Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Previous owner wanted to ensure that a laundry stand mount persisted through the heat death of the universe:

How the gently caress do I get rid of it?

Stuff that I've tried:

1. Digging: Got down roughly 2' on one side and the ground is very very settled. Haven't found the bottom yet and there's no movement from pushing on it.

2. Using a bottle jack to try and get some movement: maybe a millimeter or two under heavy strain. Hard to get purchase.

3. Hitting the gently caress out of it with a three pound sledge: minimal effect.

I'm on a very restrictive budget so I'd like to avoid renting heavy duty equipment if i can, but I'm legit stuck on what to do next.

When I removed a similarly encased fence post, I just grabbed an 8' 4x4, wedged it under a little lip in the concrete (it looks like your last picture has a decent one) and then used the 4x4 as a lever. Get something on top of the ground to act as a fulcrum (a stack of wood or something, and you should be able to get it to budge eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Could you explode it in some way? And record it and post it here?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Thought about drilling in with a masonry bit then filling it with black powder or something but lol I would find a way to kill myself.

The thirteen dollar concrete chisel seems like the long, cheap way to go.

Thanks thread!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Have you tried pulling it out with a motorcycle?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The thirteen dollar concrete chisel seems like the long, cheap way to go.

Thanks thread!

Boooooo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Good luck with the chisel. Get a big one and a sledge. I had a regular mailbox anchor and it took me hours of digging. Tried a chisel and tried yanking it with straps and my car, neither worked. Fabric straps will break, so if you try to yank it, use a chain and make sure you watch some videos on how to do it safely. Consider finding a way to cut/drill a slot to embed the chisel and then using a sledge to smash it in as opposed to holding the chisel by hand and dinking on it?

Here's how I eventually got my mailbox anchor out:

I still had to dig around it a whole bunch and had to keep dampening the surrounding dirt to get it to give at all. The ratchet strap pulled directly up on the anchor (better than pulling horizontally as a car would, etc) and simultaneously pushed the board down/in/under for better leverage. I eventually just levered it out after the board was forced down far enough/under the anchor. It helped to lift it out of the hole too since it weighs a bajillion pounds.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Rent a concrete breaker (electric jackhammer) from Lowes depot and bust that poo poo up.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Electric Jackhammer for a 1/2 day, maybe even the day should be about the same cost as the chisel...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Way less work too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Bro in law went to HD to rent a rotary hammer, and the guy at the counter whispered "just buy the one at Harbor Freight, costs the same as a day's rental here" :hfive:

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Previous owner wanted to ensure that a laundry stand mount persisted through the heat death of the universe:

How the gently caress do I get rid of it?

Stuff that I've tried:

1. Digging: Got down roughly 2' on one side and the ground is very very settled. Haven't found the bottom yet and there's no movement from pushing on it.

2. Using a bottle jack to try and get some movement: maybe a millimeter or two under heavy strain. Hard to get purchase.

3. Hitting the gently caress out of it with a three pound sledge: minimal effect.

I'm on a very restrictive budget so I'd like to avoid renting heavy duty equipment if i can, but I'm legit stuck on what to do next.

Soak the poo poo out of the ground around it, then slowly wiggle it in circles? That's how I managed to dislodge my fence posts.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

devicenull posted:

Soak the poo poo out of the ground around it, then slowly wiggle it in circles? That's how I managed to dislodge my fence posts.

:yeah: I've removed a mailbox stump and a satellite dish mounting post recently and my trick for both of them was to just get some leverage and wiggle until I could drag it out more or less horizontally. I didn't have to moisten the ground but my ground is wet enough that crayfish burrow in it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I want to redo this ceiling so it's not sagging from water damage. It's in the bathroom. Ignore how poo poo everything else is (the extractor fan and the ancient wall socket, if it were up to me I'd take it all out and replace it with more modern stuff but I don't know how to safely work with electricity). I was using a paint scraper to shovel all the damaged paint off, which peels away like it's somewhat rubbery. I also use it to chip away the underlying plaster, and I can't tell if it was a sheet or if someone plastered it by hand.

How would I go about redoing it so it doesn't get water damaged again? Do I take everything off, apply a new layer of plaster, let it dry and then put water-resistant paint over the top of it? Is this also a good time to redo the grouting in the corners between the ceiling and tiled wall?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I need to paint my stairwell. What is the best way of doing it without killing myself? I tried an edger because we want the above the stairs to be an accent wall and the results look like crap and it would be better if I could either tape or cut by hand.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

KKKLIP ART posted:

I need to paint my stairwell. What is the best way of doing it without killing myself? I tried an edger because we want the above the stairs to be an accent wall and the results look like crap and it would be better if I could either tape or cut by hand.

