Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Rare elements are sometimes mined by Congolese children 😬
Hopefully ramping up battery production means finding a way to pay adults a fair wage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

shockingly things that people want to buy command a higher price

I want a stinger I just don’t need one :haw:

Tellurides seem pretty nice, the extra room over my sorento would be good for fitting car seats better.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I believe Tesla is trying to cut down on their use of rare elements. Likely not for any humanitarian reason but because it's a very unreliable price and supply chain that endangers their whole business.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't think batteries are incredibly constrained, it may depend on the market but Toyota is using Panasonic batteries in China, and anyone can go get CATL batteries. Panasonic has more unused capacity at GF1, but I imagine they're contractually bound to save them for Tesla. However, Tesla has renegotiated their arrangement many times in order to post a profit, so I'm surprised Panasonic has taken that opportunity to get some money out of what hasn't been a great investment for them.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I believe Tesla is trying to cut down on their use of rare elements. Likely not for any humanitarian reason but because it's a very unreliable price and supply chain that endangers their whole business.

Yeah, low-cobalt is a focus of battery research right now.

Ethical resource production and labor is a massive, global problem, Western Powers might have backed a couple in Bolivia recently to secure Lithium for example, all of China's problems with ethical labor and environmental protection etc.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
https://www.sae.org/news/2020/05/gm-ultium-battery-update

GM had good news on this front in May, though things have been quiet over the summer. Which is not surprising, given development cycles and current events.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Some other GM news: another round of Bolt EUV spy shots. https://www.autoblog.com/photos/chevy-bolt-euv-spy-shots/#slide-2252524

Looks like a new dash. Knowing the concept render for what the car should look like, you can get a decent idea for its relative size and shape. Looks like new infotainment too, while still keeping the cool floating center console.

E: this concept render of the new Buick version that's sold in China.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 25, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
RIP rearward visibility. It looks like a notable improvement on everything that people don't like about the current regular Bolt.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I'm back from jerk mod land.

I had a grandpa who lives a street over follow me home today in a Model 3 and check out my Y, then his wife showed up too. He apparently has one on order, first time I've been Tesla stalked. Grandpa was super happy to check it out :3:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

I'm back from jerk mod land.

Maybe don’t post about disabling safety features in your car immediately after a mod telling you not to.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

Maybe don’t post about disabling safety features in your car immediately after a mod telling you not to.

Don't tell me how to use my car.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

gently caress off

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

They didn’t. They told you not to post about it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress off

Agreed, op

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bum the Sad posted:

Elon where's my TBI

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Do not post yourself doing something stupid. Refrain from the gently caress offs too please, just hit the report buttons.

Thank you

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just gonna leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7jBLqSlzg

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Elon where's my TBI

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Is that what you plan on saying to the police if one of them catches you with your hands off the wheel?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do not post yourself doing something stupid. Refrain from the gently caress offs too please, just hit the report buttons.

Thank you

my bad

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bum the Sad posted:

Elon where's my TBI

?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Throttle Brain Injection

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Westy543 posted:

Some other GM news: another round of Bolt EUV spy shots. https://www.autoblog.com/photos/chevy-bolt-euv-spy-shots/#slide-2252524

Looks like a new dash. Knowing the concept render for what the car should look like, you can get a decent idea for its relative size and shape. Looks like new infotainment too, while still keeping the cool floating center console.

E: this concept render of the new Buick version that's sold in China.

That looks like our Zoe.
The sales of Zoe’s have apparently gone up 50% in the last year for Renault.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cardiac posted:

That looks like our Zoe.
The sales of Zoe’s have apparently gone up 50% in the last year for Renault.

Latest gens leafs are expensive as hell and there is no rebates of any kind, the dealers will only do sticker or worse. Zoes on the other hand will do discounts and do the battery lease program to lower the starting prices.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Hi all, hoping to gain some insight here. This is a crosspost from the VW/Audi thread.

Entertaining the idea of an e-Golf. As I start my research is there anything you guys would like to say about them?

