Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
two of my cats have been sneezing and seem a bit lethargic, I think the neighbor's cat we rescued gave them something. One of them has beaten it and is clearly feeling better already, and has stopped sneezing, while the other only just started sneezing last night and confirmed to us that it's clearly a bug of some kind. They're all still eating, drinking, and peeing just fine, so I don't think we need to do anything but keep the one that's sick comfortable, and he's still jumping up to his favorite spots and coming to us for pets and laying near us. But it is concerning. I hope he's better by tomorrow, which he should be if it follows the same timeline as the first one who got sick. Ugh :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Good luck kitties, Harold was sneezing a bit a week ago but he cleared up after a few days as well. We also finally found a toy he'll actually play with instead of staring at with zero interest or being completely terrified of, so victory! Here he is tuckered out from playing. :3:

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Moved in with my partner and it's time to think about using the same catfood for my cat and his two. Mines on solid gold (no grain) and his is on Purina one (3rd ingredient is corn). Last time I looked into it, grains weren't great filler food for cats. Is that still the case, should we switch all three cats to solid gold or should we go with the cheaper option in Purina?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Solid gold is the better food (and coincidentally what we feed all of our cats who aren't on Rx diets).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Grains are totally fine for cats to eat, but if you want to go with grain-free, that's up to you.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

Moved in with my partner and it's time to think about using the same catfood for my cat and his two. Mines on solid gold (no grain) and his is on Purina one (3rd ingredient is corn). Last time I looked into it, grains weren't great filler food for cats. Is that still the case, should we switch all three cats to solid gold or should we go with the cheaper option in Purina?

Nothing wrong with grains for cats. That's just marketing bullshit. Feed your cats whatever you want, it makes no difference unless they have medical needs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My cats are broken, I opened two cans and got zero cats. Is there a fix?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Is there any way to stop a kitty from escaping? He was born outside, so I am thinking he likes the smells. He sees the dog go out, kid go out, or just hears the door and is becoming a master at timing his escape attempts. He freezes for the most part if he succeeds, but I know there will be a time he is brave enough not to stay put.

We got him a harness and he likes it fine, but I am not sure any amount of outside harness time will stop him. I don’t know what to do. Growing up we gave in and had indoor/outdoor cats. I wanted to avoid that but I’m not sure I can.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

HungryMedusa posted:

Is there any way to stop a kitty from escaping? He was born outside, so I am thinking he likes the smells. He sees the dog go out, kid go out, or just hears the door and is becoming a master at timing his escape attempts. He freezes for the most part if he succeeds, but I know there will be a time he is brave enough not to stay put.

We got him a harness and he likes it fine, but I am not sure any amount of outside harness time will stop him. I don’t know what to do. Growing up we gave in and had indoor/outdoor cats. I wanted to avoid that but I’m not sure I can.

Couple things:

- Never let him cross the threshold with the harness on, carry him in and out.
- Pay zero attention to him while leaving the door or entering. Make the door/entryway the most boring thing in the world to him.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Thanks, we will try those. I am hoping as he gets older and lazier he also gets less interested in escape

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Buff Hardback posted:

Couple things:

- Never let him cross the threshold with the harness on, carry him in and out.
- Pay zero attention to him while leaving the door or entering. Make the door/entryway the most boring thing in the world to him.

This is super helpful, thank you! I have a related question:

I also have a very independent cat who was probably born outdoors and loves to explore. I have to take her for her annual checkup next week. She hates being picked up, being put in an enclosed space against her will, and wearing the harness I have. Last year's trip involved chasing her across the parking lot, then prying her out of a tree. (I have a proper carrier now, and I have a canvas 'totebag' carrier on order, but I don't know if it will come in time.) To calm her down and get her under something resembling control, should I get her Feliway, catnip, something else?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Not in the time frame you have, no. Throw a towel on her when she's not looking to immobilize her, bundle her into the carrier, ignore the piteous cries of the damned to and from the vet. It's going to be unpleasant, you'll both hate it, and there's nothing to done about it.

Given more time you can leave the carrier out, make it a good place to be with treats, toys and soft things to lie on when inside, but that's a long term project.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
In addition to those, you can try an ssscat. Normal air duster cans can be used for refills. I have one by my front door and it very quickly trained both cats.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Sarern posted:

In addition to those, you can try an ssscat. Normal air duster cans can be used for refills. I have one by my front door and it very quickly trained both cats.

