Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Any recommendations for a midi controller for getting into the hobby?

Not really sure what I'd like since it's hard to get into stores to try stuff out, but I'd be using it with an iPad Pro 3rd Gen (not sure if USB-C can power stuff that lightning couldn't.)

The MPK Mini Mk2 and the LaunchKey Mini look neat, but most recommendations I read for my situation are a few months to a few years old.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

God damnit my neutron and keystep got delayed in shipping. Strongly considering trying to get a price match (proaudiostar has then for the same price but with a %15 off coupon) and doing curbside pickup at guitarcenter tomorrow

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Scholtz posted:

Not really sure what I'd like since it's hard to get into stores to try stuff out, but I'd be using it with an iPad Pro 3rd Gen (not sure if USB-C can power stuff that lightning couldn't.)

The MPK Mini Mk2 and the LaunchKey Mini look neat, but most recommendations I read for my situation are a few months to a few years old.

Thanks!

I love my Ableton Push 2

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Scholtz posted:

Thanks!

keystep

IIRC it should work even with lightning + the Apple USB adapter unplugged from the wall but if not you can power any USB stuff connected to an iPad by running it through a powered USB hub first.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

keystep does seem like a good choice because it's a great utility if you decide to add an analog synth like the neutron or whatever later

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Thanks for the suggestions! I just saw that there's a CME Xkey 37 Bluetooth for ~$120 near me so I think I'll try to look into that, and maybe get pads/knobs when I'm a bit more experienced.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
WORTHY MUSICAL GOON PROJECT HO:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933824&perpage=40

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Colin Benders doing a livestream this morning if you need some Saturday jams

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
The Korg Nanokey studio is really nice if you don't need traditionally shaped keys. It can work wired or via Bluetooth.

If you just want keys and don't need to be able to throw it in a bag, the Keystep is much nicer than the small 2 octave mini boards.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah, I think what I'll do is try to pick up this local one, and if that falls through I'll look into getting a Keystep, especially if that has some later utility with analog synths.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Scholtz posted:

Yeah, I think what I'll do is try to pick up this local one, and if that falls through I'll look into getting a Keystep, especially if that has some later utility with analog synths.

Yeah, it seems really tough to beat the value of a used keystep and used neutron (if you like the sound)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

mc 101 or electribe? or something else? for a 3 week road trip next week

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gave the bindubba a break to practice more straightforward sequencing again and i have something okay going. using some switches and s&h to animate things and change up the drums in this fragment.

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/8-note-fragment

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Pillow Face posted:

ok so synth goon 2dcat and my fav ableton monome artist no sir e are playing a 24-hour twitch stream fundraiser for a c-spam us senate candidate so i gotta plug:

stream link (starts 11 AM EDT tomorrow, july 25)
https://twitch.tv/jessica_scarane/

no sir e is on at 4 pm EDT:

https://youtu.be/1rzsWC3xChk

2dcat is on at 8 pm EDT:

https://youtu.be/HNouAUQS_EM

other goons:
donoteat @ noon EDT
twoday @ 4 am EDT
alobar @ 6 am EDT
nichael @ forever o'clock EDT

watch this now! fellow goon 2dcat is on w/a waldorf and jp8080

https://twitch.tv/jessica_scarane/

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Ableton audio routing question: I'd like to use the Valhalla reverb with my Neutron and keystep, but I can't figure out how to properly route the audio with my Behringer q802usb, any suggestions?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 26, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Google Butt posted:

Ableton audio routing question: I'd like to use the Valhalla reverb with my Neutron, but I can't figure out how to properly route the audio with my Behringer q802usb, any suggestions?

Good question, and I don't have a good answer. But, can't you just run audio in, turn on the channel i/o, then open any effect and record the wav? Not sure how this would be different than anything else :confused: Are you trying to do some MIDI stuff or something

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I got it figured out, had to download asio4all

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I just ordered the new Disting yesterday and am really stoked about it. But now I have 2hp to play with to finish my first rack. Anybody have any suggestions?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1132214

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

line level attenuator?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just tried out SWAM engine instruments and uh holy poo poo

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Origami Dali posted:

Their woodwinds are really really good! I have the saxes and am waiting for Black Friday to upgrade to the whole woodwind set personally

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

nominal posted:

I just ordered the new Disting yesterday and am really stoked about it. But now I have 2hp to play with to finish my first rack. Anybody have any suggestions?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1132214

2HP Logic?

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

j.peeba posted:

https://youtu.be/EdsN9zIVySA?t=625m
(The time should skip to 10h25min)

this is super rad

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Hydrasynth secured :slick: The components I ordered for DIY a month ago never arrived anyway lol

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

this

logic modules loving own

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Hydrasynth secured :slick: The components I ordered for DIY a month ago never arrived anyway lol

Awesome, enjoy that polyaftertouch

The battery voltage on the DX7 reads 2.9 So it's probably still good. I'll replace it anyway. I'm having to learn some DIY skills that will probably come in useful. I'm afraid to use it because that burning smell.
Also I'm a little on the fence regarding buying Renoise vs Renoise the VST

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

excellent bird guy posted:

Awesome, enjoy that polyaftertouch

Man that really sounds like an orgy that happens after the club shuts down for the night.

"Hey are you going to the polyaftertouch?"

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
History’s repeating:

https://youtu.be/IDn7ZDcx9w0

Exactly what the https://polyend.com/tracker/ was made for.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Laserjet 4P posted:

History’s repeating:

https://youtu.be/IDn7ZDcx9w0

Exactly what the https://polyend.com/tracker/ was made for.

