Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I drunkenly bought parts of the Sisters of Battle army set because I was envious that I missed the opportunity for limited model sculpts for my army's eventual transition from metal to plastic, but I really hate the flying bases the Seraphim come on.

The poses would suit themselves to the usual GW style of leaping off something, anyone got any understated products or ideas?

I bought these sheets of textured plasticard to paint in a beige stone with some colourful scatter for the flat bases, but I'm not sure what to elevate the Seraphim with

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Miles O'Brian posted:

I'm not sure what to elevate the Seraphim with

Faith in the Immortal God-Emperor of Mankind is usually enough, though?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Miles O'Brian posted:

The poses would suit themselves to the usual GW style of leaping off something, anyone got any understated products or ideas?

If you're not wanting to sculpt, I know Bad Squiddo's got some interesting basing scenics in their store. The giant crystals, bone and skull piles, or spider eggs might suit your needs. I've been really tempted to try some of their scenics out, I'm just a little worried about shipping times to the US.

Otherwise, you could try some green stuff mounds with some citadel skulls in them, or even use this as an excuse to try making bases out of big rocks or tree bark. Assuming you can find suitable bark without killing a tree.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Malifaux
Looking good! I love Mancha Roja, he's one of my favorite sculpts, only surpassed by the Wrastler that's about to spike a pig into the ground.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SiKboy posted:

Anyway, this week I've been finishing my Captain Zipp crew for Malifaux.
[...]

How are these sized and (more to the point) proportioned versus 40k?

I really really like the "Whitechapel by way of New Orleans" aesthetic Malifaux has but I don't know if I can hope for any compatibility between the lines?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
These Kharadrons are a lot of fun, but made even more fun by giving them hats!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

These Kharadrons are a lot of fun, but made even more fun by giving them hats!

Oh poo poo, whats-they-name in 40k (Commissar Daemonette) is looking for boonie hats (currently thinking of modeling them) but the Empire might be a resource as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Oh poo poo, whats-they-name in 40k (Commissar Daemonette) is looking for boonie hats (currently thinking of modeling them) but the Empire might be a resource as well.

Sup. :v: I do keep track of this thread as well.
I mostly needed a boonie/slouch hat because I have the opportunity to make a Space Aussie with some parts from the Catachan Command Squad box. Empire hats are nice but not exactly what I'm looking for in this case.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

I mostly needed a boonie/slouch hat because I have the opportunity to make a Space Aussie with some parts from the Catachan Command Squad box. Empire hats are nice but not exactly what I'm looking for in this case.

Yeah, after I posed that I went and looked at a couple of bitz sites (they do much better closeups than GW) and I was less optimistic about it.

I'm been wanting to make a Catachan Bodyguard like from the DoW II game. Although why a proper officer would trust a "Frag The Loot"-type like a Catachan isn't addressed in-game?

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
A boonie hat / Aussie hat on a catachan is Jessie Ventura from Predator :)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cooked Auto posted:

I assume you know about these

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:munch:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What's a good way to make a pure gold paint (Vallejo's from the Metallic line) darker? I want the gold to be darker to spray my SCE from below. I'm not sure if I should use a brown or a bronze paint. And how do I make it lighter, to spray from above? I'm guessing white but I'd like to be sure.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Looking good! I love Mancha Roja, he's one of my favorite sculpts, only surpassed by the Wrastler that's about to spike a pig into the ground.

Thank you! I dont have the wrastlers (yet...) I actually only have Mancha Rojo because I'd picked up a 2E Wong starter on ebay and 3E shifted his faction to another box I happened to have! Hes a good model, I unironically like that hes got a poo poo eating grin on his face as he yeets a fellow gremlin across the battlefield. He might not win but hes going to have fun.

Schadenboner posted:

How are these sized and (more to the point) proportioned versus 40k?

I really really like the "Whitechapel by way of New Orleans" aesthetic Malifaux has but I don't know if I can hope for any compatibility between the lines?

I'd say they are roughly sized with 40K, but not proportioned like 40K. They are roughly 32 mm figures, but they dont do the "heroic scale" disproportionately large hands and heads that GW usually does. So it depends what you mean by compatibility tbh. If you mean for conversions and the like I think most 40K weapons would look too big in the hands, but maybe some of the more slender eldar type stuff would look fine? Any terrain which is roughly in scale for one should be fine for the other I think, along with any basing stuff you have.

They are fun models to paint and I like the general aesthetic (the game looks fun too tbh but I've never played it) I will warn you however that some of the models (those loving iron skeeters) are a little fussy to put together.