Particularly a 2016 model (or newer) with 40k (but any year is fine).

I have read up on recent models from sources like Car and Driver.

This would be purely a work commuter for me with a 20 mile round trip. The TDI SportWagen is our family travel vehicle (that also goes 45 miles round trip highway for commuting).

Things that seem unclear to me:

Can it be plugged into a standard US 3 prong outlet, or do I require a charging station installed at home?

I don’t have a garage. Can I charge it safely even if it rains?

How is the driving performance when compared to gas versions? (Not very important but I love the torque and turbo on my SportWagen)

Maintenance costs and needs especially vs. a TSI (or standard gas/diesel engine). How expensive?

I think I found that charging costs are more expensive still than gas prices when comparing tank charge vs. gas and distance traveled. True?

Thanks for your help and input.

I really like Golfs and VWs so if an eGolf is reliable and I can get about 120k miles on it I think that would be great.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 26, 2020

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

dialhforhero posted:

I think I found that charging costs are more expensive still than gas prices when comparing tank charge vs. gas and distance traveled. True?
This prompted me to do the math on the Nissan Altima 2.5S I used to have vs the Tesla Model 3 Performance I have now on how much it costs per unit of distance.
The Nissan reached 42 MPG optimal when I was cruising on the highway. So best case at 42 MPG with the current gas prices here being $2.19/gallon that equals $0.052 cents per mile or 19.1 miles per dollar.
The Tesla is holding about 250 Wh/mile or 4 miles per kWh, electricity is $0.11/kWh here which translates to $0.0275/mile or 36.3 miles per dollar.

In reality the Altima was significantly worse than that because my daily commute was entirely city traffic and I tended to idle it a lot in winter to warm it up, even in summer I was getting ~20 MPG on average and I remember once in winter during a particularly cold stretch I was near 11 MPG (and fuel was closer to $3/gallon at the time). The Tesla is also likely to be significantly worse in winter because of running the heater/preconditioning and all that, but it should still be proportional to the Altima so it will still cost less in energy.

In your case charging from a standard US 3 prong 120v outlet is going to be a little less efficient than a 240v outlet (but yes you can do that with an e-Golf no problem), so it will cost slightly more to charge but still significantly less than filling up on gasoline or diesel. The e-golf is rated for a fairly similar ~245Wh/mile (~4 miles per kWh), so you can just calculate the numbers yourself, take the price per kWh off your electric bill and the price per gallon of fuel in your area and:
Miles per gallon divided by cost per gallon = miles per dollar.
Miles per kWh divided by cost per kWh = miles per dollar.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

I think you've messed up your math, probably. Or you live somewhere with incredibly inexpensive diesel and expensive electricity.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Numbers below are in pure fuel cost, it does not reflect TCO.

My 2015 Mazda3 diesel cost about 0.731 NOK per km / 12.84 cents per mile, the Tesla costs about 0.205 NOK per km / 3.6 cents per mile.

My Miata costs around 1.28 NOK per km / 22 cents per mile :sun:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
It going take a loooong time to for that Tesla to pay itself from fuel savings. I'm not much better though, I'm not going to save money buying a PHEV, but sometimes it's nice to buy cool tech.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Diesel is often 40 cents more expensive than regular gasoline here, or: approximately as much as premium.

For the kind of commute and mileage the TDI has, it was worth it. For my daily commute I am not sure a TDI is as efficient since there is more city driving. This e-Golf would be like my daily work commute (15 miles) and city driving e.g. stores, groceries, short travel.

My current 2nd car the e-Golf would replace is an ‘08 G6.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

It going take a loooong time to for that Tesla to pay itself from fuel savings. I'm not much better though, I'm not going to save money buying a PHEV, but sometimes it's nice to buy cool tech.

Oh yeah, that's never going to happen tbh. But the monthly costs for the Tesla is about the same as they were for the Mazda.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Wasn't the e-golf a half baked compliance vehicle? I swear I read that it doesn't have any active cooling for the battery system and range drops off precipitously.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MrOnBicycle posted:

More like never, I didn't get a P3D- with any expectation of saving money.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

dialhforhero posted:

Things that seem unclear to me:

Can it be plugged into a standard US 3 prong outlet, or do I require a charging station installed at home?