What size ladder you have?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Regular six foot ladder. I think I am just going to build a stair leveler. I have some spare 2x4s and 3/4 inch plywood in my shed. If i use 3 stairs worth of run, I can get my ladder there easily. I’ll have a spotter to make sure I don’t go tits up. Something like this unless you al see something I should change:

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 24, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Tell me about installing a floating floor on a floor that's on a slope. The foundation elevation survey says the floor is about an inch higher on one end of the room. I'm interested in installing laminate flooring. Will this be an issue at all?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Bioshuffle posted:

Tell me about installing a floating floor on a floor that's on a slope. The foundation elevation survey says the floor is about an inch higher on one end of the room. I'm interested in installing laminate flooring. Will this be an issue at all?

Is it a consistently flat slope? Like are their dips in the floor along the way? That’s your biggest problem with floating floors, if it’s not level the planks will flex when they span dips.

Otherwise I don’t see a problem installing them on a slope.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I put in a floating floor in my L-shaped living room where the floor has sunk in the inside corner by a couple inches, so there are 2 slopes coming together at a 90 degree angle. It hasn't been a problem, at first there was a little sprininess but after walking on it for a cuple years it's gone away. To minimise the effect, install your planks so they flex along their joints rather than along their length if you can.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Contemplating building some built-ins on either side of my fireplace in my family room where there are 61" by 28" alcoves. The current plan is to get four 30"x24" assembled base cabinets from home depot or whatever and install them on the floor, put a wood counter-top of some sort above them, and then build four 30"x12" book cases to mount on top of these base cabinets, and then use trim to fill in all the gaps.

Looking for advice on material selection- MDF? 3/4" ply? Planning on painting them all white.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
How hosed am I?

This is the subfloor in the basement below a first floor bathroom toilet that appears to have been leaking for quite some time.

The flooring in the bathroom is ceramic tile. I'm fairly certain the tile is sitting on concrete board.

There's no visible damage from inside the bathroom other than a bit of a musty smell at times, but it's not overpowering.

Is this a full-on mold remediation and subfloor replacement scenario?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dietrich posted:

Contemplating building some built-ins on either side of my fireplace in my family room where there are 61" by 28" alcoves. The current plan is to get four 30"x24" assembled base cabinets from home depot or whatever and install them on the floor, put a wood counter-top of some sort above them, and then build four 30"x12" book cases to mount on top of these base cabinets, and then use trim to fill in all the gaps.

Looking for advice on material selection- MDF? 3/4" ply? Planning on painting them all white.

30"x12" bookcases? MDF will be fine primed and painted.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

First, stop the leak (new closet flange seal/wax ring) then let it dry out.

If the floor integrity remains sound, then spray the gently caress out of it with Lysol or a 5% bleach solution. You're done.

If you're still nervous, paint over it with Kilz.

If the floor integrity becomes unsound, you will be pulling up the floor to replace at least that one section. If you own the property, then before doing this, consider calling your homeowner's insurance, and find out if they exclude for ongoing seepage (in which case, they won't cover it).

God, how I hate OSB. If that had been plywood, there'd be no issue.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm trying to find (or build) an assortment of different sizes of this type of screw, in M4 phillips:

Pictured one is 14mm, which is the minimum size I need in the set, and I'd like it to go up to about 45-50mm. I know it is a countersunk self-tapping screw but all the ones I can find have pointed ends for drilling into wood, or aren't countersunk. These are for plastic where the correct size holes already exist. I don't know what to search for to find this exact type of screw, and sites like this don't seem to stock them:

https://www.mcmaster.com/self-tapping-screws/screw-size~m4/

Also I'm in the US so don't know where the rest of the world buys its metric screws

Any help would be appreciated!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

d0s posted:

I'm trying to find (or build) an assortment of different sizes of this type of screw, in M4 phillips:

Pictured one is 14mm, which is the minimum size I need in the set, and I'd like it to go up to about 45-50mm. I know it is a countersunk self-tapping screw but all the ones I can find have pointed ends for drilling into wood, or aren't countersunk. These are for plastic where the correct size holes already exist. I don't know what to search for to find this exact type of screw, and sites like this don't seem to stock them:

Also I'm in the US so don't know where the rest of the world buys its metric screws

It looks like a “plastite” screw. Are you going into plastic? They’re cheap on Aliexpress but you’ll have to wait a month.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

d0s posted:

The term you're looking for is "thread forming", which is forming thread in plastic vs "self tapping" which will have the somewhat pointy ends for other materials. Plastite is a particular configuration of thread forming screw that a company licenses to manufacturers, but the name is also used generically as the kleenex of thread forming screws.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

If you own the property, then before doing this, consider calling your homeowner's insurance, and find out if they exclude for ongoing seepage (in which case, they won't cover it).

