Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Albino Squirrel posted:

Israel would be cool as a civ that's IRL both ancient and modern, but I think it falls under the 'controversial' heading for several reasons.

:can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, is Teddy Roosevelt culture/science guy the most overpowered civ now? Man this season pass kinda seems pay-to-win, Gran Colombia with 1 extra move and those special generals that stack with normal generals is pretty much easy mode for domination victories, and now this. I don't mind, actually I love it because I play on normal difficulty for making pretty empires and having OP civs is my jam.

I kind of want to start a game as Maya because I like playing relatively "tall" and on small maps, but with my luck I will, as usual, have HORRIBLE terrain within 6 tiles of my capital :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I forgot just how drat good Scythia is. That healing after a kill and extra damage to wounded enemies just helps you pile on the hurt and keep going. I love this.

Also, in the Atomic Era, vampire castles act as airports! Nice feature. And I discovered that if a vamp castle is destroyed, you get the build charges back. Useful.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What are the rules for building vampire castles, once I got the upgrade I tried building it but moving my vampire around there was only one tile where they could do it?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are the rules for building vampire castles, once I got the upgrade I tried building it but moving my vampire around there was only one tile where they could do it?

There needs to not be a resource tile underneath it, possibly bring a builder along to cut any bonus resources out. I think if there's a hidden strategic resource there they also don't let you build it, need to be certain.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I see alot of references to games having "passes" and "season passes" and I don't understand what they are. Are they just DLC with a different name, or are they something that expires?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I don't think even 2K knows.

My switch problems are currently languishing in the second-level support queue. The Catherine pack just doesn't even give me the option to install it despite being purchased, and I just did a full reinstall of the software and the DLC to try to get my notification log back, with no effect.
I'm about to lose my cherublike demeanor with them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
All of the above. It's a way of bundling a set of unreleased (and often, totally unknown) future DLC by selling them all at once preemtively for a discount. Theoretically you could save a tiny bit of money if you love the game and slam-buy everything as it comes out, but usually it's a sucker's bet. Video game sale tactics are often nowadays tapping into the scummy human pysch stuff that gambling's been doing for decades.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Be nice if they could figure out how to not completely break the game with every update. Haven't really been able to play since this frontier pass poo poo started.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

ccubed posted:

Someone at Civfanatics looked at the code.

Got an instant request from a goody hut, but nothing from a natural wonder.

I’m probably doing something wrong.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Got this game in Steam summer sale and it's decent but where are all the wars? Beyond fending off barbarians it's basically Sim Civ. I just don't even see the point in the combat oriented civs.

What am I missing?

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Start some poo poo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JGdmn posted:

Start some poo poo.
Yes, I find if I build a competitive military and do nothing with it, I’m rarely attacked, so that could be what’s going on. Either build a smaller military so the AI sees you as easy pickings, or start some poo poo.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Huskalator posted:

Got this game in Steam summer sale and it's decent but where are all the wars? Beyond fending off barbarians it's basically Sim Civ. I just don't even see the point in the combat oriented civs.

What am I missing?

what difficulty are you playing

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

double negative posted:

what difficulty are you playing

Prince, maybe I should go higher? I find that most AI opponents are quite far away from me and each other. Maybe customize for more opponents and smaller map? I usually do standard size continents with the preset # of AI (8?).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Organic Lube User posted:

Be nice if they could figure out how to not completely break the game with every update. Haven't really been able to play since this frontier pass poo poo started.

Feature not bug. Release OP stuff early then nerf it later. The OPness encourages people to buy it, and when you need to get some DLC out, you are better off overtuning something rather then trying to balance it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Canada: I'm gonna start moving my army toward your city.
Me: Soothsayer make volcano go boom.

That volcano was completely ringed with Canadian units last turn

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Huskalator posted:

Prince, maybe I should go higher? I find that most AI opponents are quite far away from me and each other. Maybe customize for more opponents and smaller map? I usually do standard size continents with the preset # of AI (8?).

