Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I imagine cracking open the code will result in The Old Ones coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Speaking of a game well known for its crazy lag, is there some setting I'm missing so browsing the gallery doesn't utterly cripple my pc while it loads up everything?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

sweeperbravo posted:

Anyone have more funny game anecdotes to share? i miss the random scenarios people used to come up with and show us screencaps of their playthroughs; i know that's passe in this post-LP world but i figure it couldnt hurt to ask

The game generated this townie for me:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

...doo doo doo doo doo doo?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Well.... does he?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, as someone who recently went Nostalgia-Diving into the very first Sims (Complete Collection. Never really touched Vacation or Superstar though), how strongly would you guys recommend any of the more "modern" Sims titles?

I have to admit, the sheer *volume* of extra content available for both 3 and 4 is terrifying.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah buying into the whole franchise now is an expensive prospect rather than having gradually spent that money over the years.

Coming off Sims 1 both 3 and 4 will be very easy to play and you'll find it far less challenging to get things done and keep your sims happy.

I never actually played 3, from what people have said they really liked it but it ended up a buggy, laggy, unplayable mess. I think base game and a few expansions loaded works ok.

4 is obviously the recent one, it's stable and plays well on the majority of computers even with a heavy expansion and mod load. The criticisms are that your sims have less personality and everything's too easy. There are, of course, mods to correct this.
You are probably better off getting 4 tbh and looking at summaries of the packs and their features to see what you want to add to the game.
Ask here and you'll get lots of different answers over which packs are best.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Yeah, while I loved Sims 3, I cant in good conscience recommend it due to how insanely bugged and poorly optimized it is. Sims 4 may have less personality but at least I can actually play it without waiting for 30 minute load times.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Uhh, on the note of Sims 1, one detail I can't remember and can't find elsewhere.

If I have a neighbor over and they die, does that affect their household? Or does it not count since it didn't happen while I was playing on their property?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I reinstalled 3 the other day on a modern system with tons of RAM, onto an SSD, and it still runs like poo poo. Sims 3 is the game where they eventually added a "please don't run too many of the addon packs and expansions at the same time" warning to the launcher, of course that was after they possibly already sold you all that content :haw:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Next time don't tuck me in this,

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

Uhh, on the note of Sims 1, one detail I can't remember and can't find elsewhere.

If I have a neighbor over and they die, does that affect their household? Or does it not count since it didn't happen while I was playing on their property?

Yes, they will "die IRL." This led to some unfortunate incidents when I got House Party and didn't realize that the- firework station? I forget what it was- could take out a good portion of my neighborhood in a single evening. A real killer barbecue

Other "off lot" changes ripple back to the involved family as well, like marriages, relationship scores, et cetera. I had a single male sim I played exclusively for a while and when he befriended Mortimer Goth, they quickly and seemingly without much input from me became more than friends; in TS1 you couldn't have a gay wedding but you could ask the person to move in and I was curious to see how it worked; that's how it came to be that Mortimer Goth and "Mike Witherspoon" were housemates with benefits and poor Bella was left alone with her child back at the old homestead

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I haven't played this in forever. Are there any mods that change the game to be a bit more "challenging" (it doesn't need to be difficult, just a bit more involved) or interesting? For instance, I remember there's a mod that makes moods more constant and harder to achieve (does anyone remember what it's called?) that was very good. Mods that make the world feel more alive would be great too.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JGKbW-jSPk

2020 is a wild ride.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

My money is on the one with the tearful but proud backstory about how the playing the sims helps them because of bad war but great america. Then everyone hugs them and sad music plays. They're told they've not won. But actually they have not-not won, meaning they have won! And the one that makes a face when things happen makes a face. That one gets a bigger youtube fanbase afterwards and they make that face in all their videos.

Who do you think will win?

(I am pissy because I thought this was going to be an announcement that they'd add a mechanic for making little competitions for your SIMS to win and lose at, not a constructed reality gameshow for people playing it.)