Almost all normal policies exclude this; it's a maintenance issue that the homeowner should've noticed and repaired.

If you ever have a flood from plumbing, the magic words for an insurance claim are "sudden and accidental".

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That doesn't look like it would be worth a claim anyways. I doubt it would run to 3x+ the deductible.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks for the screw advice, it pointed me in the right direction

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

We found this vintage rattan shelf and want to mount it to the wall in a spare bathroom. It doesn't have any mounting points.What would be a good way to do this?

Rear

Front

arbybaconator fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 25, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Sending the home inspection report to a handyman to pin point the things I'd like him to do so I don't have to make a whole separate email of lists- stupid idea or smart idea? I think I may end up hiring one person to do painting and fix some of the things I don't want to do myself, like fixing up a water heater vent that's open to the elements and some mortar work.

He mentioned he wouldn't do mortar work if it was severe enough to hire a mason, but he could patch it with something like caulk if it was minor enough and he'd be done in like 15 minutes.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

arbybaconator posted:

We found this vintage rattan shelf and want to mount it to the wall in a spare bathroom. It doesn't have any mounting points.What would be a good way to do this?

Rear

Front

Don't have a good idea on how to mount that without possibly damaging it, but did want to mention you are holding it upside down.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bioshuffle posted:

Sending the home inspection report to a handyman to pin point the things I'd like him to do so I don't have to make a whole separate email of lists- stupid idea or smart idea? I think I may end up hiring one person to do painting and fix some of the things I don't want to do myself, like fixing up a water heater vent that's open to the elements and some mortar work.

He mentioned he wouldn't do mortar work if it was severe enough to hire a mason, but he could patch it with something like caulk if it was minor enough and he'd be done in like 15 minutes.

Get a written estimate before he starts.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

arbybaconator posted:

Rear

Front

2/4/6 small hooks for it to rest on

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

arbybaconator posted:

Rear

Front

So... Hope you're not going to put more than a couple pounds of weight on that total. Without altering or causing any damage, I'd use pipe clamps around the uprights against the wall. If allowed to alter or damage it, I'd drill holes through the uprights and put anchors in the wall behind those holes.

I mention the weight because when that's stood on the floor the shelves put their weight through all four uprights. Hung on the wall you're only supporting the rear ones, the weight on the shelves is going to cause the front to sink.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Some time ago I posted about my blower motor on my furnace not wanting to work sometimes. I procrastinated fixing it.... Well over the weekend it went to poo poo and would only successfully start 1 out of 5 tries.

Turned out to be it was indeed the run capacitor. Even though the old one looks good (no bulging or leaking), and measures fine with the equipment I have to measure it (bang-on at 15uf and appears to charge up fine). Replacing it fixed the problem immediately. Blower starts every time now.

I actually took one from my neighbors junk in their barn.. They had a blower unit with a 10uF cap laying around. I have a proper brand new 15uF cap coming Monday.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Recently purchased and assembled a cedar pergola kit from a local cedar supply yard. Went together great, but there's a bit of racking to the structure (probably because I opted it to be a bit taller than the average). Their standard kit doesn't include any sort of knee bracing, but I figure that might be the best solution for it. Is there a magic ratio for measuring out knee bracing? Just wondering if I should just measure more for clearance and looks. I'm also interested on input for the best way to approach this for the bracing itself (fastening/should I just get more 6x6 and cut to size?) Photo attached for what our beam assembly looks like.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Cross posting from the home buying thread, but does this look like water damage?
https://imgur.com/a/OPnS0ci

The sellers finally cleared out their garage of the moving boxes, and this was what was awaiting below. I have no idea how the hell I'm going to clean this up, but it looks like.. paint and grease? How much work am I looking at here to clean all this up?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Rent a power washer and a floor buffer and grab some concrete etch solution while you're at it.

Power wash the surface, toss the solution on it and follow the directions. Run the buffer over it with an aggressive pad, power wash again.

At this point you can let it dry and apply one of those garage floor treatment kits if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

Cross posting from the home buying thread, but does this look like water damage?
https://imgur.com/a/OPnS0ci

The sellers finally cleared out their garage of the moving boxes, and this was what was awaiting below. I have no idea how the hell I'm going to clean this up, but it looks like.. paint and grease? How much work am I looking at here to clean all this up?

Congrats, you have a perfect excuse to put down epoxy floors! Step one of that is to grid the surface off which is going to remove all that crap.

If you're not intending to coat it in any way, it's unlikely to be worth your time to do anything but pressure washing... those stains are just going to happen again whenever your car drips oil or other fluids.