discarded everything people liked about the franchise in favour of them. (see also Paper Mario) And everything got turned into a FPS.

Rare was kinda past their prime even before the Microsoft buyout was completed, mind.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Jul 24, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I loved N&B, not really because I'm a B-K fan (though I am) but because I absolutely love that kinda game. Vehicle building sandbox with a rather janky physics engine is a perfect match. There was a really good Lets Play of it a while back, which included showing off a particular 'vehicle' based around completely breaking the physics engine in the most hilarious possible way.

There's also Trailmakers to a lesser extent, which focuses more on open-ended challenges.

Yeah, that was the time people got correctly cynical as gently caress about sequels like that since so many franchises got started on gimmicks and either died with them or discarded everything people liked about the franchise in favour of them. (see also Paper Mario) And everything got turned into a FPS.

Rare was kinda past their prime even before the Microsoft buyout was completed, mind.

Aren't you one of the people who made insane Space Engineers poo poo or am I thinking of someone else

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember that LP, and that vehicle! It was basically an uncontrollable perpetual motion machine, which was hilarious but almost completely useless... except for the fact the Olympics-themed level had a ski jump challenge, where you launched your vehicle and then saw how far it went without controller input. Since that never stopped, it could max out the distance counter.

I vaguely remembered Trailmakers, or at least something like it, but I think I dismissed it as one of those early access games that never went anywhere. Although now that I think about it, Besiege is in the same crowd.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Aren't you one of the people who made insane Space Engineers poo poo or am I thinking of someone else

I wish, I mostly just built iterative designs on stuff I liked with theme names and model numbers. While my brother built a huge flying truck with a detaching escape pod motorcycle and used it for everything.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
You guys are thinking of DarthBlingBlings LP of N&B which was fantastic. Shame it was on his own private hosting due to the fact that YouTube was so limited back in those days. I had some stuff of mine on there too but its long gone I think.

I wonder how he is doing. Hope hes ok.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Lol, loving lol at Miller running a off-book burger joint out of Snake's black ops budget, and consulting with Spiritual Native American Wise Man Mad Scientist on how to create the perfect mass market additive laden frankenburger.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
PJ DiCesare, a fairly prominent speedrunner, has done several casual challenge playthroughs of Nuts & Bolts. His most recent was the Choo Choo Challenge, where every vehicle had to be a train of at least 3 cars, connected by a flexible joint part that the game explicitly called out as being broken as gently caress. He also did a "Highlander Challenge" (each part in a vehicle must be unique, which means it took until near the end of the game before he'd acquired enough distinct wheel parts to make a car) and an "Alphabet Challenge" (where every vehicle had to be shaped like a letter of the alphabet).

I think my personal favorite is probably when he completed a Jiggoseum car race using an airplane that had as its sole means of propulsion a single spring. But there's a lot of good moments...unfortunately scattered through some very long videos, since he doesn't cut any of his failed takes. Fortunately the website I linked has links to each successful run.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I also felt like N&B suffered from being a little too...Rare, I guess is one way I'd put it. They were always snarky assholes, but I felt like that filtered into the tone of the game itself in a way it didn't in previous ones (Conker being the obvious exception I suppose). So it wasn't just that you were emphatically not getting Banjo 3, but the game was calling you a dumb idiot baby for even wanting that.

In general LOG was also just kind of a crappy character.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's also the matter where a franchise is dormant for years, and when an installment does arrive it's a spinoff in a completely different genre, see Metroid Federation Force.

Imagine if Skate 4 came out and it had nothing to do with skateboarding, but is actually the spiritual sequel to Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. No wait, that sounds cool.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

I'm fine with series getting wierd after a long absence as long as it's good.

By all accounts I heard Federation Force was not.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Even lamer is when a publisher releases a lazy port to check if there's any interest in a franchise.

Capcom infamously ported the good but ancient Darkstalkers games to PS3/360, and then when that port wasn't the next Street Fighter 4 they decided that the franchise was done for.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Just Offscreen posted:

You guys are thinking of DarthBlingBlings LP of N&B which was fantastic. Shame it was on his own private hosting due to the fact that YouTube was so limited back in those days. I had some stuff of mine on there too but its long gone I think.

I wonder how he is doing. Hope hes ok.

Wasn't me that made that LP, I just hosted it. I made the Braid LP, then... that was it, my LP superstar career was over. The server is long dead unfortunately.

Looking at my emails it's a chap called Rooreelooo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

I also felt like N&B suffered from being a little too...Rare, I guess is one way I'd put it. They were always snarky assholes, but I felt like that filtered into the tone of the game itself in a way it didn't in previous ones (Conker being the obvious exception I suppose). So it wasn't just that you were emphatically not getting Banjo 3, but the game was calling you a dumb idiot baby for even wanting that.

In general LOG was also just kind of a crappy character.

Feels like it was almost a theme back then with devs going 'You want more of the thing you like? You dumb idiot babies, you'll like what we tell you to like!' and it usually takes a few high profile flops and running all of their cash cows into the ground to come crawling back with 'We have the thing you like again! It's just how you remember it! Please buy it!'