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Got this game about a month ago - I hadn't played the Sims since the very first one, so a lot of the complaints about how things are less interesting than 3 go completely over my head because I'm too busy marveling at all the mischief options :downs: I am pretty annoyed that you can't truly play it offline though, unless there's some Origin trick I don't know about. The only reason that didn't turn me off is because they were selling it for loving $6 so :shrug:

I see that the piss/poop fire thing is some hilarious bug, but I have a few other questions:

• What's so great about Seasons that everyone recommends it?
  • Is it worth caring about school/doing the homework? Do you gain buffs when your sim grows up?
  • How does stealing work? It doesn't seem like you can steal stuff in public, and it's seemed inconsistent what I could steal in houses. I didn't get the option to steal a lamp from a neighbor's house, but could steal one from the Landgraab's house.
  • Is there a mod to make it so if I switch houses, I don't come into my sims watching TV or playing BlicBlock instead of loving going to work? Like, it's 10am and I have a sim that starts work at 7, he should be at work and not just dicking around reading about guitar riffs or whatever.
  • Is there a mod to make it less likely that sims will start talking to other people during dates? Getting a little sick of the conversation turning awkward because I tried to flirt but then some rear end in a top hat sat down next to my sim and their date and introduced themself.
  • What are collectibles/stuff you dig for and what's the point? Fish obviously can be eaten or sold, but it seems like there's a whole world of random things to scrounge up.
  • WHY DO THEY KEEP WASHING DISHES IN THE BATHROOM SINK? The kitchen sink is right there!
  • Why do I keep getting moodlets from using the cell phone because I'm "off the grid", when I'm not on a lot that's off the grid?
  • How the hell does the game generate the ugliest outfits imaginable? How did they make a game have such specifically awful fashion sense?

Also while I like that sims can apparently make friends and enemies when you're not playing them, I do kinda wish I could know how my grown adult sim managed to become almost enemies with a child.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Is there a mod to make it so if I switch houses, I don't come into my sims watching TV or playing BlicBlock instead of loving going to work? Like, it's 10am and I have a sim that starts work at 7, he should be at work and not just dicking around reading about guitar riffs or whatever.
Sounds like your game is giving a disquietingly accurate simulation of quarantine

quote:

[*]How the hell does the game generate the ugliest outfits imaginable? How did they make a game have such specifically awful fashion sense?
This has been a proud feature of the franchise since TS2. (And goes well with its twin question, "Why is this outfit even a default option in vanilla gameplay?" I'm looking at you, scuba/gorilla suits)

(and arguably 1, mostly because heaven forbid your baby grow into a child wearing a hat or crown you don't want them to have on forever)

sweeperbravo fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 23, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

What's so great about Seasons that everyone recommends it?

I honestly don't care about Seasons, but a lot of people really like the weather effects.

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Is it worth caring about school/doing the homework? Do you gain buffs when your sim grows up?

Yes it is. Bad grades means the kids get bad traits growing up. Good grades allow you to freely choose which traits they get. Also, depending on which milestones they reach before becoming adults, they get additional, unique traits that can only be gotten by having a good upbringing. Like "Happy Toddler", which increase a Sims gains in all skills a little bit, and requires that they reach level 3 in each of the four toddler skills.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

• WHY DO THEY KEEP WASHING DISHES IN THE BATHROOM SINK? The kitchen sink is right there!

To be fair, this happened back in Sims 1, too - mainly if someone is already using the kitchen sink when they go to use it. Instead of waiting, they just look for another sink.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

My Sims will knock each other over to rush out of the bathroom (with a functioning, accessible sink) so they can climb two sets of ladders with their unwashed toilet hands and use the sink two loving floors up. Every. Time .

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

What's so great about Seasons that everyone recommends it?
Mostly the weather effects. Without them the game world feels a bit stuck, like time isn't really passing. Having weather and seasons helps with that and also brings some small amounts of variety in gameplay. I personally don't consider it a mandatory pack but it's probably the easiest to recommend out of all of them since it's got barely any downsides, other than occasional bugged sims freezing to death or dying of heatstroke despite not being cold or hot.

