Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

dwarf74 posted:

Wow, I missed that.

Was there any word about what plans are in place if a teacher or student tests positive?

https://www.wglt.org/post/unit-5-school-board-oks-reopening-plan-room-adjustments#stream/0

The email from Unit 5 that I got had info about exclusion periods for kids if they show symptoms, or test positive, or are in a household with someone who tests positive. Pretty much 14 days across the board. Nothing about what happens if it's a teacher, though, at least from what I saw. I know they said that we'd get a form to fill out about which option we are picking (in-person or virtual) but I haven't seen that come through yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I just don't understand how this 14 day period is supposed to work if a teacher gets sick. If I show symptoms and test positive then everyone who has been in close contact to me is supposed to sit out, right? Well that's literally one third of the entire student population at my school.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Devo posted:

I just don't understand how this 14 day period is supposed to work if a teacher gets sick. If I show symptoms and test positive then everyone who has been in close contact to me is supposed to sit out, right? Well that's literally one third of the entire student population at my school.

nobody has any real plan for how this will work because it *can't* work, at least not safely.

my wife's district is still planning on in-person, which means full student population in every building every day for k-8. for 6-8, they're not even grouping the students, so you'll get cross-contamination across three block periods every day with 30 kids in every class. they shortened the day to eliminate lunch, which is good, but it still leaves parents in a lurch for child care. they picked the dumbest and most dangerous option outside of just regular schedule.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Chicago has basically admitted that they're gonna need a poo poo-ton of subs.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Can't wait to see the exponential spike a couple weeks after schools open.

There's a teacher (and kid probably, too) out there getting ready (or being forced to go back) for the school year that won't make it out alive.

That sucks. :(

Shotgun Willie
Jul 13, 2005
Shotgun Toting Hick
Doomington/Abnormal

Meanwhile I'm glad to live in the region that got singled out by Pritzy doing even shittier then the rest of the state. County Chairman Prenzler says he called every city and mayor urging them to persist in caution lmao. Those county board fuckers voted to lockdown restrictions before the state planned, I hope he loving chokes on his own bullshit in an overwhelmed CoViD ward.

Edit: EASE lockdown restrictions

Shotgun Willie fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 29, 2020

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

Chicago has basically admitted that they're gonna need a poo poo-ton of subs.

Most subs are either retired teachers or people with bachelors degrees who can’t find another job. I’m struggling to think of a member of either who’s not a total chud who would risk their health or lives for the 80 dollars a day they pay subs once teachers start dropping like flies.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Illinois has had chronic sub shortages in normal times. There is no way to fill all the inevitable vacancies from teachers refusing to work unsafe conditions + teachers who have to quarantine for 14 days at a time.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Oracle posted:

Most subs are either retired teachers or people with bachelors degrees who can’t find another job. I’m struggling to think of a member of either who’s not a total chud who would risk their health or lives for the 80 dollars a day they pay subs once teachers start dropping like flies.

Hey now... Some districts have upped sub pay to over $100 a day.

Going to be awesome when a sub visits 3 or 4 schools in a week, then tests positive on Friday!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Oracle posted:

Really? That's all they would pay a sub for a day of teaching?

Jesus loving Christ, gently caress this stupid country and the education system.

I'm a lazy rear end loving messenger who sometimes actively tries to avoid getting work and I consider $80 bucks for the day to be somewhere between 1/2-2/3's of a day of pay for me. All I loving do is drive stupid poo poo from point A to point B, not shape the minds of future.

We really need to pay teachers and subs more in this stupid country.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I think it depends on the district but it's not much more than $100 and it's why I sure as hell don't expect my subs to do anything beyond taking attendance and shuffling some papers around. My district pays $105 IIRC.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well first you're gonna have to cut spending on the military and actually tax corporations and the wealthy, so good loving luck with that.

A quick google says in 2015 700 billion was spent on the public education system, about $13k per student. There's only a few places they could divert enough money from to really make a difference.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I work at Walgreens. Pray for me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
CPS base pay for subs is $120 a day. A bit more if you go to a really poor (read: black) school, around $160 for the day.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

IESA canceled all junior high fall sports. Basketball is still an option but it will probably be canceled by the end of August.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There goes a big motivator for sports obsessed parents to send their kids

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

brugroffil posted:

There goes a big motivator for sports obsessed parents to send their kids

Possibly.

I have already witnessed multiple people from different communities posting and talking about setting up travel leagues not affiliated with schools to replace fall sports. They even talked about doing like summer travel leagues where they go to other states for tournaments.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Possibly.

I have already witnessed multiple people from different communities posting and talking about setting up travel leagues not affiliated with schools to replace fall sports. They even talked about doing like summer travel leagues where they go to other states for tournaments.

They’re already doing it. I’ve seen posts on friends Facebook pages from their friends taking their kids to wrestling meets in Iowa and Indiana.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Travel? Pfft, they'll try to move to Indiana and Wisco to play school sports.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jackson County has been pretty bad lately. We had a big surge last week (mostly young people), and several restaurants in Carbondale have re-closed because their staff tested positive. And then there's...

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

We had a local restaurant close for “precautions” over the weekend to do cleaning. Rumor mill is saying that the owner (who loves to glad hand people who come to his place, including local eastern bloc politicians) tested positive for the virus.

Restaurant has not actually stated what caused the precautions and there have been no other statements.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

Jackson County has been pretty bad lately. We had a big surge last week (mostly young people), and several restaurants in Carbondale have re-closed because their staff tested positive. And then there's...

