Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm trying to broaden my horizons. Give me good poets, from any age

e e cummings remains my favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

NotNut posted:

recommend me a good book to read on a camping trip. maybe some fantasy or something else that would be enhanced by reading it outdoors

feeling a bit late here but i wanted to rec The Twisted Ones by T. Kingfisher for this one. folk horror rather than fantasy but with an ending that lands squarely in good-to-neutral territory, and most of the action takes place in rural North Carolina, a setting which is vastly enhanced by surrounding oneself with trees

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

NotNut posted:

recommend me a good book to read on a camping trip. maybe some fantasy or something else that would be enhanced by reading it outdoors

Ghost Wall by Sarah Moss. Short and weird and subtle and creepy.

I assume you were looking for fiction. If nonfiction, it's hard to get better than Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm trying to broaden my horizons. Give me good poets, from any age

Pale Fire by Nabokov

Its not a book of poetry, but it contains one long really good poem and a meta narrative from a lunatic mis-interpreting it based on his own narcissism. Its brilliant and its what got me liking poetry.

Also, the classics like Paradise Lost.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone :)

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Just finished Schild’s Ladder by Greg Egan after seeing it recommended in one of these threads as a good hard sci-fi book. It totally was, I really enjoyed it. Any other ones you’d recommend by him? For that matter, any other must-reads in the “hard sci-fi” genre aside from Blindsight/Echopraxia (also loved them). Thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tenacious J posted:

Just finished Schild’s Ladder by Greg Egan after seeing it recommended in one of these threads as a good hard sci-fi book. It totally was, I really enjoyed it. Any other ones you’d recommend by him? For that matter, any other must-reads in the “hard sci-fi” genre aside from Blindsight/Echopraxia (also loved them). Thanks.

Diaspora is hard SF and really broke my heart. Recommend. Permutation City has an excellent second act but I feel like a few of the concepts around consciousness and quantum magic are better addressed in Diaspora.

Books like those:

Embassytown by China Mieville (hard sf with a weird form of FTL that doesn’t matter)
Dragon’s Egg by Robert Forward
Anathem by Neal Stephenson

To name a few.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tenacious J posted:

Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora. It's about a generation ship headed towards Tau Ceti and the difficulties it faces.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Khizan posted:

Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora. It's about a generation ship headed towards Tau Ceti and the difficulties it faces.

This!

And Stephen Baxter’s Xeelee Sequence series. Raft is a good standalone novel from the series to see whether you’d like the rest.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

What’s a good book on sports for someone who doesn’t read? My dad hasn’t read a book in forever but he’s been bored out of his mind during quarantine and I think I could convince him to read something that’s an easy, engaging read about sports. He’s primarily a baseball guy but also loves football and hockey. Boston/New England fan across the board. Olympics could also work.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

TrixRabbi posted:

What’s a good book on sports for someone who doesn’t read? My dad hasn’t read a book in forever but he’s been bored out of his mind during quarantine and I think I could convince him to read something that’s an easy, engaging read about sports. He’s primarily a baseball guy but also loves football and hockey. Boston/New England fan across the board. Olympics could also work.

The Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn (baseball)
The Glory of their Times by Lawrence Ritter (baseball)
The Breaks of the Game by David Halberstam (basketball)
A season on the Brink by John Feinstein (basketball)
The Machine by Joe Posnanski (baseball)
The Boys on the Boat by Daniel Brown (Olympics)

I don’t know a lot of good football or hockey books, for whatever reason. There was a new book about Belichick that came out recently by Ian OConnor. gently caress the pats.

The semi recent Andre Agassi autobiography is supposedly pretty wild and also well written.

I assumed your dad would like books more about baseball stories/players than analytics stuff like Keith Law’s recent books.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not even a big basketball fan but I really enjoyed Bob Ryan and Terry Pluto's Forty-Eight Minutes, which is a deep dive into a Celtics/Cavaliers game back in 1987. Might be good for your dad with the Boston connection.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

TrixRabbi posted:

It's been a minute (like thirty years), but I remember liking Bob Uecker's Catcher in the Wry. Humorous, light, and full of stories about old-school players and their hijinks.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

TrixRabbi posted:

Those Guys Have All The Fun: The Oral History of ESPN.

