Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

Or plugs. It’s just so convenient though

(And how else do we expect mechanic dads to have to get all flustered and uncomfortable telling their kid which end of a part or connector to get)

One of my friends calls cables/ports/whatever with the terms insertive/receptive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Methanar posted:

I'm still waiting for all plumbing components to have their gendered names removed.

Apparently this was quite the problem when designing the ISS as neither USA nor Russia wanted to be the female half.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Apparently this was quite the problem when designing the ISS as neither USA nor Russia wanted to be the female half.

I feel like it would be the other way around. The female half of something is usually the main thing the other thing plugs into. Being the female half would imply you're the ACTUAL ISS and the other piece is just an attachment. Then again, people are idiots.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sirotan posted:

Words matter, and there's no reason to continue using whitelist/blacklist or master/slave as tech terms when substitutes without racial overtones exist other than "well that's the way it's always been!"

Is master/slave even a term used anymore? I am pretty sure windows removed all the terminology long ago. I certainly haven't heard anyone use that term since... the 90's?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sickening posted:

Is master/slave even a term used anymore? I am pretty sure windows removed all the terminology long ago. I certainly haven't heard anyone use that term since... the 90's?

It's still used in the context of database replication, and I renamed an abstract class called "master" just yesterday.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
"Golden Master" for CD/DVD disks ?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

whitelist/blacklist were still pretty heavily used all over the place, but master/slave hasn't been used in hardware terms in a long time, though yeah database world it was still a thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

orange juche posted:

master/slave hasn't been used in hardware terms in a long time

Which has little to do with it being consciously phased out in place of other terminology and everything to do with SATA basically replacing IDE entirely at this point.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
In stacking switches, I've generally seen the primary member of the stack still called the "master." Of course, even that sentence shows how easy that terminology would be to replace: primary, main, controlling, lots of options.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

replace "master recording" with "the good one. no, the GOOD one. with the saxophone"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Weedle posted:

replace "master recording" with "the good one. no, the GOOD one. with the saxophone"

+1 except with "more snare crack"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I know with casting you make a "master" mould, but there's no slave moulds, you just make "copies".

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
modern society has already come up with an acceptable substitute term and it's 'daddy.'

posting in SH/SC heyoooooooo

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Now fix this one.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Strumpie posted:

modern society has already come up with an acceptable substitute term and it's 'daddy.'

posting in SH/SC heyoooooooo

Brb renaming my databases Daddy and littles

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

king(queen) / simp

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Geemer posted:

Now fix this one.
Well now isn't that a fond childhood memo...

:yikes:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Weedle posted:

_final_FINAL__[use this one] (3).docx

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The correct terms are dom and sub, obviously.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Bourgeois/Proletarian?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

InfoSec: were gonna move splunk to AWS

We currently ingest 2-3TB/day

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Last I heard (May) it was well over 4TB. I don't trust our infosec team to build anything at all. They can't even look at the current logging infrastructure without it falling over. Which is fantastic, because our internal library kills the application processes if it can't contact splunk!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

That definitely looks like something that is going to be expensive, but I feel like if you are ingesting 2-3tb of things a day you might have some other issues.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Motronic posted:

Which has little to do with it being consciously phased out in place of other terminology and everything to do with SATA basically replacing IDE entirely at this point.

It may have more than you think, since this isn't the first time I remember the industry having this conversation.

There is significantly less scoffing this time, tho.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sickening posted:

That definitely looks like something that is going to be expensive, but I feel like if you are ingesting 2-3tb of things a day you might have some other issues.

Part of it is being in the financial industry. Part of it is just volume of systems. A big part of it is our lolinfosec team.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

xsf421 posted:

Last I heard (May) it was well over 4TB. I don't trust our infosec team to build anything at all. They can't even look at the current logging infrastructure without it falling over. Which is fantastic, because our internal library kills the application processes if it can't contact splunk!