I don’t have a garage. Can I charge it safely even if it rains?

How is the driving performance when compared to gas versions? (Not very important but I love the torque and turbo on my SportWagen)

Maintenance costs and needs especially vs. a TSI (or standard gas/diesel engine). How expensive?

I have a Volt but I can answer a few of these questions.
If the car doesn't come with one you can buy a 120v charging station. If outdoors you probably want one rated for outdoor use like this one from Clipper Creek: https://store.clippercreek.com/pcs-15-portable-ev-charging-station. Charging on 120 is super slow but with a 20 mile round trip it should take about 5 hours to charge that back.
The J1772 port on most EVs is designed to be used outdoors and should be fine.
Torque on EVs is great and instant. There is no windup and even a small economy EV can push you back in the seat pretty easy.
EV cost is much lower. You can eliminate oil changes, and brake maintenance happens way less often due to regen systems. You'll still need to do suspension and tires like any other car.
Cost depends on gas cost and electricity prices. Rough estimate to go 20 miles with my current prices is about $.80 for electric vs $1.09 for gas. (figure about .31 kw/mi)

If the price is right for a small work commuter it would probably work out fine. The one thing you will want to consider is how much of a buffer you will need if you want to go somewhere beyond just work, and what the impact would be if you forgot to plug it in the night before and had to drive 2 days worth without recharging.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Shamino posted:

Wasn't the e-golf a half baked compliance vehicle? I swear I read that it doesn't have any active cooling for the battery system and range drops off precipitously.

Yeah, it was a gimmick - they just crowbarred an EV drivetrain into a normal Golf and shoved it out the door as a "Look! We're doing EVs too!" token gesture.

...then they sort of killed diesels with their "faking emissions is just as good as improving them" fuckup and had to start making actual EVs.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

dialhforhero posted:

Hi all, hoping to gain some insight here. This is a crosspost from the VW/Audi thread.

I really like Golfs and VWs so if an eGolf is reliable and I can get about 120k miles on it I think that would be great.

For your situation I think an egolf would be a fine choice if you can charge at home, even on 110v. They're not a serious business EV like a Tesla or a Hyundai but your commute won't be an issue. If it gets really cold or really hot where you live that might change things but even then you're going to have such a huge range buffer on a 20 mile round trip it's unlikely to be a problem.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Normal temps in the winter are in the 40s with only occasional cold fronts into the 20s and it is still mostly 30s but that is for usually just a couple of days.

Summers are 90s through and through.

Falls and Springs are very temperate/warm/pleasant.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Itzena posted:

Yeah, it was a gimmick - they just crowbarred an EV drivetrain into a normal Golf and shoved it out the door as a "Look! We're doing EVs too!" token gesture.

...then they sort of killed diesels with their "faking emissions is just as good as improving them" fuckup and had to start making actual EVs.

It's not a car that can replace a ICE car, but as a commuter car they're fine.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
a friend of mine cross-shopped a used e-golf with an i3, and found that almost no dealers or shops will touch an e-golf, so ended up with the i3 for about the same price but with the ability to get it fixed if something goes awry.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

a friend of mine cross-shopped a used e-golf with an i3, and found that almost no dealers or shops will touch an e-golf, so ended up with the i3 for about the same price but with the ability to get it fixed if something goes awry.

This is what I also want to know but I am a bit surprised a dealer wont touch it. There are a couple specialty VW/Audi/BMW independent shops by me. I should ask if they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

dialhforhero posted:

This is what I also want to know but I am a bit surprised a dealer wont touch it. There are a couple specialty VW/Audi/BMW independent shops by me. I should ask if they will.

It's the same with GM's electric offerings.

If you have a Volt, Bolt, or Spark EV. Only certain dealer service departments will touch them. I think this also applies to some of their hybrid offerings.