Heres a quick photo of Seamus (leader of the Redchapel faction, as you mentioned whitechapel) who is a tall skinny human alongside one of the human figures I put up today, and a 1st edition gremlin on the end. The 1st edition gremlins are probably some of the smallest models in the line (not including rats and the like, the 2E plastic gremlins are generally a little taller and more slender) just to give you an idea of scale next to a pushfit marine (one of the only modernish GW models I happen to own, which perpertually sits on my painting table as I cant decide what chapter to make him).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SiKboy posted:

Thank you! I dont have the wrastlers (yet...) I actually only have Mancha Rojo because I'd picked up a 2E Wong starter on ebay and 3E shifted his faction to another box I happened to have! Hes a good model, I unironically like that hes got a poo poo eating grin on his face as he yeets a fellow gremlin across the battlefield. He might not win but hes going to have fun.

I'd say they are roughly sized with 40K, but not proportioned like 40K. They are roughly 32 mm figures, but they dont do the "heroic scale" disproportionately large hands and heads that GW usually does. So it depends what you mean by compatibility tbh. If you mean for conversions and the like I think most 40K weapons would look too big in the hands, but maybe some of the more slender eldar type stuff would look fine? Any terrain which is roughly in scale for one should be fine for the other I think, along with any basing stuff you have.

They are fun models to paint and I like the general aesthetic (the game looks fun too tbh but I've never played it) I will warn you however that some of the models (those loving iron skeeters) are a little fussy to put together.

Heres a quick photo of Seamus (leader of the Redchapel faction, as you mentioned whitechapel) who is a tall skinny human alongside one of the human figures I put up today, and a 1st edition gremlin on the end. The 1st edition gremlins are probably some of the smallest models in the line (not including rats and the like, the 2E plastic gremlins are generally a little taller and more slender) just to give you an idea of scale next to a pushfit marine (one of the only modernish GW models I happen to own, which perpertually sits on my painting table as I cant decide what chapter to make him).

Make him a Buzz Lightyear Marine.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I do (and the Mad Robot ones). I've been wanting to buy a whole bunch of their female regiment stuff for ages now, and their jet packs for another conversion project.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Contrast is a fantastic product line. There are definitely some bad ones, but once you find ones that you like, and get used to using them, you can paint some gorgeous minis incredibly quickly.

These models are almost 100% Contrast, with the only traditional paints being their eyes and a drybrush of Leadbelcher over the metals. Most of these took no more than 30 minutes to paint, start-to-finish. The larger guys maybe took two hours each.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Duct Tape posted:

Contrast is a fantastic product line. There are definitely some bad ones, but once you find ones that you like, and get used to using them, you can paint some gorgeous minis incredibly quickly.

These models are almost 100% Contrast, with the only traditional paints being their eyes and a drybrush of Leadbelcher over the metals. Most of these took no more than 30 minutes to paint, start-to-finish. The larger guys maybe took two hours each.

Those look great! Your choice of color palette is especially nice. What color undercoat did you go with?

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Booyah- posted:

Those look great! Your choice of color palette is especially nice. What color undercoat did you go with?

Thanks! I went with Wraithbone, as it's a bit warmer than Gray Seer, and I want my Skaven and Gellerpox to be ironically bright, fun, and colorful.

I really want to get back into painting Skaven, but with 40k 9th edition knocking at the door, that has all my attention.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

When this guy tries to eat things, do you suppose the food just falls out of one of his stomach-mouths?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The Mark III Sons of Horus are done! :toot:

I think they look pretty good good okay slightly above-average. Yes, I know I didn't drill the gun barrels out. I thought to, but I need to try seeking out a different pin vise, since the one I bought off Amazon wasn't that good.

If you're wondering why the sergeant has a tuft sitting on the edge of the base, it's because I had to super glue it back on, and when it dried, there was a residue of dried glue stuck on the heel, so I got some grass tufts to cover it up.

If you're wondering why the standard bearer has black trim instead of gold, it's because I couldn't decide which colors to do for the trim, and I had lapsed into 'I don't give a s**t, I just want to get these done' mode that day. I also wanted to see what it results I would get with a black/dark shade over Eshin Grey, versus painting them black, and then trying to highlight them.

Please tell me about how bad these look, or ask about anything painting choices I made.

Duct Tape posted:

These look really good, but they also make me want to buy more Contrast paints. :shepspends:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
My matte varnish didn't arrive in time for these to make it into Hams 4 Hunger, but I'm still really pleased with how these came out.

A five man adventuring party...

I finished my last three Dragon cultists, giving me one for every D&D dragon color (white, black, green, blue, and red).

I really dig the glow effect on the lady necromancer's eyes (and the winged Tiefling came out well, too!)