That's a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah make sure you keep us updated on it's inevitable implosion

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I migrated Splunk for a large healthcare that ingests 2TB/day to Azure. Annual costs come out to about $800k. Currently working on adding additional log sources that'll bring ingest up to their current Splunk license of 5TB/day, they'll probably be spending 1.2-1.5 a year just on Azure infrastructure.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

spankmeister posted:

That's a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Don't worry, we have the finest people with infosec bachelor's degrees and no actual engineering experience building out this super critical infrastructure!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I know video games that do multiples of this a day.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

I know video games that do multiples of this a day.

Ingesting large amounts of logs in itself isn't bad. I would think that the video game services/infrastructure that create those kinds numbers were also designed to.

When an average org is throwing out big daily numbers like that, the first thing I think is that throwing every source they can at it and aren't curating what is being sent. Every org I have been a part of has burned cash and lazy splunk implimentations in some form or another.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I've spent the few months pushing back and asking "Why are we logging and alerting on this? Will this produce anything actionable?" and the answer has always been "Well, we can log it, so of course we should. And you never know when you're going to need to do something about... something."

Alarm fatigue is a real thing, but the bosses who don't have to actually do anything about it refuse to realize it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My boss is really good about that, only alerts that we need to be woken up by or even truly care about during the day go into Opsgenie. It’s an iterative process, any time we run across a situation where a holy poo poo alarm should have happened, we get the alerting in place to cover the next time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's the best way to do it if you can afford* to have poo poo fall over before you catch it. The "log everything" method is... not smart.

*ETA: "afford" defined as "won't have a regulator up your rear end killing the business if you get popped" here.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I've spent the few months pushing back and asking "Why are we logging and alerting on this? Will this produce anything actionable?" and the answer has always been "Well, we can log it, so of course we should. And you never know when you're going to need to do something about... something."

Alarm fatigue is a real thing, but the bosses who don't have to actually do anything about it refuse to realize it.

The best policy I've ever seen for an alerting system was to forbid email alerts. It's either a formal incident with an SLA and all that jazz, or it's just a meter on a dashboard. If it's not important enough to make someone do a bunch of paperwork every time that it pops up, it isn't an alarm.

This means that if something goes off five times a day, someone gets pissed and starts screaming that all they do all day is clear incidents because CPU went over 50% and either they fix the threshold, fix the cpu problem, or turn off the cpu alarm.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

We've been actively reducing our Nagios alerts over the last few years, with efforts significantly ramped up over the last couple months. In some cases, we're replacing largely useless checks (swap usage, for example, which by itself is meaningless most of the time) with better ones (heavy active swapping/thrashing, in that case), adding logfile check exclusions, and creating a new check that e-mails the application administrators for certain logfile errors without creating an alert. Stuff like that.

In the last 2 months, we reduced our number of tickets generated by alerts by something like 80 percent and we've still got a bunch of stuff in the pipeline.

My goal is for any alert that generates a ticket or NOC call to require some sort of action. We're decent at the latter now, but the former still has a way to go.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I literally made an alert that includes in its message body 'No action is required' 2 weeks ago because my boss wanted one :)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Methanar posted:

I literally made an alert that includes in its message body 'No action is required' 2 weeks ago because my boss wanted one :)

We effectively have those as well in certain situations by virtue of utilizing an existing nagios check to notify when a thing happens that we want to know about rather than creating something else that would do it. I don't count something like that exactly where it's just leveraging an existing system rather than creating something new. Used sparingly that's not a huge deal.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

We have a particular alert that goes to our service desk that occurs maybe 2-3 times a month. The email has instructions for handling that include "create critical (P1) incident" and "call <list of names>". So of course, every time one comes in the entire 80-person IT department gets blasted by pages because a P1 was opened.

The manager of the team who owns the system is always complaining that the service desk doesn't need to do this, these aren't high priority, why are they calling us, etc. You wrote the loving alert verbiage, Jerry, so either change it or shut the gently caress up.

Of course, these definitely aren't P1 incidents, but if we don't do it then we'll just eat poo poo for not following instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have SolarWinds everything. I’m the only one who uses it. Any alerts that exist is because I set them up. They go to my mailbox. Shrug.