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Is there a mod to make it so if I switch houses, I don't come into my sims watching TV or playing BlicBlock instead of loving going to work? Like, it's 10am and I have a sim that starts work at 7, he should be at work and not just dicking around reading about guitar riffs or whatever.
That's just how the game works. I have no idea why it hasn't been changed, but the game only has a very limited number of AI behaviors it uses to "simulate" sims that aren't currently played and going to work/school isn't one of them. So they will never do it autonomously if they're not in the active household.

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

What are collectibles/stuff you dig for and what's the point? Fish obviously can be eaten or sold, but it seems like there's a whole world of random things to scrounge up.
I don't think they really have any real point, they're just collectibles with different degrees of rarity (and thus value) and occasionally minor gameplay effects like mood boosts. There is actually a collections tab somewhere in the UI (think it's the inventory or sth) where it keeps track of all the collectibles you've found, but that's about all there is to it.

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

WHY DO THEY KEEP WASHING DISHES IN THE BATHROOM SINK? The kitchen sink is right there!
Complex object choosing logic that makes no sense at all. The sims factor in a bunch of different things like distance and routing, but all that tends to get overridden by one of the sinks being "better" i.e. having a higher hygiene score. It's stupid.

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Why do I keep getting moodlets from using the cell phone because I'm "off the grid", when I'm not on a lot that's off the grid?
I'm pretty sure that's a bug. There's a bunch currently outstanding ones that are pretty annoying. Plants growing outside of home lots has apparently been broken since Seasons released in 2018 and still hasn't been fixed, which breaks the scientist career among other things.

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

How the hell does the game generate the ugliest outfits imaginable? How did they make a game have such specifically awful fashion sense?
It also generates the ugliest sims imaginable. Part of it is the fact that there's a bunch of ugly clothes and accessories available, another is that all the accessories and such are allowed in most clothing categories and that just tends to go horribly wrong.

SurelyForth
May 21, 2007

The worst part of NPC fashion disasters is the fact that the Sims 4 has had outfit templates since the base game and they add more with every pack. Like you might get some repetition or mismatches between style/personalities, but pulling from those instead or randomizing every single clothing/accessory slot per sim would mean the sims at least looked like they turned the lights on before getting dressed.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Is there a mod to make it less likely that sims will start talking to other people during dates? Getting a little sick of the conversation turning awkward because I tried to flirt but then some rear end in a top hat sat down next to my sim and their date and introduced themself.
This helps, something changed a while back and they're more aggressive with starting and interrupting conversations but it still seems to be less likely than vanilla.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/npcs-gently caress-off-no-33186485

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

WHY DO THEY KEEP WASHING DISHES IN THE BATHROOM SINK? The kitchen sink is right there!
The late Scumbumbo made a mod for that and it's been updated by the community.
https://scumbumbomods.com/dont-wash-dishes-where-you-angry-poop/

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Did anyone actually watch the first episode of Spark'd? It was really bad, in that sort of trainwrecky way that kept me watching. Also half the contestants were dressed like randomly generated Sims, so it was very on brand.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Zutaten posted:

Did anyone actually watch the first episode of Spark'd? It was really bad, in that sort of trainwrecky way that kept me watching. Also half the contestants were dressed like randomly generated Sims, so it was very on brand.

I watched the first half of it. I'll probably finish the rest tonight. Then I'll be committed to the trainwreck.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Are there any mods that mostly automate your Sims? I'd like to make the strategic choices like picking a career, what skills to work on, etc., but not have to micromanage needs or practicing the skills. Basically I just want to build pretty houses and then watch the game play itself. (Yes I like idle games, why do you ask.)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Edly posted:

Are there any mods that mostly automate your Sims? I'd like to make the strategic choices like picking a career, what skills to work on, etc., but not have to micromanage needs or practicing the skills. Basically I just want to build pretty houses and then watch the game play itself. (Yes I like idle games, why do you ask.)

I mean you could just get them set up then give them full automony and let them get on with it.
Sims don't make smart choices though, but it'll be amusing to watch at least.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sims 4 autonomy is mostly talking with each other, lining up to cook one meal after the other and clogging the sinks by grabbing cups of water and washing their hands. Provided I'm sure that is most sims autonomy

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I recently downloaded Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and had great time with it, despite some technical problems (mostly frame drops and occasional freezings, no major crashes or bugs). I have a lovely computer though, so I'm used to games not running smoothly but it occured to me that there definitely are some performance-improving mods. What would you recommend?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I am really liking the new assets for the knitting pack.