Hmm, this is an interesting idea. It could be complicated with my dumb dog, but I think it could work if I had it out a few consecutive days when the dog is at daycare or something. Thanks!

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

kw0134 posted:

Not in the time frame you have, no. Throw a towel on her when she's not looking to immobilize her, bundle her into the carrier, ignore the piteous cries of the damned to and from the vet. It's going to be unpleasant, you'll both hate it, and there's nothing to done about it.

Given more time you can leave the carrier out, make it a good place to be with treats, toys and soft things to lie on when inside, but that's a long term project.

OK, got it. Thanks anyway! (I did not know about the towel trick. I will have to try that!)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Just to be clear, we're aiming for a cat burrito, so get a towel ready, sneak up to her and quickly wrap her in the towel. That way there are many fewer pointy bits digging into you and it presents a streamlined package for ready delivery into the cat carrier. Don't take it as tossing a towel on the cat and hoping it works like a net!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Solid gold is the better food (and coincidentally what we feed all of our cats who aren't on Rx diets).

Deteriorata posted:

Nothing wrong with grains for cats. That's just marketing bullshit. Feed your cats whatever you want, it makes no difference unless they have medical needs.

Thanks for the replies, though they contradict a bit. Have there been any studies on cat food done by not pet food companies?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Do any of you have a good way to get a cat to drop a toy? The sole toy my cat seems to like is a mouse on a string but he's getting way too good at catching it. When he does he will do everything to hold on to it. I dont want to pull too hard and hurt his mouth. I can bribe him with treats but I don't want him gaining weight.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Do any of you have a good way to get a cat to drop a toy? The sole toy my cat seems to like is a mouse on a string but he's getting way too good at catching it. When he does he will do everything to hold on to it. I dont want to pull too hard and hurt his mouth. I can bribe him with treats but I don't want him gaining weight.

Nah, if he wants to carry around his toy he's gonna do it. You're right that trying to pull it out would hurt his teeth, so don't do that. Have you tried getting more copies of the same toy?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, why do you need him to drop it? Let him have it for a bit and he will drop it. Or play gentle tug of war with him.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Spikes32 posted:

Thanks for the replies, though they contradict a bit. Have there been any studies on cat food done by not pet food companies?

So there's been a lot of talk in diet and nutrition thread, but basically the tldr is that if it meets or exceeds aafco dietary profile it's more or less okay.

As far grains go, grain versus no grain is less of a concern than in dogs.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm having a major issue with cat litter tracking all over the place. I switched to Tidy Cats Unscented clumping litter. I've basically lined the entire bathroom with litter mats and I'm still having issues. Is this just a quirk with clumping litter? I have to vacuum pretty often because the tiny little beads get all over the place.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm having a major issue with cat litter tracking all over the place. I switched to Tidy Cats Unscented clumping litter. I've basically lined the entire bathroom with litter mats and I'm still having issues. Is this just a quirk with clumping litter? I have to vacuum pretty often because the tiny little beads get all over the place.

Which litter mat are you using?

Those extruded rubber strand ones are pretty garbage. I'd say something closer to this design would work a lot better https://www.amazon.com/Polarduck-Cat-Litter-Trapping-Mat-Honeycomb-Material-Washable/dp/B07TYJC6NV

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Buff Hardback posted:

Those extruded rubber strand ones are pretty garbage. I'd say something closer to this design would work a lot better https://www.amazon.com/Polarduck-Cat-Litter-Trapping-Mat-Honeycomb-Material-Washable/dp/B07TYJC6NV

We use this and it rules. It basically stopped like 99% of the litter tracking Sweetheart was doing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

Or play gentle tug of war with him.

I wouldn't, even gently. Cats' teeth aren't made for that like dogs' are.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah, why do you need him to drop it? Let him have it for a bit and he will drop it. Or play gentle tug of war with him.

My goal is 1. Trying to tire him out with constant mouse chasing, and 2. Making sure he doesn't destroy the toy. He would likely take the mouse somewhere and rip it to shreds.

Edit: I do have another copy of the toy, sort of. I could try doing that and see what happens.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Heh you're fighting a losing battle. The solution when a cat destroys its toys is to find cheaper toys. They play how they wanna play, you can't force it.