Starting at emperor (I think) the AI gets 2 settlers, so you'll find them knocking at your door quicker
They get 3 on diety

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Threw a bunch of Voidspeaker cultists at my neighbor and got his capital to flip over to me

Burned out so many cultists that I got twenty new relics, all of which went into the Old God Monuments. The sound effect is neat - it’s the standard religious trill but it goes off-key and minor at the end

The relics all have new names, like “Horn of Dagon”, “The Left Hans Sutra”, and “Civilization II Hint Manual”

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haha, that's great. I love it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Dick Trauma posted:

I see alot of references to games having "passes" and "season passes" and I don't understand what they are. Are they just DLC with a different name, or are they something that expires?
It's a gimmick to fund additional development, post-launch.

Sometimes it's a good treat, realistically it can often be a trick unless you get some explanation ahead of time of what will be included. Think of it kind of like a Kickstarter without visible stretch goals or tracking.

Fallout 4 had a good one, actually. Battlefield Hardline had such a terrible one that core features didn't come out until basically nobody played.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Man Menelik is good. Cultural victory was easy, spammed so many Rock bands no one could stop me. Your faith production is ridiculous, I was using if for rock bands, 2 National parks and keeping my army up to date.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 25, 2020

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I've never had a bad season pass, but I only buy them for games I'll play a ton of, based on past experience.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Feature not bug. Release OP stuff early then nerf it later. The OPness encourages people to buy it, and when you need to get some DLC out, you are better off overtuning something rather then trying to balance it.

No I mean I literally can't play the game. It's broken.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Huskalator posted:

On Prince, the AI will only invade you if you piss them off, by converting their cities or making an alliance with their enemy or whatever. And I find that the default settings give every empire way too much space to spread out, I like to play games with 30 players and I love how it runs much better than crowded games of Civ V do.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Huskalator posted:

the ai doesn’t like to declare on you unless you’ve really made them mad or they have a significant military advantage over you, and at the higher difficulties, as others have said, the ai gets immediate bonuses that usually mean they are more than willing to start some poo poo with you from the start.

on diety, unless i actively take measures to prevent it or have an incredibly lucky spawn, i am 100% getting declared on in the first 30-50 terms

maybe try pangaea as well over continents for maximum claustrophobia

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ccubed posted:

Someone at Civfanatics looked at the code.

Wait, what? I keep finding natural wonders without unlocking the order. Maybe there's a bug.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I noticed another bug, where I can't buy units with faith, despite having the grand master chapel. Now that one I thought could have definitely been due to the CCUI mod since it changes the faith buying interface, so I turned it off, and nope, it's still broken

This patch seems pretty hosed, I guess I'll just have to give it a week or two for them to sort it out. I guess it could also be the result of me playing a pre-patch save file, but that's pretty lame if they can't keep save compatibility

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Yeah I'm about to just pull the latest DLC and see if it restores any playability. Still waiting on their dev team to fix it, I guess.
I'm about a week or two from bitching at them til I get a refund.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

Wait, what? I keep finding natural wonders without unlocking the order. Maybe there's a bug.

It's 100% base chance but when other players discover them it gets reduced

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sucks.

What's the best civ for diplo victories? I figure I should try it at least once, and I want to see what I can do with Owls of Minerva.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

super fart shooter posted:

I noticed another bug, where I can't buy units with faith, despite having the grand master chapel. Now that one I thought could have definitely been due to the CCUI mod since it changes the faith buying interface, so I turned it off, and nope, it's still broken

This patch seems pretty hosed, I guess I'll just have to give it a week or two for them to sort it out. I guess it could also be the result of me playing a pre-patch save file, but that's pretty lame if they can't keep save compatibility

Yes there is a bug on continuing save files from the old version where fait/ buying is borked. New games are apparently fine. There is a fix in steam where you can load a legacy build of the game to play out old games.

^ Sweden best for diplo.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I haven't bought the new pack, does the update break it even for people who don't have the new content?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Probably a safe assumption I'd say.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Organic Lube User posted:

Probably a safe assumption I'd say.

your username reminded me of this from alpha centauri

Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff. You really have to keep an eye on it, though - it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets.

-- T. M. Morgan-Reilly ,"Morgan Metagenics"

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff. You really have to keep an eye on it, though - it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets.

gently caress, I think my nerve staple came loose.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

The substructure of the forums regresses infinitely towards weirder and weirder usernames. Behind real names we find references, and behind references, memes. Each layer unraveled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

RESOURCES EXIST TO BE CONSUMED

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So apparently you can win with a no city challenge. As in you never own a single city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I bet I could win Domination with Eleanor without ever going to war.