CLOSE ON WING TUESDAY!?!?!?! I THINK NOT!

Our (west suburban Cook ) district offered online or "blended" which is 2.5 hours a day 8-10:30 or 12-2:30 (10:30-12 is additional special ed stuff) 5x a week with the other 1/2 day online. We opted just to keep out 2nd grader home, not for health reasons, but because 2.5 hours of instruction (less with hand washing and reasonable safety precautions) in only the 3 R's (maybe some state requirement that they have to get that in?) in the same classroom for a gifted student isn't worth the time investment of getting her to school and back with no buses, certifying temperature checks every day, and the possibility of some classroom health event sending her back home anyway. I'm not out here saying there's a good answer to school so I'm not busting down my school admins doors to complain, but I get why many of the parents trying to work feel like class only going to 10:30 every day doesn't help their schedules in the least. I did email admin though because we're supposed to fill out a form saying what you're choosing, and if it's remote, why you chose it. Problem is there are only 3 choices and you have to pick one, student medical condition, someone else at home has a medical condition, or "will cause considerable anxiety for the student or family." Well it's none of those reasons so it can't be helping their data collection that I have to respond incorrectly.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Bobulus posted:

That's some :capitalism: if I ever saw it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Got this in my teacher’s mailbox from Tactical Vest Darren Bailey.

He also included a flag pamphlet:

It included this passage:

And finishes with this warning (this law was declared unconstitutional in 1989)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://www.isba.org/ibj/2016/09/lawpulse/arrestbutnoprosecutioninfourthofjul

gently caress the flag. they're either gonna shoot your for it or arrest you and you'll never be prosecuted because it's blatantly unconstitutional. So you know. Be careful but burn the flag if you're feeling it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

"We have come to expect that from those that have no reverence for democracy or understanding of our country."

You mean like the Republican Party?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Benagain posted:

https://www.isba.org/ibj/2016/09/lawpulse/arrestbutnoprosecutioninfourthofjul

gently caress the flag. they're either gonna shoot your for it or arrest you and you'll never be prosecuted because it's blatantly unconstitutional. So you know. Be careful but burn the flag if you're feeling it.

I love that after it all blew over he went and burned it again. :bisonyes:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

High schools sports are being shifted with only tennis, swim/dive, cross country a d golf being allowed this fall. IESA are reviewing their decision last week to cancel all sports.

I think this is a reasonable set up because 1) it allows the sports to happen that are extremely able to separate athletes. 2) The more risky sports are being shifted to a time where we are more likely to have a vaccine.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

High schools sports are being shifted with only tennis, swim/dive, cross country a d golf being allowed this fall. IESA are reviewing their decision last week to cancel all sports.

I think this is a reasonable set up because 1) it allows the sports to happen that are extremely able to separate athletes. 2) The more risky sports are being shifted to a time where we are more likely to have a vaccine.

Don't cross country runners typically run in packs, or is that only for practice?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

It is based on time so they can stagger runners to spread them out.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Meh, I think they're kicking the can down the road. I'd be stunned if there's any basketball this winter or football in the spring this year. I appreciate JB trying to fall on the sports grenade though and letting everyone just blame him if some sports don't go.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea. I would expect to see a lot of winter sports postponed/cancelled too, but it’s just too early to make that call. Who knows what will he going on in 3 months.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea. I would expect to see a lot of winter sports postponed/cancelled too, but it’s just too early to make that call. Who knows what will he going on in 3 months.

We'll still be having outbreaks among jocks whose parents have never been told no in their lives, because judging from all the comments on FB on local news stories about ISBE meeting, they've all been taking their kids to multistate meets/summer leagues/camps in WI IN IA MO all summer and not taking any precautions whatsoever and 'we're all fine so I don't see what the big deal is.'

loving morons. I thought maybe the myocarditis in Eduardo Rodriguez would at least give them pause, but nope. Sportsball uber alles.
https://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/2020/07/26/red-soxs-rodriguez-awaits-test-on-covid-related-heart-issue.html

They'll be the first to scream about how unfair it is they can't have class in person and all gatherings are banned and bars are closed and we go back down to ten people, too.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/grace_panetta/status/1288673424353775623

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bet his tune changes when he's in the ICU and his body is slowly drowning him to death because little Timmy brought the virus home.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
*mumbles under breath* how much of your son's quality of life are you going to steal via TBI and/or permanent recurring injuries you fuckstick

Sorry, I know it's like A Really Goony Thing but I have a 3 year old and I just can't ever imagine letting him play football with everything we're finding out about what the sport does to people :\

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
it isn't goony at all to prevent your kid from playing a game where they fling themselves headfirst into other childrens' heads

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

xzzy posted:

I bet his tune changes when he's in the ICU and his body is slowly drowning him to death because little Timmy brought the virus home.

in the ICU WITH Covid, not OF COVID

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Poque posted:

it isn't goony at all to prevent your kid from playing a game where they fling themselves headfirst into other childrens' heads

I had a co-worker who grew up with her younger brother in the heart of Texas, and she said that there were some days that he could barely get out of bed due to crippling back pain from old football injuries (he was probably mid-20s at the time?)

I worked in the trades enough to see middle-aged and old men with back pain; that just seems too drat young, y'know?

Sorry for the derail: for content, is there anyplace especially good for Illinois-centric COVID data? I feel like I haven't been paying attention lately, and I'm hearing rumblings that Central IL is starting to pop off again. (Which sucks because it's getting to be about Grocery Week again, bleh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

IDPH's regional map is decent

Divoc-91 is based at uiuc and I think does Illinois county level data