But mostly I'm really happy with my new giant Paul and Babe his smiley blue ox landshark buddy.

The Landshark was a pretty simple red to purple to blue transition (with teal highlights on the raised edges), but I'm extremely happy with Paul. His base skintone is actually skull white because I was experimenting. I wound up giving him two reikland fleshshade washes because the first didn't quite work and when the second didn't do what I wanted either I said "gently caress it, worst that can happen is I'll need to strip the paint and start over" so I went over everything with Skeleton Horde contrast paint.

The result came out looking craggy and dirty in a way that makes him look pallid while simultaneously looking like he hasn't uttered the word 'bath' any time in the last decade (much less actually taken one). He kinda reminds me of a 20 foot tall Warhammer 40,000 Ratling and I kinda really dig it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 24, 2020

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Working on some necron test schemes and would love some feedback. Please excuse the crappy 3d printed models and rushed paint jobs.

The first one is based off of the sandstone theme from Midwinter Minis, which involves texture paint on the model. I thought I would like it better than I do, and I also thought it would be faster than it ended up being. Right now the purple scheme is my favorite but curious to hear what others think, especially areas for improvement.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

drat some really good posts to have to follow :eyepop: Not sure why I didn't think of using contrasts on skaven before but it's probably the one time saver I'd really need.

Crosspostin' from the 30K thread.

ijyt posted:

Finally got round to photographing the (still WIP lol) Word Bearer bikes I started in 2018 (LOL), trying to replicate the FW HH scheme from Massacre. A little write up with some thoughts and processes on my blog if it interests ya.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I don't care what people say man, I think you can paint.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Edit: Because I couldn't find a kitbash thread.

So this is my first kitbash ever and I'd like a critical eye to take a look at these and give me some pointers. I'm thinking traditional Iron Warriors colors, using liquitex silver and bronze, and some matte black and grey. Lenses I am unsure of. Thoughts?

I'm building an Iron Warriors force. I'm ignoring current fluff because gently caress Perturabo being a daemon prince. I converted Primaris infiltrators into some Iron lads and am going to explain it away as Perturabo discovering Primaris marines, abducting both the dead and living ones for research purposes, and basically reverse engineering the Mark X armor and adding improvements just to show off.

Just remember that these aren't complete in any way and they're just bluetacked together. Because of this they're missing a lot of detail I'll be adding later such as chains and other bits.

https://imgur.com/a/devVHk5

These were just snapped with my phone real quick so forgive the mess.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 25, 2020

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
*door slams open* Did someone say Contrast?

Contrast paints are the business. They take a bit of getting used to, but can really produce some excellent results - all the sniffing about "babby's first paints" is bullshit.

These are all basically 100% contrast - some acrylic mettalics as bases, and the gold NMM on the Crusader is done with acrylics over a contrast base, but that's it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Tesseract Glow is cool

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ijyt posted:

drat some really good posts to have to follow :eyepop: Not sure why I didn't think of using contrasts on skaven before but it's probably the one time saver I'd really need.

Crosspostin' from the 30K thread.

S'okay I suppose.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Duct Tape posted:

These are nice as hell. Which contrast paint is the skin tone, out of interest? I picked one of the three (didnt want to duplicate at £5 per pot...) and got "Fyreslayer Flesh" because I was painting some slightly darker skin tones at the time, but its kind of an awkward one to highlight, at least for me, I just cant seem to find a natural looking highlight for it. Its one drawback to contrasts in that you cant just add a little ivory to your base colour and highlight with that. I've got some generic-rear end white dudes waiting to be painted and this skin tone looks just the job. The carapaces on the thingies also look great (I'm not up on the current GW model range. Third row from the top, look kind of like mosquitos crossed with genestealers).

Giant Ethicist posted:

*door slams open* Did someone say Contrast?

Contrast paints are the business. They take a bit of getting used to, but can really produce some excellent results - all the sniffing about "babby's first paints" is bullshit.

100% agree. They are a hugely useful tool in your toolbox, and can be a real timesaver, but much like any other tool you have to know how to use them. Brush control for example is arguably more important than with regular paints; If I accidentally get some leadbelcher on the red sleeve of a guy I'm painting with regular paint, I can cover it up easily enough. If it was a contrast red its slightly more annoying to fix well. Anyone who produces a good model with contrasts would produce a good model without them, it would just look a little different and take a little longer.

Mikey Purp posted:

Working on some necron test schemes and would love some feedback. Please excuse the crappy 3d printed models and rushed paint jobs.

