Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Der Shovel posted:

I was then dogpiled by some "bicycling advocate" and his followers, because BICYCLE HELMETS HURT MORE THAN THEY HELP. Oh, word? How? Well turns out some people don't want to wear helmets and if they are forced to, they will instead just not ride a bike. So the spokesman for some pro-biking association advocates against bike helmets because mandating their use might limit the number of cyclists, despite being pretty loving essential protective gear.

Even if helmets weren't required I would still wear one. But as a counterpoint most bike helmets don't prevent whiplash or concussions because they were designed using computer models that treated the brain as a solid object.

Sex Skeleton fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

When a mommy plane and a daddy plane love each other very much...

That gives off a vibe more like the sort of tender scene you find under a table as you turn the light on at the pub

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

grillster posted:

Aren't a few cracks fairly normal? It's really only a problem when chunks fall out and air gets through, or when the police are looking for an issue.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Unfilled cracks and flecks in safety glass will some day spider web the entire pane and reduce visibility to 0. Never drive with a messed up windshield. The safety glass spirits to be free and try to forcibly exit through any imperfection.

Most insurance has reduced or no deductible for glass work and doesn't count it as a real claim because of people being like $200 to fill a chip haha not gonna and then spiderwebbing and getting into a real accident. So they just pay out for glass repair minimum questions asked unless you're getting like 5 chips filled a year.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My buddy has had a cracked windshield for close to ten years, now. It's cracking from both sides and he's waiting until they meet in the middle.

Yes, he has the money to fix it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Borrow his car and drive it over corrugated roads until that happens, then tell him he's a dickhead from me

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

zedprime posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Unfilled cracks and flecks in safety glass will some day spider web the entire pane and reduce visibility to 0. Never drive with a messed up windshield. The safety glass spirits to be free and try to forcibly exit through any imperfection.

Most insurance has reduced or no deductible for glass work and doesn't count it as a real claim because of people being like $200 to fill a chip haha not gonna and then spiderwebbing and getting into a real accident. So they just pay out for glass repair minimum questions asked unless you're getting like 5 chips filled a year.

More importantly, in modern cars, windshield glass is included in the calculations for crumple resistance of the top of the vehicle (A- and C-pillars), as they absorb and distribute impact force in a rollover.

Having the window pre-cracked, especially if the crack reaches the edge, fucks up that calculation by preweakening it severely.

I'm a moron who managed to put a barbecue grill through the rear windshield of my pickup while unloading it, and Allstate covered the whole thing for free. Last year, some rear end in a top hat at Lowes whacked my windshield with a 2x4 and put a crack in it that quickly shot across to both sides. Allstate covered the whole thing for free. Check with your insurer, for real.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
lots of people have cracked windshields like that in texas because its dry so there's lots of rocks and there's wild temperature variations that cause chips to turn into cracks with a quickness. I don't believe an uncracked windshield is part of the texas inspection, but then again I haven't had to do a texas vehicle inspection in over a decade.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Sapper posted:

I'm a moron who managed to put a barbecue grill through the rear windshield of my pickup while unloading it, and Allstate covered the whole thing for free. Last year, some rear end in a top hat at Lowes whacked my windshield with a 2x4 and put a crack in it that quickly shot across to both sides. Allstate covered the whole thing for free. Check with your insurer, for real.

Do you have full coverage or something that covers you breaking your own window? Because I'm pretty sure my liability-only-plus-uninsured-and-underinsured-motorist-coverage won't pay to replace a window if I break it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

vortmax posted:

Do you have full coverage or something that covers you breaking your own window? Because I'm pretty sure my liability-only-plus-uninsured-and-underinsured-motorist-coverage won't pay to replace a window if I break it.