I think I will build a knitting room for my witch's evil lair.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80iSIC13nVQ

LGR's review is out, and I have to agree with him on this one. This knitting pack is so hyperfocused it's just about worthless unless you're really, really into knitting and/or are willing to pay EA's lovely tax for finally having the metal station back. Sims 4 certainly has well outstayed its welcome considering how utterly dire the DLC has been for two years now. And that's coming down from lowered expectations levels already.

Remember when Nightlife shipped with 50-something lots in a brand new world, a shitload of new clothing, a new lifestate, a bunch of new (functional! entirely new with original animations!) build/buy objects, and a whole God damned list of new gameplay systems? Or how the entire content of this "Nifty Knitting" pack was practically contained within the FreeTime pack as one singular part of the dozen or so hobbies, of course shipping with their own entire hobby enthusiasm system (along with yet another slew of reworked or new gameplay systems to add to the longevity of the game) to actually make you want to actually try the new stuff out? Because I remember. Even Sims 3 was miles beyond this dire garbage EA is selling now and that felt like a complete franchise low point looking back on it.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

It’s only $10

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

are you talking about the sims 2 nightlife or the sims 3 nightlife, because while the former was a exciting game changer, i think the general consensus was that sims 3 nightlife was a disappointment with a fame system no one enjoyed and the vampires were so bland that they released a second version of vampires with the supernatural pack.

the sims 4 has been kind of a weird ride, especially with how gutted the release was, but at least they removed the DLC store. i consider that a step up from the sims 3, along with an artstyle returning to a more stylized cartoonish look vs the weird doughy faces of ts3.

Splash Attack fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 31, 2020

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

inferis posted:

It’s only $10

As someone got got it for less than $10, it’s not worth $10.

The content is so sparse it feels like it should be a free update, not a paid pack.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

What’s the best stuff packs ?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Ruflux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80iSIC13nVQ

LGR's review is out, and I have to agree with him on this one. This knitting pack is so hyperfocused it's just about worthless unless you're really, really into knitting and/or are willing to pay EA's lovely tax for finally having the metal station back. Sims 4 certainly has well outstayed its welcome considering how utterly dire the DLC has been for two years now. And that's coming down from lowered expectations levels already.

Remember when Nightlife shipped with 50-something lots in a brand new world, a shitload of new clothing, a new lifestate, a bunch of new (functional! entirely new with original animations!) build/buy objects, and a whole God damned list of new gameplay systems? Or how the entire content of this "Nifty Knitting" pack was practically contained within the FreeTime pack as one singular part of the dozen or so hobbies, of course shipping with their own entire hobby enthusiasm system (along with yet another slew of reworked or new gameplay systems to add to the longevity of the game) to actually make you want to actually try the new stuff out? Because I remember. Even Sims 3 was miles beyond this dire garbage EA is selling now and that felt like a complete franchise low point looking back on it.

I have never knitted a thing but it seems like it's cute and good actually. What I really like about it is that it's something new which is refreshing with a game like the Sims. The DLC is "utterly dire"? I just can't go there with you or whoever LGR is on that one, the Eco Lifestlye pack was very enjoyable. I made a soda shop from soda I made in my shed!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I still say this pack is some basic poo poo, but now I have a panda hat, so...

They're knitting TOOOO much, though. And I hate the name "Plopsy." That. Sounds. Like a poo.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
What could cause "bad environment" outside? My sim keeps getting ~uncomfortable~ at this one specific area next to the house where i've started gardening. Is this a gardening thing? The plants look fine, and I can't see anything else that would make them whine - there isn't even anything inside the house that would set them off. Could it just be a glitch?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I've gotten invisible/underground weeds and rot from gardening that were impossible to remove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

I've gotten invisible/underground weeds and rot from gardening that were impossible to remove.

what an obnoxiously realistic simulation