Remember XCOM?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like it was almost a theme back then with devs going 'You want more of the thing you like? You dumb idiot babies, you'll like what we tell you to like!' and it usually takes a few high profile flops and running all of their cash cows into the ground to come crawling back with 'We have the thing you like again! It's just how you remember it! Please buy it!'

Remember XCOM?

Eh, it's a mixed bag.

Sometimes going weird or experimental does work. Without it we wouldn't have Metroid as a FPS, Resident Evil without zombies, Metroidvania as a thing, Dynasty Warriors the entire franchise, etc, etc. You can point to just as many examples of successful reboots or changes as failed ones. It just is that the failed ones tend to be remembered for being failed while the successful ones have people memory hole that they were ever controversial in the first place.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, it's a mixed bag.

Sometimes going weird or experimental does work. Without it we wouldn't have Metroid as a FPS, Resident Evil without zombies, Metroidvania as a thing, Dynasty Warriors the entire franchise, etc, etc. You can point to just as many examples of successful reboots or changes as failed ones. It just is that the failed ones tend to be remembered for being failed while the successful ones have people memory hole that they were ever controversial in the first place.

Right, like SotN is just normal and fine, and not a complete insane reworking of the Castlevania format.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Right, like SotN is just normal and fine, and not a complete insane reworking of the Castlevania format.

Kinda surprising in retrospect given it basically sidelines the usual Belmont in favour of an anime pretty boy, albeit one who was already established in canon.

Though it was from a while ago and not like they completely abandoned the Belmonts entirely. I think people forget that Nintendo let entire genres that had gone extinct on consoles flourish on their handhelds.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
After a fox leads you to a shrine in Ghost of Tsushima, you can give it a head scritch and it bounces off happily. :3

Also the wind blowing towards an objective thing is awesome. And has the side effect of, if you're riding through grasslands towards an objective, all the grasses are blowing with you so it looks extra fantastic.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda surprising in retrospect given it basically sidelines the usual Belmont in favour of an anime pretty boy, albeit one who was already established in canon.
My roommate made me play SotN in college and I was pissed for half the game that you used swords instead of whips. "IT'S NOT A CASTLEVANIA UNLES-- oh this game rules, nvm."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hey they broke whips and belmonts only rule in 3.

SotN is a very good example of genre evolution.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I wasn't planning on grabbing Ghost of Tsushima so soon but my will gave out after folks have been praising it so much. Something cool I hadn't seen mentioned, they have a "Kurosawa mode" available right from the opening setup screen that puts the game in black-and-white, balanced to look like old films, even overlaying film grain and scratches. Just straight-up awesome looking.

e: something else I've never seen before, photo mode still leaves sound and physics running by default, so I paused that scene but there's still fires raging, trees and scarves blowing in the wind, etc, while I pan around the battlefield :aaaaa:
It looks incredible, and it's even toggleable in the photo menu so you can still set up the exact photo you want.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Jul 25, 2020

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wasn't planning on grabbing Ghost of Tsushima so soon but my will gave out after folks have been praising it so much. Something cool I hadn't seen mentioned, they have a "Kurosawa mode" available right from the opening setup screen that puts the game in black-and-white, balanced to look like old films, even overlaying film grain and scratches. Just straight-up awesome looking.

e: something else I've never seen before, photo mode still leaves sound and physics running by default, so I paused that scene but there's still fires raging, trees and scarves blowing in the wind, etc, while I pan around the battlefield :aaaaa:
It looks incredible, and it's even toggleable in the photo menu so you can still set up the exact photo you want.

It also adjusts the audio to sound more like an old movie too. It doesn’t always work 100% of the time but when it does it’s fantastic, I switch between it normal mode a lot but make sure to always have it on during climactic duels and things of that nature

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I am also playing Ghost of Tsushima and I must say it’s an extremely attractive game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I am also playing Ghost of Tsushima and I must say it’s an extremely attractive game

And it looks even better when your TV's turned on

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Oh the TVs turned on and so am I

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
More like oldbonerless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'm currently playing AC4:BF at the moment, and it really makes me realize just how much better the series became thanks to them not grinding out a title every year. (And being willing to rework the formula, come AC:O & O)
I'm reminded that AC:Odyssey has like, dozens of unique armors in separate pieces to mix and match, each fitted to 2 different characters.
It's just such a huge step up from how it was just a few titles before, where you'd generally see the same amount of total outfits, but with most of them just being slight texture reskins.

And as a side note, a pre-emptive 'good little thing' about Valhalla when that drops, it'll be possible to play as bi/homo protagonists again, like in Odyssey.
If you'd told me a decade ago that Ubisoft would be one of the only studios rolling out AAA games with non-straight representation/options I'd be very surprised, honestly.
Here's to hoping they learned from that whole 'Growing up' fiasco. (Or whatever that Odyssey DLC achievement was called.)

(Still wish that someday, sometime we'll get an actual gay/bi dude protagonist, and not just in the 'you can smash dudes -and- ladies!' way. Where it's not just an optional extra thing for those interested, but part of the actual plot.
I'm cynical enough that it feels like TLOU2's Ellie really only was allowed due to how media has for ages done performative lesbianism for the male gaze, as opposed to for the sake of actual representation.)