Pro tip: don’t tell them anything other than it’s broken

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That is giving me all kinds of bad juju feelings and I can't articulate why

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/N63QwUl.mp4

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

An Iranian crypto-mining datacenter / waterpark

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Want to ride that arcology's lazy river.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

huh

well now that I know it's that kind of mining I no longer care

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Do... do they think they can generate electricity by pumping water up to the top and then running it through turbines coming down? Which in turn power the water pumps?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Do... do they think they can generate electricity by pumping water up to the top and then running it through turbines coming down? Which in turn power the water pumps?

Jeez, another idiot who doesn't understand how Bitcoin works... :rolleyes:

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PainterofCrap posted:

I had a hood do that on my '67 Cadillac at 45-MPH. (it was built with no secondary / safety catch for the hood)

Fortunately, I could still see out the side window, and fought back panic long enough to do the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjVCAF2dARo

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
horrifying negative ion products

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7TwBUxxIC0

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol this is great cinematography

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

You've heard of dissolving stitches? This is the same concept. When that seam has healed enough, those bolts naturally fall out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yup its usually Thorium. So afraid of RF they straight expose themselves to ionizing radiation

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

"do you think we need a buffer zone after using the water to cool our rigs"
"nah just radiate the heat generated by a supercomputer into the water slide"

the free market will sort them out!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A waterslide 40% taller than the WTC is awful enough to make the stupidity of the bitcoin angle negligible.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

architects.png

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

shame on an IGA posted:

A waterslide 40% taller than the WTC is awful enough to make the stupidity of the bitcoin angle negligible.

Hey, at least it's not a zipline!

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

shame on an IGA posted:

I mean it's not difficult for something to be taller than the WTC

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

vortmax posted:

I have comprehensive. It's $80 a year on me and the wifemobile and it covers vandalism, angry exes setting themselves on fire while setting the car on fire, and broken glass. But check with your insurer, or check that long-rear end policy tort document you got when you set up your policy. Glass is a safety issue, so it may be covered, and some insurers cover it as an enticement bonus.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Piss Meridian posted:

I mean it's not difficult for something to be taller than the WTC

Hehehehe

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BRB suing Iran for stealing my middle school sketbooks.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
That waterpark is 100% somehow going to burn down.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Wait...so they're generating power by spinning water wheels...with water they spent energy to pump up. A guaranteed net loss.

So at what point do they reveal the secret Iranian tech that lets them break the rules of physics. Because Bitcoin sure seems to break brains.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You let the pools fill up during summer, when, due to the tilt of the Earth, the building is facing down. Then, during winter, when the Earth tilts away, you generate electricity as that water drains

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Is concentrated H2O2 used in semiconductor manufacture? I swear every time I've driven over by Intel lately, there's been a big ol' tanker truck full of the stuff on the same route.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alkydere posted:

Wait...so they're generating power by spinning water wheels...with water they spent energy to pump up. A guaranteed net loss.

So at what point do they reveal the secret Iranian tech that lets them break the rules of physics. Because Bitcoin sure seems to break brains.

it's necessarily a net loss but i'm assuming it's like hybrid engines where you expend more energy spinning your tires than you can regenerate through braking. like if you're going to have to pump it back to the top anyway, yknow?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Segmentation Fox posted:

Is concentrated H2O2 used in semiconductor manufacture? I swear every time I've driven over by Intel lately, there's been a big ol' tanker truck full of the stuff on the same route.

Yeah it's used at very high concentrations to clean silicon wafers and etch copper

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Alkydere posted:

If they use their hydroelectric generators to supplement other power sources, they can reduce the amount of power they need from external sources.
Not the worst idea in theory, but you would have to run the numbers to see how much effect it would have.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

CommieGIR posted:

Yup its usually Thorium. So afraid of RF they straight expose themselves to ionizing radiation

Radium water all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Arban posted:

If they use their hydroelectric generators to supplement other power sources, they can reduce the amount of power they need from external sources.
Not the worst idea in theory, but you would have to run the numbers to see how much effect it would have.

If that site is to be believed it's supposed to be completely self-sustaining, but those hydroelectric generators are the only source of power listed.