Something that I've never quite thought about til now - those chords he does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDn7ZDcx9w0&t=929s, hes using the chord memory and they have this distinctive dissonant chord sound that the old dance stuff has and just sounds not quite right, is this originally an artefact of people sampling a chord then playing it back transposed with a sampler or just a weird technique that stuck?

Also I'm mighty tempted to try and get a polyend tracker to join/replace the OP1 as ~item I think will allow me to jot down and develop ideas but ends up not getting used very much~ at least with the polyend I can put everything into separate projects instead of scattering different ideas around the tape tracks on the OP1.

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 27, 2020

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Something that I've never quite thought about til now - those chords he does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDn7ZDcx9w0&t=929s, hes using the chord memory and they have this distinctive dissonant chord sound that the old dance stuff has and just sounds not quite right, is this originally an artefact of people sampling a chord then playing it back transposed with a sampler or just a weird technique that stuck?

It depends a bit what you call dissonant, but normally you would choose Cm / Gm / Bb / F. Transposing it turns it into Cm / Gm / Bbm / Fm. You usually sampled only one chord from any other material because there usually only was one. From synths it’s a different story but the chord memory was usually not sophisticated enough to know whether it had to switch from major to minor or vice versa - all it knows is the MIDI note number so you would have simple addition/subtraction from that without interval change.

In case of transposing samples, each note goes a little out of tune when you transpose from a Cmaj to a Dmaj because of 12TET - the third drops 1 Hz or so. Digitally controlled oscillators also lose resolution in the higher registers because the clock’s resolution drops too much - so they also get a bit more out of tune.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Synthcube finally released the black MFOS panels if that's your a e s t h e t i c

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Laserjet 4P posted:

It depends a bit what you call dissonant, but normally you would choose Cm / Gm / Bb / F. Transposing it turns it into Cm / Gm / Bbm / Fm. You usually sampled only one chord from any other material because there usually only was one. From synths it’s a different story but the chord memory was usually not sophisticated enough to know whether it had to switch from major to minor or vice versa - all it knows is the MIDI note number so you would have simple addition/subtraction from that without interval change.

In case of transposing samples, each note goes a little out of tune when you transpose from a Cmaj to a Dmaj because of 12TET - the third drops 1 Hz or so. Digitally controlled oscillators also lose resolution in the higher registers because the clock’s resolution drops too much - so they also get a bit more out of tune.

Thanks for the explanation, I guess its possibly because its a series of minor chords and doesn't really work like a regular chord progression. That's what I meant on the artefacts of sampling too - if its the same sample you don't have the option of of different chord types - if you sampled a minor chord, its only ever gonna be a minor.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wouldn't temperment mean that while the first and 5th are perfect ratios of each other, the middle note would be moving in and out of tune of the because if you are playing in a western scale, the interval between the first and third (or minor third) actually moves around by a few cents but a sample would keep the same interval?

Edit: Just actually read previous post. Please disregard.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 27, 2020

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Picked up a practically new in box keystep from a Pawn Shop for $85, boy this thing is fun to noodle around with!

Taking all suggestions for iPad apps and introductory videos/information you wish you knew when you first started this hobby! (Besides limiting spending, hah.)

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
spare yourself the trouble and go into midi control center and turn “arm to start” on

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Thanks for the explanation, I guess its possibly because its a series of minor chords and doesn't really work like a regular chord progression.

90’s norwegian black metal chord progressions

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

Are you using a breath controller?
I'm really curious as to their approach. Back in the day they called themselves SampleModeling and the product was Sax Bros, and my understanding was they basically recorded body impulses and samples, deconvolved the samples with the impulses, and then autotuned the samples to be able to blend them without running into phase issues. Do you think this is still what they're doing, or is it more synthesis-driven now?

snorch fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 28, 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

snorch posted:

Are you using a breath controller?
I'm really curious as to their approach. Back in the day they called themselves SampleModeling and the product was Sax Bros, and my understanding was they basically recorded body impulses and samples, deconvolved the samples with the impulses, and then autotuned the samples to be able to blend them without running into phase issues. Do you think this is still what they're doing, or is it more synthesis-driven now?

According to Audio Modeling, they're not using samples. That would explain why the digital footprint of the instrument plugins are super tiny. They're apparently doing physical modeling via digital waveguide synthesis. They've posted some of the research / algorithms the work is based on. I only used an expression pedal and after messing around with it for half an hour, I'm pretty sold on getting a breath controller for the variety of mapping you can do for different types of head movement.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
On my DX7, I did function+14 and the battery voltage showed as = 2.9 maybe. So I guess the battery is still good. I want to replace it anyway, and replace the caps. Is there a subforum in here, or somewhere i can go to get some direction? I am teaching myself this from scratch and really don't know where to start.
edit: i do have this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzYu63wJaoM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
don't replace the caps. the one's in there are probably fine. "recapping" isn't exactly bullshit but the likelihood of making poo poo worse compared to the benefit to the is super high. it's a common thing for video game consoles because they were made during the era of first generation surface mount electrolytic caps which fail 100% of the time.

is it failing to work in any way that it should? if not, leave it alone. if it's getting hot and smells funny it's probably still fine. it's old enough to have a forums account and probably hasn't been powered up in years. open it up, look at the power supply (the big fat transformer) and the stuff immediately around it. anything burnt? anything leaking? if not you're good.