If you want him to move around more, try feeding him only through a puzzle feeder.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Buff Hardback posted:

I have 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/Purr-Fect-Paws-Litter-Medium-Gray/dp/B00AQ4D0MA/
and one of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDNDDYS/

3 mats feel like overkill, but I was tired of them tracking litter everywhere. It's not an insane amount, but a little bit tends to spill out into the hallway and it seems to spread from there.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Try a top entry litter box if you don’t already have one. Made a huge difference for me.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
I use a top entry box and clumping litter and get a very small amount of tracking. (As another data point)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Welp I accidentally a shitten

After a bath

My parents live out in the country and heard a cat meowing all day and saw it hiding under the car. It was still the next morning, and looked like a mother was running away from the kitten trying to get it to wean.

My dad finally managed to catch her and asked if we wanted her. We didn't, really, but also she's really cute and sweet and so we foster failed in about five minutes.

She is super tiny, the pictures don't do her justice, and was all bones. She's been pigging out and her energy is way better, we've treated for fleas both with advantage and a soap bath, and gave her panacur for any guy buddies. We're still trying to keep quarantine in case she has FIV, so hopefully we can get her to the vet soon. She chowed down on a full can of wet food this morning, so her appetite and energy are good, and she's been pooping and peeing in the litter box and drinking water.

She's an adorable little poo poo and were trying to get her to like shoulder rides. She's good at velvet omg her paws so far

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
That little beauty mark on her face holy moly :kimchi:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Jayne Doe posted:

I use a top entry box and clumping litter and get a very small amount of tracking. (As another data point)

Thanks! I'll look into ordering the honeycomb pattern litter mat and top entry litter box.

Is there any issue with the cats stepping on poop when they enter?

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
So sometime early/middle August I'm going to be taking home a pair of kittens from the litter my parents are fostering. I haven't been a cat dad in many years so I'm doing a shopping spree (via Chewy/Amazon) to get all the necessities of cat life. I already picked up a Pioneer Pet metal drinking fountain but I'm looking for pretty much everything else still. So ya'll got any products to recommend to someone bringing a couple of ~12 week old kittens home? Specifically I'd like a good carrier I can put them both in and they can use as a bed/home base when I initially move them, I'll need boxes, litter, trees, toothbrushes etc as well. I'd like to get them used to wearing harnesses so I can let them safely enjoy the back yard. Also any tips for kitten proofing an apartment are welcome, right now I'm pretty much just planning on putting away anything they can knock down and getting some spray for any cords they get attracted to, along with toys, trees and a sibling I'm hoping they wont destroy too much precious TP.

Oh also how do I choose between these little monsters.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

One carrier per cat IMO. In stressful emergency situations it means you won't have to worry about them fighting each other while you're trying to deal with a house burning down or something like that

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i got the petkit feeder and fountain in, and they're both non working smarthome garbage.

the future is stupid

back to amazon they go

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

If you have to pick two pick the two who are absolutely inseparable besties so they get to stay together. Or whichever ones snuggle on you the most when you play with them. Or whichever ones are just the cutest. They're kittens, there's no wrong choices here.

12 week olds can share a carrier but you'll want two by the time they're cat sized rather than kitten sized. My main advice there is get a carrier that can load from the TOP as it's 1000% easier to drop a cat into a carrier than shove it in the front door of one.

The other stuff I'm sure whatever you get will be fine, most pet supplies are pretty easy to shop for. Just make sure you use metal or ceramic for bowls (plastic gets bacteria). Oh, and Armarkat sells very nice cat trees (order direct from their website.)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Deviant posted:

i got the petkit feeder and fountain in, and they're both non working smarthome garbage.

the future is stupid

back to amazon they go

What USB power adapter are you using for the fountain? I had issues with it until I used a bog standard USB power adapter and now no issues

Can't comment on the feeder

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Hi.

I live with my father and his four cats with my partner and my dog. In December, he and his partner went to Florida to be snowbirds, leaving me with the four cats. Then COVID-19 happened and he had to come back. While my father has returned to Toronto, he has been staying with his partner at her house (which is great because they're in their 70s and hate masks so w/e). They're planning to go back to Florida in December. Lol.

So I have four cats now. Welcome to the cat club (only one of the four lets me pet him :( )

Has anyone successfully managed to get a cat who hates dogs and a dog who hates cats to... get along? I know that this will be work on both sides but I would like to make it work.

Success stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

luscious posted:

Has anyone successfully managed to get a cat who hates dogs and a dog who hates cats to... get along?

Nope!

Happy to be of service.