Like, 800 pages long, interesting, and I think oral histories go down easier if he hasn’t read anything in a while.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

buffalo all day posted:

I don’t know a lot of good football or hockey books, for whatever reason.

The Game and Home Game (for some CanCon) by Ken Dryden
Behind the Bench by Dick Irvin

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Like, 800 pages long, interesting, and I think oral histories go down easier if he hasn’t read anything in a while.

Genius rec, he will have a lot of fun with this one.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah, I think oral histories are definitely a good way to go. My favorite sports one is Loose Balls, the history of the ABA, but I dunno if your dad would be into it because it's basketball. FWIW I am not a huge basketball fan but still recommend it a lot because it was so enjoyable.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

buffalo all day posted:

Genius rec, he will have a lot of fun with this one.

To give a little more background on one of mine - The Glory of their Times is a more or less oral history but it's focused on old-timey baseball players -- guys from the turn of the 20th century. The author went around and interviewed a ton of people in the late 50s and early 1960s as source material (interestingly, there's a lot of how X player from 1895 was the best player they ever saw...except for that Willie Mays fella who's really been catching on). There's a section on each player (think Mordecai "three fingers" brown, Rube Waddell, etc.). Very cool stuff.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
The Miracle of Castel di Sangro is the best sports book I ever read. Its a true story about a soccer team in Italy, but if I had to describee it id say its Moneyball crossed with The Godfather.

cherry13chumscum
Jun 14, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
What books would you say are the equivalents of a college course? Things that could be used as textbooks in some place you pay tuition at because they broaden your mind so much and are just that useful? I want to learn things. Just about anything. I'd like to have my preconceptions shaken up.

Yes, I am also looking for actual textbooks. It's difficult to find the best possible textbooks, but really easy to find ten or so bad ones that you slog through only to realize you could have spent your money on one that explained the subject properly in the first place.

One example of the kind of thing I'm looking for is say, for the topic of living off the grid, the Foxfire series. Or for cooking, the Joy of Cooking. Stuff like that. Any field at all.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

cherry13chumscum posted:

One example of the kind of thing I'm looking for is say, for the topic of living off the grid, the Foxfire series. Or for cooking, the Joy of Cooking. Stuff like that. Any field at all.

Any subject, you say? Ok, here’s a really random assortment of instructional books that I like a lot:
Metaphysics by van Inwagen
The Elements of Moral Philosophy by James Rachels
A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction
Das Kapital vol 1
Getting to Yes by Fisher & Ury
Learn to Play Go by Janice Kim
Bird Taxidermy by Carl Church
How to Develop a Super-power Memory by Harry Lorayne
Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby by Sandi Metz
Feeling Good/Feeling Good Together by David Burns (CBT)

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

cherry13chumscum posted:

What books would you say are the equivalents of a college course? Things that could be used as textbooks in some place you pay tuition at because they broaden your mind so much and are just that useful? I want to learn things. Just about anything. I'd like to have my preconceptions shaken up.

Yes, I am also looking for actual textbooks. It's difficult to find the best possible textbooks, but really easy to find ten or so bad ones that you slog through only to realize you could have spent your money on one that explained the subject properly in the first place.

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

cherry13chumscum posted:

For preconception shattering:

How to Kill a City by P. E. Moskowitz and Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond go extremely well together and will be very upsetting.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'd recommend Dreyer's English for learning to write more gooder.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Any good comprehensive books on arson or is that too much of a niche subject?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I read Last Night the DJ Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey by Bill Brewster and Frank Broughton. It's great. Is there a similar book that focuses more on hip-hop and turntablism?

e: preferably written by a person of color

Peteyfoot fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 25, 2020

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

cherry13chumscum posted:

The History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

cda posted:

The History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell.