The first one is based off of the sandstone theme from Midwinter Minis, which involves texture paint on the model. I thought I would like it better than I do, and I also thought it would be faster than it ended up being. Right now the purple scheme is my favorite but curious to hear what others think, especially areas for improvement.

I kind of dont like #3 at all. Feel like the blue shoulder pads dont work well with the brassy metal or the orange glow. Close up its not too bad, but thumbnailed it sort of sticks out, and as most of the time you'll be seeing a mass of them at a distance I think thats the more important impression.

I dont hate the sandstone one, and I'm curious why it took longer than you thought it would (which sounds like a pointed question but I promise its not; It looks broadly similar to painting skeletons which is usually fairly quick as models go). They do look older and weathered, sort of "Ancient robot army* rises from the desert sands to kick your rear end" feel. I'm not sure how I'd base them though, it feels like they should definately be on pale desert sand, but then there would be a risk of them kind of disappearing into the base.

I like the purple one too. Its cleaner than the sandstone, more of a "These robots just came of the production line specifically to kick your rear end" vibe. Much as I love purple and gold (3rd street saints represent) I wonder if the gold should maybe be toned down to a brass or maybe just a flat yellow instead? Would probably look fine with a wash on the gold, but on the test model it feels a little bright.

*I am very much not up on 40K stuff, back when I was into 40K the closest we came to necrons were the "Chaos Androids" from Space Crusade, and marines had beaks and we liked them that way dammit, so excuse any "technically they arent robots" type mistakes.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Duct Tape posted:

Thanks! I went with Wraithbone, as it's a bit warmer than Gray Seer, and I want my Skaven and Gellerpox to be ironically bright, fun, and colorful.

I really want to get back into painting Skaven, but with 40k 9th edition knocking at the door, that has all my attention.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/604055223/mortian-cyberrats

and a Genestealer Skaven proxy

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thatevilone/cult-of-vile-rattus-a-cheese-stealer-cult

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just downloaded the Brushrage app which seems like it could be a useful tool for tracking paints and what paints I'm using for what models etc. Anyone else use this or have a different app they like for painting adjacent stuff?

fake edit: already have the citadel app

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

Just downloaded the Brushrage app which seems like it could be a useful tool for tracking paints and what paints I'm using for what models etc. Anyone else use this or have a different app they like for painting adjacent stuff?

fake edit: already have the citadel app

I'm a big fan of the impcat app. It lets you try out paint schemes with base/layer/shade/highlight and gives you an overview of different paint ranges. However, you need to download models (if you want GW models and the like) and paint ranges uploaded by other users since the app only has a small handful of independent sculpts. This also means that the range of models are kinda limited. But it's real good for thinking up space marine schemes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The 20/20 I bought in the January sale has been dispatched! Finally! Tbh I thought the usual six month wait would be more like 9-12 because of the plague so this is a nice surprise :)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Winklebottom posted:

I'm a big fan of the impcat app. It lets you try out paint schemes with base/layer/shade/highlight and gives you an overview of different paint ranges. However, you need to download models (if you want GW models and the like) and paint ranges uploaded by other users since the app only has a small handful of independent sculpts. This also means that the range of models are kinda limited. But it's real good for thinking up space marine schemes.

How easy/is it possible for me to download Aeldari models like wraithguard, farseers, wraithlord, dire avengers? Looks like the app is only available for $$ and while I could buy and then refund figured I'd ask first :)

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

How easy/is it possible for me to download Aeldari models like wraithguard, farseers, wraithlord, dire avengers? Looks like the app is only available for $$ and while I could buy and then refund figured I'd ask first :)

The current models available is gathered in this MEGA maintained by the impcat subreddit. I'm afraid I don't see any Aeldari :(

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Winklebottom posted:

The current models available is gathered in this MEGA maintained by the impcat subreddit. I'm afraid I don't see any Aeldari :(

Thanks. I went looking for how one would add a mini to the app and the creators say "even knowing how to do this it takes an entire day" (paraphrasing) - http://impcat.design-bench.com/svg.html

Since I'm not great with PS I'll give it a pass for now I think.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Thanks. I went looking for how one would add a mini to the app and the creators say "even knowing how to do this it takes an entire day" (paraphrasing) - http://impcat.design-bench.com/svg.html

Since I'm not great with PS I'll give it a pass for now I think.

Yeah, it's a shame it's so difficult adding models, it's really the app's major weakness

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Giant Ethicist posted:

*door slams open* Did someone say Contrast

How did you do the white?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I made a fake youtube account to make a stupid joke painting video for the guys at the shop.

It has a long wind up to try and set it up like it's gonna be serious but if you just want to skip to to the punchline then start at like a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLrD_kxkI3c