I intend to read this at some point. I started it a few years ago but stopped as other books took priority at the time

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

I intend to read this at some point. I started it a few years ago but stopped as other books took priority at the time
I've never actually sat down and tried to read a chapter, but it's been incredibly useful as a reference when reading other books. Likewise, Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and Society is useful, though kinda dated now. There's a newer version New Keywords: A Revised Vocabulary of Culture and Society which I haven't gotten around to looking at.

cherry13chumscum posted:

Or for cooking, the Joy of Cooking. Stuff like that. Any field at all.

The New Basics Cookbook is a pretty all-encompassing cookbook. Everything is covered, right down to what pots should be used, cuts of meat, how to debone a fish, blanch a tomato, boil an egg, etc. Some of the recipes are astonishingly good too.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

On that note, I would love some recommendations for perennial cooking bibles for other cultures! Like for Danish cooking (lmao), every family will have a dog-eared copy of Frøken Jensen's Kogebog and God Mad. Bonus points if they are translated to English, of course.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Rhulman's Ratio is a very good general purpose cook book

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've never actually sat down and tried to read a chapter, but it's been incredibly useful as a reference when reading other books. Likewise, Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and Society is useful, though kinda dated now. There's a newer version New Keywords: A Revised Vocabulary of Culture and Society which I haven't gotten around to looking at.

Oh God yes, how could I have forgotten Keywords. That book is a perfect example of College Course in Book Form.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

On that note, I would love some recommendations for perennial cooking bibles for other cultures! Like for Danish cooking (lmao), every family will have a dog-eared copy of Frøken Jensen's Kogebog and God Mad. Bonus points if they are translated to English, of course.

Il Cucchiaio d'Argento

It is THE italian cooking bible and I believe has been translated into English. If you only own one cookbook, this should be it.

Ikaria is also a great cookbook for authentic Mediterranean food focusing on local cuisine from the Greek island with one of the highest life expectancies in the world.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

TommyGun85 posted:

Il Cucchiaio d'Argento

It is THE italian cooking bible and I believe has been translated into English. If you only own one cookbook, this should be it.

Ikaria is also a great cookbook for authentic Mediterranean food focusing on local cuisine from the Greek island with one of the highest life expectancies in the world.

Aww hell yeah. Thanks, I'm getting excited just thinking about this.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

cherry13chumscum posted:

This post was sort of a reverse recommendation as it made me go back through my Foxfire books and I'd forgotten how spellbinding they could be. So I just wanted to pass along a thanks. :tipshat:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

terre packet posted:

I read Last Night the DJ Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey by Bill Brewster and Frank Broughton. It's great. Is there a similar book that focuses more on hip-hop and turntablism?

e: preferably written by a person of color

Can't Stop Won't Stop by Jeff Chang? It's sitting on my bookshelf but I haven't gotten around to it yet. According to some reviews it's got a heavy focus on the politics and socio-economic conditions that shaped and were shaped by the early hip-hop scene.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

Can't Stop Won't Stop by Jeff Chang? It's sitting on my bookshelf but I haven't gotten around to it yet. According to some reviews it's got a heavy focus on the politics and socio-economic conditions that shaped and were shaped by the early hip-hop scene.

That definitely fits the bill, thank you!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Do we have a more general nonfiction thread I'm not seeing, outside the History Book thread? I suppose all nonfiction is history, sort of, but just curious.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

May I have a suggestion for books in the 'deep dive into something niche and ordinary' genre? I've read through most of Mark Kurlansky's stuff and enjoyed most of it.

I want to ask for true crime/mystery recommendations, but I still have to finish The Name of The Rose. I've been looking for a good whodunit type mystery that's not necessarily in the 'cozy mystery' genre, but I haven't found one. Reread The Westing Game, though. Holds up.

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Black Dahlia is a "based on true crime" noir novel that night scratch that itch...